homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Previous thread archived here.

Welcome to the 2011 reboot.

Firenze
Heaven Host

[ 31. December 2011, 20:11: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congrats on 8k posts, Firenze, and thanks for archiving this - there's some good stuff on there.

Happy New Geek Year, all! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any OpenOffice sufferers -- I mean users -- out there? I'm trying to do a document with multiple chapters and I want to use the style feature. I created the master document, and tied the chapters into it, but how do I get changes in the paragraph styles to cascade through the documents? I've tried making the changes in the master document first, but then when I go to a subordinate document, they don't show up. And of course changes to one subordinate document are not available to another. Why can't you just save a fecking template and tie any ODT file to it? Ye gods these programmers must be people who weren't smart enough to work for Microsoft.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that Mousethief. Now I know I should counter the other advice my grandparents are getting that their new computer needs neither iWork or Office for Mac because OpenOffice is so much better.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
mousethief - double-checking with my daughter, she gave up OpenOffice and went back to Micro$oft because she couldn't get things to format to the level she needed for her university course (both word and spreadsheet documents). But ... have you looked to see if there is an add-on that might help? Not that I can see anything in the repository with a quick glance.

I haven't tried to do anything that complicated in Open Office - I get wound up enough producing worksheets for teaching and trying to include pictures, or producing PowerPoints (yes, I mean PowerPoints because I have to use them on a MicroSoft machine) for a starter.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've also only used Open Office for rudimentary word processing. I hope it will develop more.
If it helps, I am told MS Word was once considered a joke. The then dominant program was Word Perfect?

Personally, I dislike MS Word. I want a viable alternative.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
or an add-on from here OpenOffice Extensions site

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, this is weird. Suddenly gmail is sorting my inbox upside-down. How do I get it to go back to the way I want it? Don't tell me to click on "date" because there are no column headings.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could not find a setting to change that, MT. I went through the settings, changed to a Priority Inbox. Nothing. ISTM it is a glitch.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Thanks for trying, lilBuddha!

--------------------

Pasta la Vista
Apprentice
# 15288

- Posted      Profile for Pasta la Vista     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Any OpenOffice sufferers -- I mean users -- out there? I'm trying to do a document with multiple chapters and I want to use the style feature. I created the master document, and tied the chapters into it, but how do I get changes in the paragraph styles to cascade through the documents? I've tried making the changes in the master document first, but then when I go to a subordinate document, they don't show up. And of course changes to one subordinate document are not available to another. Why can't you just save a fecking template and tie any ODT file to it? Ye gods these programmers must be people who weren't smart enough to work for Microsoft.

Seems to me you can save a fecking template and tie .odt files to it. This worked for me.

Create a new fecking template (.ott) with the styles you want to use and save it.
Create a master document (.odm) using the new template
Create a couple of new documents (.odt) based on the new template. File->New->Templates and Documents, locate the new template (click Templates in the left-hand pane, double-click My Templates in right-hand pane if necessary, select the new template), click Open. Save the new documents.
Link the new documents to the master as sub-documents. In Navigator in the master doc, click the Insert->File. Locate and select your new document files. Save the master doc.
Close master and sub-documents.
Open the template, change style(s) as desired, save template.
Re-open each sub-document - accept the prompt to Update Styles. Save it.
Re-open master document - accept the prompt to Update Styles. Save it.
And relax.

Perhaps that's not what you're trying to do?

N.B. I don't work for Microsoft, nor have ever wished to. Insufficiently smart to realise the logical way to shut down is to click Start. But then I'm not even smart enough to make Word number paragraphs correctly, ever. I think we're supposed to call programmers 'developers' or 'software engineers' these days, whatever that is in India or China where they all are now. Anyway, fret not, Oracle are in charge of OOo now, so it'll be either perfect or stone dead soon, as will MySQL and Java.

