homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Two separate copies. Else Bill Gates will be knocking on your door.

I was afraid of that!

[Frown]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The good news maybe that it will only be 50% more expensive to buy Three upgrades than one copy

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, according to my computer it's NEVER safe to remove my external hard drive. Which seems very unlikely. Is there something I don't realize? Anything I can do?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MT, remind me of how that drive is set up? USB?
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, USB.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay. It should appear on your desktop, and you should be able to right-click on the icon and select 'eject'.

If the icon softly and silently vanishes away, it's cool to unplug it. If not, what message to you get?

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

"Eject" is not one of the options; only "Safely Remove Drive." However when I clicked it, it worked.

So is that the secret, I have to click it from the desktop rather than from within Nautilus? That's easy enough.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Okay here's one that's stumped me. I have only been able to find one online document that really addresses it, and it contains a big dose of "we're not really sure." It's interesting because the same question and non-answer are repeated on several different sites word-for-word.

Does an LCD or plasma monitor scan like CRT? A TV of course fires different spots on the screen in sequence, starting at the top left and moving to the right, then dropping down a row and starting at the left again, until the entire screen has been shot, then it starts again at the upper left.

Does the LCD do this? It seems you couldn't fire all the pixels at once; it would take an impossible amount of throughput from the video card to the screen; you'd need three bits of data per pixel, times the number of pixels on the screen, all presented to the screen controller at the same time.

--------------------

Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Topic: retrofitting wi-fi connection

I have acquired an elderly Mac laptop (iBook G3 Dual USB; OSX 10.3) which does not include an Airport card. I am looking at 3 choices of USB wireless adapters:
  • Two made specifically for Macs, one by BearExtender which has an external antenna & one by AftertheMac.com which doesn't
  • One which is supposed to support both Macs & PC's, with antenna, by C.Crane
Prices range $40-$60 (US)

So, anyone have experiences with such devices? Any suggestions on how I should choose? Any other product I should look at? Does the external antenna help a lot?

Thanks in advance /Joan

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief: no, TTBOMK LCD screens don't scan - it's why "refresh rate" no longer has meaning, and response time become the new sexy metric.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

So how do they work? It can't possibly operate every pixel simultaneously. There's just not enough bandwidth to enable that kind of throughput of data.

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, I think I've been misleading. Although all the pixels are addressable individually, AIUI they don't all get addressed simultaneously. However, because of the way the tech works, the pixels effectively hold state, so you don't get refresh flicker etc.

So they don't 'scan' in the sense that a CRT does, to ping the light on to the screen, but the system does whiz through the matrix changing state as appropriate.

Someone who actually understands the electronics will probably be along to do a better job of that and show me up for the ignoramus I am, shortly.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Figured it out. The Repository of All Knowledge and Wisdom to the rescue!

They both scan, but as you say, with the LCD, the pixel stays on until the refresh, whereas with the CRT, it starts to fade.

Also CRT has noticeable flicker (called twittering) because the scan is interlaced. This means for a 24-frames-per-second video, it will actually show 48 frames per second, but in pairs of two where the two are "really" the same picture, but the first of the two is all the odd lines and the second all the even lines. This (called interlaced scan) was invented in the early 1930s and supplanted the earlier progressive scan (each line in order, only 24 refreshes per second for 24fps video). (Actually the refresh rate was tied to the AC power frequency, 50 in Yurp and 60 in North America.)

So, yes, Virgina, it does scan. But it doesn't flicker.

--------------------

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan Rasch:
Topic: retrofitting wi-fi connection

I have acquired an elderly Mac laptop (iBook G3 Dual USB; OSX 10.3) which does not include an Airport card. I am looking at 3 choices of USB wireless adapters:
  • Two made specifically for Macs, one by BearExtender which has an external antenna & one by AftertheMac.com which doesn't
  • One which is supposed to support both Macs & PC's, with antenna, by C.Crane

Prices range $40-$60 (US)

Thanks in advance /Joan

Ah - aftermarket wireless cards for Macs. Some aftermarket wireless cards have native Airport support, meaning the Mac software runs the wireless adapter without needing an extra third-party application to activate and manage the wireless connection.

I can't remember whether that particular model of Mac laptop has an internal slot for an older style Airport card. If it does, then getting a secondhand original Airport card can be a good option if you don't want any USB dongles sticking out of your computer.

[ 17. March 2011, 07:43: Message edited by: aj ]

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Why does my System Monitor show both CPU's working when I only have a 32-bit operating system?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While the OS needs to be written to address multi-processor systems*, it does not matter if they are 32-bit or 64-bit. Memory is an issue. A 32-bit system can only address 4 gigabytes while a 64-bit system can address much more. How much more depends upon the limits built into the CPU and the OS.

