homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can some kind, meciful soul please tell me
quote:
What is the K&R for html?
I swore by my little bronzed baby shoes that I would never learn yet another editor nor language, but God seems to have other plans. If I don't find something helpful and concise for this yardsale of a language, I'm going to go stark raving mad.

Please guide me!

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
quote:
What is the K&R for html?
!
You want whichever of the O'Reilly fluffy animal books is relevant to your needs. For straght HTML that is the koala book

They are generally cheaper, shorter, more accurate, better produced, and more fun to read than their competion. (& no they didn't pay me to say that)

To be honest, HTML itself is unlikely to be much of a hurdle for you - plenty of people learn the basics in an hour or so. Once you are past that hump then the best book is probably something like the O'Reiily HTML/XHTML pocket reference - a much smaller book but still with a cuddly koala.

People who actually make websites for a living are much more likely to struggle with CSS style sheets, or XML, or PHP, or Apache, or even the details of HTTPS, or whatever content managemnet system they use, than they are to get into a tiz over plain HTML - but of course that depends what you actually use the HTML for. And I'd still recommend the animal books.

Or Java, or Javascript, or Ruby, or Tomcat, or MySQL, or Jakarta, or... [whimpering voice of systems programmer dwindles into the distance]...

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Learned what little I know by doing, by web searches for what I was attempting so not sure how much help I can be. Heard good things about this site. This book might be worth a look.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, ken. The koala pocket reference is indeed what I need. I'll get it and keep it in the bathroom. I'll have other needs later, I'm sure.

I've had the brochure-ware, parish web site dropped on my head. The directory structure looks for all the world as though it's been carefully tended by a series of demented bower birds. The html code is a model of nothing wholesome. It's like I've been parachuted into a 1970s software development project run by a bunch shade-tree mechanic, social scientists.

Aiiyah! I never wanted to do this again.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone help me with this please?

I have one of these small Packard Bell netbooks, running Windows XP. I bought it around 1,5 years ago. This morning, it gave me the "Power Surge on your USB hub" message. The dialogue box then forced me to shut down the USB hub. At the time, a 3G dongle was plugged in.

When I tried it later, I saw that in fact not 1 but 2 of my USB points were shut down. So on a netbook that had only 3 USB points to begin with (which I already found a low number), I now only have 1 working That really is too little.

When I go to Windows Help and Support Centre, it tells me to uninstall the USB Composite Device, and then install it again.

I have found the Device Manager, and I see how I can uninstall it, but I'm a little hesitant to do so. Will I be able to install it again?

For example, the Help Centre suggests that I might need an installation CD to reinstall. I don't think I have an installation CD. I bought this computer with Windows already installed. And this being a netbook, it doesn't even have a CD player.

What would you suggest?

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go to the uninstaller, find out the precise information of the driver, search the internet for it. It is almost up there somewhere. Download.

Only when you have an install for that driver, then unistall the original, and reinstall.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
K, java thing remains wierd. Could get into the cafe yesterday but not today - and *nothing* has changed about my set-up. Tried clearing caches and temp files to see if that had something to do with - no dice.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Jengie Jon: thank you for your answer. After 24 hours of USB-portlessness the problem seems to have solved itself. I hope it stays this way. Otherwise, I'll use your suggestion.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you keep your laptop battery alive? When I got this computer back in October, it could go about 2.5 hours; now it's down to 2. How do you fight memory or whatever it is that causes this? Do you just get a hefty battery and plan for it to crap out in a year or so? Who will rescue me from this batt'ry of death?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Help!

Running Windows 7 on a fairly new PC (so no disk full or memory problems): no new hardware of programs installed: Zone Alarm and AVG for firewall and virus protection.

But something is happening at a very late stage of bootup. It gets to the normal desktop - and then freezes. There is very limited functionality - it will for example highlight desktop icons, or open the Windows menu, but if you click on anything, the little circle just spins for ever. Late items like the network connection (and the clock) don't start.

