homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alex: are you saying that when my home directory begins to swamp the boot partition, it will spill over into this mystery locked partition? If not, then it's not "well enough" because it's consumed 40% of my hard drive and won't let me access it.

Wilson: contents of fstab follows:
----------------------------------------------------
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=49592cc3-ee0c-41fe-ae4d-ebd6cf777676 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=ac71cc74-5477-4695-92b6-ae94d21d8d84 none swap sw 0 0

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Mousethief.

So basically that partition doesn't appear in the fstab at all. Which is a little odd because if it got created during installation it should have done but let's worry about why it happened later (if at all).

I'm going to suggest we do this at the command line. I'm sure it can all be done via the GUI but I'm not familiar enough with those tools.

So first we need a mount point. Choose something that you want to call it. I'd suggest something concise and avoid special characters and spaces (you could use them but it just makes life a wee bit harder).

I'll assume that you're going to call it /disk2 - if you choose something else substitute as appropriate.

First open a terminal window. You'll be running as whatever you called your user. Just to check what that actually is run:

id -nu

In my case that comes back with 'paul'. Let's assume yours says 'mousethief'. This is your user name as seen by the command line. Make a note of it.

First let's label the filesystem. This gives it a friendlier name and it'll also help with mounting. The filesystem is ext4 and the command to label an extX fs is "e2label" so:

sudo e2label /dev/sda2 my_new_disk

The "sudo" means run this command as the root user. It will prompt you for your password but it should remember it for subsequent commands - at least in this session.

/dev/sda2 is the device relating to the disk partition. I can see from the picture that the 199Gb partition is /dev/sda2 (see Device: under the graphic)

my_new_disk is the label. It needs to be 16 characters or less and again avoid spaces. I've deliberately chosen an example that's different from the mount point to show they're different things but you could call this disk2 (or whatever) also.

Next let's create the mount point. Which is just creating a directory:

sudo mkdir /disk2
sudo chown mousethief /disk2

We need to use sudo because you need to have root privileges to write to the / directory. The second command causes the new directory to be owned by the mousethief user.

Next you need to edit /etc/fstab. Now this is a very important file so we don't want to mess it up. Firstly let's take a backup copy just in case:

sudo cp /etc/fstab /etc/fstab.copy

To actually edit the file I'd recommend

sudoedit /etc/fstab

This will take you into a simple editor called nano. This is the important bit. We need to add a line that looks like this:

/dev/sda2 /disk2 ext4 defaults 0 2

Which means "mount the ext4 filesystem which is on device /dev/sda3 on the mount point /disk2".

So long as you don't change/delete any of the existing lines in the file the worst you can do here is continue to not be able to mount this partition. To save your changes hit Ctrl-X and choose Y.

Now you should be able to mount it:

sudo mount /dev/sda2

Check that it has mounted:

df

You should see a line with /dev/sda2 on it.

One final thing is to run this again:

sudo chown mousethief /disk2

This may seem odd but once the partition is mounted then the directory /disk2 is the one actually on the partition itself and we need that to be owned by mousethief so that you can create files and directories there. If you like we've overlaid the new /disk2 on top of the one that was part of the / filesystem.

If all that worked you should now see the partition in nautilus and it should show the label name instead of the "199Gb" so you know what it is.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wilson: when I did sudo mkdir /accessible, it made it in my root, not in my_new_disk. I think you left out a step about how to get over to there as your working directory.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Oohhhhh, I get it. Never mind.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*waves* come to the cafe, couple of us on ubuntu in there at the mo.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I renamed the recalcitrant filesystem "mysterion" (for obvious reasons), and then went and looked in the disk utility, and it was already mounted, but mounted as /media/mysterion. So I did a chown on media/mysterion and hey presto! I can use it.

I did all your other steps, and mounted it to /accessible. I then created a new folder there and called it fred. Then testing showed the following:

cd /media/mysterion
ls

gives

fred lost+found

but also

cd /accessible
ls

gives the exact same thing

fred lost+found

so there you have it.

I went and commented out the line I just made in fstab and rebooted (just to be safe; I'm still breathing Windows fumes), and I can still access /media/mysterion and read/write there.

Mystery solved.

A fellow on ubuntu forums suggested I reformat it as an NFTS drive so it can be used by both windows and Linux, but I'm also interested in hearing what Alex has to say about virtual machines. I'm going to go read what he suggested.

Thanks, Wilson! I am slipping further into your and Alex's debt. Soon I shall have to mail you chocolate.

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
on vms running within ubuntu, looks like it's best to use _Virtualbox_ to host these as vmware is NOT currently packaged for the OS but needs compiling.

I'll file a packaging request sometime later, but it could take a long time. but it used to be packaged for ubuntu back during 6.06's life.

