homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Mystery Worship of Jesus' Second Coming

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Mystery Worship of Jesus' Second Coming
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to Full Circle for a great idea!

Originally posted by St. Punk the Pious:
You do realize Christ will return on May 21st while you all are in Derby.

It should make for an interesting shipmeet.
-------------------------------------------------
Thank you. This made me smile & I look forward to the spectacle & might even apply to do a mystery worship of the event.
Full Circle

Project yourself forward, imagine yourself there. What would you say?

[ 29. September 2011, 07:35: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brilliant! For those unfamiliar with Mystery Worship, here are some of the features normally discussed, although this occasion will be so auspicious as to transcend the usual templates.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To which I should add, I'm sure that my Opening Words would be "Holy S***" or something equally profound.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it would be amusing to seek out some spots where the faithful will gather on May 21 to await their Blessed Lord, like expectant city council officials waiting on a train platform for a distinguished visitor -- and then to MW their reaction when the train pulls in but no one gets off.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Well, it would be amusing to seek out some spots where the faithful will gather on May 21 to await their Blessed Lord, like expectant city council officials waiting on a train platform for a distinguished visitor -- and then to MW their reaction when the train pulls in but no one gets off.

Mock all you want, you dressy woman, mock all you want.

You'll see. [Big Grin]

(in crusading mode)

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost makes me wish I'll still be around to read the MW reports.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bring a trumpet to blow at the fateful hour. Gets 'em every time.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

But surely heaven will have WiFi!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

But surely heaven will have WiFi!
Of course, but I fear the Ship will be blocked.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Full Circle
Shipmate
# 15398

- Posted      Profile for Full Circle     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mystery Worship

Church: The church of the Rider of the White Horse (Rev 19:11)

Service: The Omega Service

Location: Held on a flotilla of ships, each filled with fools of like mind. Some ships had sailed to the furthest reaches of the east to be first to see the return, others had followed: some like sheep, others like sheep in wolves clothing expecting to mock. Lastly there was a small rescue ship full of the really, really foolish hoping to help the fools that had gone before.

Welcome: I arrived on a small raft and was greeted by a man who gave me a well produced leaflet telling me why the biblical verses that appeared to state that we would (indeed could) not know the day or time of the Lord’s coming had been misinterpreted due to a spelling error made by an early Coptic monk when translating from Aramaic into Flemish. He also said ‘Hallo’.

Pre Service Atmosphere: It was the dark before dawn, the only light was from the stars streaming out along the milky way, nevertheless the atmosphere was strained as everyone knows that ‘he is coming with the clouds’ (Rev 1:7) leading to considerable confusion about the lack of cloud cover – was it a last chance to repent, to ‘consider the heavens the work of his fingers, the moon and the stars that he had established’ (Psalm 8:3) or merely that he would arrive seated on a white cloud (Rev 14;14)

Opening Words: ‘At the finale God will deconstruct and reconstruct the heavens and the earth’ and my spine shivered as I sensed the Holy Ghost hovering over the waters.

Distractions: In one boat, just before dawn, people were drinking cocktails and I did briefly consider rowing over to ask for some fortification at these end times. Later on the jasper, the second sapphire, the third chalcedony, the fourth emerald, the fifth sardonyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eight beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth and the twelfth amethyst (rev 21:20) alongside the twelve pearly gates also caught my attention.

The Sermon: Indescribably Good

On a scale of 1-10 how good was the preacher: 20: I could listen to him again & again – I am even seriously considering following him around a whole lot more closely.

After the Service: The count - this took much longer than had been anticipated as a couple who had been drinking cocktails were initially assumed to have fallen overboard due to intoxication but after a full investigation it was decided that perhaps the Lord was serious when he said that he loved sinners.

What I may perhaps remember in 7 days time: I will certainly still be thinking about why we are told that there are twelve pearly gates (Rev 21:21) when I had assumed that there is only one . I will probably still be considering whether I was wrong to post this & whether it constitutes taking Gospels in vain and lastly I hope I will still be praying for any who will be seriously discombobulated if Christ does not return on the 21st of May.

--------------------
Beware the monocausal fallacy (Anon)

Posts: 232 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mystery Worship

Church: The church of the open air.
Service: Sunrise service.
Welcome: A smile from St. Peter and a free gift from St. Michael. There appeared to be no service leaflet, but I was handed a harp as I arrived.
Pre Service Atmosphere: Expectant.
Opening Words: Welcome to the New Dawn.
Distractions: Only the Son of God descending, trailing clouds of glory. But we usually have incense so it didn't look any different, really.
The Sermon: Hello, I'm back! (Max 10/10 for brevity and impact.)
After the Service: No coffee. Instead we were commanded to 'Come on in and taste the new wine, the wine of the kingdom, the wine of the kingdom of God.'
What was like being in Heaven: The wine was rather good.
What was like being in the other place: The clouds were rather damp and played up my asthma like hell.
What I may perhaps remember in 7 days time:
All I once held dear, built my life upon
All this world reveres, and wars to own
All I once thought gain I have counted loss
Spent and worthless now, compared to this

(My God, did I just quote another Graham Kendrick song? [Eek!] )

--------------------

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is what it will look like in Dallas on May 21st.

