homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am taking an HTML/XHTML/CSS class, and need an editor that isn't too aggressive in supplying help, but will allow me to fiddlefart at my own pace and not "helpfully" insert stuff or force format (such as indentation). On the XP side there is AceHTML which allows you to see how the page will look in various browsers, which istm is an awesome feature. Is there anything analagous on the Linux side?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
So I go to Microsoft Word Help and it says, after telling me to go to Explorer (which I don't use),
quote:
In Microsoft Windows Explorer, designate a folder that you can use to store your master document and subdocuments.

Yeah, right. Where the bloody hell in Bill Gates Revenge' aka Explorer do you find a thingy called "open a folder"
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Ok now slow down. . . . Windows Explorer is not Internet Explorer. . . . Windows Explorer is the posh name for the files and folders window.

On your desktop (or on the start menu) you should see something called My Documents. Double-click that to open it. Then right-click on any blank area of that window, and choose New > Folder. Give it any name you wish.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all the helpful info.

I think my problem may be solved. The friend from whom I bought the computer bought a new computer and had the same guy fix up his computer. I mentioned the problem i'd been having and he said that he had had the same problem with his new computer. He said that it turns out that the guy had just forgotten a step in the setting-up process and took my friends computer back and corrected the problem (at no charge). My friend says his PC does not have that invalid OS message any longer. My friend said that the guy just needs to do the same thing to my computer, and my friend is going to take my PC to him to fix the mistake.

Thus, everything on my PC is apparently legit -- it appears to be a case of unwitting but correctable human error that can be fixed (for no money). Does that sound like a reasonable scenario?

[ 02. March 2011, 20:09: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I read here or somewhere else that it is typical in installing Ubuntu to partition the drive and put the OS on a small partition at the beginning, then the home folder mapped onto a second partition (or, well, a folder in a second partition mapped onto the home folder).

How much room should I leave for the OS part on a 500G drive?

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MT, the *nix way to express that is that you make a second partition which is mounted on /home.

My fairly new Ubuntu system has a total of 6.5 GB, of which 2.5 GB is in my home directory.

I'd say if you give yourself 25 GB, you should be fine.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Thanks, Basso. I did a "properties" on all of the folders in / except home and media and it only found 600MB. Clearly I need to install some more complex software!

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My netbook has a 'system tools' virus - has anyone had dealings with it?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a "Fake AV" variant. A copy of Malwarebytes and some scans in Safe Mode should sort you out.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know of any handy Windows-compatible freeware which can extract the text from a web page (i.e. filter out the html leaving you with just the text, for instance)?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Notepad? It is under Accessories.
Drag select or select all (ctrl c), then paste (ctrl v) into notepad.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doh. That's a great idea right under my nose. Actually WordPad gets just the right combination of formatting and deformatting. Thanks!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can try elinks, a text-mode web browser ported from Unix.

You can open your web page in elinks and then choose File => Save formatted document

to save the contents in text mode.

(I use elinks all the time on Linux; I've never used it on Windows.)

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Mousethief

Re: Hard drive partitions -- If you want to keep it simple you can get along fine with three partitions:

/ -- anywhere between 7-20GB for 'root' will do fine. The root partition where all the system files go (mine currently has 4.5GB of used space, but I think Ubuntu uses a good bit more than that, so maybe a safe min. would be 12GB).

/swap -- to support the RAM memory; I always go for 1GB, but if you have much more actual RAM than that the swap partition will probably see little use.

/home -- the rest of the hard drive, or a separate drive, and where all your stuff is kept.

If you want something a little more sophisticated there's plenty to argue over but FWIW here is a possible arrangement:

/boot -- 80MB, where the GRUB bootloader files hang out.

/swap -- 1GB

/ 15GB for root.

(the above are all Primary partitions (used to be, maybe still is, that only four primary parts per disk); the rest of the disk is taken up by an Extended partition, subdivided in this case into two Logical partitions)

/var -- containing 'variable' files used by the system: logs, spools, etc. The reason for separating from the / partition is that /var is the one most likely to suffer with a runaway process or otherwise get filled up with 'garbage' and stop working, but root '/' will still function while you rescue the situation---has never happened to me.

/home

You could also experiment with 'Logical Volume Management' (LVM), which effectively virtualizes the partition structure allowing partitions to automatically grow/shrink as required.

