homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Cluedo: Some Body to Love (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Cluedo: Some Body to Love
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mr Black cordially invites you for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres at Shipton House on 7th June at 7.00pm

Dinner immediately following

RSVP

You stare at the invitation in your hand. Who is Mr Black? Why is he inviting you to this rather posh-sounding do? Will your curiosity and fondness for fine dining overcome your natural suspicion at this unexplained summons?

I am Gumble, Mr Black's butler, and this thread is provided to allow his guests to accept the invitation and entertain themselves at a nearby hostelry so as to avoid the terrible crime of arriving early. Please feel free to introduce yourselves so that you can all get to know each other. I'm sure everything will go perfectly to plan on the 7th, but if anything should go wrong, I will be sure to give you all the information you need.

[ 17. July 2011, 03:42: Message edited by: AristonAstuanax ]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Shipton House kitchens, Mrs White, is hurrying around trying to get everything ready.
quote:
'Orses dooberries is all very well, but these things take proper preparation. I've had to buy in blini – buy 'em! The humiliation. Still, the lot he's invited probably wouldn't know a proper blini if it sat up and said 'hello' – tho', I suppose a blini would say it in Russian, so maybe you can't blame 'em for not knowing that.

'E ain't got no consideration for others, that Mr. Black. “Just open a few pickle jars,” 'e says to me, “an' some crisps and peanuts. That'll do.” Crisps and peanuts! Yes, 'e did. An' I says to 'im, I says: “I didn't go to no bloomin' blue riband cookery school to serve up crisps and peanuts,” I says. “If crisps and peanuts is what you want,” I says, “then you can get Mrs. Thing from up the village for 'alf what you pay me”.

“Ah," 'e says,” but the main thing is oo's stayin' for dinner and what we give them then. Nothing but the best,” 'e says, “and you, Mrs. White, are the best.” Oh yes, 'e can charm the birds from the trees, that man. They say 'e was quite a ladies man, once, though you'd never think that now, not if you knew...

Was that the doorbell? Gumble's down the cellar, supposedly selecting the wines for the meal - guzzlin' the best 'isself is more like - so I'd better go and answer it, I suppose.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Col. Colonel "Colonel" Mustard made a quick inspection of the study. Everything had its place, nice and orderly, just as things should be—proper precision could be a virtue, no? Even the antique revolver in its case on the mantel had been polished to a perfect shine; for an old antique (was that actually ivory inlay in the grip?), it looked like it might still be serviceable, if worse came to worse.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to be Colonel Mustard. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I want to be Colonel Mustard. [Smile]

(You're just so happy you got to post that so early, aren't you??)

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to be Peacock!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Scarlet opened her wardrobe and looked at her clothes, what was the right thing to wear for an evening at Shipton House? She looked at the selection of dresses, maybe the dark green, or she did love the scarlet one. Maybe an excuse for a trip to town to get something new?
She closed the door to the wardrobe and went in search of her notlets to write accepting the invite, she could drop it off on her way to town.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Professor Plum set down the article he was reading as his wife bustled into the room looking stern. "You're going to make us late" she said with a hint of scolding in her voice.
"I'm sorry my dear" he replied in a distracted way. "By the way, did you ever reply to Mr Black about the cocktails?"
"When would I have had time to do that?"
"Okay. I'll let him know that we're coming."

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dammit I wanted to be Miss Scarlet. Oh well.

I'm in for the game, I'll have to think a bit more about who I want to be.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since Miss Scarlet's taken -

Miss Jenny Peach curses under her breath as she trips over a Buzz Lightyear toy that’s been left in the middle of the nursery floor, almost spraining her ankle. She told Melchior to put that thing away. The Black children are quite appallingly spoiled, and this is possibly the worst nannying job she’s ever had.

