homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: And with your Spirit (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: And with your Spirit
PaulTH*
Shipmate
# 320

- Posted      Profile for PaulTH*   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the Silent Acolyte:
And yet, and yet, this is exactly what feminist theologians, and others—all assuredly with brains in their heads—have been telling you for years. The message still hasn't sunk into the brain in your head. Neither of you is witless. You just disagree.

I did emphasise that I would have left out the word "men", not because I think it a wrong translation, but because of the sensibilities which The Silent Acolyte mentions. However, I still consider this new translation to be far superior to what has been on offer for the last 40 years.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Paul

Posts: 6387 | From: White Cliffs Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulTH*:
I did emphasise that I would have left out the word "men", not because I think it a wrong translation, but because of the sensibilities which The Silent Acolyte mentions. However, I still consider this new translation to be far superior to what has been on offer for the last 40 years.

I heard a priest omit "men" just last Sunday. I still can't figure out whether he held "usss" for a bit too long, or whether it was "us" [rest] "and." It all goes so quickly! Thankfully, I was listening specifically for this.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
I heard a priest omit "men" just last Sunday.

I used to often hear it done that way in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s - and I left the word out myself.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016