homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Heaven.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 'Most boring thread title' competition - make Zappa snore (Page 4)

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 'Most boring thread title' competition - make Zappa snore
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Show us your allergic reaction!

Also known as Reader's Hives

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Disputed Dismissals in Junior level Club Cricket

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Great Moments In Medical Waiting Rooms

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The contents of your drawers, revealed!

Number of page visits to Ship of Fools Bulletin Boards trebles, number of members hits 30K in three days, but the Great Disillusionment arrives when all those people actually start reading the thread and find that, rather than the salacious delights they were expecting, the contents are actually more like:

10 pairs of grey socks, one odd yellow sock, seven assorted buttons and an old school tie.

Numbers of page hits decrease drastically overnight and Simon is bombarded with requests for membership cancellations.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Things for which I am underappreciated

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(I have a feeling someone has already written this or something similar...)

Touring the roundabouts of Swindon - a guide for visitors
------------------------------------------------

Adventures of a Pension Actuary

(I'm told this is the job for people who find accountancy too stressful)

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Touring the roundabouts of Swindon - a guide for visitors

You do realise that there are two sequels to this: one is about Hemel Hempsted (home of the 'other' Magic Roundabout, though there's one at Heathrow T4 as well) and then there is the Milton Keynes version.

What about:

A Discussion on the Reasons for Numerical Amendments to Freight Locomotives of the London and North Eastern Railway (1923-1947).

Now that probably does exist!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The current Archbishop of Wales once said he wouldn't allow someone a grant towards a PhD entitled:

The probable composition of the doorhandle on the left hand side door of the Second Temple.

Shame - that WOULD have been boring!

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I need help choosing a filing system for my nail clippings collection!

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which is the most effective boring tool?

--------------------

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chorister--I suppose it's an occupational hazard, but I would probably follow and contribute to that thread.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I did once read that an academically-minded Curate really did preach, at Evensong and in a working-class district of Birmingham, a sermon entitled:

The Significance of some Recent Archaeological Discoveries for our Understanding of the Inter-Testamental Period".

Bet they loved it!

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Haricots - aspirated or not? (From a newbie in Carcassonne)

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How long would it take to listen to the entire contents of your iPod?

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lolly

Ship's Lollygagger
# 13347

- Posted      Profile for Lolly   Email Lolly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, when I was younger...

--------------------
And draw us near and bind us tight
all your children here in their rags of light - LC

Posts: 179 | From: East of the Sun, West of the Moon | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Screwdrivers I have known

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pocket protectors - still in fashion?

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Punctuation errors in the BCP--do they affect the validity of sacraments?

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Minor Windows Security Updates -- Fifth Binary Character in Each Line of Code

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
pouring the perfect draught: a bartender's treatise

this one occurred to me today while swearing at the IPA at work. you'd be amazed how much my co-workers and I discuss tempermental beer.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheesymarzipan:
A Circus thread:
Who is the most pedantic?
alternatively
When pedants get it wrong and I need to correct them in minute detail

But you see, pedantry is fun! Especially when other people say things like, 'Sorry to be pedantic about this...' then fail to be pedantic. [Razz]

[Editing because preview post was not my friend but should have been.]

[ 10. February 2011, 15:17: Message edited by: Beethoven ]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How to spell

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To be honest, I do feel that the recent thread that pretty much added up to Things I have snorted out of my nose probably should have earned the hosts some chocolate [Biased]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunzia:
Favorite Unvoiced Consonants

and of course, it's inevitable sister thread.

Hey! I would be interested in these threads!

Ssssss. Fffffffft. Pah.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
How to spell

Actually I wish people would find this a little MORE interesting. Wish, sometimes, to the point of wanting to thwack them upside the head with a collegiate dictionary (10th edition, library binding).

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Their ain't nuffin rong wf my speling, yo.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

- Posted      Profile for Nunzia   Email Nunzia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
quote:
Originally posted by Nunzia:
Favorite Unvoiced Consonants

and of course, it's inevitable sister thread.

Hey! I would be interested in these threads!

Ssssss. Fffffffft. Pah.

Yeah, me too.

Also, this.

Condiments, condiments, condiments!

--------------------
----- ---------. ---- - ---- ----.

Posts: 1903 | From: Crazy-glued to the ledge | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
PixelPi
Shipmate
# 16160

- Posted      Profile for PixelPi   Author's homepage   Email PixelPi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Easy Crafts With Cat Whiskers

--------------------
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Posts: 168 | From: United States | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
How to spell

Shouldn't that be 'How to Spel'?
Otherwise people might think it is an interesting thread and start posting stuff on it like how to blend frogs legs and beetle juice into a potion to make your worst enemy shrink to the size of a peanut.