* not a Linux person, but I cannot but believe the current versions support at least dual core.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Well there's supposedly a 32-bit kernel (i686) and a 64-bit kernel (i64) of Ubuntu. It's confusing and I'm not really willing to do a lot of heavy research. Thanks for answering [Smile]

--------------------

Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's as lilBuddha says: current Linux kernels will use as many cores as are available and needed; the main difference between 32 and 64bit systems is the way they handle 'memory', particularly the amount of RAM they can address. 32bit systems (whether Linux or Windows), can only address up to 4GB of RAM. If you have more than that it will be invisible to a 32 bit OS, and to a 32bit CPU.

For example, the AMD64bit CPUs can handle vastly more physical memory: 4PB (4,000 terabytes), I believe.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question. I want to buy a netbook that is lightweight and has a good resolution (so it doesn't hurt my eyes to read) and which has Windows on it. And decent memory and battery life, and not too expensive. I don't know a lot about technical stuff. Can anyone recommend a good brand?
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fineline, have a look at:

http://tinyurl.com/6hqheo4

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fineline
Shipmate
# 12143

- Posted      Profile for Fineline   Email Fineline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Alisdair.
Posts: 2375 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An international charitable organisation I belong to already has a modest website but would like to do more, such as:
  • a “members only” moderated website discussion forum (what's one of them?), together with a way of managing emails to supporters, such as country-specific mailings and particular interest sub-groups
  • The ability for supporters to upload and share documents and images.
  • Secure encryption and storage for membership and other sensitive information (I personally wonder if this is desirable, let alone necessary)
  • Integration with the main website via embedded pages, widgets or links, and, maybe...
  • Automated emails (RSS feed?)to alert supporters to changes on the website.
  • The ability to hold customised information about supporters (e.g. to allow them to record particular interests or skills).
  • A calendar of forthcoming events.
  • The ability to share the administration load
Obviously cost is an issue, and level of technical expertise is a big issue – our website (Wordpress) was set up for us and the people who currently edit it have minimal tecchie knowledge. Options being considered are Professional collaboration software: (Why?) and..
  • Wordpress extensions/ plug-ins to current website – a confusing number and variety seem to be available
  • Buddypress (extensions to the current website) and....
  • Various Facebook Causes; Google Groups; Yahoo! Groups; GroupSpaces; BigTent ; Ning; Amazee; SocialGO; Spruz; Memberhub.Some of these have varying free/ cheap/ expensive options

Has anybody got any advice or comments to offer? We are quite modest in size, I suspect – a handful of paid staff coordinating work on the ground, probably less than 50 people (amateurs) involved running the national groups; maybe a few hundred supporters – though I suppose the hope is we will grow, but it's never likely to have mass appeal.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any experts here on networked external hard drives?

I have a Buffalo Linkstation networked hard drive, which we got a year or so ago to store photos on, and access from the various computers around the house.

I'm having trouble accessing the hard drive from Windows. It used to be browsable from a Windows XP laptop that we used to have, but we replaced that laptop last year with a newer WinXP laptop.

The unit comes with a setup utility (NAS Navigator), which tries to install and then stops because it can't see the Linkstation connected. There seems to be no trace of it in any of the network places in Windows Exploter.

I can enter the unit's IP address and navigate directly to its web-based setup without any trouble, and everything looks quite in order. I just can't get to a point of browsing the drive from Windows Explorer, in WinXP or another laptop running Windows 7.

I also have a [recent] Mac, and that sees the drive immediately in the Finder, mounts it as a shared networked drive, and allows me to browse it without issue. We got the drive to browse and manage photos from all computers in the house, hence the desire for a networked solution.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aj:
I can enter the unit's IP address and navigate directly to its web-based setup without any trouble, and everything looks quite in order. I just can't get to a point of browsing the drive from Windows Explorer, in WinXP or another laptop running Windows 7.

I also have a [recent] Mac, and that sees the drive immediately in the Finder, mounts it as a shared networked drive, and allows me to browse it without issue. We got the drive to browse and manage photos from all computers in the house, hence the desire for a networked solution.

That sounds to me like a domain problem. Windows normally sends the computer name to networks as well as the username - e.g. if your computer was called Ship and username was Fools it would try to login to the network drive as Ship\Fools. Try adding a backslash (\) before your username in the 'credentials' box, i.e. \username.

