homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Wot no Sunday service? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Wot no Sunday service?
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Christmas Day this year (i.e 2011) falls on a Sunday, so our schedule will doubtless be our usual Sunday BCP said Matins at 930am and Sung Mass at 1030am (with a procession to the Crib for the prayers).

I am sorry to say that the last time Christmas fell on a Sunday, we had no services other than the Christmas Eve one. [Waterworks]
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, we had no Christmas Day service for a couple of years - we had no priest of our own, and our churchwardens were not prepared to open the doors on Christmas morning for anyone who might have wanted to come in and pray, even though I offered (as Reader) to lead a brief Service of the Word or whatever.
[Disappointed]

I am glad to say that the new regime is keen on having the church open for prayer and worship at every opportunity.

I suppose it all depends on whether church leaders see the building itself as a sort of sacrament.....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am glad to say that the new regime is keen on having the church open for prayer and worship at every opportunity.

I'm glad you can say "new regime" at all. It seems like only yesterday you were the regime.
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
In the Kirk, we wouldn't dream of not having a service just because Sunday was Boxing Day. Church Law obliges us to have a service every Sunday in every parish, and we need a special dispensation from Presbytery not to. There would have been quite a few kirks who had nothing on Christmas Day, as was once traditional - but the Sunday, definitely!

As it was, we had a quiet service of Holy Communion on Christmas Day itself. About 50 people turned up, about half of whom were visitors. Then Sunday was our all-age service, where the children brought along their presents, etc. Between the two churches, we had the usual c. 90 folk.

In the United Episcopal Church, there is a Canon entitled "Of due Observance of the Lord's Day" which requires a service every Sunday. The only other days which get an honourable mention in our Canons are Christmas, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. This particular Canon goes back to 1813, and has survived almost 200 years, though it lost an exhortation to communicants to avoid 'vain and frivilous amusments' somewhere between 1813 and 1958.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems bizarre for an Anglican joint.

As Angloid said, they are supposed to.

I can understand and sympathise when he says he has problems identifying with certain parties who identify as 'Liberal Catholic'.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Services all 3 days. Christmas Day packed out with people (extra chairs brought in) despite snow and teacherous roads and pavemwents.

Christmas Eve quieter than normal but foul weather -- Sunday 26th - well we didn't meet in the evening but morning as usual. Good support

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
We can manage a Mass with just two assistants (one to serve and one to wave the smoke), so absenteeism in the staff department is not too much of a problem!

Wimps -- it's possible to wave the smoke and serve!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carys - you are right, of course, but the one and only server/thurifer does look a bit lonely in the sanctuary........

Martin L - I'm not quite sure how to take your remark re regimes! As a Reader, I am indeed part of the new regime (we now have a Ministry Team), but during the interregnum I was subject to the Rural Dean and, of course, the PCC. If I've given the impression that I ran the place, that's a wrong impression (though I try to be the visionary.....).

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

quote:
Martin L - I'm not quite sure how to take your remark re regimes! As a Reader, I am indeed part of the new regime (we now have a Ministry Team), but during the interregnum I was subject to the Rural Dean and, of course, the PCC. If I've given the impression that I ran the place, that's a wrong impression (though I try to be the visionary.....).

Ian J.

[Snigger] Take it as a bit snarky, perhaps, as is my normal fashion...

My own church has been going through its own struggles for quite a while now, and I recall being interested to read your posts. You didn't give the impression you ran the place, but we (in Eccles) of all people know that few people step up to help at their own churches. Whether you were official or not, as someone proactively working to try to help the situation, you were/are a leader.

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The small village church I look after had it's usual Midnight Mass (numbers slightly down) and Christmas morning (numbers up by a third!). Normally on the 4th Sunday of the month we would have a poorly attended BCP Eucharist at 8am and nothing else, and I was pretty certain that the attendance would consist of me and the sacristan so I cancelled that and announced we would have Carols round the Crib instead at 3pm in the afternoon. We got 29 people, mostly regulars but a smattering of people who rarely darken the door, so that worked. I felt a bit guilty about the lack of Eucharistic provision but as I'm the only AC in the village, as it were, no-one else was bothered.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016