homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Through the Lens (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Through the Lens
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nice bag, lothlorian. I like that it does not appear to be a camera bag.

Congrats on the 100th, WW.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Nice bag, lothlorian. I like that it does not appear to be a camera bag.

Congrats on the 100th, WW.

Exactly what was intended. I did not even know there were bags which didn't look like a camera bag till i read the blog of a friend in NZ. On searching I found quite few.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats to you, WW and I've made that number myself this morning. Line upon line, precept upon precept, as it is put elsewhere. [Biased] Every photo posted reinforces the discipline of posting.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I won't be posting snaps for a while but am still taking some each day, currently mostly of my plaster covered limbs! Hopefully I will be able to catch up later with all the posting. At the moment most of the snaps are taken upside down using my left hand with thumb on the trigger so I'll have to spin them on the computer.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations on the 100th the Welease Woderick and Lothlorien

Just in case you've missed it, this week's theme is TV shows (WW - Casualty?) and there is an August abstract theme going on. Tags are theme-tvshows and augustabstract

And I'm useless, I set this up to post before work this morning and have only just rolled in to realise I didn't [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
...And I'm useless, I set this up to post before work this morning and have only just rolled in to realise I didn't [Roll Eyes]

You are not alone, I have frequently done similar though not yet, thank God, with a Host Post.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
I won't be posting snaps for a while but am still taking some each day, currently mostly of my plaster covered limbs! Hopefully I will be able to catch up later with all the posting. At the moment most of the snaps are taken upside down using my left hand with thumb on the trigger so I'll have to spin them on the computer.

Sorry to hear about your predicament. No excuse though, still expect brilliant photos. [Biased]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Just how many limbs are covered with plaster? What a mystery. Hope all heals well.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And I'm useless, I set this up to post before work this morning and have only just rolled in to realise I didn't [Roll Eyes]

?? Not sure what you're saying here. Are you able to type your posts in advance and have some kind of software that posts them at a specified time in your absence?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ariel - it's Firefox, you can save the tabs where you are and come back to it, so I came back to find the Ship tab was sitting at an unposted response!

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

ROFLMAO! Going through the comment on 365, I nearly thanked someone for their comment on one of CK's photos. Possible indication of the need of a of more sleep.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

On 365, there is a discussion as to whether one's photos have meaning, as in a message.
I cannot recall a single photo I have ever taken which had an intended meaning beyond "I hope you like it."
Any of you shoot to convey your love, angst or message?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Once in a blue moon I'll do something with a bit more message to it, but mostly it's because it's a nice shot. Some of the people I'm following are making points with their pictures regularly

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Any of you shoot to convey your love, angst or message?

Now and again. I did recently do "commuting blues" for that purpose. But mostly I take pictures of what I think would make a good photo and also catch something of the flavour of the day. But I suppose if the flavour of a particular day happens to be angst, well, there you go.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I certainly don't take photos with a moral or point behind them ike a visual Aesop's fables or some horrible little Victorian tale for children.

I may take photos of things with a history or similar but usually, it's what i see that day.

Like today's photo distorted by the speed of the bus I was in. I didn't even realise what it was like till I downloaded it to computer and it was then that it caught my eye.

Time for bed, I think. Spelling is up the creek or it may well be co-ordination of fingers and keyboard.

[ 11. August 2011, 12:14: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

There seem to be quite a lot of photos of insects at the moment. Is this one of the current themes which I have missed, or is it just coincidence?
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

No theme, it's just the time of year when you see them, and macro lenses or macro shots means you can see the most amazing detail. And as I'm limited to what I can effectively take pictures of, macro shots of insects (and flowers, but they're no challenge) are possible.

Has anyone else read the basics of photography article linked here? I'm back to camera envy. I would love to have any control of aperture and shutter speed.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I'm back to lens and megapixel envy. I need to upgrade, but the prices for an up-to-date DSLR are extortionate. Secondhand or less new will be the way to go, but even they are still quite pricy.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Just read the article. It is brilliantly simple. As far as understanding the camera most of what I could think to add would be extrapolation. I would add composition as the most important non mechanical thing to learn.

Do not get an SLR, ck. I'll then be completely ashamed to post.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

It is the lenses, Ariel, which put one in the poor house. Once bought, the body is good for several years, but there is always just one more lens to purchase.
I've this vision of myself homeless toting a battered suitcase full of lenses.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

You are totally safe, an SLR is not on the agenda, what I'm currently wishing for is an upgraded point and shoot that allows control of shutter speed and aperture, plus some of the other controls the come as standard now - like bracketing.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

familiar sotto voce drifts from background:
Canon G12, Canon G12

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Canon G12 is £400, Nikon P7000 is £300 and the Panasonic Lumix is available at £350

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

For that price you might just as well get a DSLR.

