homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Dishy: the 2011 recipe thread. (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Dishy: the 2011 recipe thread.
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
Only posting to brag: I and three others made 78 dozen meatballs this morning, to freeze for an event later this fall.

Has the beef cattle population gone into a decline?

[Biased]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Skirlie recipe as requested:

50g butter
1 onion, finely chopped
175g medium oatmeal
Salt and pepper

Fry the onion (with a pinch of salt to stop it catching) gently in the butter until softened, then stir in the oatmeal, season and cook for about another 10 minutes.

Eat it just as it is with buttery mashed potatoes (suitable for vegetablists), or use it as a stuffing for chicken or turkey (not).

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That is a truly impressive butter-to-oat ratio.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My arteries clog just at the thought of it! [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks piglet.

Oats are for cholesterol so I was thinking of using olive oil instead of butter.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I must confess that I got the proportions in that recipe from a web-site called Scottish Food or something similar, but my computer had a brainfart that stopped me linking to it. I haven't actually followed that recipe myself; it's over 30 years since I made skirlie (in domestic science in school), although it looked more-or-less as I remembered it.

When I looked up skirlie on the interweb, at least one recipe substituted olive oil for butter - hardly authentically Scottish, but maybe quite interesting. There were also recipes with other things added (thyme and spinach was one combination). You could probably try all manner of additions - in Wodders' part of the world, maybe ghee instead of butter and a few interesting spices ... ?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We're having 80 people over tonight for a Combined Ninetieth party - which is the number if you add MRs C and I together, just to be clear.

I've made little pastry cases in mini-muffin pan using this sweet pastry recipe, and used the last of the lemons to make a batch of lemon curd. Big teaspoon of curd on each little tart, and there is bite-sized yummies to go with coffee and tea later on.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow--that sounds truly delicious. And 90 of them? <Drools.>

--------------------

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our kids are going to be in-state around Thanksgiving, and Son #2 told us today that at least he, wife and granddaughter would be willing to come to our house for a special meal that week; that it's time for us to enjoy hosting responsibilities. (We're in a constant tug-of-war with the in-law families and even DP's ex-husband for our kids' time on their infrequent visits home.)

This is great news -- we love Thanksgivingtime, love to cook and are looking forward to doing this.

Son #2, however, is not a fan of turkey. But he is a fan of meat. (Because his wife is a mostly vegetarian, he's always starving for meat when we go out to eat.)

I think we have enough yummy vegetarian recipes in our repetoire to make DiL happy. But we wants us some turkey. But we also want Son #2 to be happy. So...any suggestions for a second meat for him and any other guests who aren't keen on turkey? DiL has a really negative reaction to even being in the presence of pork, so I think a ham or pork roast is out of the picture. For some reason I'm drawing a total blank. Son #2 is too picky about fish for us to serve him, say, a nice salmon steak, and he seems a little afraid of lamb, so I think we're solidly in beef territory. But what sort of beef? (How I got hooked up with a family of picky eaters I'll never know...so unlike my family of enthusiastic trencherpersons.)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Posh beef, and I immediately think beef Wellington. We had it for New Yeas Eve and it was gorgeous!
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

LC - a small standing rib roast wouldn't break the bank, and he gets to chew the bones too.

PeteC
Ex-carnivore

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or a steak. Does in minutes, and slots in with a lot of the turkey accompaniments (roast potatoes, she says vaguely: maybe not the marshmallows...)

You could marinade it in advance to fancy it up a bit. Or, depending on how you adjudge the likelihood of Family in Thanksgiving Fire Tragedy, flambee it.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've never had a meal catch on fire, but we once had a guest at one of our barbecues nearly set our patio on fire, after volunteering to start the charcoal grill. [Eek!]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

A friend of ours does wonderful roast beef in a covered barbecue; that way you'd still have oven space for the turkey for everyone else.

eta: And before you say "but Thanksgiving's in November", we had the aforementioned roast beef on Boxing Day.

In Newfoundland. [Big Grin]

[ 14. September 2011, 03:47: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to go with PeteC on this one. A standing rib roast is a great presentation. You can also use the bones to make a lovely stock for noodles.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Oh, we're all about grilling in chillier seasons here too -- much to the curiosity of the neighbors, I suspect.

Rib roast sounds good. Tenderloin sounds good.

He's okay with chicken, so Cornish hen is another suggestion we're entertaining.

