homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  13  14  15 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Geek Revival: the computing thread
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
aj's issue sounds a bit like mine from a page or so back.
I still haven't got round to trying to connect the network drive directly using a cable, instead of using the wireless router.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Please could you explain (preferably with examples) what you mean by a ribbon interface. Its not a term I have encountered before. Just curious. (And trying to decide whether to install the latest Firefox)

In a ribbon interface, what appears to be a menu across the top are actually tabs. When selected, the tabs display contextual choices in a "ribbon" across the top of the program. Here is a bit more of a description.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Choking up valuable real estate on your screen, and putting things you used to know the location of in bizarre and counterintuitive places. Another sign of Microsoft's disdain of their customers.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sheesh, mousethief, don't EVEN get me started, we'd have to kick this one downstairs! [Mad]

In my small office, I still doggedly cling to my "Perfect" word processor, if you know what I mean. It does what you want and expect it to do, not what IT wants to!

I'll get my coat...

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who deplore 'ribbon interfaces' but who nevertheless find the 'traditional' word-processor siren call to endlessly tweak this and adjust that in the vain attempt to arrive at some kind of consistent (and professional), presentation, and who long for a work environment that encourages them to focus on what they want to say instead of how it looks, AND if you are willing to learn something new, may I suggest an exploration of LyX.

WARNING: LyX is merely a visual 'frontend' to the wonders of LaTeX (lah-tek), a typesetting system, and a fairly substantial download, which will automatically be included if you decide to give LyX a go, i.e. broadband connection highly recommended.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Helpful Firefox 4 tip.

I love tabbed browsing. I will often have several tabs open and, if I am not yet finished with them, leave them active upon closing Firefox. The older versions would ask if I wished to save them. Firefox 4, by default, does not. As I invariably forget what those tabs were, this is an annoyance.This link provides instructions to change the setting, if you so wish.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, lilBuddha! That's been bugging me.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I return in the hope someone may have insight into my ongoing java problem. With exactly the same browser set-up (google chrome) and firewalls etc, I can sometimes get into the ship's cafe and sometimes not - it seems to be random whether I succeed or not.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firefox 4 tabbed browsing tabs restored after restart: Thanks for the workaround, might try that! [Cool]

However, the 'restore previous session with all tabs' feature is still there: --> Go to Menu Bar --> History --> Restore Previous Session, et voila.

I found that when FF used to crash with multiple tabs open, it sometimes tried to automatically restore all of these, even though often one of the tabs was why it crashed in the first place, e.g. due to a non-responding script. So in a sense this, although perhaps silly (I loved the multiple tabs restore feature), is not that unreasonable at all. I noticed that you might get caught in a loop with FF restoring the unresponsive tab as well, and you then having to force-close the whole thing again, etc.

I'll still have to play around with the new 'restore previous session' feature, as I think it will restore your entire previous tabs, but also keep the tabs you've just openend in a new session - should be interesting to see if you thus get the best of both tab worlds combined.

I'd now like to see a feature that restores not just all your tabs, but all your FF windows as well. (The new one on the History drop-down menu might do just that, but haven't tried out that aspect yet.) - I like to have several FF windows open on my 24" monitor, which I can place and move around on the screen, so this would be handy.

FF 4 seems to work quite well for me (XP SP3), but what I find annoying is that the Menu Bar buttons for Reload and Home have been moved to the centre and the right, which means that you've got to race all over the screen if you want to access those, and not use a shortcut or rightclick.

Any other experiences with FF 4? [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't tried FF4 yet, but in FF3 you can choose View > Toolbars > Customize, which lets you add or remove items from the toolbar, and also reorder the items already on a toolbar. Just drag them to the correct place.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goodness - that's embarrassing - thanks muchly, basso! [Cool]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're welcome. Glad to help.

I don't think you should be embarrassed. The UI on that is a little obscure. It's clear that you can add or remove things, but they don't give you any clue at all that they're also letting you fool around with the existing order.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've a hardware question. Ms Molopata spilled coffee on her laptop which stopped working within half a second. (I would have probably done this myself, had it not been that I don't drink coffee. She has unplugged it. Has anyone got advice on how to proceed from here?