I'm hoping to get a secondhand one towards the end of the year - if I can find a better Canon that does more than 6 megapixels and that doesn't break the bank. I bought mine secondhand from a colleague for about £150 and never regretted it, it's been a great camera.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

quote:
Do not get an SLR, ck. I'll then be completely ashamed to post.

You shouldn't be - the fun fair shot was fantastic

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

CK, thanks for this article link. Interesting and informative.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Ariel - I won't need any lenses with a point and shoot - and your envy was?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

As per my previous post. A minimum spec of 10 megapixels. I do have a digital camera that does 14 (fun and easy to slip into a pocket), but you don't get the sharpness and clarity with a compact that you do with a DSLR. Also the colour rendition can be a bit haphazard. In short you don't get the fine-tuning that you do with a DSLR. You can still do point-and-shoot with one if you want, though.

Btw I keep lenses to a minimum, but would just like a better zoom lens. Filters will be a thing to explore in due course.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Canon G12 is £400, Nikon P7000 is £300 and the Panasonic Lumix is available at £350

The canon and the Nikon both have lots of external control, which I like. Also a viewfinder. Not sure which lumix you are referencing.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Here is a canon v Nikon comparison.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

That was actually this one because there are several really good point and shoot photographers on 365 using variations on this camera, for example this one which was the one that's the next down in price that does a lot more than I can do now. I was being dragged out last night as I was trying to post

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The panasonic cameras are fine. The issue I have with them are the lack of external controls.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

hmm - I'm losing any conscience on processing, because I can't do most of what can be done in camera by most of the cameras being used - even i-phones, and it's the only way I can get the balances right on some things, so any more functions on a camera would be wonderful. My daughter's Samsung does a lot more than my camera does!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I think all the cameras you have referenced would do the job. Easy enough to see which have the features most important to you. I like external dials and buttons as opposed to menu driven controls. Easier and faster to change settings, for me in any case.
However the best thing is to try them first, if you can.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Sorry for all the rather obvious "advice"

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

My Nikon Prosumer has a BIG object lens, almost as big as a DSLR, and gives lots of different program[me]s and controls but it also does point and shoot - and it has a viewfinder. I like the theory of a DSLR but know that what I have is enough...

...until I can afford that Hasselblad [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curiosity Killed..

Wondered if you had looked at this camera or this one which both won awards this year from Technical Image Press Association this year. I had to look them up on the web.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I'm dreaming, there are a lot of other things need to be done before I buy a new camera to replace a functioning one. But I get camera envy on 365

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Ah, on 365 it's the people with sets of antique china and furniture, seemingly unlimited wardrobes stuffed full of period clothes, a variety of relations willing to be photographed leaping into technicolour sunsets, and the ability to take shots of themselves in four different poses simultaneously that I envy.

I'm not saying anything about the water splashes, but my kitchen sink would make a horrible setting and I don't have an interesting bowl.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

well the four poses is all about tripods and timers or remotes and photoshop / GIMP ability

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Question about favourites on 365.
I generally only click Fav on a photo I really like from a photog who I do not wish to follow or who I am still considering.
While I have noticed some 365ers Fav almost compulsively, I might be a bit on the spare side.
I've reasons for not doing favs for those I follow, but the net result may be unfair for those I would otherwise Fav.
As I am quite aware my thought process is, um, unique, thought I might enquire as to your opinions.
Am I being unfair to those who's photos I would favourite if I were not following them?

[ 18. August 2011, 10:33: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I figured that favouriting things wasn't costing me anything, so that being generous with them was a way of saying something was good. I do favourite a lot. On my homepage stream, I'll sometimes find I'll favourite three pictures in succession, then nothing for ages, but I'll often find the stuff I've favourited is on the Popular Page so I'm obviously not the only person.

The Popular Page is odd, it seems to be triggered by views and favourites, but it ain't necessarily so. Yesterday, because I knew those windmills had something like 70 views and 4 favourites, I did look at a few pictures on the PP, and there were some up with 3 favourites and 24 views, including one or two that I really didn't think were all that special. (I'm actually not that convinced the windmills is the best thing I've done either, so not that bothered, but was trying to work it out).