Yet another area of computing to get lost in. Prob. best just to keep it simple, unless you're fascinated!

Cheers.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm thinking just 3: a boot/root, a home, and one for my virtual Windows.

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just out of curiosity, what do folks think of Open Office? Does anyone here have experience with it?

[ 06. March 2011, 19:15: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes - I am using Open Office on Linux / Ubuntu. It depends on what you want it for - most of what I do has to be compatible with Windows so I can't use the bells and whistles on Open Office because I lose a lot of them on saving to Windows format, and I've needed whatever I'm doing so end up playing safe.

What did you want to use OpenOffice for?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I just installed the (paid for) Avast Security software with the firewall. It doesn't seem to matter what setting I choose for the firewall I.e. "Home", "Work" or even "Public", it makes no difference; the "Shields Up!" firewall test site returns just the same configuration I had before the firewall was installed; a majority of closed ports, a handful of stealth ones and one open one.

I had hoped for better as even the free version of Zone Alarm used to stealth the lot. The Avast status report says the firewall's on, but I'm clearly missing something here. Is it possible to stealth them and close the open port, and if so how?

[ 06. March 2011, 21:28: Message edited by: Ariel ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
Just out of curiosity, what do folks think of Open Office? Does anyone here have experience with it?

The version that ships with Ubuntu 10.04 is buggy as all Hell. I had to uninstall it and reinstall it from the OpenOffice website (sorry Alex!). Otherwise every time I did a search, it would shut down and then when I reopened it, it went through a whole elaborate "document recovery" thing. Most annoying.

ETA: The version I got from the OO site works perfectly.

There are a lot of keyboard shortcuts you have to unlearn and relearn, particularly in the spreadsheet, but the spreadsheet also has a few features that are far superior. One of my favorites: the cell width and height are given in actual INCHES, not the whatever-it-is units that Excel uses.

[ 06. March 2011, 22:50: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've been using the Windows version for years, and am totally satisfied with it. It's not quite as flexible as Wordperfect, but it's better than Microsoft Office (in part because it is designed to convert easily to other formats, something the Evil Empire designs its software to defeat). And it's free.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
What did you want to use OpenOffice for?

I would especially be interested in their database management system. How would OO's compare with MS Access --with which i use a fair bit.

--------------------
God = love.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel

I have just checked this. It is a two stage settings for Home, Work and Office if you scroll down you will find a security level bar. That you can move. You can set that so in different levels you have different setting. So for instance for home you could have it on the lowest, then when it recognised a network as home it would be at the lowest security level. Similarly you could set public to highest.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Jengie; I've been doing this but it doesn't make any difference whatever setting it's on.
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel

My reading of the bottom censor is that at its lowest and middle setting if you have not got any program rules they are effectively the same.

The top security setting should stop a number of things from working but this is a small portion of your internet traffic.

Jengie

[ 07. March 2011, 08:26: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

So basically I can't expect it to stealth anything and the ports that are open will remain so even on the High setting?

Ah well. I suppose at least it's there.

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Microsoft Word question:

"smart tags" have apparently been discontinued in Word 2010. With them, the option of switching them off seems to have disappeared too.

Can anybody tell me if there's a way I can display older Word documents in Word 2010 with this option switched off?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I use it on a Mac to read documents that originated on Windows. It works. Spreadsheet and word processor both do what they are supposed to.

It does not always format Word documents the way the original was meant to be - but then neither do different versions of Word. When our vicar or parish administrator send me copies of the latest newsletter or service sheet and I look at them in Word on my PC, they rarely fit on the page the same way the printed copy does.

Open Office is a little slow - but so is Word. I rarely use it to originate documents and never to do anything clever - but neither do I use Word or Excel to do that, I nearly aways start with plain text anyway and only paste things into word processors as a preliminary to printing them.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Ariel

It does make a difference, I notice that with what I can do when I am on a public network as opposed to my home one, only I am not sure how.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
When our vicar or parish administrator send me copies of the latest newsletter or service sheet and I look at them in Word on my PC, they rarely fit on the page the same way the printed copy does.

That may be due to screen fonts vs. printer fonts. What you see isn't always what you get.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fascinating ... for several months now, as my 5 year old Acer Something or Other was showing signs of terminal mortality, I have been running an external hard drive, happily backing up my every bumscratch, tittle and jot.