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did the coffee contain milk or sugar? If not you may get away with giving it plenty of time to dry out thoroughly. It will probably be helpful to remove the battery. Whatever you do, don't switch it on while there is still moisture in it. Residue containing milk or sugar may cause problems even when dry. Even so, allowing the computer to dry thoroughly may help.

Once it is fully dry you can attempt to restart it. If that doesn't work then you need to take it to a repairer. You may find that the damage is covered by your household contents (or other) insurance.

It is likely that even if the computer is shot you can recover the contents of the hard disk - indeed that may operate perfectly well, and could be transferred into a standalone enclosure like this.

Good luck!

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

- Posted      Profile for molopata     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks BroJames for the advice. Unfortunately, the coffee had milk in it (no sugar). I guess that will screw it, or is there a way to clean it off before I restart (maybe tomorrow)?

--------------------
... The Respectable

Posts: 1718 | From: the abode of my w@ndering mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's probably a goner, but here's what you can try. You don't have much to lose at this point unless you bought some extended warranty plan to cover drops/spills/etc. What I'm about to suggest will likely void the warranty if there is one.

Remove the battery pack.

Get the keyboard out. If you don't know how, find a YouTube video of someone disassembling the same or similar model of laptop as yours. search for terms like "insert laptop make/model here keyboard removal"

Once that's out, you'll see most of the guts of the thing. You'll need to get it clean and dry in every part you can find. Remove protective covers as needed to access all the little areas. Don't forget the little covers on the bottom of the laptop. Those will need to come off too so you can clean.

Use an electronics cleaner on pretty much everything. Disconnect every connector you can find and clean them too. Be careful with those thin ribbon cables. Leave the connections undone so the parts can air dry.

Let the whole thing dry for at least a day. Maybe three. You can assist the process by using a hairdryer on the lowest heat setting.

Put it back together and keep your fingers crossed.

I've had some success bringing them back before. It all depends on what shorted out first.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile turn it upside-down over a towel.

--------------------

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're not up to the disassembly, try Bro. James suggestion first. Give at least 3 days for drying if you're not going to lift the keyboard out. Sometimes you just get lucky.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
If you're not up to the disassembly, try Bro. James suggestion first. Give at least 3 days for drying if you're not going to lift the keyboard out. Sometimes you just get lucky.

I'll go for the full disassembly, and I'll report back on Thursday to let you know how I got on. Thanks for the advice at any rate!
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Meanwhile turn it upside-down over a towel.

Done! [Smile]
BTW, how's the Ubuntu?

[typo]

[ 28. March 2011, 14:46: Message edited by: Molopata The Rebel ]

--------------------
... The Respectable

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Doing well, thanks. I will admit however that I'm cheating. For things I just could not get Linux to do, I created a Windows box in VirtualBox, and run it simultaneously.

--------------------

molopata

The Ship's jack
# 9933

Good to hear that it's generally working out!

As it's an Ubuntu machine that we've just victimised, watch this space to see whether pouring milk coffee on the keyboard has any OS-enhancing benefits!

(disassembly now in progress)

--------------------
... The Respectable

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been the recipient (or victim) of free advice about my computer. I am a rank amateur. I have only a desk top set up, with Vista Home Something or other. I use both Firefox and IE, for different things.

These are the things I've been told I should get:
  • Google Chrome, latest version
  • Comodo internet security (free)
  • DivX HIQ adobe flash improver
Any opinions about these?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am just about computer-illiterate, and I have a question.

My Canon printer is about seven years old; I like it and it works fine. However, I can't buy ink cartridges for it any more.

I have some empty cartridges that I can have refilled. My question is whether there is any quality difference in the various places that do refills. The place that would be most convenient for me is Walgreens.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
I've been the recipient (or victim) of free advice about my computer. I am a rank amateur. I have only a desk top set up, with Vista Home Something or other. I use both Firefox and IE, for different things.

