homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Through the Lens (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Through the Lens
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done indeed!

I agree with lilbuddha's critique, as well.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
thanks everyone.
The next theme is "view from the top of a hill", so I'll have to have a root around in the archives.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I should have asked this earlier! Any tips on photographing fireworks?
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry this is late. And I have rarely got a good firework shot. For next occasion.
Try this link.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, lilBuddha - I did actually find that link yesterday and tried his advice but it didn't work for me. I found by trial and error (halfway through the evening) that it seemed to work better if I used something like ISO 800 and a slowish exposure.

I'll keep on trying. Getting a decent photo of Mars is an ongoing project, as well, though you can focus on that for longer periods so a brighter setting works better here.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Nikon has a fireworks setting, as did the shortlived FujiFilm, but I have no idea of the effect - we had a few fireworks at Diwali but I forgot to try it out - DUH!!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
My Nikon has a fireworks setting, as did the shortlived FujiFilm, but I have no idea of the effect - we had a few fireworks at Diwali but I forgot to try it out - DUH!!

I took the photos in this album using the same setting on my Canon.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Ooh, those are good, Marvin - I'd be very happy to get photos like that. What setting did you say you used?
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lovely shots, Marvin but it does not compare to being there. It pales in comparison. For one thing, there is no sound!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fantastic shots Marvin! Perhaps if you viewed the exif info you could share that with Ariel to give her a starting point?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Ooh, those are good, Marvin - I'd be very happy to get photos like that. What setting did you say you used?

There was a specific setting called "Fireworks" on the camera. But you can get a similar effect by using a longer exposure than usual - as long as you're good (or lucky) enough with your timing!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

So, what new skill have you learned since starting 365? Or in the last year, if you do not do the project.
I'd never done real macro photography prior. It is a challenge for me, the limitations force me to think differently. And the limited DOF can drive me insane as the slightest movement ruins the shot. Progressing though.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

- Posted      Profile for nomadicgrl   Email nomadicgrl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
So, what new skill have you learned since starting 365? Or in the last year, if you do not do the project.
I'd never done real macro photography prior. It is a challenge for me, the limitations force me to think differently. And the limited DOF can drive me insane as the slightest movement ruins the shot. Progressing though.

I'm impressed that you're new to Macro lilBuddha, your shots are great. I think the biggest things the 365 has taught me is to look for new things to shoot I wouldn't normally, and to try shooting from different angles. It's amazing how just shifting the camera or object around can change the whole shot - from perspective to lighting.

--------------------
The care of another,even material, bodily care is spiritual in essence. Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.- Jacques Maritain

Posts: 437 | From: Living in the land of Anne (with an e) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It's Macro a bit with me, too - together with the thing about seeing things differently and seeing potential for a reasonable snap in the ordinary stuff.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by nomadicgrl:
I'm impressed that you're new to Macro lilBuddha, your shots are great.

thank you.
The lenses do much of the work for me, though. I am amazed at people who get amazing macros without speciality lenses.
quote:
Originally posted by nomadicgrl:
I think the biggest things the 365 has taught me is to look for new things to shoot I wouldn't normally,.

My first thought was "me too" then I looked at my project and realized just how much I fall back on flowers.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, I sometimes think I use flowers too much but they are so photogenic! Another one today and there is a little flower in a pot the garden that bloomed last week but I already had a shot for the day and the next day the flower was past its best.

Ho hum.

Taking shots every day is good in some ways but difficult in others Some days my best shot is not as good as yesterday's not so good - I've a way to go to get that bit right.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Some days my best shot is not as good as yesterday's not so good - I've a way to go to get that bit right.

Yes, same here. The other thing I struggle with is the exposure and lighting. I sometimes take pictures with all the individual settings done manually, sometimes they work and sometimes no matter what I try and using what really should work and what has worked before, I simply cannot get them right.

However, I tell myself I'm making progress because 6 months ago I hadn't any idea how to use that side of things at all and relied completely on the presets.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Exposure can be a difficult thing. Our brain sees things differently than film or a sensor. At least with digital, there is immediate feedback. And the ability to switch ISO shot to shot is fantastic.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

On 365, there is a gentleman complaining his shot did not make the Top 20. I have seen variations of this complaint re the Popular Page. Am I the only one to find this a bit conceited?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Hmmmm, perhaps I should start my very own photo website, then I can win a prize every day!