I now have a shiny new Acer Something or Other Else, and I thought, oooh goody,I shall open up my external hard drive (not, you understand, with a screwdriver but you know, the normal computery way ..) and download all those shine files onto the new 'puter.

The folders, I had long since discovered, had catchy names like r196169141649hdofhgoh99aregu575y9569. But in each thus-named file were all my folders. With normal names. Like Zappa's Blockbusting Novel That Will Save The World and things.

Every folder was empty.

Months of peace of mind, and nothing lost. But wtf?

[ 11. March 2011, 16:11: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
When our vicar or parish administrator send me copies of the latest newsletter or service sheet and I look at them in Word on my PC, they rarely fit on the page the same way the printed copy does.

That may be due to screen fonts vs. printer fonts. What you see isn't always what you get.
I'm sure it is. But they don't understand that [Frown]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a moment of altruism, I seem to have accepted a mission to help a church musician choose a computer. This is not just a new computer, it's a *first computer ever*. I'm OK on computers and day-to-day software but a musical ignoramus. Does anyone have any tips, especially if there are programs classical musicians might use that are only available on Macs, or PCs, not both? I'm guessing we're looking more at writing sheet music or perhaps inputting from an electronic keyboard, but not major amounts of mixing. Thanks!

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha! Welcome to platform wars!

First thing to do is find out exactly what they want to use the computer for, in musical terms. Out of the box, Macs will come with more music-related tools than a PC, but chances are if they want to produce notation then they'll need to acquire a 3rd party package either way.

Second thing to do is find out if they're already familiar with any particular notation/composition package, or have a strong views either way. Also, find out if they move in any circles where others are already clueful on this stuff.

My view is that you can achieve good results on either platform, so it doesn't really matter too much. However, what you're going to need/want is going to vary hugely depending on whether the main use will be to produce notation, or to actually compose, arrange and produce recorded music etc. etc. Most of the big name packages are available for both Mac and PC; there are some fairly cheap but competent notation packages for the PC, as well as the megabucks ones; not so sure for the Mac.

AIUI "the industry" is still fairly Mac-centric, at least when it comes to recording/mixing stuff, although according to friends in the know, if you know what you're doing it's swings and roundabouts, and inertia/history has a lot to do with it.

Finally, if your friend DOES have strong views, and really, really wants a Mac, but you reckon they'd be better off with a PC ... let them get a Mac. Otherwise everything in the world will be your fault, they'll never be happy, and in 12 months they'll go and get a Mac and never cease to tell you how great it is, even if in practice it's just as problematic for them. Note that you can completely reverse the platforms in that statement and it will still be true.

We kid ourselves that these decisions are rational, head-based choices based on what will do the best job; in reality for most of us they're largely emotional choices, and unless some really gets it wrong, they'll be happier (and thus more productive) with an objectively inferior option that matches their preconceptions, than with a superior one they've never quite bought into.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think people who are very visual do well on the mac os - whereas those of us who are quite verbal and like words and text and lists do better with windows.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

Joan, is your friend working at a particular parish? If so, get whatever the parish is using.
You can offload some of the tech support on the other people at the parish office.

The music director at my parish uses a Mac. I can ask her for input if you'd like.

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
I think people who are very visual do well on the mac os - whereas those of us who are quite verbal and like words and text and lists do better with windows.

Uh, what? Both OS have gradually shifted from being text-centric to being more "pretty". I'd guess that a brand new computer would have either OS X or Windows 7 - both of which are highly "pretty" environments. Seems to me it more a matter of what you're familiar with, and how much of a snob you are.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Windows 7 is still significantly "listy" though I grant you I have not seen the latest Mac OS. But it is a noticeable difference on the Iphone, for example.

You need to be quite spatially aware to be comfortable navigating through it. I'm not and find it hugely irritating and cumbersome.

The correlation is something I have observed over time with the users of the two systems. I am vaguely thinking of developing an OS recommender question sheet. In Linux the problem is largely sorted, by being able to have different kinds of gui depending on the distro or level of tweaking you're prepared to do.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

With Office 2010 they took all my lovely lists and words away and replaced them with hard-to-distinguish icons on that damnable "ribbon". Why does Microsoft think that their customer base wants to learn a whole new way to interact with their computers every 5 years? A classmate who worked at Microsoft at the time the "ribbon" was being developed said that they purposely did not have any input from outside the company on its development. That seems unlikely but you wouldn't know it from using the damned thing.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
Seems to me it more a matter of what you're familiar with, and how much of a snob you are.