On the other hand, she suspects Mr. Black actually feels quite badly about the feral behaviour of his children, and if she can get them into bed, she’ll be able to come down to the cocktail. She’s not optimistic though. At this stage, more of Portia’s bathwater is on the bathroom floor than in the bathtub…

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs. Peacock sharpens her knife and snaps her rope like a whip. She kept many tools of her trade during a long career as a stage technician.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When Mrs. White finally reaches the door, there appears to be no one there. She grumbles her way back to the kitchen.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dr. Silver glanced at his watch and sighed. He wasn't sure why he had accepted the invitation from a total stranger, except that he could never resist a puzzle. He laid the well-worn copy of The Interpretation of Dreams on the side table, rose from the wing-back chair, slipped on his dinner jacket and straightened his tie. The cab should be arriving any minute now...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rev Green stumbled up the driveway looking at the house through gin induced fog. Unbeknown to him, he had taken a wrong turning so instead of attending the annual Communion Wine tasting event as he thought, he was about to experience a very strange weekend he would never forget.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In order to avoid any doubt, and so that everyone knows roughly what's going on, a few ground rules.

You can obviously specify your character name, and develop your character in whatever way you see fit. Colour-related names are traditional, but not essential if you find that there's little left but beige and puce.

When you arrive at the party, where there may be some additional non-playing characters (NPCs), you will each discover some information which may prove useful to your investigations. Latecomers are welcome - in fact, it may be impossible to keep them away if the local press take an interest - but they will miss out on these useful clues.

After this, the interrogation phase works in a very similar way to the board game. Each day (I don't intend to count weekends) you may each pose a public question to another character, either another player or an NPC, possibly subject to specified constraints. When the deadline for questioning has passed, I will announce who has been given some information from their enquiries, and send that information by PM to the lucky (or skilful) players.

A formal accusation may be made at any point, and the first person to correctly name the murderer, weapon and location wins. If you make a false accusation, there will be... consequences.

I hope this is sufficient information for now - more specific details will be explained at the party itself.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord Burgundy snorted in indignation.

‘Hell’s teeth, and who’s this blighter when he’s at home? Some scrounger no doubt, everybody has a bally sob story these days… ‘Dr’ is it? Prol’ly thinks I’m a soft sort, wants to touch me up to fund free operations for East End children or some such rot!’

Ripping off his wellies, he flung them across the piles of furniture heaped in the centre of the chaotic Great Hall of Burundian Manor and onto the antlers of a rather moth-eaten moose-head.

‘As though I could if I wanted, which I DON’T’, his Lordship continued fulminating to himself, ‘Can hardly scrape together the cash to keep this place going. Bally Marxists!’

He looked up as a drop of rainwater dripped onto his Noble Brow through the badly patched hole in the roof. He cast another eye over the Invite.

‘Wouldn’t say no to a good dinner though…’, he muttered. ‘Doctors do alright for themselves these days, might have a good drop of plonk on offer. Haven’t had a sniff of Chateau La Tour since old ‘Stinker’ Fanshaw filled a bathtub with it to toast the Jubilee. Those were the days! Ha. Perhaps I’ll make an appearance… It’s shooting season and you never know… This ‘Black’ wallah might have Game as well…’

[ 03. June 2011, 18:34: Message edited by: dj_ordinaire ]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The doorbell rang. Silver hurried downstairs to find the cabbie on the stoop, a slip of paper in his hand.

"Mr. Sylvester Silver?" the cabbie inquired in a thick South London accent.

"Dr. Silver, actually," Silver said absently, as he turned to the coat closet. It was unseasonably cool and wet for June, though not actually raining at the moment. He put on the dark blue Burberry and a broad-brimmed fedora, and followed the cabbie down the steps to the taxi.

"Pardon me, Doctor. Sally--she's the dispatcher--didn't give me the Doctor bit." The cab pulled out into the evening traffic.

"Don't worry about it--I'm not actually that fussy about being called Doctor all the time anyway. Sometimes I'd rather people didn't know."

"Yer wouldn't have any idea what to do about sciatica, would yer? Some days it bothers me somethin' awful, what with sittin' on me arse all day, beggin' yer pardon."

"Not that kind of doctor, I'm afraid. I'm a psychoanalyst."

"Cor, you must 'ear some interesting stories."

"Yes, though no more than you, I expect."

