homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Through the Lens (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Through the Lens
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I got it by signing up for a one day seminar at the local community college (Photoshop for not so newbies, or what have you). That entitles you to the student ID, which gets you the educational discount in their bookstore and sometimes an additional amount off via a nice little coupon in the seminar workbook. Worth a try! Seminar cost 99$. I think I got the whole Creative Suite for another 200.

[ 08. July 2011, 22:21: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Took my nine year old nephew on a photo safari. When we arrived at our destination, I discovered I had forgotten to load the battery in the camera I brought for him. So he used my DSLR. With the lens I had attached, the rig is about 3.5 kg and 30 cm long. It was rather amusing to watch him use the thing. The faces of others passing by were funny as well.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dishonest guy in a shop today told me silly price for a genuine Nikon battery but offered a pattern model for less. I declined and went to proper shop, 15 minutes walk away, and paid about the same price as he wanted for the pattern product for a genuine Nikon model. That's one shop I'll never shop in again.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
oooh - we've sunk to the bottom of the second page - can't be having that!

Who is else is bored of taking pictures of wetness various? We had drought warnings back in May - which was enough to make it rain ever since.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm occasionally having trouble thinking up new things to photograph then I just wander about a bit and ideas come - it certainly makes me pay attention more to things about me. Some lovely orchids flowered this morning from a "tie-on" to one of coconut palms plus some gorgeous little blue things that are almost miniature pansies but aren't, in a pot beneath the same palm but I've also taken some photos of of other, more mechanical sort of stuff but then I can always store them to do again on a day when there is less available.

Already this year I have taken about twice as many photos as I did in the whole of last year! And that is counting AFTER I have deleted the worst of the out-of-focus or just plain awful dross.

Also I am already 23% of the way through my 366 [next year being a Leap Year] and see that CK is at 25%!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I become frustrated more than bored with repetition. Others on 365 have been so creative or found wonderful shots in that which I would have passed by as too mundane. I sometimes put in much effort to a mediocre "dramatic" shot when a different view of something more simple would be better.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Yes, some folks just seem to get the angle, don't they?

Your engine shot was brilliant.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Already this year I have taken about twice as many photos as I did in the whole of last year! And that is counting AFTER I have deleted the worst of the out-of-focus or just plain awful dross.

Also I am already 23% of the way through my 366 [next year being a Leap Year] and see that CK is at 25%!

Mmm - the programme that uploads photos on my laptop has a bar chart showing photos by month - there is a very noticeable leap up from when I started 365 - April and December were pretty solid columns beforehand, but every month since then has surpassed it and I was taking pictures before, most days.

We started just after Easter and the PeteC meet when I'd already taken photographs every day for other things, so I uploaded a daily picture from the week before, which is why I'm ahead of you, Welease Woderwick. When I stop, like now, I've got a big job of sorting out those photos for the church website, but that's also coding as well as processing.

Some of the problem for me with the wet weather is that I'm saving a lot of the indoors pictures for winter - the things aren't going to go away, and there are going to be weeks and weeks when I don't see daylight and need to use those ideas. I'm more frustrated that I can't use the long daylight hours and summer to get out and do more interesting things (mind you, work has meant that too), and it's too wet to be outside taking street shots - my poor camera doesn't like getting rained on.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
oooh - we've sunk to the bottom of the second page - can't be having that!

Who is else is bored of taking pictures of wetness various? We had drought warnings back in May - which was enough to make it rain ever since.

Definitely. I took some more today.

Sydney has had wettest July in thirty years. We've already had more than twice the average amount for all of the month.

Every time I woke up last night it was raining. I woke this morning about 7:00 am and it was raining. It's eased a off a couple of times but has never really stopped all day and there has been some very heavy rain in that time. It's now 9:24 pm and it 's still raining.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I should read to end of thread before replying, [Hot and Hormonal] I'm also up to 23%, WW. Like you, I find there are days when a subject is obvious, others when I can find something and some days when I really struggle.

It's a good discipline, I find.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

88 photos means I am now on 24%

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Yes, some folks just seem to get the angle, don't they?

Your engine shot was brilliant.

Thank you, means I'm learning then.

Loads of failure for every success though. Even that is a lesson; one days bad photo is the next good photo. Upon reevaluation, I sometimes find something I had overlooked initially. Good thing I delete seldom.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not that much wetness but such a lot of grey overcast days, where the sky comes out grey or white and makes what would otherwise be a good picture look drab.

On such days, macro shots or indoor shots are sometimes the answer. The change of seasons will bring out opportunities to use the greyness but it doesn't really work in summer.