Vmware is still good to run where windows is the host and Ubuntu the guest.

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm ahead of you here. I loaded virtualbox from the Software Center! and am setting it up. It's incredibly way cool and I think it's the way I go. In the "seamless" mode I can have windows windows and GNOME windows up on my GNOME desktop simultaneously. Still haven't figured out how to get it to see my thumb drive, but given that I can have a Ubuntu folder that is visible as a network drive within the virtual machine, I can always pass things that way. It's a little clunky but it works.

So I'm sold on the VM. How do I remove the dual boot from grub? I've already copied a complete image of my windows installation onto the external HDD. (Which doesn't matter because the partition is visible anyway so there's no need to delete anything.)

Once I do that, is there any reason to change the old windows partition, like reformat it or anything? It is of course NFTS right now.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Oh, and do I need to install an antivirus package in my virtual machine?

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Oh, and do I need to install an antivirus package in my virtual machine?

No. Unless you're using it as a fileseever for Windows kit... but that's only to protect the Windowas boxes.
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

ah... if you're running xp in the vm, yolu may want to run a lightweight av option...
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to hear you got the partition working in the end. It looks like giving it a label allowed the auto-mounter to do its thing. That's what mounts external drives and CDs or DVDs and the giveaway is that it's mounting under /media/labelname.

I've not used Virtualbox as much as vmware but if the networking defaults to the same setting (bridged) then the VM will appear on your network the same as any physical machine so I'd treat it the same way you would a physical machine with XP - which includes AV.

As for your old Windows partition - no need to reformat it unless you want to. Although I assume you want to delete the files so you can use the space so reformatting would be a quick way to do that.

On the grub question, it ought to be pretty straightforward to remove the Windows entry. However this is one area where if you have a mishap it will make things very awkward - system may not boot. Not impossible to recover from but a bit of a pain.

That being the case I looked to see if there was a suitable GUI tool. The one I found startupmanager seems to only allow you to change the default (and various other settings) but not remove an entry. What you can do however is use it to change the settings so that it boots straight into Linux without delay.

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My desktop at the moment currently runs Windows XP and Office 2003 (I also dual-boot with Ubuntu, but that's another story). Is it worth upgrading to Windows 7 and/or Office 2010?

I'm studying at the moment so could get a student discount on the upgrade, but I don't have any problems with my current set-up, so I wonder whether it's worth the effort and money. Opinions?

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Revolutionist: it's a trade-off. From what I've heard Windows 7 and Office 2010 do a lot of things differently so you'd have to spend some time learning the new layout and methodology. On the other hand eventually XP and Office 2003 will stop being supported. Not so horrible for Office, but if they cut off security updates for XP then as security holes are discovered the bad guys will specifically target them because they know lots of people will have legacy installations of XP and won't have switched over, making them a ripe target. Dunno what the official cut-off date is for XP support however.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Microsoft say support for Windows XP service patch 2 is ending July this year but what you can upgrade for free to sp3 see here.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jengie, you might wish to check that link.

TR, I run windows 7 with no issue. The new Office is a bit different, but not a real problem to learn. As to whether it is worth it, I would say no rush as long as you have the ability to buy the student version available. The only real issue is dealing with those who have made the upgrade. They often use the default settings which cannot be read by the Office 2003 without an add-on.

[ 24. January 2011, 18:08: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very simple question - what is the best AV for a Mac? Ive read reviews and confused myself.

I used AVG Free on my old PC.

Thank you!

Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lilBuddha - the answer given is that you can download a patch for Office 2003 to read Office 2007 - but my experience of that one hasn't been good. Nice stable Office 2003 turning into the worst of unstable 2007

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
A very simple question - what is the best AV for a Mac? Ive read reviews and confused myself.

I used AVG Free on my old PC.

Thank you!

I recommend Avast.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Jengie, you might wish to check that link.

Working for me ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The link takes me to Canterbury Press. Cannot see which book there would direct to Windows sp3, unless it is the title that starts with The Problem with Evil...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hesitate to stick my nose (snout) into this august group, but here goes: I was thinking (uhoh) when I 'clicked on my mouse this morning, that way back long long ago, didn't the mouse make a real 'click' sound when you 'clicked' on something on the screen?

Now, it's silent, & sometimes I'm not sure I really made contact. Am I mis-remembering that clicky sound?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, you're not. Partly there used to be a mechanical click from the button itself, which some modern mice dampen. But there did also used to be a "click" from the computer on some mouse events, much like the default "Annoy my by ticking at me" on a modern mobile phone.

If you reverse the process here for a Windows box, you'll get it back.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Snags.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:
My desktop at the moment currently runs Windows XP and Office 2003 (I also dual-boot with Ubuntu, but that's another story). Is it worth upgrading to Windows 7 and/or Office 2010?