"I dunno--bloody soddin' bugger, did you pull your drivin' license out of yer..." The cabbie twisted the wheel and braked hard as he was cut off by a young man in a red roadster. "Oh, sorry, Doc, but some of these young toffs ain't got a clue. Anyway, I hear some stories, but aren't the ones you hear all about--y'know, bendy and that?"

"Bendy? Oh, yes, sometimes they are about sex, though not as much as most people imagine. Still, it is the thing people think about but often don't dare talk about except with a doctor, isn't it?"

"I guess." It was beginning to drizzle. The sun was presumably nearly set, not that one could tell through the thick grey clouds. The cab wound through the streets, out into a district where the houses were set back from the road, behind walls and wrought-iron gates.

"Shipton House is roit up 'ere on the left, Doc."

"Oh, my goodness, I had no idea we'd get here this quickly--it's barely twenty past six. Is there a decent pub, or a restaurant with a lounge where I could wait? Someplace where I wouldn't have too far to walk in the rain?"

"Gotcher, Doc--I know just the place. Have yer there in a jif."

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Mrs. Peacock ambles down the steps and hails a black cab. She hops in and requests to be taken to Hyde Park Corner.

--------------------

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Amethyst was thrilled to be invited to a society party. It had been so long since she'd been invited anywhere; once a spinster reaches a certain age it becomes difficult for hostesses to find suitable men to pair with her in order to balance the table. These days, Miss Amethyst could often get into parties only by chaperoning her spotty, mopey 16-year-old nieces. How wonderful it would be to go to a nice dinner without them!

Hmmm... cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, and dinner to follow... Miss Amethyst wondered if there would also be dancing? Surely the time was right for a new pair of sequined slippers!

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Scarlet looked at the dress hanging on the front of the wardrobe, it was definetly a good choice, long and scarlet but with a slit up the side, it would go beautifully with her spaggeti high heel sandles. As she started to get ready she turned on the radio and sang along to the music. Tonight is going to be a good night she thought to herself.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lady Bertha Lemon strode purposefully up the path. She had always wanted to see the inside of Shipton House. It was rumoured there were some exquisite Chippendales and Beardsleys to be seen there, and she could tell a fake at a glance. She hoped this invitation would confirm things one way or the other, and fingered her quizzing glass in anticipation.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

No, Portia, you may not go to bed in your Pocahontas costume. Put. On. Your. Pyjamas. No, I haven't washed the pink ones yet since you wore them to climb that tree yesterday. You'll have to wear the yellow ones.

Miss Peach resists the temptation to slip a sleeping drug into the children's hot chocolate. It's not entirely their fault of course. Their behaviour has definitely worsened since Mrs. Black ran off with that used ice-cream van salesman.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Having missed the flash mob she had heard about, Mrs. Peacock stays in the black cab and goes on to Shipton House. She hopes than the slim silver necklace sets off her little black dress nicely. She had dieted for weeks in order to be able to get in it.

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord Burgundy growled to himself the whole journey muttering words like 'Taxis!' and 'Never should have had to sell the Bentley' and 'Pfah!' His mood had hardly improved with the weather either - looked like a thunderstorm was coming on...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Some responses to your invitation, Mr Black.

Mrs White - QLib
Col Mustard - AristonAstuanax
Mrs Peacock - Sir Kevin
Miss Scarlet - Surfing Madness
Prof Plum - Imaginary Friend
Miss Peach - la vie en rouge
Dr Silver - Timothy the Obscure
Rev Green - Spike
Lord Burgundy - dj_ordinaire
Miss Amethyst - Antisocial Alto
Lady Lemon - Banner Lady

I fear the local post may be causing some acceptance notes to be delayed. I shall endeavour to ensure that none of your guests are turned away tomorrow evening because of this, and we may get some further replies in the morning delivery.

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent] since I draw the line at being khaki...[/tangent]

"Mmmmm," said Ginger. "Wonder what all this is in aid of. Still, I'm not really doing anything else, so I might as well see what's going on....
Wait, hang on... Cocktails and horses doovers?... Bugger that - sounds posh... Phew, it doesn't say anything about black tie. That's all right then - T-shirt, jeans and Doc Martens will be fine!"

And with that, Ginger set out.