I've taken quite a lot of pictures this month, almost all of which have had to be binned on closer examination. June was a lot better than July so far. Meanwhile I've been playing around with a new lens which goes down to a 1.8 aperture and is capable of some pretty good results in dim light, but as I've discovered, needs a tripod to get the best out of it.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Afew weeks ago I bought a new mini tripod, very nice it is too. A few days ago I found the old one, one of those strange bendy leg things. I had put it somewhere not only safe but sensible, it's just that I don't often look in my 35mm camera equipment bags!

[Hot and Hormonal]

Now I have to find the monopod - I thought it was in the back of the Jeep but no sign. Oh well, if I buy a new one it is bound to turn up!

--------------------

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pray for me. The warehouse club had a pretty nice Canon 18 MP DSLR with a 50-250mm lens for US$900. I've been without an SLR for about 5 years, after I stupidly took my Nikon canoeing. And I love to take a photograph... [Biased]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

[Votive] that you make a good decision.

Remember that self-love is important, as are concrete expressions of self-love [Biased]

--------------------

TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you! But if I REALLY love myself, I'll remember what my kind, gentle, sweet, dear loving wife would do to me if I dumped $900 into a fancy camera -I take 'way too many now with my little point & shoot, much less this beauty.

Did I mention it goes up to ASA 6400...? I could shoot black cats in a dark room without flash!

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

You could always say "It's only money" - I'm sure she would understand.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by TomOfTarsus:
Thank you! But if I REALLY love myself,

If you really, truly love yourself, I can advise you how to demonstrate this to yourself. Go on, ask me about lenses. [Devil]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

lilBuddha, please tell us about lenses.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Oh children gather round. Let me tell you of the Canon 70-200, f/2.8L with image stabilization. Or of the 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM True Macro with its 1 to 1 reproduction! The Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L glorious wide angle zoom!
Here tell, with a tear told, the tale of the no longer made Canon 200 mm f/1.8 One of the best lenses ever produced.
Few exist of the next beast I speak of... the Canon 1200 mm f/5.6.*
Little ones, these beauties can be had, for a price: your soul.

No, not really, just loads of dosh. 70 thousand pounds of the 1200.

*Pardon as I wipe the drool from my keyboard. Would not be surprised if I left drool on your keyboard.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I take it these lens are manufactured by starting with a large diamond and grinding.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was hoping that for 70 thousand the lens would actually be a diamond

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

If I had that sort of ready dosh [I wish!] I think I'd move up to Medium Format and possibly this little baby, with some lenses to go with it, of course. The free shipping will make all the difference, of course.

Terrible weight to carry about but perfection in camera form - 60 Mega-Pixels is quite a lot.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
60 megapixels is indeed quite a lot. I'm just trying to guess what the file size of one of the top-end photos would be. It says a 4GB card would hold about 50 images...
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

mmm - and would you really want to heft that around everywhere?

Personally I'm drooling over the current offers on the Nikon P7000 and knowing that it's a new bike, a (camping) holiday or a new camera. Yes, I know the Canon G12 is wonderful, but currently it's costing £120 more. That's the downside of ethical working for charities.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
mmm - and would you really want to heft that around everywhere?...

I reckon that if I could afford a Hasselblad and the gear to go with I could afford to employ someone to carry it all for me! It is a gorgeous piece of kit, but then so is my Nikon and really I'm quite satisfied with that.

I think one of the reasons I have taken so many pics this year, apart from buying a couple of new cameras, is that I am trying my best to only post on the 365 thingie stuff that I have taken that day so I take a few shots and like more than just one so have to try to replicate it a few days later - I have probably 3 or 4 that I like at the moment that I'll have to try and do again at some point.

My 2011 general folder so far has 3666 photos and is just on 10GB. That's 102 rolls of 35mm film, plus processing! I don't think I want to work that sum out.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, I've hit 25% on my 365 project, it seems a bit of a milestone and I'm rather chuffed with myself.

I see some folk are on their second go round, I'm not sure I'd go for that at all.

Today found that my new Case Logic bag is nicely waterproof but I'll still pack a large enough plastic bag in a side pocket so I can wrap it safely in the sort of downpours we get here; I don't want to risk something that costly getting wet.

I am trying to get into the habit of swapping between batteries every week or so, just so I keep them both charged up and used to working.

--------------------

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I fear I'm cheating slightly. I'm posting pics that I've taken over the last few weeks; but the problem is that there are enough good ones to keep me going for another month!

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Keep going, they're great pics!

I'm trying to do the one taken each day thing as a discipline and because, being retired, I should have the time but not everyone can be that flexible.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Keep going, they're great pics!

I'm trying to do the one taken each day thing as a discipline and because, being retired, I should have the time but not everyone can be that flexible.