I'm flexible. The thing I'm most concerned with, apart from having an enjoyable meal in general, is winding up with plenty of turkey leftovers for us.;-)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I decided to do a nice vegetable dish the other night. I sliced up a zucchini and opa squash tossed them with some olive oil minced garlic and sea salt. Then I broiled the dish for 10-12 minutes. Oh my was it delicious.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
Skirlie recipe as requested:

50g butter
1 onion, finely chopped
175g medium oatmeal
Salt and pepper

Fry the onion (with a pinch of salt to stop it catching) gently in the butter until softened, then stir in the oatmeal, season and cook for about another 10 minutes.

Fried porridge with onions! I knew I couldn't be the only one!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just went to the farmers market to get me some late summer fruit. Weeks ago I found an organic fruit orchard farmer's booth and I've been pigging out on white nectarines- man o man! They are a bit smaller now but still yummy. I also saw some nice ripe figs. I have a fig pie recipe I've been wanting to try, but no time this week- I want to concentrate back on the decluttering.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
Budget cuts being what they are, my school is having a potluck breakfast for our staff development day.

The upside? I discovered this:

Baked Oatmeal

Insanely delicious, and so easy to make. I'm still not sure what a "huckleberry" is, but it was great with blueberries instead, and I can imagine peaches/apples/whathaveyou working well too. I made it tonight and will reheat tomorrow, but I think it'd work fine to prep everything the night before and just stick it in the oven when you wake up for a really great cold-morning breakfast.

I need to shut up about the virtues of this oatmeal now. If only so I can go sneak some more off a part of the baking dish that people may not notice...

I was all geared up for trying this, when I hit a problem. The recipe says “Be sure to use rolled oats and not instant oats”. Telling them apart seems tricky.

For instance, these oats claim to be 100% rolled oats, but surely they're the sort of instant oat I should be avoiding?

Will anything calling itself 'rolled oats' do? How do I tell which ones will work for the recipe, and which won't?

Thanks.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Size of flake. Quick cooking oats may be made from ordinary rolled oats, as that link claims, but more processing has been done to make flake size small so cooking is quicker. Sometimes the product becomes almost a powder. Rolled oat flakes are around size of my little fingernail, more or else and are flat. At least down here.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

Those should be fine. What you need to avoid are the ones so heavily processed and shaved that they cook enough if you simply pour boiling water on them.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Those Quaker oats should be fine. Instant oatmeal is like instant coffee, you just stir in boiling water (or milk), for example Redi-Brek . The ones linked to need cooking - 2 mins in the microwave, or longer in a pan on the stove.

Made a fat-free, sugar-free, salt-free version yesterday, I can see that it would be yummier with butter, salt and sugar, but as I am getting used to eating my food without them as far as I can, I was happy with the result.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quite out of the blue, my local grocery store, which always has a terrible selection of everything, stocked beef kidneys. Never one to let an opportunity for offal pass me by (though the tripe was quite the culinary failure), I've set my mind on turning the kidneys into steak and kidney pie.

I have my recipe- my question is whether steak and kidney pie reheats well, since I hardly intend to eat it all in one sitting.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

It certainly reheats, Zack. Be careful to ensure that the portion to be reheated has some liquid in it, as a dried out next day portion is disgusting.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks, Pete!

The kidney is soaking in milk now. I gotta say, the way the internet goes on about kidneys, I braced myself for the overpowering stench of urine as I opened the cellophane. Not only did I practically have to put my nose in it to smell anything at all, it smelled more like liver than pee-pee.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every time I have ever cooked kidneys they have smelled fine. Easy to cook as well, and very soft.

Classic way to cook kidneys - fry quickly in butter with mushrooms, onions and garlic. Eat on toast. Takes two or three minutes. Wonderful.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I'm thinking about making a small apple crisp tonight from some of the apples we picked while "freestyling" in the countryside yesterday. (When we see an apple-laden tree hanging over the right-of-way on some lonely country road we stop to taste the apples. Since the trees themselves are usually volunteers -- the product of some young farm lad or lass tossing an apple core over the fence once upon a time -- it's a real question mark as to what they'll taste like, but we occasionally find some fine apples this way. Yesterday we found one tree whose apples were remarkably similar to Granny Smiths.)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

It's the steak and kidney pie of fools...

