homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Dress the Minister (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Dress the Minister
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A funny tat incident happened in the small town where I currently live. The Roman Catholics got a new priest, young too. He has made a splash by wearing his cassock at all times. He's often seen at the Post Office in his cassock while checking the parish mailbox in the afternoon. Apparently the Catholics paid for a few cassocks for this priest to wear. This has gone over very well among both the Catholic community in town and everyone else too. It has been said that there hasn't been such a strong example of "being Catholic" around since the Grey Nuns left town.

Over at my shack across the river, the United Church minister has noted the sartorial elegance of the Catholic Priest and now wants a cassock of his own. The minister is not known for particularly high standards of clerical wear and in the past has expressed a desire to preach in a t-shirt after spending one Sunday with the Pentecostals (he was on vacation). In order to call his bluff I want to appeal to Eccles for advice on how to dress the Minister *properly*.
[Snigger]

So, assembled Eccles members, the current competition is to dress the United Church of Canada Minister. We need a good street rig and a Sunday rig. The minister currently has a medium blue gown with a white stole which he wears at Communion and baptisms. He often preaches in something looking like clericals. The church has a set of liturgical-year stoles which match the paraments. They are currently unused.

For reference, Geneva Gowns and Albs are both acceptable wear among United Church of Canada clergy. We are a United Church of Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregationalist descent, so anything from the UMC, Methodist Church of Great Britain, the Church of Scotland, the United Reformed Church, Uniting Church of Australia, etc. is acceptable.

Elegance and decorum is to be emphasized, the more traditional the better. Scottish-style vented gowns are acceptable for the purpose of this exercise.

Have at it!

[ 29. September 2011, 07:34: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A selection of kilts in liturgical colours?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
moveable_type
Shipmate
# 9673

- Posted      Profile for moveable_type   Email moveable_type   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The street rig must involve gaiters.
Posts: 1062 | From: Toronto | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Episcoterian
Shipmate
# 13185

- Posted      Profile for Episcoterian   Author's homepage   Email Episcoterian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My take at it (which reflects the overall weather in my neck of the woods; might not apply or be considered proper/classy dress in Canada):

Street wear

Dress trousers and clerical shirt; a jacket if weather so requires. I can do either tab or dog collar. Dog collars are rare and seen as a strictly Anglican affectation around here, though.

For hospital and parish visitation, suit and clericals, or at least jacket and clericals. That mini-stole applies for sacramental visiting.

Shirt should be in a discreet colour, black or white strongly preferred. Could get away with violet if one is Presbytery, Synod or GA Moderator, though.

For Sundays and all liturgical occasions

Black Geneva Robe. Black clerical shirt (either tab or dog collar). Stole matching Holy Table and Pulpit paraments.

During Summer months, high-collared alb, cincture and stole matching paraments. I am highly fond of this one.

For Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals, Presbytery/Synod/GA special services and all other dress-up occasions

Black Geneva robe (the one Murphy sells with the closed black velvet lining down the front); doctoral robe optional. Black clerical shirt with white bands. Dressier stole or tippet. Hood and respective head cover if applicable (not for me, though; different academic tradition etc.).

This is what I am going to wear, myself, once I get ordained. Too PCUSA-ish?

[ 23. February 2011, 22:17: Message edited by: Episcoterian ]

--------------------
"We cannot let individualism make corporate worship impossible!" (iMonk)

I'm on Facebook too!

Posts: 286 | From: Franca, SP, Brazil | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
ChippedChalice
Shipmate
# 14057

- Posted      Profile for ChippedChalice   Email ChippedChalice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about a T-shirt which reads "Daur ye say Mass in my lug?"

with a picture of Jenny Geddes flinging a three-legged stool at someone's head?

Posts: 131 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Birthday suits are highly traditional, all the way back to Adam's time.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is what you need. The purple color one-ups the Catholic priest in rank by stressing the built-in episcopal function of UCC clergy.

When that's in the wash, there's always this.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Episcoterian:

No, you're right in the ballpark. The UMC is a tad higher than the UCCan. Methodism gets higher the further south you. Texas Methodism* counts as Anglicanism up here.

MartinL:

[Killing me]

He'd wear them too.