• Google Chrome, latest version
  • Comodo internet security (free)
If you don't have an anti-virus firewall thingy then you need one. Comodo is pretty good. There are others. here for Anti-virus and here for firewalls.

With Chrome, not sure, don't personally like it but that is personal preference, it is another webbrowser, there are plenty out there, it does not mean you need to have them all on your machine.

DivX HIO Flash Improver? don't know anything about it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Jengie. Lots of good info there. My friend was saying that his suggestions were better than what I already have, so I'm not unprotected. I just subscribe to the notion that the enemy you already know is best to stick with [Biased]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:

• [...]
DivX HIQ adobe flash improver is a nice thing to have, but by now means necessary. Interestingly, when I upgraded to Firefox 4 on all machines, it didn't get reinstalled as it wasn't compatible with FF4 (yet). Can't say I miss it right now.

quote:
DivX's little freebie add-on is a bit of a marketing play. The download will come with an optional codec pack and a converter tool. But mostly, as Taylor says, "it identifies and links our brand the highest-quality playback possible."

However, you might consider upgrading to FF4, if you haven't done so. The latest browser versions are generally safer than the previous ones.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
I am just about computer-illiterate, and I have a question.

My Canon printer is about seven years old; I like it and it works fine. However, I can't buy ink cartridges for it any more.

I have some empty cartridges that I can have refilled. My question is whether there is any quality difference in the various places that do refills. The place that would be most convenient for me is Walgreens.

Moo

Afraid can't help you on that one. I currently don't refill. But I'm intrigued that you say you can't get any more new ink catridges. What Canon model is it?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

For browser safety, firefox has nice add ons. My favorite being being no-script. It can be tedious, as some pages run loads of scripts. However this can help prevent malicious programs from infecting your computer.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
But I'm intrigued that you say you can't get any more new ink cartridges. What Canon model is it?

I'm not sure what the model is. It takes #24 cartridges.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo, are these the ones you're looking for?

I've had great luck at that site getting things that were supposed to be discontinued and not available in local stores.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alisdair
Shipmate
# 15837

- Posted      Profile for Alisdair   Email Alisdair   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ Moo, and the Canon cartridges.

In my experience refilling inkjet cartridges is a lottery: sometimes it goes really well, others, really badly; overall I would say that because of the uncertainty of outcome DIY refills are barely worth the bother, but by all means have a go. The combination of cartridge type and type of refill kit may work well for you.

OTOH 're-manufactured' cartridges from third party suppliers (if reputable), are often good value.

And for completeness sake: in my experience refilling laser toner cartridges is very worthwhile, with a low risk of poor results and big savings of money; though for these and inkjet carts. there is something of an arms race between manufacturers and refillers, as the manufacturers try to make life hard for the refillers. Life is never simple.

Posts: 334 | From: Washed up in England | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Doing well, thanks. I will admit however that I'm cheating. For things I just could not get Linux to do, I created a Windows box in VirtualBox, and run it simultaneously.

I have finally worked out how to install WinXP on a laptop (Acer 5720) with a SATA HDD. It now has Vista, WinXP, and a version of Ubuntu on it.
I had thought you might be interested, but I suppose VirtualBox has provided you with a solution.
I will have to investigate VirtualBox sometime.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a D-Link DSL 2680 router (provided by my ISP) and I'd like to restrict internet access by time for certain devices using the router. The idea is that the teenagers' iPods won't be able to access the internet from it after (say) 10.00 p.m. on weekdays. Is this reasonably do-able? Internal communication with (e.g.) the wireless printer needs to remain available, and other devices using the router should still be able to access the internet.

Our previous router (a BT Homehub) had a facility of this kind built in.

I have been Googling, but most of what is available moves rapidly into tech-speak which is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Can this be done? Can a anyone help?

[ 04. April 2011, 12:00: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
I have a D-Link DSL 2680 router (provided by my ISP) and I'd like to restrict internet access by time for certain devices using the router

A quick look at the D-Link website suggests it can't be done with that model, so it looks like you would have to get a different make/model of router if you really need that feature.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a widget - or any strategies - for boosting the signal on a particular wireless network?