Zach

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bravo, Zach! You are very talented!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Excellent, Zach - it almost makes me wish I liked kidneys ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

I don't typically eat meat, but I'm drooling over that beautiful pie crust. Nicely done!

[ 20. September 2011, 06:02: Message edited by: infinite_monkey ]

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
It's the steak and kidney pie of fools...

I nearly didn't look - I hate kidney - but I'm glad I did [Smile]
Love the logo!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zach - nice decoration. Comment over my shoulder from Sandemaniac was that the last few kidneys we've had have not smelt of anything bar meat - probably because they were very fresh.

Anyway, reason for wandering over here. We have a glut of cayenne peppers, far far more than our usual chilli chutney recipe can cope with, so does anyone have some other suggestions to use/store them? We also have quite a lot of chutney generally, so other ideas for veg gluts gladly accepted. Don't particularly want to try storing in oil for a variety of reasons. Oh, and we have very limited freezer space!

Other query, does anyone have any recipes for preserving cabbage?

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:
We have a glut of cayenne peppers, far far more than our usual chilli chutney recipe can cope with, so does anyone have some other suggestions to use/store them?

How about just pickling them? - Quick & easy and probably has more uses than a chutney. I expect there's plenty pf recipes online - I don't have one, as I only like a smidgeon of chilli heat in my food.

My jelly/jam/chutney/pickle cupboard is full, and my freezer too, from the gluts of previous years, so I have been trying to eat our various gluts as they occur. I admit to looking forward to reaching the end of meals built around courgettes, chard or climbing beans (various), even though some of the recipes have been really tasty.

Mr RoS has now started bringing bags of apples home from the boxes of windfalls left at peoples gates. I suppose I will have to try and find freezer space for a couple of pies [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm going to nip in, with apologies, to record the fact that for once I actually made myself something proper this evening - a vegetable curry, with potatoes, courgettes, mushrooms and spinach. I'm actually a good cook, but have been so disinclined of late to bother, so I'm feeling unreasonably pleased right now...

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Celtic Knotweed, if you like Chile-Garlic sauce, here's how I make it. Cayenne is one of my most reliable hot peppers. I will also throw in free and gratis a useful tip - if you think you have got hot chile oils on your hands while cutting them up (er, chiles, not hands, for that you need ER) wash them (hands, not chiles this time) with toothpaste. Work it in well, let it sit several minutes then rinse off. It works!

1 1/2 cups diced carrot (1 large)
1/4 cup water
200 grams (2 cups chopped) fresh red cayenne chiles
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup vinegar
3 heads garlic

Put the jars into a canner with water to cover, and bring them to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Peel and dice the carrot, and cook it in the water, covered, until tender. While that happens, cut the stems from the cayennes and cut them into 1 cm slices. (Wear gloves!) Add them, with their seeds, to the carrots. Add the salt, sugar and vinegar.

Separate the heads of garlic and peel the cloves, and add them to the pan. Cook for about 5 minutes. Put the lids and rings in a pot covered with water on to boil for 5 minutes.

Remove the contents of the pan to a blender, and blend until smooth. Pack into the prepared jars and seal with the prepared lids and rings. Return the sealed jars to the boiling water bath for 5 minutes. Remove and let cool. Test for seals, and label.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Also in reply to Celtic Knotweed, I make beet and red cabbage relish (contains horseradish as well.) and also sauerkraut. Somebody was telling me about freezer cole-slaw but I have my doubts. But if you are interested I'm sure googling will produce results.
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

Celtic Knotweed, what kind of cabbage? And are you open to a recipe that cooks but doesn't preserve?

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

Thanks for the comments on the steak and kidney pie of fools. Would you believe the pork pie of fools is the third meat pie I've made this week?

Zach

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sad to say but I've realised I do actually like quiche.....

I've avoided making it all these years but does anyone have a good quick recipe (or link) for nice quiches.

I do like a traditional egg and bacon but other varieties I've had are rather nice too (spinach/ broccoli/ pesto etc)

I can google happily but just wondered if anyone could recommend a quick and/or easy one to get me going?

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IME you can throw nigh on anything into a quiche as long as it's not too wet (therefore cut the middles out of tomatoes). I like sundried tomatoes and feta, or bacon/spinach/blue cheese. Random mixed vegetables like carrots/brocoli/peas also work well.

