homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Dishy: the 2011 recipe thread. (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Dishy: the 2011 recipe thread.
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow - it looks as though we will have no shortage of things to do with cabbage! Ferdzy - yes, would like to try that.

Next problem - what do we do with all the friends we are going to lose eating all that cabbage? Never mind - it'll save on our gas bill!

We probably could dry the peppers, though I'd need to investigate how - I suspect they're a bit fleshy to dry in the airing cupboard, and this is the UK which isn't really designed for drying anything...

Thanks!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ophicleide16
Shipmate
# 16344

- Posted      Profile for Ophicleide16   Email Ophicleide16   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
As a Scot, I'm more than a little intrigued as to why that mixture of spices is named after our patron saint.

[Confused]

Ahhh it's only named indirectly after your patron. I named it for St. Andrew's Church, Holborn- where I'm a regular. I'm sure St. Andrew himself may have come accross such spices though, given where he lived, although not necessarily in that combination.
Posts: 79 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know herbs can be dried in a low oven, and it appears that peppers can be too:

drying peppers

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Ophicleide16:
St. Andrew's seasoning (1 part Cayenne chilli pepper, 2 parts cumin and 2 parts paprika)

As a Scot, I'm more than a little intrigued as to why that mixture of spices is named after our patron saint.

[Confused]

It sounds interesting - for the non-veggies among us* would it work with chicken or prawns?

* Not that I mind vegetarian food, I just don't like the texture of tofu.

For chicken or prawns I would include garlic powder and salt in the mix.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Most vegetarians live quite happily without ever seeing a brick of tofu. There are other sources of protein other than meat or faux meat.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone have a good recipe for blackberry and apple crumble? I have some windfall apples and picked blackberries today so would like to use them up [Smile]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Blackberry & apple crumble is one of those things that I do more by eye than measurements, but here goes:

peel, core and chop the apples into good sized chunks; bung them in a saucepan with the blackberries and a tablespoon or 2 of sugar (depending how much fruit you've got). Add a splash of water and simmer gently until the apples are slightly softened but not mushy. A pinch of cinnamon can be nice if you like.

Crumble topping: 4-6tbsp plain flour, 2-3oz butter, 2-3 tbsp sugar (again depending how much fruit you've got). Put them all in a bowl and rub together until it's crumbly.

Tip onto fruit, sprinkle a little more sugar on top.

Bake gas 4 (sorry don't do electric) for 30-45 mins or until sufficiently golden for your tastes.

Sorry it's a bit vague - hope it helps.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
...adding a tablespoon of oats and/or a few chopped nuts [almonds or cashews, etc.] to the crumble topping can make it a bit special.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sandemaniac, here's a link to my recipe for sauerkraut. I'm not posting it here because a) it's fairly long and detailed and b) it's worthwhile clicking through the links to read other people's takes on making sauerkraut to get a feel for the process. Although the lat one seems to have disappeared.

Don't be put off by the length of the instructions. It's somewhat time-consuming but not really difficult to make. The main thing, which I realize may be a bit difficult to control, is to be sure you have a place that's the right temperature for it to ferment. Also, read both sections before you start! Good luck!

http://seasonalontariofood.blogspot.com/2009/08/experimenting-with-sauerkraut.html

http://seasonalontariofood.blogspot.com/2009/09/final-report-on-sauerkraut.html

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After various visits to the Condemned Food Aisle at our local Sainsbury's, I have a number of vaguely interesting pieces of meat in the freezer - several duck legs, some beef kidneys, oxtail, lamb shanks. I think that's it but there may be something else.

I was thinking that, with those, one could have a decently decadent casserole. Would that work? Any ideas for method/recipe?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One of our local restaurants made duck legs into a small plate on one of their Small Plates Nights...if memory serves they coated them with hoisin sauce and other Asian flavors for a fun, sticky take on the ubiquitous American chicken-wing appetizer. I liked 'em.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
... the Condemned Food Aisle at our local Sainsbury's ...

Condemned??? [Eek!]

IMHO the nicest (and easiest) way to cook lamb shanks is in a slow-cooker - marinate them overnight in the slow-cooker with chopped carrots, celery and onions, a few sprigs of rosemary, a couple of crushed garlic cloves, salt & pepper and red wine, then next day add stock and potatoes and cook on "low" for a long time (I've posted my recipe before but it was probably in last year's thread - I'll check out times and quantities if you want them).

Yum ... [Smile]

PS For the duck-legs, another take on LutheranChick's recipe would be Peking duck - roast them, shred the meat with a fork, and roll up in Chinese pancakes with hoisin sauce, cucumber and spring onions/scallions.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you.

What I was envisaging, though, is more a duck, lamb, kidney, and oxtail casserole - i.e., one pot, a sort of pot-au-feu but posher! I'm thinking of getting a little bird or a rabbit to add, as well.

My hesitation, though, is that I'm just not sure it would work.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Something like a cocido ? Or cassoulet ?

I would put the duck legs together with any pork, sausages, chicken and game with haricot beans and do a riff on cassoulet.