We have a network between our two PCs, which are on the same floor, but in different rooms. Looking in my Network and Sharing Centre, I can see 3 other networks, one of which (downstairs neighbour?) is consistently much stronger than my own.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Is there a widget - or any strategies - for boosting the signal on a particular wireless network?

We have a network between our two PCs, which are on the same floor, but in different rooms. Looking in my Network and Sharing Centre, I can see 3 other networks, one of which (downstairs neighbour?) is consistently much stronger than my own.

Some routers have a Wireless Access Point or Wireless Repeater mode... they would be configured to extend comms from your mail router - and use its DHCP table.

Maybe look into one of them?

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Yes. Another site offering methods. Depending on your router, you may be able to purchase longer antenna. There are signal boosters and repeaters which can be purchased, placement. Placement refers not only to proximity; there can be other signal limiting factors, such as wiring, wall construction, etc. Antenna Signal Boosters and repeaters

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

I have an older relative with far flung family (and partially impaired vision). Enjoys occasional Skype calls when visiting family, but 'switching the computer on at home is all too much trouble'. Does anyone have experience of Skype enabled video phones?

Are they easy to use? Very like using an ordinary phone?

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How does one go about buying a domain name? There seem to be a plethora of companies - how does one choose? Are they all reliable?

Also, I'm buying it for a friend who is based overseas. They want a '.com' address - are there any issues there? Do some domain companies only issue those to the country of the purchaser?

Sorry if this is dumb but I've never done this before.

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
How does one go about buying a domain name? There seem to be a plethora of companies - how does one choose? Are they all reliable?

Also, I'm buying it for a friend who is based overseas. They want a '.com' address - are there any issues there? Do some domain companies only issue those to the country of the purchaser?

Sorry if this is dumb but I've never done this before.

Has to how to choose, no idea... I use 1&1, and have never had any issues.

Buying domain names - most companies only sell their own countries and the international TLDs i.e. .com, .org etc. UK dealers have also recently taken to things like .uk.co which is strictly Columbian.

T

Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

- Posted      Profile for Jessie Phillips     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have a D-Link DSL 2680 router (provided by my ISP) and I'd like to restrict internet access by time for certain devices using the router. The idea is that the teenagers' iPods won't be able to access the internet from it after (say) 10.00 p.m. on weekdays. Is this reasonably do-able? Internal communication with (e.g.) the wireless printer needs to remain available, and other devices using the router should still be able to access the internet.

I can't say whether you will be able to restrict certain devices by certain times of day or not - but you should be able to restrict it so that only certain devices can connect at all. That will be called "MAC filtering".

You'll need to set it so that it only allows devices with specific MAC addresses - and then you'll need to find out what all the MAC addresses of each device you want to connect is. This only applies to devices to which you connect by wi-fi; devices which are connected by ethernet are unaffected.

The router configuration options might allow you to set different MAC filtering rules for different times of day - but even if it doesn't, you could run a process on a separate always-on computer that automatically logs into the router configuration and changes it at certain times of day - although I can't pretend I know of any straight-forward ways of doing that. And it won't be much use if it's too easy for teenagers to turn that particular computer off.

Posts: 2244 | From: Home counties, UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

Yes I can use MAC filtering to lock them out altogether, but then they can't access the printer wirelessly either or transfer stuff between computers - both of which are highly desirable. Also there isn't an option to restrict access by time, and we don't have a spare computer which can be run 'always on' to handle this issue.

I think I may need to look at another router.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay my questions are always kindergarten level becasuse I haven't a clue what routing the DfAC3 on the MINFRIB deflooGG in PURAS Ver. 9.3 is, but ...

I have a new Acer. The keyboard doesn't seem to have a few things I'm used to ... and somehow the number touchpad to the right has turned itself into a numeric touchpad, when I want it to do things like Page Up and Home ... my old Acer had a "Number Lock" button* ... where the hell do i make the changes on this new one?