Have been into the startup menu and stopped any optional items, but no improvement.

I can run it in safe mode (as I am at the moment), but not otherwise.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze,

Are both ZA and AVG running when in safe mode? Did they run in harmony at any point? Do you have a restore point before you encountered problems? Do the network connection and clock work for you in safe mode?
If you could, please, a little more history of the problem.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fixed it.

It seems to have been the Webshots Wallpaper Changer - which I have been running happily on this and various predecessor PCs for the past decade.

I suspect I may have accepted an online update to one of its files (and why not, it's a trusted program) which doesn't run with Windows 7.

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MT: it depends on heaps of factors, so specific advice is a bit tricky.

NiCads tend to suffer from battery memory, so to get best life you need to fully charge/discharge rather than use on the mains all the time.

Nimh don't generally have that issue, and most newer laptops will be Nimh.

Some laptop brands come with their own battery management tools which will "condition" the battery (often by doing deep discharge/recharge routines etc.) to try and recover lost capacity/extend battery life.

Obviously you can also use power management settings to dim the screen, slow the CPU, turn off un-used bits (WiFi, Bluetooth, whatever) when on battery etc. to maximise whatever you've got to work with.

Ultimately, though, batteries will get "used up" over time and need replacing. How long that period of time is and what the charge capacity of the battery is will vary on the quality/capacity of the battery in the first place, plus how it's used and managed in practice. Plus whether you get a Friday afternoon one, of course.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been getting normal e-mails, from people I know, without attachments, which I've been opening and reading as per normal, and leaving them in my in-box till I get round to replying. Then, a couple of days later, little red flags are appearing next to some of them.

Where are these wee red flags coming from? They seem to be completely random.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
MT: it depends on heaps of factors, so specific advice is a bit tricky.

NiCads tend to suffer from battery memory, so to get best life you need to fully charge/discharge rather than use on the mains all the time.

Nimh don't generally have that issue,

Hmmm, technically true, but misleading. NiMH do suffer from voltage depression which may be what MT is experiencing.
Occasional complete discharge followed by full recharge keep NiMH at their best.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
I've been getting normal e-mails, from people I know, without attachments, which I've been opening and reading as per normal, and leaving them in my in-box till I get round to replying. Then, a couple of days later, little red flags are appearing next to some of them.

Where are these wee red flags coming from? They seem to be completely random.

Is this in Outlook? There is a whole raft of stuff which is supposed to help you remember which emails are urgent and when you are scheduled to reply to them etc. I used to use it when I was working - but I've gladly wiped the details from my memory. I think there's an 'Organize' tag under the mail options, which may be where you turn them on/off.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a Lithium Ion. Whatever that means.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Here is an article about Lithium Ion.
Lithium batteries do not like to be fully discharged. They do not suffer from memory effects as nickel based batteries, but they do have a limited life cycle.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
it can be tricky distinguishing decreased battery capacity from increased consumption. Over time lots of extra processes sneak in and increase cpu usage and decrease how long the battery will power the laptop. Some batteries last ages (I have one that still seems as good as new after 13 years, and another that seemed to start dying from day one.)
Lithium ion is just a technology that has high power density. They require well engineered chargers to avoid them exploding. The Li ion batteries you can buy over the counter for your cameras etc are not rechargeable.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Thanks lilBuddha; that was very informative. I unplugged my battery; the web site says that should help it last longer, although I can't store it at 40% because I need to be able to pop the battery in at any time and have the longest possible run time.

Oh, a related question: the battery level indicator that comes with Ubuntu 10.04 gives the amount of time left, but not the % of charge. Is there some utility I can get through the Software Center that will show % of charge?

[ 25. February 2011, 02:13: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any point in even wasting a moment's thought (as obviously I already have) on a malfunctioning inkjet printer? In this case, it refuses to admit it has paper in it (it does).