Oxtail and lamb shanks could be slow cooked together in red wine. Let it cool overnight and skim the fat. Then reheat, adding the offal and probably chucking in some root veg for the final 40 minutes (or so).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ophicleide16
Shipmate
# 16344

- Posted      Profile for Ophicleide16   Email Ophicleide16   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A tip for pasta bakes- use a variety of shapes and sizes of pasta for a more interesting eat. Cream based sauces can be too rich, and tomato based sauches respond far better to cheeses and herbs.
Posts: 79 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh buggery pooh! I decided to enter a competition here in France - just found out about it, closing date on Sunday. So I carefully translated my recipe into French and then read the rules (Hint to self: read rules first) You have to send a photo of the meal with your entry. As my recipe includes expensive things like filet mignon, and jerusalem artichokes and shedloads of cream,which we can't afford, and I haven't got time to cook it between now and Sunday anyway, I've just wasted an hour translating the thing...

So, if anyone would like (in French) the recipe for Filet Mignon in wild mushroom sauce, with gratin dauphinoise and Jerusalem artichoke flan do please PM me! It sounds delicious (I've never made it!!!)

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If I needed a cut of beef for a cream sauce, I would probably go with the much cheaper bottom sirloin. Filet Mignon is has the grand, tender texture, but is rather bland.

Zach

[ 07. October 2011, 18:45: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In our effort to clean out our freezer, we finally decided to deal with four lamb shanks that have been languishing in there forever (we bought a whole lamb, in a burst of locally-sourced enthusiasm, last year). I found a great recipe online from Chef Anne Burrell of Food Network fame: Using a Dutch oven, I browned the shanks well in some olive oil; seasoned them with salt and pepper and set them aside; processed 3 carrots, 3 celerty stalks, 3 garlic cloves and a large onion into a rough paste, then transferred that into the frying pan and browned that mixture up. I added a jar (8 oz, I think) of tomato paste, stirred that around for about 5 minutes; added 2 cups of red wine, a bundle of 10 thyme sprigs and 2 TBS chopped fresh rosemary; returned the shanks to the pan and added 4 bay leaves (that's correct) and enough water to cover the meat (maybe it was water and wine;-)); put the pan into a 375 degree oven for about three hours, removing the top for the last half hour to get some nice browning on the meat. In the meantime I made a germolata of 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, zested lemon and a minced garlic clove; I sprinkled that over our servings. It was somewhat fussy, especially the veg blending at the beginning, but well worth it; incredibly rich and good; and the citrus/parsley really made it special; and the leftovers were even better.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Regarding the recipes suggested to us on the previous page by various people, sadly it looks as though space and temperature control issues will deprive us of home made sauerkraut - though the Japanese omelette with cabbage is a must-try.

However I've just picked nearly three pounds of cayenne, so the chilli-garlic sauce will be putting in an appearance this week, and we will probably be drying rather a lot of the things too.

Thanks for all the ideas!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The recipe that turned me from a cabbage-hater to a cabbage-lover was Delia Smith's sautéed cabbage with garlic and juniper berries - start by cooking a small chopped onion in some olive oil, add shredded cabbage (white or red), stir around, add a crushed clove of garlic and half a dozen crushed juniper berries. Dot it generously with butter, cover and cook on a low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Wonderful with baked ham or gammon.

For more juniper flavour, you could add a splash of GIN along with the butter.

Shouldn't have mentioned GIN - now I really want one but I haven't got any tonic ... [Frown]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:

However I've just picked nearly three pounds of cayenne, so the chilli-garlic sauce will be putting in an appearance this week, and we will probably be drying rather a lot of the things too.

Thanks for all the ideas!

AG

You also may be able to roast the peppers then freeze them.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I once tried a recipe for Savoy cabbage -- I think it was called Hungarian cabbage casserole, although I find the pedigree dubious -- that consisted of layers of salt-and-pepper-seasoned shredded cabbage and a cardiac-infarction-inducing quantity of fried bacon, moistened with a good splash of white wine and then baked until the cabbage was soft. It was very good; but what wouldn't be, with bacon and wine?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We once had a Russian-style cabbage pie for Christmas dinner, as the main dish, in place of the meat.

It sounds plain but it was wonderful.

I also like cabbage cooked with mushrooms.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

"Condemned food aisle" -- ROFL. At our local supermarket that's reserved for shelf-stable foods -- no meat or produce -- but I'm an avid bargain shopper there. Apparently they're paring down the inventory in the ethnic food aisles, so last week we got some great bargains on Italian and Mexican canned/jarred items; they weren't even past the sell-by date!)

We had roasted chicken for Sunday dinner. We pre-brined our chicken the night before with an uncooked brine: 1 gal. cold water; 3/4 cup kosher salt; 1/2 cup sugar (I used brown); 2 TBS cracked peppercorns; 3 bay leaves; 3 sliced garlic cloves; some thyme and rosemary. Not only does the brine season the chicken nicely (and it really is not as salty as what one might expect), but the herbal flavors do insinuate themselves right into the chicken. The biggest problem with brining is finding a container to hold the bird that will fit in the refrigerator.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
"Condemned food aisle" -- ROFL. At our local supermarket that's reserved for shelf-stable foods -- no meat or produce -- but I'm an avid bargain shopper there.