For those who like onions, you can also make quiche with nothing but long strips of onion sauteed in a bit of olive oil. Personally I really like this made with sweet pastry - sounds a bit odd, but the sweetness really works with the onions.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
Sad to say but I've realised I do actually like quiche.....

So not a man [Roll Eyes]

So not a typist, either [Disappointed]

[ 26. September 2011, 10:27: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

I'm intimidated by the crust factor in quiche (I'm too much of a snob to buy ready-made, but have an irrational fear of screwing up a DIY crust). However, I love a good frittata. This recipe is an old favorite:

Mollie Katzen's Winter Frittata

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Celtic Knotweed, what kind of cabbage? And are you open to a recipe that cooks but doesn't preserve?

Pssst, just imagine I'm Celtic Knotweed...

We're certainly open to recipes, though it looks as though we may well be glutted so preservation would be a bonus. If the worst comes to the worst, we can always eat the stuff! We may just have to rely on online friends for a while...

At the mo we're finishing the Hispi, which is a not particularly dense summer cabbage (I wonder - I'm sure I sowed some Greyhound - where did they go?), but we've got some Stonehead coming on, which are very dense hearted - I believe that's a typical sauerkraut cabbage, but we've nowhere sensible to leave a bucketful of brewing brassica - and keep for yonks.

Any help?

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

Sandemaniac, I make my sauerkraut right in the glass preserving jar. Interested?
Ophicleide16
Shipmate
# 16344

- Posted      Profile for Ophicleide16   Email Ophicleide16   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I shall share with you a vegetarian recipe of entirely my own invention which I have named "St. Andrew's Tofu"

Ingredients:

Tofu (either plain or your favourite brand- I reccomend the "organic marinated tofu" by Couldron)
1x Mango
1x Red Pepper
1x Green Pepper
St. Andrew's seasoning (1 part Cayenne chilli pepper, 2 parts cumin and 2 parts paprika)

Slice the mango and peppers and stir fry with the tofu. Add the St. Andrew's seasoning to taste. Serve with rice. This is a well spiced dish, and I like sparkling water to accompany it. A friend of mine called Carrolle grew up in Sudan where such spicy foods are abound and she approves of this dish- an expert opinion. St. Andrew himself would rise from his grave for a taste.

Posts: 79 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

At Celtic Knotweed, couldn't you dry the peppers?

At Emma Louise, going from memory I have made quiches using a base recipe.

4 eggs
1 cup cream or half n half or milk
vegetables, meats, and seasonings you like
a crust(I suck at crusts get somebody elses recipe for this part)
bake

We had salmon tonight. It wasn't bad but the salmon ended up way to dry. So with leftovers I decided to make a pasta salad for lunch tomorrow.

4-6 ounces of salmon
a good amount of farfalle pasta
8 kalmata olives
8 capers
1 clove of garlic
1 bunch of broccolini
good olive oil
balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper

I did a quick saute of the broccolini and garlic, chopped up the olives and capers, and mixed every thing together. Turned out so tasty that I can barely wait for lunch tomorrow.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by Ophicleide16:
St. Andrew's seasoning (1 part Cayenne chilli pepper, 2 parts cumin and 2 parts paprika)

As a Scot, I'm more than a little intrigued as to why that mixture of spices is named after our patron saint.

[Confused]

It sounds interesting - for the non-veggies among us* would it work with chicken or prawns?

* Not that I mind vegetarian food, I just don't like the texture of tofu.

--------------------

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
quote:

Pssst, just imagine I'm Celtic Knotweed...

We're certainly open to recipes, though it looks as though we may well be glutted so preservation would be a bonus. If the worst comes to the worst, we can always eat the stuff! We may just have to rely on online friends for a while...

At the mo we're finishing the Hispi, which is a not particularly dense summer cabbage (I wonder - I'm sure I sowed some Greyhound - where did they go?), but we've got some Stonehead coming on, which are very dense hearted - I believe that's a typical sauerkraut cabbage, but we've nowhere sensible to leave a bucketful of brewing brassica - and keep for yonks.

Any help?

AG

101 Cookbooks to the rescue!

I really, really love the warm cabbage salad, but I don't think it would work with anything other than purple cabbage. The cabbage soup sounds simple, tasty, and, perhaps most important, freeze-able.

My personal favorite use of cabbage is in curtido, or Salvadorean cabbage slaw. But you gotta have pupusas to go with, and that's its own recipe tangent...

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016