homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Staring at the debt ceiling (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Staring at the debt ceiling
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
So which decline-and-fall or post-apocalyptic story are we playing out?

--"Omega Man"
--"The Postman"
--"The Road Warrior"
--"Wall-E"
--"The Fifth Sacred Thing"
--"Buffy" (Although Buffy "saved the world--a lot", so we never quite got a full apocalypse. "What, another one?")

My money is on The Road Warrior:

My life fades, the vision dims.
All that remains are memories.
I remember a time of chaos; ruined dreams this wasted land.
But most of all, I remember the Road Warrior, the man we called Max.
To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time when the world was powered by the black fuel and the deserts sprouted great cities of pipe and steel.
Gone now swept away.
For reasons long forgotten, two mighty warrior tribes went to war and touched off a blaze which engulfed them all.
Without fuel they were nothing.
They'd built a house of straw.
The thundering machines sputtered and stopped.
Their leaders talked and talked and talked but nothing could stem the avalanche.
Their world crumbled, the cities exploded.
A whirlwind of looting; a firestorm of fear.

[ 06. August 2011, 05:48: Message edited by: Alfred E. Neuman ]

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah - my money is on the usual muddle through.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

--"Omega Man"
--"The Postman"
--"The Road Warrior"
--"Wall-E"
--"Buffy" (Although Buffy "saved the world--a lot", so we never quite got a full apocalypse. "What, another one?")

I'd liken it to 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' with The Black Knight in the role of the capitalist economy: "'Tis but a flesh wound'" etc.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

--"Omega Man"
--"The Postman"
--"The Road Warrior"
--"Wall-E"

I'd liken it to 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' with The Black Knight in the role of the capitalist economy: "'Tis but a flesh wound'" etc.
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

"He chose... poorly."

Actually, as a metaphor it stands up quite well: chasing after an artefact of incomparable power and wealth, able to confer immortality but actually bringing about the destruction of all who seek it. "Let it go."

Family, friends, adventure. Worth their weight in treasure.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My money is on Soylent Green. Monsanto is working on it already.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rollerball. Giant corporations own everything and provide "bread and circuses" for the masses to keep them docile.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Matrix: we're all kept in our little cocoon and fed a reality that isn't there while our masters drain the very life energy from us. We individually atrophy away into almost nothing until we're no longer any use... then they flush us down the toilet.

However, you do get to keep voting on which machine gets to do this to us. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Nah - my money is on the usual muddle through.

With acknowledgements particularly to the above posters, I've started another thread to explore this tangent a little. Let it sink or swim.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We've been in a Ken Macleod novel for the past fifteen years or so. Not sure which one yet.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:

We've been in a Ken Macleod novel for the past fifteen years or so. Not sure which one yet.
Please let it be _Learning the World_. That was full of epic win.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
{Tangent.}

Doc Tor--

That's one of my favorite films. [Smile]

However, only people who sought the Grail for selfish reasons came to a bad end. Remember the guy from the order of the Cruciform Sword asked Indy why he sought the cup of Christ. Indy said he didn't; he just wanted to find his dad. So the guy wished him well. And when Indy actually did go for the Grail, it was to save his father's life. Because of that (and because he had some common sense!), he made it through ok.

Ilse sought the Grail as a pretty toy; unfortunately, she broke the rules and tried to take the Grail out of Alexandretta. And the guy who "chose poorly" [Paranoid] chose the wrong cup.

I wonder what would've happened if he'd chosen the real Grail, even selfishly? And I wonder what would've happened if Indy's dad had made it to the Grail, on his own quest rather than being forced, and had drunk from it then? His manner of seeking it was sometimes selfish, but he was devoted to it on a spiritual level.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today's edition of "The Newshour" on PBS did a great piece on what wealth distribution in the US is really like, and Americans' misperceptions of it.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good lord. The top 20% of Americans own 84% of the wealth.

The bottom 40% own .1% (1/10th of one percent) of the wealth.

We're doomed.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

BTW, the link I just posted has audio, video, and transcript options.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the link -

"It's getting easier for people to ignore the inequality. They can stay far away from it."

Yes - and many deliberately hide from it. They put walls and gates round their well off communities. Then again, there's a wall keeping Mexicans out too, isn't there?

[ 17. August 2011, 06:45: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Today's edition of "The Newshour" on PBS did a great piece on what wealth distribution in the US is really like, and Americans' misperceptions of it.

People were asked to look at a chart of a mythical country which has total equality of wealth, a chart of Sweden (not named) which has a middling distance between rich and poor, and a chart of the US (again, not named) which shows a huge gap between the rich and poor. Many of them choose the Swedish chart as representing the US and speculated that the US chart represented places like India or a third-world country in Africa.

Interestingly, Americans in the lower end of the economic scale more often correctly picked the right pie chart. They know they aren't in an equal system.

I believe many good people don't really want to let go of the idea of the "American Dream" because it is a dream of equality. And since many people tend to live in non-diverse neighborhoods, it's easy to look around and think that life here is generally better for all than it really is.

And then there are those who benefit from the inequality and don't seem willing to consider what the gap in rich/poor really means for the health of our nation in general. I wish some of them would pay more attention to Warren Buffet.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Then again, there's a wall keeping Mexicans out too, isn't there?

Not really. There's a wall that some people claim is keeping Mexicans out, but mostly it does other stuff.

quote:
Flooding caused by a border security fence in southwestern Arizona shows the structure is being built too quickly and without regard for the environment, critics say.

Debris and water backed up at the fence during a storm July 12, leading to flooding at the port of entry at Lukeville and Sonoyta, Mexico, and at the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument.

"One of the reasons for it was the debris that accumulated on the fence itself," said Lee Baiza, superintendent of the monument, a lush desert tract overseen by the National Park Service.

As a measure to divert the flow of people, as opposed to water, the border fence has been significantly less successful.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

And there's this shocking bit, from the "Newshour" transcript:

quote:
Economist Richard Freeman is not surprised.

RICHARD FREEMAN: We're high for a poor country, in terms of inequality, and we're a rich country. We're about the same level of inequality as China. And, of course, China, half the population are rural peasants who are not part of the modern world.

And if we were to compare us with African countries, dictators in different places, you know, taking a lot of the wealth from normal people, we would be among the top half of the African countries of inequality. So, the U.S. really has reached an extraordinary level of income inequality.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And Rick Perry now complains that the real injustice is that the poor are not paying enough taxes.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

FYI: there are some questions about the Swedish statistics.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016