I think arrogant is a better term than conceited - what an ass!

- - - -

Birds are a pain! A Whitebreasted Kingfisher yesterday morning but at 26x zoom and with no time to get the tripod set up so a bit shaky and then a Green Barbet yesterday afternoon that disappeared as soon as I got the camera! The advantage of flowers is that they stay relatively still.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
I think arrogant is a better term than conceited - what an ass!

Well, indeed. How ungrateful.

Experimented with light trails tonight, and FWIW I'm passing on the benefits of my experience to you.

1) Don't try a long slow camera exposure on a wobbly bridge, especially when joggers are pounding past.

2) You won't get good light trails from cyclists.

3) Whenever you think you're about to clinch it, a bus will heave into sight and stop there.

4) Beware of enthusiastic, interested small dogs who want to know what you're doing.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I presume you used a tripod?

I'm looking around for good places to trial this. Have one of the necessities - lots of traffic. Have large hood on lens but there is still possibly too much ambient light in any of the places where I would feel safe by myself at night with an expensive camera.

This feeling is strange. I normally have no worries about walking at night and used to horrify my mum by using train at night when by myself.

Think it's probably coming from son's recent mugging and injury from nasty bashing. And that was broad daylight. [Ultra confused]

[ 16. November 2011, 22:37: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The bigger the vehicle the better - a nice big double decker is the only one I've managed to get to work and I've been trying light trails for a bit. I can't handhold to get decent light trails but I can rest the camera on the bridge or piece of street furniture. The other thing that helped was to point the camera at something dark when you start taking the shot, so that the light trails show up better.

I've also tried taking light trails on one of the bridges over the motorways, but my camera isn't really up to it.

Popular Page on 365 is odd - heavy processing is really favoured (that pseudo Victorian newspaper murder shot has made it).

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I think trains are good for light trails. See this or this, for example.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
this

'fess up. Who owns the red car?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
this

'fess up. Who owns the red car?
No idea. At the time I took that I didn't own any car.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
I presume you used a tripod?

Of course not. I rested the camera on the railing of the bridge, and hadn't counted on the joggers, man walking 3 dogs, etc etc. Night photography and light trails are a project in progress.

I'm putting off bringing the tripod in as I don't feel comfortable using it in public with lots of people around. But I won't be able to get the night pictures I want any other way - and heaven knows I've spent a lot of time trying.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Two suggestions if you don't want to go the full tripod route yet:

first get a bean bag for your camers

second which will give you a slightly different range you might try GorrillaPods.

Both will enable you to get more support without a full tripod. However I suspect not even a full tripod will fix a wobbly bridge, after all I can't see how it will stop the bridge from wobbling. So if stood on the bridge it will wobble too.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Those bean bags look great, Jengie! I think I may get Mrs E to make me something similar.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm really chuffed with myself this morning - I got a whole raft of pictures of the Small Green Barbet that is colonising our dead coconut palm in the back garden. I've posted one of the snaps on 365 here.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Nice shot!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done Welease Woderick for the barbet.

I've got a Gorillapod. It's small enough to slip in a bag, but it's not always that stable to set up, better round a railing or fence post than free-standing, although that's what I used for the water shot. It is reliant on finding something to wind it on to.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Well done Welease Woderick for the barbet.

I've got a Gorillapod. It's small enough to slip in a bag, but it's not always that stable to set up, better round a railing or fence post than free-standing, although that's what I used for the water shot. It is reliant on finding something to wind it on to.

When I bought the 18-270 mm lens recently, I received as a freebie the gorillapod which supports 3 kg. Salesman told me he had been using the gorillapod shooting shots of the harbour for a magazine promo. He found that sometimes the attachment slipped a bit and recommended the use of a ball joint with a quick release plate to help. I've not yet used either so can't comment on efficiency of this.

[ 20. November 2011, 04:43: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Life and work interfering at the moment. I've been trying to put up a few pics but nothing great. Hope to get back into the swing of it soon enough

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Very cool shot, WW!