--------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 9 | From: Deep midwicket | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, internet access is sometimes slow to the point of crawling with pages that hang. The problem seems to be related to one of the svchost.exe processes, and I think it's dnscache or something to do with the cache memory. I've noticed if I kill the process, the freeze disappears and the page loads immediately and I can just get on with it OK from that point. I usually only have to do this once.

What I need, though, is a permanent solution to this problem, as I don't understand what's going on here and I don't want to think I'm doing some irreparable damage. Any suggestions?

I've uninstalled Spybot which seems to have made a huge number of additions to the host file and I'm just wondering whether this has anything to do with it. I don't know enough about this kind of thing to risk fiddling with it.

This is Windows XP 2, btw. Any suggestions welcome (but I don't know anything about XP2 operating systems or networks, so amending config files etc isn't going to be my strong point).

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel, all Spybot's hosts additions do is prevent the computer from accessing known dodgy URLs - anything Spybot puts in there basically doesn't get looked up by DNS, because hosts has already pointed it to a 'null' address (loopback, if I remember rightly).

So that won't be slowing it down.

When you're getting iffy 'net access and you're confident it's not the ISP but something local the usual things to do are:

- a thorough check for viruses, with your normal scanner and potentially a second as a one-off (www.trend.com have an online one called Housecall that's handy for the secondary scan)

- a thorough check for Malware using one or both of Spybot or Malwarebytes (I favour the latter these days, but mileage varies)

- flush out your temporary files by deleting everything not in use from %temp% and %systemroot%\temp (just type those strings into the "Run" box on the start menu)

- if using Internet Explorer, purge the Temporary Internet Files from the Internet Options applet (Control Panel, or Tools > Options in IE itself)

- check you haven't got a stupidly big cache size set; older versions of IE just used a percentage of the drive, which results in multi-gig caches which can be detrimental

- remove any crappy third part toolbars that have been installed in your browser; most likely they're only scamware tracking your browsing anyway

- if your anti-virus solution includes link scanners and various other webby bits, they can slow things down too; experiment with turning those bits off and using common sense as to which links you click on

Of course, it could be something totally different [Devil] but that lot runs through a lot of the standard issues.

If you want to get behind the svchost process, you may need to play with some of the SysInternals tools.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is anyone familiar with the ins and outs of using LinkedIn?

I tried to alter my account from an @googlemail address to an @gmail address when it became possible for Google to call it gmail in the UK. Obviously I didn't try the right thing as I now have two accounts, one each under googlemail and gmail, with different contacts depending on which one with my name on they found first!

Is there a way of merging the two, or will I have to bin one account and try to make contact anew with the contacts from that account?

Any assistance gratefully received!

Thanks,

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
[...] This is Windows XP 2, btw. Any suggestions welcome (but I don't know anything about XP2 operating systems or networks, so amending config files etc isn't going to be my strong point).

I'd also advise to update to XP SP3, as SP2 no longer has any security and other updates.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

You do need to check the spec required for Service Pack 3 though. Some XP machines aren't up to the upgrade (grrr).

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Is anyone familiar with the ins and outs of using LinkedIn?

Hmm. Well, I seem to have managed to reduce my acciounts to oe but, despite attempting to follow all LinkedIn's instructions, my connections are all over the shop and I've got to re-upload my profile and CV.

Arse! Bloody computers...

AG

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if this is appropriate for this thread or not. Apologies if it isn't.

I need to buy an external DVD burner. I assume it would be one that connects to a computer via a USB connection. Anyone got any recommendations of brands or models that are better or worse than others? Also, what features should I be looking for?

All advice gratefully received!

iF

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Snags! I had already done the virus check, deletion of temporary files, search for spyware and malware; there aren't any spare toolbars floating around as far as I know; and I'm now experimenting with turning off the bits of Avira which are scanning everything I access.

quote:
- check you haven't got a stupidly big cache size set; older versions of IE just used a percentage of the drive, which results in multi-gig caches which can be detrimental
I don't use IE except for one site that doesn't work in other browsers. I'm on Opera, with a cache of 100Mb.

I'm not sure about running XP3 on this pc - I'd need to check compatibility first, also with some of my programs as they're a bit old now.