If that doesn't work directly, try using the 'Map Network Drive' option to set up a permanent link, again using \username.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is truly geeky, but if you know the IP address of the server you might get some helpful information out of some windows command line programs:

if the IP address is, say 10.11.12.13, then:

nbtstat -A 10.11.12.13

would tell you what windows domain it thinks it is in and what its windows machine name is

net view 10.11.12.13

would tell you what shared resources it is advertising to the domain

something like

net use * \\computername\diskname

will attempt to connect to the disk share "diskname" on server "computername" and give a more detailed error message than letting Windows do it automatically. That might not be more helpful of course! (you can use IP addresses there as well)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

Thanks for the input, guys.

And there I was naively thinking that Windows stuff worked out of the box

Ken - I deal with a bit of command line stuff in my work so will try communing with the Linkstation and see what information I can glean.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aj:

[Killing me]

That's why its worth spending an extra 200 quid on a Mac (if you can afford it)

--------------------
Ken

Snags
# 15351

Slightly less geeky than nbtstat bits on the XP box not seeing the external drive by name, rather than IP include:

- firewall settings: if you have a software firewall it may be blocking NetBIOS traffic (local name resolution in the absence of a DNS server)

- browse master issues: the XP box might be fighting another box to be the "Browse Master" in the absence of a server that forces the issue by virtue of having the biggest stick in the playground. Unfortunately Browse Master fixes tend to involve messing around with low level network bits like nbtstat ...

As to the idea that the extra money on a Mac leads to a pain-free life, well ... you wouldn't say that if you'd had to sort out some of the Mac networks I've seen [Frown]

Computers, just say no; they're all a snare and a delusion.

--------------------

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aj:
I deal with a bit of command line stuff in my work so will try communing with the Linkstation and see what information I can glean.

Thinking a bit more about this, your Mac will confirm the network share name - it should be the same as whatever shows up in the Finder sidebar.

Another possible problem is following up something Ken posted - XP Home defaults to MSHOME as the network workgroup, but XP Pro and Windows 7 default to WORKGROUP. The name should be consistent throughout your various devices.

One final thing to try on Windows 7 is to put your PC in the 'Work' location, not 'Home'. That setting is more flexible in allowing connections across your LAN.

--------------------

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
As to the idea that the extra money on a Mac leads to a pain-free life, well ... you wouldn't say that if you'd had to sort out some of the Mac networks I've seen [Frown]

A Mac is easy and trouble-free, except when it isn't.
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
Computers, just say no; they're all a snare and a delusion.

[Overused]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I asked about OpenOffice up-thread a while ago, but my question concerns a more specific and multifaceted problem, concerning database software -- MS Access 2007 and its open-source counterpart Base. Adding to my confusion is that Base is now available on LibreOffice in addition to the original OpenOffice. And above all i am so non-technically oriented that this post probably has more computer jargon in than any post i've posted to date.

To give an idea of what i need db software for, I have used MS Access for years to make databases, principally of an inventory or a bibliographic nature, not for databases that are constantly changing like the kind of dbs needed by businesses that sell products and which are constantly changing and need to be used to generate a constant stream of reports.

I find that MS Access 2007, or now MS Office Access 2007, is so different from previous versions that it's like i basically have to learn a radically different system. That could be good except that the new version seems to totally ignore database uses such as my needs. It seems totally directed to the needs of large commercial organizations that are selling lots of stuff. I definitely have no problem with the latter use at all, just with the apparent total doing away with any consideration of needs other than that.

So question #1 - am i overreacting and can Access'07 serve my needs without a huuuge amount of relearning? I love to learn new things, but give me a break.

So i thought about OpenOffice, whose dbms is Base. I like the concept of open-source software anyway and had thought about downloading it anyway. If Base can give me what i want that would be great.

But now i hear about LibreOffice, which is an almost identical "fork" off of OpenOffice, and which also has Base. LO was started by a bunch of OpenOffice folks who see Oracle being less helpful to OpenOffice than Sun (which was bought out by Oracle, Sun having had a big role in starting OpenOffice.) In my internet research alot of folks say LibreOffice will end up replacing OpenOffice.

I read that Base in its LibreOffice version is almost identical but the LO version requires download an SQL program of some sort. That's the kind of piddling little tech stuff i don't want to have to mess with. I just want a relational dbms with a non-techie-friendly user interface that is ready to use without additional nitpicking and farting around.

So question #2 - am i wishing for something that ain't happening -- or in other words, am i screwed? I asked about OpenOffice earlier in this thread, but i'm especially interested in Base. Does any one know about Base in either LO or OO version? If i choose the wrong version will i end up with a database will end up incompatible to everyone else, depending on which way the OOo-LO flap goes?