[ 06. June 2011, 22:10: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

Dr. Silver stepped into the snug of the Duke of Denver's Arms. He was the only customer. The bartender was polishing glasses, but looked up as he entered. Silver nodded politely.

"Scotch. Make it double. And something for yourself?"

"Thank you sir." The bartender poured the whisky and set it on the bar. Silver laid a fiver beside it, and said "Nice little place--I haven't been in this neighborhood before."

"It's quiet, but we do a good custom. What brings you here?"

Silver paused. "Mmmm...I've been invited to dinner at Shipton House, but I arrived a bit early, so I thought I'd wait it out here. I don't actually know Mr. Black, mind you--does he come here often?"

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Austin Eliab studied Mr Black's invitation thoughtfully as the helicopter circled Mr Black's lawn before descending. Did he know Black? Possibly. But a successful journalist could hardly keep track of every individual he may have interviewed, investigated, bribed, blackmailed or screwed (literally or figuratively) over the years, and the name rang no bells. Most likely, now that Austin was a wealthy and fashionable, if thoroughly unpleasant, presence in public life as the owner and editor of several newspapers, Black had simply taken a chance on getting his squalid little social gathering noticed.

Austin absent-mindedly tucked the invitation between the pages of the latest issue of Sixteen ‘n' Sizzlin', and blew his nose on the (pristine) sheet of Kleenex that it replaced as page marker. The unsolicited and unexplained invitation was clearly an impertinence, but today was going to be Mr Black's lucky day - he would be getting the pleasure of Austin Eliab's company. Eliab had made most of his money from blackmail, and was prepared to admire anyone's chutzpah and ambition, since those qualities so often indicated a man or woman with something to hide. But he had made his reputation as a crime reporter, with a nose for intrigue, a passion for a good murder, and (he would be the first to admit) an absolute lack of scruple. There was something about Shipton House, something ominous and mysterious, which stirred vague memories in Austin's mind, and put a delighted spring in his step as he alighted from the helicopter and drove his heels into Black's croquet lawn with merry malevolence as he made his way to the front door.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ginger slouched into the Duke of Denver's Arms, rucksack over shoulder, and ordered a pint of cider.

A book was removed from one of the rucksack's pockets, the rucksack was dropped casually in a corner and Ginger sat down with the cider and started reading.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Professor Plum was going through a purple patch: One of his brighter students had conclusively proven that using maroon bulbs at stop lights would significantly increase the frequency of traffic accidents! The professor was certain that he would be able to ride this wave of discovery all the way to international recognition and a life spent cruising around the world attending conferences and lapping up the adulation of his adoring fans. His eyes sparkling like amethyst, he picked up the mauve coffee cup and trotted off to the kitchen in search of a top-up. In the hallway, he bumped into his wife, who commented on his perky features with a touch of nervousness behind her voice.
"Oh no, my dear, everything is fantastic", he boomed in reply, voice like claret and intonation sprinkled with mulberry, "I have a feeling that tonight is going to be a wonderful evening!" He continued on his way, humming something by Deep Purple under his breath. His wife sighed with a depth of feeling that spoke of long experience and went upstairs to get dressed.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

With the addition of Ginger (kingsfold) and Austin Eliab, there appear to be 13 guests. I do hope that isn't a bad omen.

Welcome to you all. Mr Black will be with you shortly, but he has specifically instructed that you should feel free to explore the house before dinner.

Please excuse me, I shall return shortly.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Please also allow me to introduce Mr Grey and Captain Brown. They are both old friends of Mr Black, and their arrival at least ensures that we have a more auspicious number of guests.

Mr Grey and Captain Brown are Non-Playing Characters (NPCs). It will be possible to interrogate them in exactly the same way as any other player.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lady Lemon, resplendent in beaded sheath and wearing the famous Lemon Circlet - a headband of citrines and diamonds which sported two sulphur crested feathers over one ear - ignored the doorbell and rapped smartly on the large ship shaped door knocker. She was shown into the downstairs salon by the butler, who introduced her to Captain Brown and Mr.Grey.

"Curious name for a butler,' she chortled to the Captain, as she tossed back a flute of champagne while the butler was answering the door again. 'Did he really say his name was Mumble?'

