homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: *hic!* The SoF Drinking Game

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: *hic!* The SoF Drinking Game
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alrighty now, boys and girls, grab your cider, GIN, and real ale and let's cook up some rules.
Remember: the point of a drinking game isn't to stay sober. To start, pick a thread and . . .
1 drink
mousethief posts something
Someone includes a link in their post
Something is quoted from above—1 drink for each nested quote block
Someone references the Great Gator (pour a little out first, then drink)
Any of the following terms are mentioned: asshat, hellion, H&A's, fuckwit, tat, "swimming in/crossing the X."

2 drinks
Someone screws up their code
Someone posts a broken link
Host or Admin warning
Someone does something they've been called to Hell for
Any of the following: rusted farm implement, fluffy bunny, 10 C's, "high/low on the candle."

3 drinks
Someone issues a Hell Call
A host mentions the broken code/link
Any mention of GIN

Finish your drink
You get called to Hell
Someone gets planked

Other suggestions—and which thread should we try first?

[ 28. September 2011, 21:26: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hostly_clown_makeup]

I know that you guys know this already, but just to make sure: Please, please don't make work for the other hosts by doing anything stupid on the other boards in relation to this thread. Thanks.

[/Hostly_clown_makeup]

That said, I would choose penal substitutionary atonement but I worry that the ten pages worth of catching up I'd have to do would leave me under the table.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*takes two drinks*

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm out of gin...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Come over to my house, I just bought a fresh bottle...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Okay, I'm kinda scared of wading into the infamous PSA thread—it exemplifies why I sometimes steer clear of Purg—but, looking over it, I'm reminded of a few rules I forgot . . .

1 drink
Obvious British Spelling dipthongs (œ, Œ, æ, Æ)
"As was said above," or something like it.
"We don't do that in our church," OSLI
"That's not what that means!" OSLI
Bible verse cited
Crosspost
Two Shippies with the same avatar post within 4 posts of one another

2 drinks
"I'm not exactly clear on the concept . . .," OSLI
Accusation of deadhorsery
"We've discussed this before," OSL
Obvious not getting it.
Non-Bible nonfiction cited
Potshot taken at some denomination/political group

3 drinks
10 C's violation; will probably result in a 2-drink host warning later.
Party X accuses Party Y of not getting it
Party Y gets miffed at Party X's accusation (wow, I'm having flashbacks to a few bad threads now)
Work of fiction cited—yes, even in the Heavenly book threads

Finish your drink
Can't transport booze across borders—H/A moves the thread to another board
"Is this STILL going?"—after 100 posts/2 pages, finish your drink, get a new one.

I'm pretty sure PSA would turn most anyone's liver into foi gras within three pages.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
That said, I would choose penal substitutionary atonement but I worry that the ten pages worth of catching up I'd have to do would leave me under the table.

No - you fail to see that, with PSA, the Lord Jesus will drink your gin on your behalf.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
leo:

As they say elsewhere, you win the internet! [Killing me]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
No - you fail to see that, with PSA, the Lord Jesus will drink your gin on your behalf.

Let's get Jesus rat-arsed!!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the disciples were criticised for playing this game on the Day of Pentecost.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Preferably at Cana, in Galillee.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Does that mean I can get drunk on his liver? That's like betting with the house's money.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

This might be too hard for GIN drinkers like you to understand,* but, under PSA, you never enter into a state of drunkenness at all! Jesus got hungover for your liver, and so, once you put your trust and booze in Him, you will be in a state of grace, saved from all ravages of the bottle. Even a child could tell you that.

*Actually, if you were playing this game with bottles of GIN, I think Spot Goes to the Farm would be too hard to understand halfway through the first page of PSA.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You guys are seriously weird.

I like you.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
New Rules:

1 drink

Any time a non-animated smilie is used.

2 Drinks

Any time an animated smilie is used

Drain your glass

Any time [Projectile] is used

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely that's:

1 drink when two-legged avatar posts
2 drinks when four-legged avatar posts
drain glass when an extra-terrestrial being posts.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
You guys are seriously weird.

I like you.

Public displays of affection have got to be worth at least two drinks. [Smile]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Surely that's:

1 drink when two-legged avatar posts
2 drinks when four-legged avatar posts
drain glass when an extra-terrestrial being posts.

Grab all your booze and run when the tiger avatar shows up

[codefix]

[ 24. July 2011, 02:54: Message edited by: AristonAstuanax ]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Two drinks for a code fuck-up. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I believe the disciples were criticised for playing this game on the Day of Pentecost.

But only because it was only nine o'clock in the morning.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

quote:

I was just setting you up, of course!

2 drinks
Shipmate plays the "that was supposed to be funny, how could you not see that" card to cover their ass when they get busted.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
... Drain your glass any time [Projectile] is used

I should be all right as long as no-one mentions Marmite ... [Eek!]

Bugger. I've just used an animated smilie. Cheers!

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Marvin the Martian: New Rules:

1 drink

Any time a non-animated smilie is used.