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldn't you be better off using Endnote for bibliographies ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have looked at the OpenOffice version of database to open a Micro$oft database and couldn't do it immediately. In theory you can. I haven't had the real need to devote computer fiddle time to that, instead of say the website I maintain, to work out how to use it. Which basically says, it's not that straightforward.

You can immediately open spreadsheets and word documents using OpenOffice

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
Wouldn't you be better off using Endnote for bibliographies ?

Not really bibliographies. I just meant a type of db that is not the kind that Access 2007 seems geared to. Perhaps "catalogue-like" rather than "bibliographic-like" (i'm starting to get into library/info sciences jargon now)

One of the uses planned is to catalogue/inventory a bunch of stuff, from books to dvds to assorted online documents and files.

And thanks "curiosity killed" for taking fiddle time to check this out! [Big Grin]

--------------------
God = love.

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Endnote would do that.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
I read that Base in its LibreOffice version is almost identical but the LO version requires download an SQL program of some sort. That's the kind of piddling little tech stuff i don't want to have to mess with. I just want a relational dbms with a non-techie-friendly user interface that is ready to use without additional nitpicking and farting around.

Pretty much any relational database system will have a SQL engine running in the background, including Access, OpenOffice and LibreOffice. OO and LO use HSQLDB as the core engine, but most of the time you don't need to know that as the dialog boxes and wizards take care of the techy bits.

It's worth learning at least the basics of SQL though, especially when writing queries as there are some things (like UNION queries where you have several tables to query) that are pretty simple to code in SQL but look horrendous in a graphical interface!

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

Actually, non-techie that i proclaim myself to be, i have a wee bit of experience using SQL in Access and it didn't discombobulate me. I found it quite intuitive with its quasi-natural language. Learning more about it is already on my "to-learn" list.

[ 22. March 2011, 17:38: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

I'd second that! I found the old Access visual interface was easier to use than Excel, and linemode SQL easier to use than Access. It was just simpler.

--------------------
Ken

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by aj:

[Killing me]

That's why its worth spending an extra 200 quid on a Mac (if you can afford it)

Why do you think I'm typing this from my trusty, secondhand c.2008 MacBook Pro? [Smile]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know if it is possible to put a password on a specific folder in Windows Explorer? I have a friend coming to stay for a few days, I am happy to let him use my PC for email and the internet etc, but I do have personal stuff in my folders I would rather he didn;t see!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

You might be able to do something by setting up a guest user profile.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Sparrow,

Windows does not seem to easily allow this without 3rd party software.
If your friend snoops, I would recommend you do this.
Think's suggestion will work if he is not.

[ 23. March 2011, 20:35: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Arrgh,

Firefox 4 has gone to the ribbon interface. Not really that bad in this case.
However, the new install changed some defaults, namely the remember password is set to yes as a default.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

quote:
Arrgh,

Firefox 4 has gone to the ribbon interface.

How so? I'm using FF4 and it's not that different visually, except for the status bar, and tabs moving to above the address bar, both of which I'm gradually getting used to.

[ 24. March 2011, 17:39: Message edited by: Mr. Spouse ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I interpreted the "Firefox Button" as a ribbon interface since similar buttons appear in various programs I use which do have ribbon interfaces. After enabling the menu bar, I see that I was incorrect.
I do not actually have any issues with the concept of ribbons. Some of the implementations, however...

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Spouse:
I'm using FF4 and it's not that different visually, except for the status bar, and tabs moving to above the address bar, both of which I'm gradually getting used to.

I wish I could get used to it. I keep losing my tabs. Oh. There they are!!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

Try right-clicking one of the toolbars. I think there's a menu choice there somewhere to move them around.
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Try right-clicking one of the toolbars. I think there's a menu choice there somewhere to move them around.

Yes there is. What's weird is I got the button by default on Win7 and the toolbar by default on XP.

Most annoying feature (until I get used to it): "open link in a new tab" is now the top option, not the second one. Which means I keep opening the link in a new window [Mad]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I interpreted the "Firefox Button" as a ribbon interface since similar buttons appear in various programs I use which do have ribbon interfaces. After enabling the menu bar, I see that I was incorrect.
I do not actually have any issues with the concept of ribbons. Some of the implementations, however...

Please could you explain (preferably with examples) what you mean by a ribbon interface. Its not a term I have encountered before. Just curious. (And trying to decide whether to install the latest Firefox)

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ribbon interface (to me) means that the different main menu options are arranged in tabs across the top of the screen. Find someone with Word 2007 or 2010 and you will get an idea of what it looks like. It can be annoying until you get used to it, because you have to change tabs to get to lower menu options.

FF4 doesn't really seem to do this (at least not for me). For my money, go ahead and install it. You can tweak it so it's little different from FF3x.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016