* UMC church in Texas advertising "Anglo-Catholic style Eucharist."

--------------------

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worship-wise I'd say (with my UK Methodist hat on): cassock*, gown, bands, hood, scarf for preaching services
alb and stole for the Eucharist, baptisms, weddings, funerals etc.

On the street, you can't go wrong with black clericals.

*I do personally prefer latin cassocks, but if it's traditional you're after then double-breasted is probably the order of the day for Methodists.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
This is what you need. The purple color one-ups the Catholic priest in rank by stressing the built-in episcopal function of UCC clergy.

I like that concept!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm quite interested in why the 'dog collar' as opposed to the tab collar (small plastic insert) should be seen as a strictly Anglican for od dress or 'affectation' as one shipmate put it?

At one time in the UK it was rather a 'low' form of clerical dress, churchmanship being judged inversely by the amount of white collar shown.

I still think that a nothing really beats a starched linen collar worn with a vestock (backless wasitcoat) and a white collarless shirt underneath. Those white cuffs, black front and collar look unbeatable. However, it is expensive to clean and climate may have its own demands.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Circuit Rider

Ship's Itinerant
# 13088

- Posted      Profile for Circuit Rider   Email Circuit Rider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do pretty much what Episcoterian said, except that I don't wear clericals everyday. If I did I'd do black shirt and probably tab collar for everyday since they are easier to put on. Definitely band collar for dressier occasions. I did a funeral recently where I wore the band collar with my dark suit.

I have both black academic robe and white alb and use stoles with the color of the year, matching paraments. In ordinary time I pull back a little, and wear a suit for preaching. In the summer I have been known to ditch the tie because of the heat and humidity.

Posts: 715 | From: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you want me to outline what I call Mansfield high, but is probably more correctly traditional non-conformist clergy dress.

It is:

• Suit - black (preferable) or very dark navy blue
  • Shirt - white
  • V neck sweater - black or dark charcoal grey.
  • tie - white
  • Shoes - black

If he wants to be more traditional black or dark grey waistcoat instead of sweater and a white cravat instead of tie, but in the same colour scheme.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Episcoterian:
My take at it (which reflects the overall weather in my neck of the woods; might not apply or be considered proper/classy dress in Canada):

Street wear

Dress trousers and clerical shirt; a jacket if weather so requires. I can do either tab or dog collar. Dog collars are rare and seen as a strictly Anglican affectation around here, though.

For hospital and parish visitation, suit and clericals, or at least jacket and clericals. That mini-stole applies for sacramental visiting.

Shirt should be in a discreet colour, black or white strongly preferred. Could get away with violet if one is Presbytery, Synod or GA Moderator, though.

For Sundays and all liturgical occasions

Black Geneva Robe. Black clerical shirt (either tab or dog collar). Stole matching Holy Table and Pulpit paraments.

During Summer months, high-collared alb, cincture and stole matching paraments. I am highly fond of this one.

For Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals, Presbytery/Synod/GA special services and all other dress-up occasions

Black Geneva robe (the one Murphy sells with the closed black velvet lining down the front); doctoral robe optional. Black clerical shirt with white bands. Dressier stole or tippet. Hood and respective head cover if applicable (not for me, though; different academic tradition etc.).

This is what I am going to wear, myself, once I get ordained. Too PCUSA-ish?

[Big Grin] These seems like good suggestions, though for street wear, this Presbyterian would like a nice blue clerical shirt. And rather than the Geneva gown with the closed black velvet lining down the front, I'd advocate the Scottish style vented Geneva gown with cassock. (And as I noted in another thread yesterday, I'd leave off the hood.)

I'm curious though why the distinction between "Sundays and all liturgical occasions" and "Weddings, Baptisms, Funerals, Presbytery/Synod/GA special services . . . ." Surely the latter fall under "all liturgical occasions." (And at least in the PC(USA), baptisms will normally be part of the Service for the Lord's Day on a Sunday.) FWIW, I think in the PC(USA) one would rarely see such a distinction. Normal vesting for any service, except in informal settings, would be a Geneva gown or alb and stole, possibly with collar and tabs.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh to add to the Mansfield everyday wear when leading worship

Cassock (black), gown (black), scarf (black, some allow limited gold ornamentation, but in the strict cases even the embroidery is black), white bands.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Episcoterian
Shipmate
# 13185

- Posted      Profile for Episcoterian   Author's homepage   Email Episcoterian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sebby

This is a Brazilian thing. The only clergy you'll see wearing dog collars down here are the Anglicans. Everyone else, including the RCs, will do tab collar instead.