Something along the lines of insult Apple to a Mac user and you are starting a fight. Insult Microsoft to a Windows user and you are starting a discussion.
IMO, there is no significant usability argument for one over the other for most people starting from scratch.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Zappa,

Did you receive a newer OS with the new computer? Perhaps it is a file system issue.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Something along the lines of insult Apple to a Mac user and you are starting a fight. Insult Microsoft to a Windows user and you are starting a discussion.

This is because Microsoft is a business, and Apple is a religion.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

I know of one package where the ribbon really is a step forward. Contextually sensitive lists were driving me beserk, basically because it was dead easy to change context without realising it. Now you set the context by changing the ribbon! It is clear when it happens and it makes a sensible guess at which part of the window you are working in.

No this program was not developed by Microsoft.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I know of one package where the ribbon really is a step forward. Contextually sensitive lists were driving me beserk, basically because it was dead easy to change context without realising it. Now you set the context by changing the ribbon!

Yes well the answer to that is easy. Have the full list and grey out the ones not currently applicable. I believe earlier versions of Office did that; then they went to hiding stuff, which meant that if you weren't sure where something was, you could never find out by opening a couple of menus.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Nope

That is what it was like, it was horrible. I want to pull in a new piece of data in the database, so I go to the data menu open it up, Oh no the option to import new data is greyed out. Why is it grey out? Oh I know I have just navigated to where it should be imported the window is even showing the rest of the files in that place but as I have not clicked on that window it will not import.

[brick wall] [brick wall] [brick wall]

Repeat ad nauseum.

In the end I stopped using the menus and icons at the top and used right click menus it was so bad.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Oh I know I have just navigated to where it should be imported the window is even showing the rest of the files in that place but as I have not clicked on that window it will not import.

I cannot parse this sentence for the life of me.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Try again, hopefully more complis mentis

I would navigate to where I know in the menus the option to import new data into the programme. It would be greyed out. This despite I clearly had the part of the database where I wanted to put it visible. In this program data is imported into directory style trees, so I had the folder open.

Then I would realise I had not clicked on the folder, only opened it. click on it and nothing would seem to happen until I went back to the menus when it would not be greyed out.

repeat ad nauseum for almost every single task.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Forgive me if this question is too technical, but I really need help with this problem and I'm hoping there's a Shipmate out there with the requisite knowledge.

At the little part-time job I have in retirement, they have one particular application that is essential to their business. It's what used to be called an "ill-behaved application" -- it writes directly to the hardware rather than going through the operating system. It's designed to run under Windows 98 or Windows 2000 and it displays two separate images on two monitors, one on an 8-bit monochrome video card and the other on a 16-bit VGA color card. Because it's "ill-behaved", it writes directly to the memory addresses used by these cards.

Question: We want to port this application over to a Windows XP computer running two VGA monitors. However, in that environment, the application will display only the output that would ordinarily go to the 8-bit monochrome monitor. It will not display the output for the 16-bit VGA monitor. Can anyone think of a way around this?

I realize the above is quite technical, and I'm not sure I can provide further information on how the application actually works. Needless to say, the vendor no longer supports it and cannot give us any help.

Thanks.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Absurdly small parts that matter so much:

Whilst trying to replace RAM that sits under my keyboard (laptop), I managed to break a little plastic clip that holds the keyboard ribbon cable into its jack on the mboard. The guy at the computer store was able to smoosh it into place using what little bit of the pin there was left, but it's a time bomb waiting to come undone with the next bump.

Is there any way to get another one of these little clips short of buying an "as-is" of the whole machine on eBay?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

MT,

I do not think those clips are readily available. Your laptop is relatively new, yes? Could try calling the manufacturer. I would suggest attempting to glue the part, but that is generally not successful given the small surface area and relatively high stress of said parts.I would suggest something like this, just not sure of the temperature stability.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure I've asked this before some time ago so apologies for asking it again:

I have a desktop PC running Windows XP and a laptop running Vista. I think it is now time I updated them both to Windows 7. Will I have to buy two separate copies of Windows 7 or can I buy one copy and instal on both?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Two separate copies. Else Bill Gates will be knocking on your door.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016