All v odd, but I'll keep trying ideas. Thanks for the suggestions!

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is probably a stupid question but I can't remember how to do this - how do I find out which version of Internet Explorer I have running on my PC?

[Confused]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whilst in Internet Explorer, click on 'Help' from the top bar, then 'About Internet Explorer', usually the last option in the drop down list.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, that's it!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the weekend, my PC seized up, then I received a "blue screen of death" with white letters informing me that my PC was loaded with worms and viruses.
I noticed that a new program called freepcaudit had been installed, believed that to be the problem, and took my processor to a local repair shop.
After 3 days and a fairly heavy price tag, he told me my computer was all better now.

Thing is, freepcaudit is still there, I can not run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and can not sign onto The Ship's chatroom forum, as the requisite program will not run.

I suspect the bloke, who told me he removed 14 viruses, simply restored it to an older time (the automatic updates ran 95 updates when I got it home, changing my browser back to Explorer 8, which it had been prior to the arrival of the blue screen of death) among other things, left me with freepcaudit which I suspect of being malware, and left me unable to run my program to remove malware.
Any suggestions, Shippies?

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:

Any suggestions, Shippies?

You have been, as the jargon term has it, pwned.

Ideal solution - delete it all, reformat the disks, reinstall the operating system.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I checked under Control Panel and freepcaudit is not there under "Safely add and remove programs."
I do not have the original software to re-install the system.
Just now, some Micorsoft security updates fror XP showed up; my system was unable to install some of them.
I can not go to the Chat Cafe because Faverole will not run.
So, am I just basically screwed?

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

IF you cannot download malwarebytes again, do you know anyone who could burn it to CD for you or copy it to a thumb drive for you?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could try running the online virus/spyware scanner from Trend Micro and see if that can get rid of it.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Sorry IF, all my DVD drives have been internal. It does seem many externals are USB 2.0. I would stick to a name brand and would look to the software included. Wish I could be of more help.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Imaginary Friend: Plextor have historically been the dog's danglies, but at a price. Failing that any half-way decent main brand should be fine (or by a cheapo enclosure and a £15 generic DVD-RW and make your own).

Silver Faux: there are a number of options, although they can get a bit involved.

a) Power the PC on and pretty much immediately start bashing the F8 key. This should bring up a boot menu. If you get the Windows graphical startup screen you've missed it.

From the boot menu choose "Safe Mode With Networking" and let the system boot. Then try to download Malwarebytes, update and scan.

You may find that even after clearing out you still have issues, probably because the malware has changed a bunch of important registry keys. Easiest root out of there is going to be System Restore back to before the infection, or a world of farting about.

If you're sufficiently nobbled that you can't download it from Safe Mode then you'll have to go to Plan B.

b) On a clean machine, go to somewhere appropriate and download a command line scanner and all the virus definitions for it. Burn the whole lot to a CD, then boot your infected machine and do the F8 thing and choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Scan the wotsits off it.

I'm most familiar with using the command line scanner from Sophos (SAV32CLI from www.sophos.com) but that's because we're something of a Sophos house - there may be others, but that's freely available, although a bit techy to operate. If you search the Sophos support site there are instructions on how to drive it though.

If you find that you're STILL stuffed, then you either need to scan from a bootable CD, or put the drive in another machine as a slave and scan from there.

Or say "Sod it", blow it all away, and restore from your last backup (yeah, I know ...)

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

- Posted      Profile for Jessie Phillips     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:
I do not have the original software to re-install the system.

When I'm in that situation with a second-hand computer that has become unusable, I just install Ubuntu or Fedora on it. It's a darn site easier than faffing about trying to reinstall a copy of Windows of unknown legal status. That said, I tend to milk the pre-existing OS for all its worth before switching over. I'll dual-boot it if the existing OS is still serviceable, unless I'm absolutely convinced beyond all doubt that it's irrecoverably overrun with malware.
Posts: 2244 | From: Home counties, UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Well, I still have the 100 cpu usage problem I described earlier in a post further up this page, and the only cure seems to be to kill one of the svchost processes to get it to work properly as I don't know which process exactly is clogging it up - I suspect dnscache. The other thing I've just discovered is that I can't access any https websites, with any browser: they either hang, or with Opera I get an error message (552) about the website having the wrong version of SSL, which I don't believe.