That is, for those few who do wear clericals. Most of the Protestants prefer to suit up instead. Even among the few who wear robes, regular shirt and tie are more common than clericals.

Nick

I just wanted to add some "oomph" to these dressier occasions. I could settle for robe, stole and tabs for all occasions, though. Cassock, vented Scottish robe, bands and stole/scarf looks nice too.

IPB doesn't have any direct Scottish heritage, though (former PCUS-PCUSA mission), so I probably can't pull this one off myself. Especially because of the cassock.

--------------------

I'm on Facebook too!

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Anybody have a good picture of a Scots-type vented gown and cassock? My Google-fu is failing me at the moment.

--------------------

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the style you mean?

Not a very large image, I'm afraid.

[ 24. February 2011, 21:32: Message edited by: +Chad ]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sober Preacher's Kid:
Anybody have a good picture of a Scots-type vented gown and cassock? My Google-fu is failing me at the moment.

Try this (pity about the stole ....) or this - the picture about half way down. They look fairly typical.

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I really must arrange with my father to do a full how to dress as a Reformed Minister but guy on left here is I think pretty correctly wearing it, he is a Scot by the way.

Note the bands, that nearly always means cassock, not the frills on the shoulder those indicate gown.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Oreophagite
Shipmate
# 10534

- Posted      Profile for Oreophagite     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, what's the proper width for bands? An Almy cassock comes with a 2" collar gap, making for bands with 1" width each. That seems rather puny, compared to the splendid bands in the above photo.
Posts: 247 | From: The Klipoth | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Around my way standard Methodist - Congregationalist - Presbyterian street dress was a grey suit, dark blue or grey clerical shirt and a dog collar. No tab collars as they are Papist/rather High Anglican. The only avoidance was of the all-black look, which was definitely MOTB (Anglo-Catholic). This distinguished them from the Anglican who wore tweed jacks, "rentman trousers" and a black stock and dog collar. The occasionally townie Anglican clergyman would wear a charcoal grey or black suit - usually with shiny elbows due to age!

PD

[ 24. February 2011, 23:37: Message edited by: PD ]

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Actually, in Canada it's the other way around. Tab collars are the standard in the United Church of Canada, the Anglicans lean toward full dog collars.

Judging from photos of past ministers on the narthex wall and dated photos from the denominational magazine, full dogs were as popular as tabs until the 1960's when tabs became the rule.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Methodist, Presbyterian, and Dutch Reformed ministers of my yoof - and the dear retired pastor who took my grandmother's funeral much later - wore their Geneva gowns (for service) over a shirt and conservative (often black) tie.

Is it now common practice to wear the gowns over clericals? (My mother's current minister eschews all forms of "clerical wear" when he's taking a service, as far as I can tell, so I don't know what the Presbies are doing these days.)

Otherwise, I'm fully signed up with the Episcoterian program. (And, if I lived in SPK's town, might contribute to a whip-round to get young Father some headgear by a Eccles-approved vendor. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
WearyPilgrim
Shipmate
# 14593

- Posted      Profile for WearyPilgrim   Email WearyPilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've seen the occasional Anglican or Episcopal priest wear a cassock outside the church sanctuary, but I've never known a Presbyterian or Congregationalist to do so. Can anyone say otherwise?

I like cassocks; they look sharp. I've never worn one with my Geneva gown. I have to say, however, that in wearing one it helps not to be chubby. I don't qualify in that department. My gown happily covers my avoirdupois.

Posts: 383 | From: Sedgwick, Maine USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

It is common to wear one's gown with a clerical collar. Ties on ministers around here are less dressy than clerical collars. Mark of office, I think.

The Young Father does have a biretta, I think.

--------------------

Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is common to wear one's gown with a clerical collar. Ties on ministers around here are less dressy than clerical collars. Mark of office, I think.