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have some rather shocking news. Mr Black has been murdered! One of you must be responsible. The police have been called, but I feel that it would be in all our interests to ensure that we know what happened before they arrive. We need to know who killed him, where it was done, and what the murder weapon was. As we were all over the house, I feel sure it must be possible to work it out.

You should all now have received a PM giving you some information about 2 people, weapons or locations that you know were not involved in the murder. You all (including the NPCs) have the same amount of information, but obviously not the same information. The suspects are:

People
Miss Amethyst
Capt Brown
Lord Burgundy
Austin Eliab
Ginger
Rev Green
Mr Grey
Lady Lemon
Col Mustard
Miss Peach
Mrs Peacock
Prof Plum
Miss Scarlet
Dr Silver
Mrs White

Weapons
Axe
Blunderbuss
Candlestick
Dagger
Lead Piping
Poison
Revolver
Rope
Spanner

Rooms
Ballroom
Billiard Room
Conservatory
Dining Room
Hall
Kitchen
Library
Lounge
Study

Each day, you may each ask one of the suspects what they know about a combination of murderer, weapon and location. The deadline for asking a question is 1900 BST, and if you miss that time you lose the chance to ask a question that day. At this stage, you may not ask a question of someone who has already been asked a question by another player that day. I will point it out if I notice that someone's done this, but if it remains uncorrected, the question will be void and the turn lost. If the person being questioned can give you any information (i.e. if they hold a card for one of the things you asked about), they will show you that card and share their knowledge.

At the deadline or shortly afterwards, I will announce who has been told anything new as a result of their question, and send that information to any successful questioner in a PM. Anyone else was not told anything. In the unlikely event that a person is asked a question which incorporates both the cards they hold, they may PM me after the question is posed and before the deadline of 1900BST to specify which of those cards they wish to show. In the absence of any instruction, I will choose at random.

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if something needs further clarification. Otherwise, let the investigation begin.

Your deadline for questions is 1900BST, which for those in different time zones is in roughly 21 hours.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Mrs White: Well, here's a to-do and no mistake. Far too many dodgy characters for my liking.

Capt. Brown looks like a sensible man to me, and I should like to ask him what he knows about Colonel Mustard the Axe and the Conservatory.

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

I should like to ask Mr. Grey what he knows about Mrs. White, the kitchen and the spanner.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Well, seeing as I've been in the study for most of this time (save, of course, for the short trip I made down to visit Mr. Black's wine cellar), I think I may as well make sure nobody did anything Untoward while I was out—especially with that rather nice pistol on display. Miss Scarlet, of course, seems exceptionally suspicious to me—the young and pretty one can never trust, yes? Who here looks the most trustworthy, then?

Lady Lemon: what do you have to say about Miss Scarlet, in the study, with the revolver?

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

(Mrs. Peacock wants to know.)

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Prof Plum asks Dr Silver if he knows anything about Rev Green's suspicious appearance from the direction of the Ballroom carrying a Rope.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Colonel Mustard, I have absolutely no knowledge of the Scarlet woman in question; neither where she's been nor what she might be hiding in her garter. I have only just arrived for heaven's sake!

Well, this news is a bit of a party pooper isn't it? I suppose dinner is out of the question now. And what about you, Colonel - did you see anything suspicious? Like Miss Peach in the library with the poison, perhaps?

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

I'm sorry Professor, I can't help you--I didn't notice anything of that sort. I beg your pardon, I must inquire of Lord Burgundy...

My Lord, did you happen to notice any poisonous compounds in the conservatory around the time Miss Amethyst was there?

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Whatever you say, Lemon dear. I suppose I have no choice but to believe that you know nothing about Scarlet and her garters.

And if by "poison," you mean those awful little twerps that, sadly, might just be inheriting this estate (perish the thought!), then yes, I did see Miss Peach chasing them out of the library. Otherwise? Not as such.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

While Miss Scarlet was flattered to be described as the young pretty one...thought looking round there didn't seem to be much compition for the complement, she was not impressed with being a suspect. Time to start thinking she decided.