Office 2010 will give you the ribbon interface. That takes some learning to get used to. Not so much a problem using what's obvious on the surface of it, but relearning where all your favourite commands have gone is annoying for a while.

Windows 7 seems to move just about everything compared to where it was in Windows XP. So that will also require relearning.

One thing in Windows 7 is to use the Help feature from the Start menu liberally. It's much improved from previous Help, and is a lifesaver for finding all those things which are now accessed in slightly different ways.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am clearly channeling my inner geek - since I installed the vm player I have tried out three different linux distributions. Currently, am thinking Lucid Puppy is good for old and/or small (like mine) machines. Very very fast - still playing about to look to see what functionality I can get out of it though. (Damn Small Linux was very fast, but not pretty and rather limited in what it could do - but you still get a browser and the basics.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Hmm, Lucid Puppy really does not like not being on removable media. And requires a firewall - which is odd for linux.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Well I gots me a book what is called A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux. I have begun to read it. The beginning is a little slow, a history of UNIX and Linux and their derivatives, movers, shakers, and lookers-on.

I was disappointed that it didn't have the "rename" command. Fortunately the man for that command is actually helpful, in that it has handy examples that are actually informative.

So I wrote my first script, which changes .wav files to .mp3 files. I couldn't figure out how to grab just the first part of the name (I know how to do this in Visual Basic, but couldn't find it in the manual) so I ended up doing a workaround. My program:

for file in *.wav; do $(lame --vbr-new -V 1 "$file" "$file.mp3"); done
rename 's/\.wav\.mp3/\.mp3/' *.wav.mp3
rm *.wav

[Cool]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Revolutionist:

To add to what others have said, I recommend the XP/Office 2003 to 7 and Office 2010 jump, saves all that tedious messing about with Vista.

I changed in December and as AR says, it does take a bit of getting used to. Office 2010 will open Open Office format documents straight off. A big plus of the ribbon format AR mentioned is that it's customisable.

One of the best improvements I don't think anybody's mentioned between XP and 7 is the search function (mine never worked very well in XP and Google Desktop kept losing things). It's really good and enables you to open the folder in which documents thrown up by your search are being kept. You can also search just within one particlar folder.

Finally, OneNote (which is part of the Office 2010 suite) is great for doing OCR compared to the clunky workarounds in Office 2003, you barely have to look at a scanned letter and it's converted into an editable Word document. In fact I'm sure OneNote does a whole lot of other fun things which I just haven't had the opportunity to play with yet.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Software query :

Is there a way, using MS Word 2007, to create a multi-page document consisting of two columns into which I can insert Document A into column A {without it automatically filling up Column B on each page as well} and then insert Document B into Column B ?

I have tried and failed miserably. I am trying to create a Latin/English Psalter in parallel columns.........

Any help will be muchly appreciated :-)

Edited to correct typo.

[ 26. January 2011, 07:24: Message edited by: Boadicea Trott ]

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Well I gots me a book what is called A Practical Guide to Ubuntu Linux. I have begun to read it. The beginning is a little slow, a history of UNIX and Linux and their derivatives, movers, shakers, and lookers-on.

I was disappointed that it didn't have the "rename" command. Fortunately the man for that command is actually helpful, in that it has handy examples that are actually informative.

So I wrote my first script, which changes .wav files to .mp3 files. I couldn't figure out how to grab just the first part of the name (I know how to do this in Visual Basic, but couldn't find it in the manual) so I ended up doing a workaround. My program:

for file in *.wav; do $(lame --vbr-new -V 1 "$file" "$file.mp3"); done
rename 's/\.wav\.mp3/\.mp3/' *.wav.mp3
rm *.wav

[Cool]

IT DOES have a rename command! It's "mv"
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

then again, you'rw flyinfg ahead of me; I haben'rt writtwn any bash scripts myself... then again, Ik've been suppoet rathger thgan dev.

Mt, oyu are a birt more of a geek than me. I bought my ubuntu machines preinsrtalled.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
Software query :

Is there a way, using MS Word 2007, to create a multi-page document consisting of two columns into which I can insert Document A into column A {without it automatically filling up Column B on each page as well} and then insert Document B into Column B ?

Not sure if this will work in Office 2007, but the way I'd do it is in a table - so you set up a two column table and fill column 1 with document A and column 2 with document B. To line things up, add table rows

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
IT DOES have a rename command! It's "mv"

I didn't say A rename command, I said THE rename command. Namely, "rename".

Actually I lied -- I forgot the script I wrote a couple of months ago to turn the bloody thumb pad thing off. Couldn't figure out how to make it run automatically at boot; I think it requires a sudo.