Thanks. I can see where that comes from but I suppose in my day the GG was considered plenty of a mark [Biased] . I will note that clerical shirts were an essential part of the pastoral/visiting kit.

These days a number of them (including my mom's pastor) wear street clothes in the pulpit.
quote:
The Young Father does have a biretta, I think.
Excellent!

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oreophagite:
So, what's the proper width for bands? An Almy cassock comes with a 2" collar gap, making for bands with 1" width each. That seems rather puny, compared to the splendid bands in the above photo.

The total width of my bands is 31/2 inches, as is the gap in my cassock collar, both from Wippell's.

Not that size matters, of course. [Biased]

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metapelagius
Try this (pity about the stole ....) or this - the picture about half way down. They look fairly typical.

Tangent alert.

Is it just me, but as an English person there is something indelibly Church of Scotland about the red carpets in both churches, particularly the one in Bainsford? I don't know whether it is the particular shade of red or something to do with the way it is laid.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

In addition to other pictures posted, try this (gown, blue cassock and tippet).

And as long as you're dressing the minister up, I'd be remiss not to mention that along with stoles in the proper season colors, stoles made of the clergy tartan (like these or these) are popular among some around here, at least during "green" seasons (even though it's a mainly blue tartan) or on special occasions. Yes, really.

quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
The Methodist, Presbyterian, and Dutch Reformed ministers of my yoof - and the dear retired pastor who took my grandmother's funeral much later - wore their Geneva gowns (for service) over a shirt and conservative (often black) tie.

Is it now common practice to wear the gowns over clericals?

In the PC(USA) in the South, my experience would lead me to believe it's maybe about 50-50 ties vs. collars.

[ 25. February 2011, 13:30: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known
Shipmate
# 11399

- Posted      Profile for Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Email Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about hats?

As for the rest of the rig, I'm throwing my lot behind Episcoterian's suggestions, although adding an option for bands in lieu of the dog/tab collar for certain functions (rare, but an option nonetheless).

Don't forget frock coats (always black). Choice of trouser restricted to either black or cashmere stripes. These are for dressy daytime affairs.

Formal dinners require at least a dinner jacket ensemble with clerical waistcoat (a gilet, per the Canadian author of this website ).

Posts: 1833 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known:
What about hats?

A John Knox cap surely.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

In addition to other pictures posted, try this (gown, blue cassock and tippet).
Double posting and quoting myself to say I found another good picture here. It's from St Columba's in London.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

I was finally able to find a good picture of historic practice in the UCCan, located here.

These are the ministers of Saskatchewan Conference who ordained Lydia Gruchy, our first female minister, in 1936. She's at the lower right.

I see that dogs are the order of the day. As I said the more recent fashion has been for tabs.

John Knox cap would be just the thing.

A more recent gown picture is here of the Very Rev. Lois Wilson, Moderator from 1980-82.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't notice anyone's mentioning preaching tabs yet. (I tried to link to Wikipedia's article "Bands (neckwear)" to no avail but you can see them described and shown there). Schoolchildren in my day must have seen drawings in their history books of the "Pilgrim" clergy so dressed in seventeenth-century Massachusetts, because that formed my first assocation.

The first time I ever saw them in real life was on the priest at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine who was serving as our tour guide through the building in 1964. I thought that they were probably low-church and definitely quaint.
But since then I have noticed them worn by clergy of a definitely high persuasion, although perhaps for some reason confined to the New York area. I've come to like seeing them, but really have no idea what they are supposed to denote or connote.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

I do think adding a frock coat to the clerical wardrobe would cause a sartorial stir all on its owneo. [Biased]

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Up here bands would be easier to get, you just get what the lawyers wear. Judges and lawyers still wear gowns and bands when in Superior Court/Court of Queen's Bench/Whatever (it goes by various names in different provinces). No wigs though for our lawyers and judges.

Anybody care to analyze the pictures I posted for sartorial components? I'm not an expert in this department.

--------------------

Circuit Rider

Ship's Itinerant
# 13088

- Posted      Profile for Circuit Rider   Email Circuit Rider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Up here bands would be easier to get, you just get what the lawyers wear. Judges and lawyers still wear gowns and bands when in Superior Court/Court of Queen's Bench/Whatever (it goes by various names in different provinces). No wigs though for our lawyers and judges.