Mrs White works here so she would be somebody who would noticed if anything had moved in the rooms etc, so was a good person to start with. Therefor she asked Mrs White if she knew anything about Prof Plum in the Hall
with the Blunderbuss ?

(edited to try and fix spacing, didn't manage it though!)

[ 08. June 2011, 07:43: Message edited by: Surfing Madness ]

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Oh hell, where's that number… I know we had it around here somewhere… Right. Found it.

"…yes, Mrs. Black, I am quite aware of how much it costs to fly back from the Bahamas. And you are going to pay it and get over here sharpish... Because you're their mother, that's why! And it's about time you took some responsibility for a change. Their father just got murdered, for Pete's sake!.. The noise? It's your daughter howling for her Daddy!"

Miss Peach heads to the kitchen and asks Mrs. White for a stiff drink. Melchior has decreed that he wishes to eat nothing but custard for the foreseeable future, and Miss Peach isn't going to argue with him. Let the poor little bugger eat whatever he feels like. Would Mrs. White mind making him some? And could she also tell me if she has any information on Miss Scarlet, the poison or the billiard room?

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be unfair to suggest that Austin Eliab could scarcely contain his delight at the news of a murder. But only because those observing him will note that he made not the slightest effort to do so.

I find it invaluable, in reporting on any murder story, to find out as soon as possible into whom the victim was in the habit of putting his cock.

I reckon that if an embittered old maid like Miss Amethyst has no opinion on Black's nocturnal activity, then I'm no judge of human malice, and if she cannot entirely exonerate a chancer like Mrs Peacock in that particular, then based on those little games with rope in the study she might well be worth a closer look.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

vie:

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
At this stage, you may not ask a question of someone who has already been asked a question by another player that day.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

[out of character]
Vie en rogue - Surfing Madness had already asked Mrs White, so you can't question her. You need to ask someone else something
[Back into character]

Ginger: Blimey - what a mess. So I answer an invite, and it turns out there's a really strange selection of guests (that Professor is veryodd - all that purple! Nice old duffer, but did anyone tell him it makes him look apoplectic). Not only that, but the host gets bumped off, and we're s'posed to try and figure out who dunnit! Think I might need another drink...

So I think I'm supposed to ask someone a question. No-one looks suspicious to me, but hey, there you have it. So...

Rev. Green: what do you know about Captain Brown with a candlestick in the billiard room?

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Oh bugger. That'll teach me to read the rules properly then. Same questions to Mrs Peacock.

(i.e. Miss Scarlet, the poison, the billiard room)

[ETA If Mrs Peacock is any good at making custard, she's welcome to help with that too. Melchior may have just inherited a lot of money, but he's going to be hell on wheels after this...]

[ 08. June 2011, 11:04: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:

I reckon that if an embittered old maid like Miss Amethyst has no opinion on Black's nocturnal activity, then I'm no judge of human malice, and if she cannot entirely exonerate a chancer like Mrs Peacock in that particular, then based on those little games with rope in the study she might well be worth a closer look.

(Embittered? Good heavens. Miss Amethyst hopes that a healthy curiosity about her fellow men and their foibles doesn't mean she's bitter. Just underemployed. Miss Amethyst has often wished, while reading Miss Christie's and Miss Sayers' novels, that she could be a detective herself instead of a rather directionless spinster. Also, that she could go boating with Lord Peter Wimsey.)

Well! Poor Mr. Black. This was shocking. But far more interesting even than Miss Amethyst could have hoped- much better than after-dinner dancing. Miss Amethyst peered keenly at the other guests, looking for an expression of Guilt, or a telltale bloodstain. So far, nothing.

She had no information on Mrs. Peacock, or whether anyone was in the study with the rope.

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

[OOC question: This
quote:
yes, I did see Miss Peach chasing them out of the library.
isn't a real clue, right? Lady Lemon would have received this from Gumble by PM if it had been game information?]

Miss Amethyst would like to ask Ginger whether he saw Rev Green with the Dagger in the Library. Because Ginger is a reader, despite his unfortunate clothing, he may have noticed something in the library. Or was he too absorbed in his book? And what is he reading, anyway, some sort of manifesto?

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016