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Unless it is an expensive printer, no. Try removing the paper tray and sussing out how it functions. Occasionally, there is something misaligned and easily remedied. One problem I have had with cheap printers is making certain the stack of paper is neither in too deep or out too far. Also too much or too little paper can cause this.
Grasping here, sorry.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Correction: where I waffle about Nimh I meant Li-ion. Apologies - too much going on at the moment and brain fading away.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Using cheap cartridges on my printer made it signal it had no paper and every other error. It's working better with decent cartridges and being cleaned (cross fingers).

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Oh, a related question: the battery level indicator that comes with Ubuntu 10.04 gives the amount of time left, but not the % of charge. Is there some utility I can get through the Software Center that will show % of charge?

gnome-power-statistics can show that. It's probably installed by default (it is on my 10.10 system).
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Awesome, basso! I found it and added it to my Applications menu.

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HELP!!! I just bought a used Toshiba laptop -- still in good shape -- from a friend. It had Windows XP with MS Office on it, but the version that was on his PC at the time did not include MS Access. I said, prior to buying it -- that i had to have the MS Access database program on it if i were to buy it. (That would be the main reason for me to get a PC rather than a Mac) I'd pay a little more to have it put on.

He said no problem -- he had someone who could do that. Well, as it turned out, his guy not only put MS Access on it, but altogether replaced XP with Windows 7. I hadn't expected that but it was fine with me.

But now, it turns out that the guy (not the friend from whom I bought the PC) apparently put a bootleg version of Windows 7 on it. I keep getting messages that my Windows isn't valid.

Someone in the IT dept. at my job offered to put a valid copy of Windows on for $140. He said i wouldn't have to get a new version of Office because after he wiped off the bootleg Windows and put on the valid Windows, he could put the Office programs i had back on again.

If it does what he says it will do i am willing to pay that (mild sigh) altho for certain reasons i kind of would prefer to do business with someone else if possible. I definitely want the registered programs on my PC to be valid. How does what he said sound? I am so ignorant when it comes to computer technicalities.

I'd like to get input from more than one trustworthy person on the best way to do this I really want a valid version -- quite simply because i don't want the hassles that having a bootleg version causes.

What is the best way of having valid Windows and valid Office on my PC? Would i be better off going to a computer store. Or what?? ... (This stuff confuses me and i don't want to get burned further) To re-iterate . . . I am so ignorant when it comes to these sorts of computer technicalities. To repeat ... [Help]

[ 25. February 2011, 17:13: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I would go to a store, if I were you, unless you have a high level of confidence in your IT person. I have upgraded operating systems, but never an illegal version to a legal. It should be simple, but I do not know. I would make certain I put a legit version of Access on as well. Windows will, i think, check for the validity of other Microsoft products.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm sorry, but I might need your help again.

1,5 years ago, I bought one of these little HP netbooks. It is running Windows XP.

About a month ago, vertical flickering coloured lines were starting to appear on the right hand side of my screen. Sometimes they're there, sometimes they're not. They seem to mimic the colours that are on the screen at the moment.

Today, the coloured lines decided to join together to a big black band, taking away almost 1/4 of my screen.

Is this a hardware problem, or can it be resolved by doing something with the software? I'm currently in Africa, so I'm afraid servicing the computer is not an option, and I really need it [Help]

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

malik3000: most times when Windows fails the Genuine Validation thing, there's a mechanism to make it legit right there and then by going online and handing MS your $$. It doesn't necessarily require a re-install, it depends on whether it's just a dodgy key that's been used, or a totally cracked version. So that's the good news.

Without wishing to be negative, the bad news is that if he's used an iffy OS, he's probably put an iffy copy of Office on too [Frown]

LeRoc: it sounds like hardware, but it's probably the screen rather than the video card, so if you have access to an external monitor, the machine may still be usable (although obviously not as a particularly portable proposition)

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
Someone in the IT dept. at my job offered to put a valid copy of Windows on for $140. . . . For certain reasons i kind of would prefer to do business with someone else if possible.