Anybody care to analyze the pictures I posted for sartorial components? I'm not an expert in this department.

Could you provide a link for getting the tabs? I might be interested in having one for special occasions and teaching. Maybe next time I am in Manitoba visiting granddaughter I can pick up a set.

--------------------
I felt my heart strangely warmed ... and realised I had spilt hot coffee all over myself.

Posts: 715 | From: Somewhere in the Heart of Dixie | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
Double posting and quoting myself to say I found another good picture here. It's from St Columba's in London.

Wow that is quite a find, the eldership in communion dress!! The give away is actually the ladies, who seem to beI wonder if it is still done anywhere else in the CofS outside London!

Next Nick you will find a pic of a Moderator of General Assembly in full sartorial elegance. (I am sorry I have looked, the custom stopped in the early part of this decade, I have a picture off line but can find nothing online). For those who want I am think black velvet frock coat, lace, breeches and silver buckles but would not guarantee it.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

Ask and you shall receive.

Gaspard & Sons, $15, velcro fastener the neck strap, one size fits all.

Just the thing for a poor Methodist preacher.

They have an American site, mail might work for you.

--------------------

Oreophagite
Shipmate
# 10534

- Posted      Profile for Oreophagite     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by +Chad:
quote:
Originally posted by Oreophagite:

The total width of my bands is 31/2 inches, as is the gap in my cassock collar, both from Wippell's.

Not that size matters, of course. [Biased]

Thank you. 3 1/2 inches? Wow! Of course, size matters.
Posts: 247 | From: The Klipoth | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
I do think adding a frock coat to the clerical wardrobe would cause a sartorial stir all on its owneo. [Biased]

I know a minister who wears one when he is out and about. Most elegant. A youngish man too. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Circuit Rider

Ship's Itinerant
# 13088

quote:
Ask and you shall receive.

Gaspard & Sons, $15, velcro fastener the neck strap, one size fits all.

Just the thing for a poor Methodist preacher.

They have an American site, mail might work for you.

Thanks! My alb came from Gaspard and although most of Gaspard's stuff is pricey, the alb was very reasonable. Haven't noticed the tabs there but I will check. $15 also sounds reasonable, and you are right about "poor Methodist preacher." Ain't none of us getting rich! [Disappointed]

--------------------
I felt my heart strangely warmed ... and realised I had spilt hot coffee all over myself.

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

You have to go to the Canadian site and the bands are in the Legal section. That section doesn't exist in the US version of the site, logically enough. American lawyers don't dress like that.

Perhaps Mrs. Rider and Young Daughter Rider could conspire to arrange for a present of some sort... [Big Grin]

[ 26. February 2011, 23:08: Message edited by: Sober Preacher's Kid ]

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
American lawyers don't dress like that.

[Frown]
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

It was your revolution, you deal with it. [Biased]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

This is such a good shot Sober Preacher's Kid but Full length Genevan Gown and cassock and a close up showing tabs.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

WearyPilgrim
Shipmate
# 14593

- Posted      Profile for WearyPilgrim   Email WearyPilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shadyside Presbyterian Church in Pittsburgh --- one of the cathedral churches of American Presbyterianism (figuratively, of course). They sure know how to do Reformed worship right.

That having been said, however, the button-down cassock seems unusual to me . . . more Roman.
Whaddya think?

Posts: 383 | From: Sedgwick, Maine USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Episcoterian
Shipmate
# 13185

Geneva robe worn longer than the American usual... I approve! Mine is also almost cassock-lenght.

The way most people wear it (be in in Court, Academy or Church) is just plain ugly.

--------------------

I'm on Facebook too!

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Wow that is quite a find, the eldership in communion dress!! The give away is actually the ladies, who seem to beI wonder if it is still done anywhere else in the CofS outside London!

Does "communion dress" mean black? Totally foreign to me.

quote:
Next Nick you will find a pic of a Moderator of General Assembly in full sartorial elegance. (I am sorry I have looked, the custom stopped in the early part of this decade, I have a picture off line but can find nothing online). For those who want I am think black velvet frock coat, lace, breeches and silver buckles but would not guarantee it.
I aim too please. [Big Grin]

Try this.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016