2 Drinks

Any time an animated smilie is used

Drain your glass

Any time [Projectile] is used

[Overused]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are the rules for if the smilie is quoted from someone else's post? Do they still count or does it have to be a new smilie?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

If in doubt—whichever interpretation of a rule or set of rules leads to more drinking is to be chosen.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Okay, the tat thread in Eccles has to be worth a keg or two. Anyone want to take on that beast?

--------------------
Brian Clough

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ok - although this only works for low-church players...

Two drinks any time you see a word you don't understand without looking it up in the dictionary.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Another two drinks for the words "fuck" or "cunt" used outside Hell.

And one drink for the word "rhododendron". Just because.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Okay, the tat thread in Eccles has to be worth a keg or two.

Which one? [Confused]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

The Harrowing of Hell

Whenever Hell experiences an "enthusiastic" pruning, all players must down both their current drinks and their next one.

The next drinks must be of the same volume and alcoholic content as the current ones were when poured (so if you poured half a pint of whisky last time, it sucks to be you).

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

"I thought this was a Christian website" (or words to that effect):

Naively by an Apprentice--1 drink.
Cynically by a Shipmate--2 drinks.

Complaints that the Death Pool or other Circus thread is in bad taste--1 drink.

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That explains his blood alcohol level on Sunday mornings! (Sunday mornings!)

So how many drinks is it for blasphemy? [Two face]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
quote:
Okay, the tat thread in Eccles has to be worth a keg or two.

Which one? [Confused]
I suspect IF refers to "The Tatler," the general questions thread about all variety of liturgical accoutrements (currently hiding on page two, if you're curious).
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
ok - although this only works for low-church players...
Two drinks any time you see a word you don't understand without looking it up in the dictionary.

That will result in a lot of people getting sh*t-faced in a hurry, so in the interest of the game and of public safety, I suggest a more measured approach. Something like this:

Take 1 drink every time somebody makes a snide remark about cassock-albs. Come to think of it, that one will in fact get you drunk pretty quickly.

Take 2 drinks whenever someone responds to a perfectly reasonable, short-answer question (like "What's a zuchetto?") with an arcane, multi-paragraph essay tracing the origin of said tat item back to The Fathers, or The Reformation or The Whatever. If reading it actually makes your eyes glaze over, go ahead and take three.

Drain your glass whenever someone attempts to cross the streams between The Tatler and Eccles Altimeter threads by cross-matching a particular tat item with a category of churchmanship, e.g., "fiddlebacks are strictly Anglo-Catholic" or "evangelicals never wear chasubles." Same if someone mentions wearing a stole with a Geneva gown.

If someone mentions Percy Dearmer, throw your glass against the wall and drink out of the bottle.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Um, who's Percy Dearmer?

And the pastors at the church I went to growing up always wore stoles with their Geneva gowns. Does this mean I get to drink on Sundays now?

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

If you admit to not knowing who Percy Dearmer is, drink one Bombay Sapphire.

If you are a host who admits to not knowing who Percy Dearmer is, drink two Bombay Sapphires.

If you are an Eccles Host who doesn't know who Percy Dearmer is, you've not been doing your job properly. Drink the whole bottle.

The answer to 'Who is Percy Dearmer?' will be magically revealed as soon as the bottle of Gin is drained.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • One drink for every post asking to change Dead Horses in The Styx
  • two drinks for a post by a host
  • three drinks for a request for a name change

This one is a bit predictable though ...

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Yeah. The answers to most of life's pressing questions are to be found at the bottom of a bottle. C'est la vie.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spoiler Alert!

quote:
If you admit to not knowing who Percy Dearmer is, drink one Bombay Sapphire.

If you are a host who admits to not knowing who Percy Dearmer is, drink two Bombay Sapphires.

If you are an Eccles Host who doesn't know who Percy Dearmer is, you've not been doing your job properly. Drink the whole bottle.

The answer to 'Who is Percy Dearmer?' will be magically revealed as soon as the bottle of Gin is drained.

If you know that Percy Dearmer and Ralph Vaughan Williams were two of the original anthologists of the Oxford Book of Carols but can't name the third, take a large [pink] GIN.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
luluxiu
Apprentice
# 16542

- Posted      Profile for luluxiu   Author's homepage   Email luluxiu   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although this only applies to two cups of low-church player ... any time you see one you do not understand do not see it in the dictionary words....
Full Circle
Shipmate
# 15398

- Posted      Profile for Full Circle     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One Drink: When you learn something new (to savour the thought)
Two Drinks: When you laugh out loud (to enhance the merriment)
Drain your glass: When you post (to provide courage as you await the response)

--------------------
Beware the monocausal fallacy (Anon)

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
I'm out of gin...

takes three drinks.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

One drink Custom avatars and titles
Two drinks No title or avatar
Shipname is entirely lowercase
Three drinks Confusing two Shipmates with the same (lack of) avatar/"similar" names
Discovering that someone who you thought had a custom avatar didn't
Confusing a Shipmate's gender

[ 24. July 2011, 02:59: Message edited by: AristonAstuanax ]

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One drink when someone refers to the United States as “the colonies.” Two drinks if that reference is followed by a [Two face] .

Two drinks when someone posts a comment on the Association Football, American Football, or Rugby Football thread which suggests that a different code is the only “real” football.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016