*It has the old "SCR Lk", which i've never used, and which I always thought hosts were referring to shipboard when they used to acuse me of 'playing havioc with their Scroll Lock' or sumsuch with my long alligator words ... [Confused] ... were they? [Confused]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

- Posted      Profile for Jessie Phillips     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes I can use MAC filtering to lock them out altogether, but then they can't access the printer wirelessly either or transfer stuff between computers - both of which are highly desirable. Also there isn't an option to restrict access by time, and we don't have a spare computer which can be run 'always on' to handle this issue.

Aha. Sounds like you might have more luck with the firewall configuration options then.

But the trouble with that is that you have no control over what host names the iPods give themselves, and you probably have no control over what IP addresses your router's DCHP server decides to allocate to them. Maybe if it's possible to configure the DCHP server so that it only allocates specific fixed IP addresses to devices with specific MAC numbers, then you can use the router firewall to configure what devices do and don't have external internet access.

But this is all supposing that they don't have physical access to the router such that they can make an ethernet connection. Even if iPods don't have ethernet (I don't know whether they do or not), your teenagers can just plug another wi-fi access point they've picked up from somewhere into your router by ethernet, and connect their iPods wirelessly to the additional access point instead of directly to your existing router.

Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I have a new Acer.

What's an Acer?

Unless I'm greatly mistaken, Acer is a brand label that gets slapped on quite a large number of different kinds of consumer electronic gadgetry - so an "Acer" really could be anything. Is it a keyboard? Is it a mouse? Is it a mobile phone?

If your "Acer" is a laptop, and you don't like (or can't use) the built-in keyboard, then you can probably plug a separate USB keyboard into it, and use that instead of the built-in keyboard.

If you'd rather not do that, then we'll have to see if we can figure out a model number, I guess, in the hope of narrowing down the possibilities a bit.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Zappa

From googling earlier try hitting the fn (function) key and the scroll lock together and see what happens. Also try alt and scroll lock.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I wonder if anybody has yet computed the millions upon millions of dollars that were lost in productivity as people who used to know how to use the tools of their jobs -- common software applications -- had to re-learn how to use them, with the advent of Microsoft Office 2007? Things that worked for years suddenly didn't work, and normal functions were hidden in weird places, causing people to spend seconds or even minutes looking for them, when before they would have performed that function in a split second. Multiply those unnecessary minutes by 8 hours a day by millions of workers throughout the English-speaking world (well, and many other-speaking worlds as well). Millions of dollars in lost productivity.

Just wondering.

--------------------

Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

quote:
I wonder if anybody has yet computed the millions upon millions of dollars that were lost in productivity as people who used to know how to use the tools of their jobs -- common software applications -- had to re-learn how to use them, with the advent of Microsoft Office 2007? Things that worked for years suddenly didn't work, and normal functions were hidden in weird places, causing people to spend seconds or even minutes looking for them, when before they would have performed that function in a split second. Multiply those unnecessary minutes by 8 hours a day by millions of workers throughout the English-speaking world (well, and many other-speaking worlds as well). Millions of dollars in lost productivity.

Although I can't answer this question directly - what I can suggest is that if you know of any big organisations with IT technical support departments, it's not unlikely that they will have gathered statistics on how many support requests relate to Office 2007.

I suppose this "lost productivity" was good news for 1st-line technical support staff who might otherwise be out of a job. Assuming anyone would actually want to work in a call centre, talking to people who've waited ten minutes to be asked whether they've tried turning it off and back on yet. It's incredible to think that there was once a time when the wages for that kind of work were actually quite good. But not any longer.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Zappa

From googling earlier try hitting the fn (function) key and the scroll lock together and see what happens. Also try alt and scroll lock.

Jengie

Neither of those worked, though a padlock icon momentarily appeared to tell me I'd done something on the first option. I'll use Jessie's option - plug in my rolly-up external plasma key board ("device detected") - oooh - and look - it worked.

Interesting ... the resultant icon is a padlock with a "1" on it ... at any rate thanks, problem fixed.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi,
Any recommendations for software to write web pages on? I'm currently using Notepad (I wanted to understand how to code), but wonder what others use.

--------------------
Less is more ...

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  13  14  15 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016