And rightly so! Fire him and hire someone who will not exploit his colleagues by charging for favors. It's not as though there are no jobless walking the streets.

(Unless your company has a policy that explicitly does not allow IT staff to troubleshoot employees' personal PCs -- in which case your IT guy is still guilty.)

By any chance does the person you bought the laptop from still have the operating system CDs that came with it -- hopefully a "system restore CD"?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
And rightly so! Fire him and hire someone who will not exploit his colleagues by charging for favors. It's not as though there are no jobless walking the streets.

Um, pardon me and all, but software costs money. A legal copy of Windows 7 costs over $140 if I'm not mistaken. How is selling for $140 something that costs more than that int he store exploitation?

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My computer has begun turning itself off (rather than going to sleep). When I turn it back on, it tells me that Windows did not shut down successfully, but when I tell it to start Windows (7 Home Premium) normally, it works fine. Sometimes (but not every time) Windows offers to search for a solution to the "unexpected problem" but it never seems to find one. I haven't made any changes to power options or anything else. I've run all my anti-malware programs and found nothing. Suggestions? So far it's just a minor annoyance, but it makes me wonder if there's something lurking.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
LeRoc: it sounds like hardware, but it's probably the screen rather than the video card, so if you have access to an external monitor, the machine may still be usable (although obviously not as a particularly portable proposition)

Thanks, I was afraid of that. This doesn't give me much hope either [Frown]

Some sites suggest updating the Video Card Driver. Would it be worthwhile to try this as a last resort? (Not that I know how to do this, but I guess I could find out.)

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks lilBuddha; that was very informative. I unplugged my battery; the web site says that should help it last longer, although I can't store it at 40% because I need to be able to pop the battery in at any time and have the longest possible run time.

If you right-click on the battery icon and open up the Power properties - that will give you a full screen of diagnostics, along with charting on the second tab.

Means you can see what the battery's health is as well.

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good evening Geeks,

This afternoon my laptop screen's backlight stopped working. Everything was dark! After leaving it for a few hours, it is now working again, but not as bright as usual (brightness is set to max).

Can something be done, or is it time for a new laptop (this one has served me faithfully for three and a half years)? If the latter, where's a good place (UK) to buy laptops with Linux pre-installed?

Thanks!

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

You probably have a blown (or about to blow) inverter. I was able to replace one in one of our computers and I'm usually pretty thumby with electronics. It looks like this and is located in your laptop lid, just below the screen proper. you pop the case open around the screen, unplug the inverter, plug the new one in (you might have to unfasten/refasten with a screw), and you're good to go.

They seem to run between $5 and $40 on ebay.

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

quote:
Some sites suggest updating the Video Card Driver. Would it be worthwhile to try this as a last resort? (Not that I know how to do this, but I guess I could find out.)
You could try, but all my instincts and experience are muttering that it would be a straw-clutching exercise serving primarily to hold out false hope. On the other hand, you have nothing to lose!

However, before going to that hassle, blag an external screen to plug it into, even if only for a few minutes. If the problem goes away, it's the physical display. If it stays it might be the driver, but it's more likely the GPU.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How is selling for $140 something that costs more than that int he store exploitation?

I don't read the post to mean he's selling the software. I read it to mean he's selling his services. No one has anything to gain by selling the software -- if it's already been used, it can't be installed elsewhere. If it's a site license, it still can't be installed elsewhere. Legally, anyway.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I thought the point was that by paying $140 he could make what he has legal. Which means it has to be a legit license.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Ah, my dear Mousethief, if everything would happen just as we say it will happen, what a different world it would be!

--------------------

rufiki

Ship's 'shroom
# 11165

- Posted      Profile for rufiki   Email rufiki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You probably have a blown (or about to blow) inverter. I was able to replace one in one of our computers and I'm usually pretty thumby with electronics. It looks like this and is located in your laptop lid, just below the screen proper. you pop the case open around the screen, unplug the inverter, plug the new one in (you might have to unfasten/refasten with a screw), and you're good to go.