Any suggestions would be welcome...

[ 16. January 2011, 14:11: Message edited by: Ariel ]

lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I need to set up a board that would be something like one of the private boards here. Ideally, people who had permission or a password could engage in conversation around several different topics.

I have never done anything like this. Everyone I've talked to seems to think it is a piece of cake to set up. A search shows that there are many free sites where a person could set up such a board. Does anyone here have any advice about reliable sites or the pros and cons of doing something like this? I would love to have the ability to have a chat feature with it, if that makes a difference.

Right now we are spending thousands of dollars a year to bring people together for meetings and not only do we not have the budget for it but we're expecting volunteers and parish clergy to drive for four to eight hours for a two hour meeting. Something has got to give.

If you want to pm me instead of posting here, that's okay too.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a Word 2010 problem.

I have a .doc document with a drawing object in it (ie a nice box round some text written in standard fashion). The box displays when opening the document but not in print preview. It doesn't print out to a printer and neither will it print to a PDF. It will print out if opened in Word 2007 or Word 2003 though.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? (Nobody on mousethief's Hell thread wants to play [Waterworks] )

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus

Is this any use. I did not know you could set Word so that "the Print drawings created in Word option turned off".

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
cross eyed bear
Shipmate
# 13977

- Posted      Profile for cross eyed bear   Email cross eyed bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried installing my copy of MS Office 2000 onto my (relatively new) netbook. The netbook runs XP and before installing office 2000, I completely used up a 30-go free trial of Office 2007.

Although the rest of Office 2000 works fine on the netbook (although getting Word to run involved uninstalling some add ons), Powerpoint just refuses to load. Instead I get a message which states something along the lines of "Powerpoint has encountered an error and will have to close down. Save any files you may have been working on" (as my computers are in German, I'm not too sure of the English wording)

Despite uninstalling / deleting every 2007 file I found before loading 2000, I suspect that there may be an element of powerpoint 2007 running in the background which is blocking powerpoint 2000. This is particularly plausible to me as I used to leave powerpoint running when the netbook was on standby, to delay the day when my 30 uses of the trial version would be over and I would have to find the time to load up a proper version. Looking on the internet, I found some visual basic coding to search out "hidde_" instances of powerpoint, but don't have the visual basic knowledge of how to actually use such coding.

Possibly relevant: I also have open office on the netbook (which is barely used as I have hyperlinks to jump slides in a lecture and these aren't supported by open office)

-Could there be a different root to my problem?

-How can I get powerpoint 2000 to run?
Ironically, it's the programme I need the most on the netbook...

Grateful for any ideas!

--------------------
"One false step in my direction, you'd better believe in the resurrection" Stillgoe & Skellern's "Mrs Beamish"

Posts: 120 | From: Southern Germany | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cross Eyed Bear

I am too tired to do much successful finding on that tonight but...

if I were you I would Google the exact error message in German, then look through the solutions for any indication of having previously installed Office 2007.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry it took me so long to acknowledge the responses to my question about DVD drives: you've been very helpful, so thanks. [Smile]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Okay here's the deal. I decided to convert my Linux system to a dual-boot. According to everything I read online, Windows has to install first, then Linux.

So I boot to the Windows XP CD-ROM, and it gets to the point where it should start to install, and it says it can't find any hard drives! As kids these days say, what's that about?

There's clearly a hard drive because I took the Windows XP CD-ROM out of the drive and rebooted and here I am.

Say whhhhuuuuutttt?

Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong, or what I have to do to the hard drive to get Windows to see it?

(PS reason why I need dual boot: have some software I need for school that only runs on Windows.)