There's a little group of 12 year old girls I'm following - they started following me and I followed them back, figuring they'd get bored soon, and they are all favouriting each other like mad and trying to encourage the others to favourite them. One of them is actually very good, and deserves the boost, however, the others aren't so much.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I only favourite pictures I'm particularly impressed by and will want to see again; ones that strike me as being really beautiful or else have an interesting effect that I want to try to reproduce myself. Periodically I review them and delete the ones I'm no longer interested in. I keep it to a minimum.

I don't look at the Popular page regularly, partly because I don't have as much time as I used to, though when I do I always find something fascinating on there (the page is something I can never look at briefly). I also won’t follow anyone who has a huge amount of followers already – I'd rather give my support and some encouragement to someone who is clearly good but going largely unnoticed rather than just echo what the previous 40 or 50 people have just said.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

On the other hand I'm a mean old thing and I don't thing I've favourited anything yet.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Welease Woderick, one of the very good and popular guys has just finished and started at thread saying why he didn't favourite anything.

Ariel, that's all very well, but some of the people I started following when it was just me and two others who never commented are beginning to get followers now! I do often start following people with a very few followers.

That popular page, if you look, tends to get pictures from the New Faces page, new people whose pictures get featured, and people who are established and have loads of followers. It's rare something gets picked up and boosted out of nowhere. There are some fantastic photographers out there, but a lot of brilliant stuff gets missed and mediocre stuff from someone established goes up. Why does this or this make the popular page, for example, and not this

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
On the other hand I'm a mean old thing and I don't thing I've favourited anything yet.

Same here. I tend to check the discussions regularly now as there is often something to learn from them and good links to follow up.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
The Popular Page is odd, it seems to be triggered by views and favourites, but it ain't necessarily so.

Part of a paid membership is a statistics page. Lists my top 10 photos. One with fewer views an fewer favourites can list higher than one with more.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
There are some fantastic photographers out there, but a lot of brilliant stuff gets missed and mediocre stuff from someone established goes up. Why does this or this make the popular page, for example, and not this

Flickr can rate photos by "interestingness". Not sure how this is done but just wondering if that's similar to how some things end up on the Popular page that aren't that inspiring. Maybe the software would think (if software ever thinks but you know what I mean) that the first two form less usual(=interesting) compositions with sharper contrasts whereas the third falls clearly into the category of conventional insect shots, even though technically it is much better?
nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

- Posted      Profile for nomadicgrl   Email nomadicgrl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Between going to family camp for 4 days, hosting friends from Africa for a week and visiting family out of province I've fallen behind on this thread and on my 365 commenting and posting. Mostly caught up on the later now. I was pretty good about shooting every day, only missed 2 - but because they're saved in random files all over my computer I have not been good about posting on the "right" day when I catch up - I just guestimated the actual day they were taken. Hopefully now that things are calming down I'll be back on track with taking AND posting.

I definetly get lens envy. I drool over the Canon L lenses and if I thought I could ever afford them I'd have a Canon body. I can't decide now if my next purchase (many moons from now) will be a new prime lens or an external flash. I would love to have a more telephoto or macro lens, but I also know that external flash can take photography to a whole new level. However EF does intimidate me too.

I only use "Favourite" on photos I really like and want to keep on record to view again. I find that looking at what's popular reminds me of Photo Contest Phenomena - where the 5th place photo seems miles ahead of the second or even first place winners. But it is fun to use that as a way to browse different photographers and styles. I also sometimes browse by my camera type to see what others with my basic equipment are doing.

[ 20. August 2011, 15:27: Message edited by: nomadicgrl ]

--------------------
The care of another,even material, bodily care is spiritual in essence. Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.- Jacques Maritain

Posts: 437 | From: Living in the land of Anne (with an e) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by nomadicgrl:
I definetly get lens envy. I drool over the Canon L lenses and if I thought I could ever afford them I'd have a Canon body. I can't decide now if my next purchase (many moons from now) will be a new prime lens or an external flash. I would love to have a more telephoto or macro lens, but I also know that external flash can take photography to a whole new level. However EF does intimidate me too.

Nikon have good glass as well, though it was for the lenses I went Canon...
External flash is a different skill, but one well worth acquiring.
As far as affordability, it is a matter of priority then, isn't it?
For example, your husband really doesn't need new clothing, second hand and patched can be tres chic. Buy clothes several sizes too large for your little one and let him grow into them. Food can be another savings. Nutrition is a bit over-rated, buy cheap take away. More calories for less money = more camera equipment. I've tons more tips, if you are interested. [Two face]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016