They seem to run between $5 and $40 on ebay.

Thanks Mousethief. It's bright again this evening, but when it goes for good I'll know what to look for.
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
If you right-click on the battery icon and open up the Power properties - that will give you a full screen of diagnostics, along with charting on the second tab.

Means you can see what the battery's health is as well.

Alas, that doesn't work here (or I think for MT)

They've buried tbe battery status in the indicator applet, which hides the things that used to be exposed. Right clicking on the battery icon just gives you the option to see settings of the indicator.

I haven't figured a way yet to fix that, but I see that I'm not the only one complaining.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I added the application "gnome-power-statistics" to my Main Menu, and now I can sling percents with the best of 'em. (basso's experience is the same as mine regarding right-clicking on the battery icon)

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rufiki:
Good evening Geeks,

This afternoon my laptop screen's backlight stopped working. Everything was dark! After leaving it for a few hours, it is now working again, but not as bright as usual (brightness is set to max).

Can something be done, or is it time for a new laptop (this one has served me faithfully for three and a half years)? If the latter, where's a good place (UK) to buy laptops with Linux pre-installed?

Thanks!

Linux Emporium have done me well for the last 4 years...

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm attempting to get my PhD thesis ready for potential (doubtful, but never mind) publication. The firs publisher I will be approaching, operate on a camera-ready basis, with quite stricg formatting parameters, different to those of my university. So I am planning to cut and paste the beast into new files, using one of the evil and nasty "master documents" (that cost me so much heartache when they collapsed and chewed up chunks of my thesis in its final year).

I have to do this because the publisher has specific ways to do it that includes chapter headings in the background. To do that I have to have a master document with page breaks and section breaks (a recipe for disaster ...).

So I go to Microsoft Word Help and it says, after telling me to go to Expolorer (which I don't use),
quote:
In Microsoft Windows Explorer, designate a folder that you can use to store your master document and subdocuments.

Yeah, right. Where the bloody hell in Bill Gates Revenge' aka Explorer do you find a thingy called "open a folder" [Help] [Mad] [Help]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sheesh Zappa, get thee to thy nearest community college, find a hungry graphic design student, and beg them to import and format the bloody thing in Adobe InDesign for you. You have no IDEA how much easier it is to work with that program, it won't chew it up and swallow it forever, and your publisher will never know the difference. I'd do it for you if you were this side the globe!

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's tempting to get a ticket - but yeah, that might be an idea (the community college one) ... ta!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:

So I go to Microsoft Word Help and it says, after telling me to go to Expolorer (which I don't use),
quote:
In Microsoft Windows Explorer, designate a folder that you can use to store your master document and subdocuments.

Yeah, right. Where the bloody hell in Bill Gates Revenge' aka Explorer do you find a thingy called "open a folder" [Help] [Mad] [Help]
Ok now slow down.

It has not said what you think it has said. Windows Explorer is not Internet Explorer and unless you are running Linux you have it.

Basically Windows Explorer is the posh name for the files and folders window. Do I need to explain any further. It is saying create an folder for these documents in Windows.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Actually second reply..

The Linux things should be Linux or Mac.

Now some advice from someone who has done a Booklet in Word Document to a Publisher file.

One of the real challenges is going to be getting rid of any formatting you have in Word. I think I eventually took the Word file and bunged it into a text editor and then copy and pasted from a text editor. What ever you do don't try importing a Word document straight into Publisher. It makes a right mess of things.

If it was my I would set up things in Publisher first, including page size, text area and such and headings.

I would work chapter at a time placing each chapter in a separate box, and allowing to overflow onto pages.

When this is done, then set up the page numbering.

However and this is the real pain, Publisher as far as I could find out does not have proper indexing and content systems. I did this is Word and then altered it to take into account the different pagination in Publisher. This may be fine for content but an awful job for indexing.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016