[ 26. January 2011, 07:41: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

mousethief,

Try this:

quote:
for file in *.wav
do
mp3_file=$(basename $file .wav).mp3
lame --vbr-new -V 1 "$file" "$mp3_file"
rm -i $file
done

You can ditch the -i on rm if you like. It's just giving you an "are you sure" prompt before deleting. Usually a good idea until you know your script is definitely working.

[ 26. January 2011, 08:05: Message edited by: wilson ]

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
quote:
Originally posted by Boadicea Trott:
Software query :

Not sure if this will work in Office 2007, but the way I'd do it is in a table - so you set up a two column table and fill column 1 with document A and column 2 with document B. To line things up, add table rows
Dear "Curiosity killed",

Thank you so much, it worked perfectly first time ! [Overused]

I had spent ages trying to do it over the last few days and was ending up getting thoroughly infuriated - and was about to abandon the idea as a bad job before thinking of asking folk on The Ship for help. [Big Grin]

Thanks again,

BT

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

@Wilson: what does the $( ) do?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Okay now this is weird. Is this something to worry about? I swear I never touched any of the things it mentions.

quote:
alex@winbuntu:~$ sudo nautilus
[sudo] password for alex:
Sorry, try again.
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

** (nautilus:2465): WARNING **: Could not inhibit power management: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
^Z
[1]+ Stopped sudo
nautilus
alex@winbuntu:~$

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...what does the $( ) do?

Sets up a temporary variable whose value is the result of the command enclosed in the brackets.

Similar to the more common use of `backticks` but has the advantage that you can nest the commands.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Okay now this is weird. Is this something to worry about? I swear I never touched any of the things it mentions.

quote:
alex@winbuntu:~$ sudo nautilus
Sorry, try again.
Initializing nautilus-gdu extension
Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: 'net usershare' returned error 255: net usershare: cannot open usershare directory /var/lib/samba/usershares. Error No such file or directory
Please ask your system administrator to enable user sharing.

** (nautilus:2465): WARNING **: Could not inhibit power management: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
^Z
[1]+ Stopped sudo
nautilus
alex@winbuntu:~$

Use "gksudo" when running graphical apps. It'll then set up the session correctly.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Ta.

Can I change that awful fake-tribal music bit that plays when it boots up? It must be a file somewhere. I managed to turn it off but it might be fun to change it to something I like rather than something that makes me cringe.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<at last finds an entrée into this Linux discussion>

I put the historic Win95 "Microsoft Chord" by Brian Eno on my XP PC for the startup tune, just to disturb people (and because I found it much superior to the triumphalist XP fanfare). That's one thing I haven't worked out how to do on 7 yet, though.

[ 26. January 2011, 20:53: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

Ha! The funny thing is that I'd naturally use backticks myself but I used the other construct only because it was in the original example.

Can't help with the startup sound - sorry.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by wilson:
mousethief,

Try this:

quote:
for file in *.wav
do
mp3_file=$(basename $file .wav).mp3
lame --vbr-new -V 1 "$file" "$mp3_file"
rm -i $file
done

You can ditch the -i on rm if you like. It's just giving you an "are you sure" prompt before deleting. Usually a good idea until you know your script is definitely working.
This was close. The $file in the mp3_file definition needed to be in double quotes. Also I replaced the rm command with a mv to the trash folder, just to be safe.

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

Well I learnt something new.

I didn't put $file in quotes because I assumed there would be no file names with spaces in (which is why you'd do it). And I assumed that because if there were then the for loop would pick up half the name at a time.

But it doesn't.

See I'm used to doing:

for i in `ls *.wav`

and in that case if I have "wilsons file.wav" then it'll go around the loop twice once with i=wilsons and once with i=file.wav.

It never occurred to me that if you did it the way you did that it would give you the whole filename in one go.

That's cool.

No, wait, where are you all going. This is cool honest...

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Okay, some time ago I told it to feck off when it kept asking me which program to run when I stuck a CD in the drive.

Now I'm doing a lot of music ripping and I want it to open the ripper software when I stick a CD in the drive.

Where do I go to tell it I changed my mind?

--------------------

3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any recommendations for an iPad bible?

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You might look for expanded versions of the best of the iphone apps ? Article here.

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

quote:
Okay, some time ago I told it to feck off when it kept asking me which program to run when I stuck a CD in the drive.

Now I'm doing a lot of music ripping and I want it to open the ripper software when I stick a CD in the drive.

Where do I go to tell it I changed my mind?

Open a Nautilus window. Choose the Edit menu and then Preferences. Choose the Media tab. Change CD Audio using the drop down.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Thanks, Wilson!

I upgraded my EasyTag and now I'm sorry I did. It continually tells me it can't find software to play a file that I don't ask it to play, and when I go to save a file it tells me that some other program has altered it since I opened it (which is impossible). Grrr.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016