Praise the Lord!

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looks like a rather typical day on the Dallas freeways.
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I imagine it will be rather like the episode of Dad's Army in which Captain Mainwaring believes that King George VI has just arrived at Walmington station...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems appropriate: Lo, He Comes With Clouds Descending.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The church: The Damned

Denomination: Anglican Communion

The building: The fire and brimstone actually cast a quite dignified light on the stalagtites.

The church: Turns out the doom and gloomers were right after all. Everyone else is having a merry old time down here in heck.

The neighbourhood: The lake of fire prepared for Satan and his angels. The congregation borders the Roman Catholics on one side and the Presbyterians on the other.

The cast: White, angry Jesus, with the Archangel Michael serving as deacon.

The date & time: May 21st, at sundown

What was the name of the service?: The Last Judgment (sung)

How full was the building?: Bursting at the seams. There weren't enough chairs for everyone, unfortunately.

Did anyone welcome you personally?: Thomas Cranmer himself handed me my Book of Common Prayer as he assured me that eternal torment wasn't too bad, actually.

Was your pew comfortable?: A nice, hard box pew. The back edge dug into my spine, and it was too close to the pew in front of me, meaning the hymnal rack was digging into my knees. So a very typical Anglican pew, really.

How would you describe the pre-service atmosphere?: The organist's rendition of "Dies Irae" was extremely good, though I found all that weeping and gnashing of teeth very distracting.

What were the exact opening words of the service?: "I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity."

What books did the congregation use during the service?: The Book of Common Prayer 1549, the Authorized Version of the Bible, the Hymnal 1982

Was the worship stiff-upper-lip, happy clappy, or what?: Very stiff and depressing. Not one aspect of the service could give one the impression that we had anything good to look forward to. So a typical Anglican service.

Exactly how long was the sermon?: 40 trillion years...

How would you feel about making this church your regular (where 10 = ecstatic, 0 = terminal)?: 10 for sure. No one smiled, I wasn't coerced into hugging anyone, the place was intolerably hot and the pews were extremely uncomfortable. It's everything I ever wanted in an Anglican Church.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

Well, I think it's May 21st in Fiji now. So you Mystery Worshippers get ready!
[Yipee] [Angel] [Yipee]

--------------------
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:

The cast: White, angry Jesus, with the Archangel Michael serving as deacon.

Ah, so the service was held at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC?

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:
Ah, so the service was held at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC?

THAT picture could go in the "Creepy Childhood Memories" thread in Heaven!
[Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy:

THAT picture could go in the "Creepy Childhood Memories" thread in Heaven!
[Eek!]

It's like, two stories tall. I saw it in person as an adult and it still creeped me out. Oh, the 1970s, its terrifying influence on art will be felt for centuries to come.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.

George6833
Apprentice
# 14995

- Posted      Profile for George6833   Email George6833   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a slightly different note:
It was suggested that we gather up no longer wanted outfits, including shoes and leave the heaps, discretely, of course, around the towns about [Devil] 5:45 p.m. local time.
Could cause a lot of consternation.
See ya in Heaven 'k?

--------------------
Keep what is Holy, Holy.
Wholly keep our creation sacred.

Posts: 28 | From: Boston, Massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Ahem. If'n I don't post by this time tomorrow, I done been raptured.

Zach

--------------------

Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known
Shipmate
# 11399

- Posted      Profile for Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Email Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will check back in the morning. They said it's 1800h Eastern Standard Time.

Maybe one of those dawn services might do the trick.

Posts: 1833 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Ahem. If'n I don't post by this time tomorrow, I done been raptured.

If I don't post by this time tomorrow, I've either been raptured or I'm at the soccer game cheering my fool head off.

Something.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate services that don't start on time.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Well it must be nearly time - in our church they have been reading through the King James Bible over the last few days and, when I popped in just now, they were in the first few chapters of Revelation. [Eek!]

--------------------

Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now quarter past midnight EDT.

Perhaps someone should mystery worship a church tomorrow that preached the Rapture on the 21st? Though since Camping rejected all churches, perhaps there aren't any.

Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known
Shipmate
# 11399

- Posted      Profile for Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Email Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least one did, although I have MWed it before ('twas my MW debut at that).

The sermon was titled "Do not be troubled," and it did bring up some end-times proclamations that sent some people into a panic of sorts, and Camping was certainly no exception.

Posts: 1833 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016