I like having something to fall back on if weather, deliveries or whatever stop me getting out. That said, I am trying to post what was taken that day.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Although I hope this discipline is improving my technique there is no doubt that it is improving my observation - as I cycle around I am seeing more and assessing more if something will make a good snap, or not.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I have only posted a three or four pictures not taken on the day. Twice I had been out but nothing had worked, so I used something from a day or two before, once it was what I was trying to achieve, but the conditions weren't the same. The other times I was playing around with ideas and needed more time to fiddle and/or collect up the pictures*.

There are a couple of threads comparing an early picture and a later one of similar themes in the discussion area, and people are showing very noticeable improvements in composition, perspective and processing. I guess it's a mixture of practice and getting ideas from the other photographs we see. The difference in composition between the two shots I took across the fields is obvious if you put them side by side.

* that Mummy picture the photographs for the fire layer had been taken on the day, but the mummy mask and the people had been taken earlier.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
I fear I'm cheating slightly. I'm posting pics that I've taken over the last few weeks; but the problem is that there are enough good ones to keep me going for another month!

Cheating he says! I've posted pics a year old, not the point of this project at all!
Keep posting, I am enjoying the vicarious vacay.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Hit 25% mark on Project 365 this morning. Scary thought just how much time has elapsed in what seem to be a very short space. 25% of a year has flown.

Tried my hand at a sequence as fog rolled over Sydney this morning.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Tempus [Time] certainly fugits [flies], doesn't it Loth? I like the percentage meter thingy as it seems to encourage me a bit; but then if it didn't have it I'd probably be working it out for myself as I have that sort of mind.

As usual I have a few ideas of what I might snap today but, again as usual, I will probably end up posting something entirely different.

eta: translation for benefit of the Heavenly Hosts so they don't shout at me for speaking foreign

[ 28. July 2011, 04:20: Message edited by: Welease Woderwick ]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Anyone else freak out a bit when added to someone's follow list?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

It can be a bit daunting when you look at their project and find they are really good!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
eta: translation for benefit of the Heavenly Hosts so they don't shout at me for speaking foreign

Ye of little faith [Disappointed]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Nope, I don't freak out if added to someone's follow list, not now. You got the extras from being on the popular page. But I feel mean if I check their pictures and don't want to follow them back! Because I do look at the pictures of the people I'm following.

Popular page is number of favourites pretty much - you can get there with 2 or 3 to start with, and then they snowball.

100 seems to be seen as a landmark number - which is odd, because it's 27%, lots of people plan their 100th day picture. (No, it was sunny, there were bees.)

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Posting my photobucket page here was a big step for me. Doing 365 project was huge.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

So you're no more happy with self-portraits than I am?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Don't care for photos of me regardless who takes them. Not what I was addressing, though. I am very self-conscious about my photography. Not that I cannot bear criticism, I am fine with that. No one is more critical of my work than I in any case.

I also feel bad if someone follows me and I do not return the compliment. I also view every photo of the people I follow. I feel bad if I do not comment, but I do not always have something to say.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think you both look very fine - 'lilBuddha perhaps tending a little towards the anorexic, and CK perhaps a tad hirsuite, but just fine ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well if it's more POST a picture every day, and not too strict on the TAKE a picture every day, maybe I should just join, and slowly add all the favourites of the pics I have ever taken, one by one, occasionally adding something I've actually taken that day. [Two face]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Wet Kipper, I could point out one or two people who are doing just that - and doing very nicely on the popular page too

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I was lent a camera bag when I bought the Nikon D3100. However, it was a tight fit, even more so when strap had to be poked in too. I've just bought a lovely red camera bag with straps and adjustable pockets, big enough for any extra lenses (yet to be bought), extra batteries and the like.

I still like the discipline of taking something to post to Project 365 every day but am gradually weaning myself from a feeling of failure if I have to use an earlier photo.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

That's a great looking bag, Loth. My new one looks just what it is, a standard black SLR type bag; nobody seems to make attractive looking camera bags for guys, just functional stuff and style can go hang.

This has just given me a thought for another shot...

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
That's a great looking bag, Loth. My new one looks just what it is, a standard black SLR type bag; nobody seems to make attractive looking camera bags for guys, just functional stuff and style can go hang.

This has just given me a thought for another shot...

A friend in NZ (not on Ship) put me on to the site. I also did a search and found similar bags for women and a few places with snazzy bags for men. Also found a couple of forums with ideas and recommendations. Think I used search terms like
camera bag women Very basic as you can see. Some were absolutely beautiful but US$700 +. Well out of my range. Aussie dollar is currently well above US dollar so that was a help. This was US $160, I think. US $60 for UPS international express. which was a total scam in my books. International perhaps, but nowhere near express. Friend in NZ had hers in five days. Mine took almost three weeks.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Thanks, I'll do a search but I think if I buy another camera bag in the near future I might have a riot on my hands!

I've just posted my hundredth shot so am at 27% - still quite a way to go. I suppose the old maxim of one day at a time is very true in this case.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016