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess is that your HDD is SATA and the XP disc does not have the drivers to recognise them. I reached that stage once but did not find the solution.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Okay here's the deal. I decided to convert my Linux system to a dual-boot. According to everything I read online, Windows has to install first, then Linux.

So I boot to the Windows XP CD-ROM, and it gets to the point where it should start to install, and it says it can't find any hard drives! As kids these days say, what's that about?

There's clearly a hard drive because I took the Windows XP CD-ROM out of the drive and rebooted and here I am.

Say whhhhuuuuutttt?

Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong, or what I have to do to the hard drive to get Windows to see it?

(PS reason why I need dual boot: have some software I need for school that only runs on Windows.)

quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
My guess is that your HDD is SATA and the XP disc does not have the drivers to recognise them. I reached that stage once but did not find the solution.

I suspect MT that Latchkey Kid is right. Annoyingly XP doesn't properly support serial ATA drives. You can get round this though by installing the SATA driver from a floppy. The version of XP pro that I used to use would only let you do it from a floppy disc and not from a CD, which always struck me as very odd. Let me know if I can help further.

AFZ

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

The thing is, I need to re-partition the drive before I install Windows, so where would I install the SATA reading utility? I've got a round robin of catch-22's going on. Who will rescue me from this body of death?!

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The thing is, I need to re-partition the drive before I install Windows, so where would I install the SATA reading utility? I've got a round robin of catch-22's going on. Who will rescue me from this body of death?!

That's not a problem as the Windows installer will let you partition the disc (once it know's it's there!)

Do you know what make the HDD is?

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

Sorry, do you know what brand the motherboard is?

(I really shouldn't try to engage at the end of a night shift!)

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Well it's a Compaq nc6400 laptop. I'd assume it was a Compaq/HP motherboard but I know so little about laptops (and not much about towers anymore either -- my hardware days are long behind me).

--------------------

alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

quote:
Well it's a Compaq nc6400 laptop. I'd assume it was a Compaq/HP motherboard but I know so little about laptops (and not much about towers anymore either -- my hardware days are long behind me).

OK, The HP website appears to have the SATA driver available for download:

The convential way it works with XP, is that very early in the installation is asks if you want to add any RAID drivers (I think, it's 3-4 years since I last did this as I've moved all my machines to Win7). At this point you insert the floppy and voila.

But I've just found This page which provides a nice little way round the lack-of-floppy problem. There's also a nice trick in the comments section about changing the BIOS to recognise SATA.

I can't vouch for any of this personally. When I had this problem I dug out an old floppy drive and installed it but that was a desktop not a laptop.

Hope this helps.

AFZ

--------------------
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lily pad, you may find it helpful to look through these reviews. Chatroom wise, I used to run the free version parachat without any problems. You can pay very little, couple of dollars a month, to have it ad free.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of this lot, if you want the forum ready hosted. (Though you will need to think about confidentially.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Eutychus

Is this any use. I did not know you could set Word so that "the Print drawings created in Word option turned off".

Jengie

Jengie, thank you so much. I had to wade through the turgid instructions and back-translate from the French version, but this

quote:
Word 2010

1. Click File, and then click Options.
2. Click Display.
3. Under Printing options, click to select the Print drawings created in Word check box.
4. Click OK.

did indeed fix it. I wonder why the default is 'off'?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Okay I've given up on the dual boot idea and have resigned myself to dragging out an old tower and making that work for the MS stuff I have to do.

Now all I want is for my sound system to work right. Has anybody got any idea what I can do? I left a request for help on the official site, and have gotten jack shit. Do any of our resident Linux experts have a solution? Please? I can send chocolate.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

mousethief, I'm confused about your statement in Hell that Linux doesn't let you run two sound sources at once. This machine running Linux allows me to hear two things at once - so the sounds from a game and a YouTube or i-player programme. In fact, I can get both YouTube and i-player running at once should I want a headache. (I checked it for someone else when they were installing Linux).

What programs for sound have you got installed? And did you install them from the repository or from sites?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016