As to the gorilla pod, mine does not have the ball head and I wish it did. I will be buying one to attach.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

There are times when neither a bean bag nor a Gorillapod would help. One of my ongoing photographic projects is the city at night, and the photos I particularly want to get are taken from an area where there's nothing at all to prop a camera on: if you don't have very steady hands, it's a tripod or nothing.

I probably will have to bring it in but in this day and age of security cameras everywhere, people looking out for suspicious behaviour and strangers apparently doing "filming" (the tripod can be a signal that you're regarded as a pro and about to embark on commercial photography) I can't say I feel comfortable about wandering along and setting up anywhere.

As a result of non-tripod-use I have an interesting photo of one of the more scenic parts of Oxford, which I had intended to be a romantic shot with an old-fashioned street lamp in a cobbled alleyway and a backdrop of a historic building, but which, thanks to the way the lighting came out in the clearest handheld shot I could get, looks deeply sinister and evil.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Funny that. My father walked all round various parts of be world with a tripod and everyone only thought he was a tourist.
Nowadays you get questioned, rules are posted against.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had (or probably still have- I just can't find it) a round beanbag which has a hard top with screw fitting on the bottom of it, so you can attach the camera to the beanbag

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Here is another option. For pocket cameras at least.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I've hit 60% in 365 but haven't posted anything on Flickr since I started - and I've got loads of possibilities for there! I'm a bit busy today and tomorrow but will try to think of it again on Friday, when I may have some free time.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I am only at 53%. Seems both yesterday I started and that I've been on there forever. Kind of like here.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

60% which means I have only 4 months left. I'm not sure I want to launch straight into doing another year of daily photos, but it's become so much a way of life now that I don't want to give up completely – maybe just do something weekly afterwards.

In other news, I took the tripod out after work last night and got some pictures of the city centre. One of the security men from the nearby library was really interested in what I was doing so we had quite a chat about photography, which put me much more at ease – hadn't expected that. All less intimidating than I expected, I feel a lot better about setting up the tripod now.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I'm at 59% but family keeps asking about family group at Flickr which has seen little of me lately. I paid for the ace membership and haven't done anything with it. Then again, I paid to help support the place as I was getting so much from the whole thing. May do a second year with that paid for, but won't put so much pressure on myself to post daily.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I'm now at 61% and not intending to go on to another year - I'm enjoying it, but it's a real commitment to participate, and although I like the discipline of taking daily photos, the odd day off too would be nice. I have learnt so much and keep learning more all the time. Being stretched to try different things is great - but the time off theme this week just made me groan, It's not a week to take time off

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Yes, it is a commitment. I enjoy taking the photos, but it's the sifting through and some of the editing afterwards (and sometimes an amount of head-scratching and "do I want this one or that one") that takes the time. Time in the evenings is limited so I am looking forward to getting some of my evenings back.

Not too impressed with my latest Nikon Coolpix. Maybe I'm just used to the DSLR more now but it seems to be remarkably slow at taking pictures in anything other than sunlight. Turn it sideways to get a "portrait" photo and they come out noticeably a lot darker.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

While I now appreciate my pocket camera to a greater degree, there are some frustrating issues. Chief being looooooooooong shutter lag.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Now Pete has arrived we are walking in early light and late light so I have more opportunity to take shots but am learning to take the pocket camera, in a pocket and not a sling case, on the afternoon walk otherwise it is a constant cry of "photo, uncle?" - they are all cute kids and very pleasant but...

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

There was a discussion some weeks ago about fireworks and photos. This link about a guide to fireworks photography was sent to me this morning. New Years Eve fireworks are on twice in Sydney tomorrow night on harbour. Our roof garden has full view of Bridge so I may try some out if there aren't lots of people up there.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That's a great website, Loth, duly bookmarked. Loads of features and advice.

Thanks.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
That's a great website, Loth, duly bookmarked. Loads of features and advice.

Thanks.

I thought the fireworks article was clear and well written. Haven't explored more on the site yet.
These people are where I bought my DSLR and other bits and pieces and they send very helpful articles from time to time.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016