--------------------

Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

- Posted      Profile for Nunzia   Email Nunzia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:

this one occurred to me today while swearing at the IPA at work. you'd be amazed how much my co-workers and I discuss tempermental beer.

I've just started reading physicist Len Fisher's How to Dunk a Doughnut and am enjoying it very much.

I wonder if chapter 7: Bath Foam, Beer Foam and the Meaning of Life, would help you in your experimentation.

--------------------
----- ---------. ---- - ---- ----.

Posts: 1903 | From: Crazy-glued to the ledge | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My favourite word

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Snore] [Snore] [Snore]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

I'm rushing here straight from Amazon, to offer the title of a REAL book I just found which truly fits right here...

Locomotives: Locomotive, Whyte Notation, Streamliner, AAR Wheel Arrangement, Steam Turbine Locomotive, London Underground Rolling Stock.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Efficient computational algorithms for calculating statistical moments.

I think has the advantages of being highly technical, of limited interest (yes I ever so often do look at some of the results) and involving lots of repetition

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Train spotters thread: what type of anorak do you wear?

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Comet, I think you lost this game. I think there are more than a few of us who would follow this thread religiously.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person here who can appreciate a well-poured beer.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ye gods and haierie faieries. Herein lies proof that Darwin, Charles, was wronger than A Very Wrong Thing™. For if we were evolving, as a species, our ability to scintillate, titillate, fulminate and otherwise obviate the soporific amongst us from the fraught clutches of Lethe in order to preserve our DNA from ingestion by mogodon-saturated Galapagos tortoi, then our fulminations would become less, not more somnolent as utterance progressed.

I fear this has not been the case. [Snore]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
quote:

Comet, I think you lost this game. I think there are more than a few of us who would follow this thread religiously.
[Paranoid] you realize I'm talking about things like line thickness and length, CO2 strength, relative temperature, and coolant levels and pressures? the most fascinating bit would be the technique requirements for pale ales versus IPAs versus porters, and the difference between CO2 and nitrogen on pouring style.

Not talking the various microbrews, etc. which could be interesting.
quote:
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only person here who can appreciate a well-poured beer.
well sure. but appreciating one and hashing over the mechanics of it are quite different!

letssee, adding to the thread one that would cure my insomnia but others might find exciting: The Video Gamer's Thread: Share your WOW cheats!

my children have discovered how to torture me into catatonia with this conversation.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Variations in character width, weight, etc. in commercially-available Courier True-Type fonts.

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:
quote:

[Paranoid] you realize I'm talking about things like line thickness and length, CO2 strength, relative temperature, and coolant levels and pressures? the most fascinating bit would be the technique requirements for pale ales versus IPAs versus porters, and the difference between CO2 and nitrogen on pouring style.

Not talking the various microbrews, etc. which could be interesting.

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Yes, really.

Feeling awake? These should help!
Lichens of North America
"Why Can't I Sleep?": The Art of the Insomniac Ramble.
Ship's Book Club: The Review of Metaphysics, Vol. LXIII, no. 3 (February 2011)

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glasses or bottles, which is better for drinking water?

Itching to post about mosquito bites.

The kitchen chair thread.

Why beige is a nice colour.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Historical Inaccuracies I Have Noticed in 'The Tudors'

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My favourite spades for clay soil

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ceannaideach, you're not watching Countryfile by any chance? [Biased] I was just about to post "Which of the 171 kinds of spade do you have"...

Best kinds of mulch
What's your umbrella like?
Plastic, ceramic or wooden flowers?

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

If anyone is stuck for ideas, the dullest blog in the world is full of them.

What colour is your ceiling?

--------------------

Ceannaideach
Shipmate
# 12007

- Posted      Profile for Ceannaideach   Email Ceannaideach   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Guilty as charged Ariel [Big Grin]

What particular shade of green do you prefer for liturgical purposes and why?

And the various spin off threads!

--------------------
"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions for which I will regret learning the answers." - Roy Greenhilt OOTS

Posts: 199 | From: Shakespeare's County | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

A serious matter for newlyweds! [Eek!]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:

A serious matter for newlyweds! [Eek!]
Is 'mirror' a colour, do you think? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How on earth did I manage to acquire all these toothpicks?

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How long can you stare at your screen before you blink?

Telling the difference between black socks of different ages by which shade of black they are.

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016