Around here, meat is put in a special section of the meat department when it has a sell-by date of the next day. If you cook it that day or freeze it, it's fine.

Every Sunday I go to early church and then to a supermarket which is much closer to church than it is to my home. I get lots of good meat cheap there.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bring out yer milk recipes!

Our neighbours gifted us their milk delivery as they were going away, plus we had our own. I now have 4.5 litres (mostly semi-skimmed). What savoury dishes can I make, and are there any, sweet or savoury, that would freeze?

So far, I have a milk loaf in the bread maker and I'll be doing a sort of gussied-up cauliflower cheese for dinner. I'll do something involving batter tomorrow. I'm not a terrific fan of quiche (which besides really needs cream).

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just started getting in to baking my own bread (no bread-maker) and was wondering if people have some different ideas, to just white or wholemeal. Yeast wise i'm using easy-blend dried stuff as it's easy to get hold of. In the supper-market you can buy just add water, interesting dough mix but I fancied having a go myself. Any ideas? (I'm particularly fancying some form of honey bread, but any ideas welcome.) I'm looking for actual recipes not just ideas as i'm not at the stage of being able to turn ideas in to recipes.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Chicken bacon?

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Chicken bacon?

Was in fact a mysteriously delayed reply to:

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
We had roasted chicken for Sunday dinner. We pre-brined our chicken the night before with an uncooked brine: 1 gal. cold water; 3/4 cup kosher salt; 1/2 cup sugar (I used brown); 2 TBS cracked peppercorns; 3 bay leaves; 3 sliced garlic cloves; some thyme and rosemary..

Which is a pretty standard sweet bacon curing mix (the more heavy-duty stuff will add saltpetre or some other nitrate)

--------------------
Ken

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Well, it's only an overnight soak in the fridge, LOL, although I suppose if one had a smoker it would be fairly easy to go to the next step.

The other day we were watching a foodie program on charcuterie -- people doing everything from corning their own beef to artisan sausage making/smoking -- and DP said, "Wouldn't that be fun to try?"

Um...uh...

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
I've just started getting in to baking my own bread (no bread-maker).

I do have a bread maker, so while I can tell you about all manner of breads, I don 't know how the recipes would translate to manual.

But a lot of the variations are simple substitution or addition. Eg, for Italian bread, replace the butter with olive oil. And wholemeal takes very well to the addition of seeds and nuts - I often do a pecan and maple syrup loaf. Couple of tbsps of coarsely ground walnuts or hazelnuts could probably go into your basic recipe without upsetting it too much.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

Apparently small-scale bacon curing is really easy. YOu can do it in the fridge. Basicallyoif you do what you did to the chicken to a lump of pork, and you leave it in the brine for a bit longer, you have bacon. Or gammon as we tend to call it here when it comes in big lumps instead of small slices.

Posher persons dry-cure and change the mix every day. Rub salt over the meat and leave it lying in a try of salt, some liquid leaks out, do it again, and it ends up, well, salted. You want nitrates for that inimitable mass-produced flavour, but most traditional farmhouse methods basically used ordinary salt and sugar.

Then you can go on to smoke it if you want - but not all bacon sold in shops as bacon is smoked anyway, maybe only about half.

--------------------
Ken

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I do have a bread maker, so while I can tell you about all manner of breads, I don 't know how the recipes would translate to manual.

But a lot of the variations are simple substitution or addition. Eg, for Italian bread, replace the butter with olive oil. And wholemeal takes very well to the addition of seeds and nuts - I often do a pecan and maple syrup loaf. Couple of tbsps of coarsely ground walnuts or hazelnuts could probably go into your basic recipe without upsetting it too much.

Thanks Firenze I Guess it's about having the confidence to play around. Also I think that there is not that much difference in recipes with not having a bread maker it's just I have to do the timings and kneading manually.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My favorite white bread recipe involves substituting buttermilk for the milk called for in the recipe. You need to add a teaspoon of baking soda to it.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Buttermilk is great in bread! There is something about it that keeps bread moist and fresh longer, at least in my experience. Don't mind if you don't like the taste of straight buttermilk. It's a different animal when used in baked goods.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

Is this any help?
Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's cooking with milk recipes.

Apart from that, erm, rice pudding? I bet Mrs Beeton had a load of recipes for milk puddings!

I get through loads of milk in cooking, but almost all in cheese sauce or custard. Apart from cauli cheese you could do pasta bake/lasagne/pastitio, fish pie etc.

I guess you don't have any rennet at hand to make junket... [Biased]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
Originally posted by Firenzed

A while back someone posted a rice pudding recipe made in a slow cooker. It was extremely good. I have mislaid the recipe, and I think the old recipe thread is in Oblivion. You can try searching there, or maybe someone else has kept the recipe.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Buttermilk is great in bread! There is something about it that keeps bread moist and fresh longer, at least in my experience. Don't mind if you don't like the taste of straight buttermilk. It's a different animal when used in baked goods.

A recipe from Lothlorien's brother did the rounds a couple of years ago:

2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons each of granulated yeast, salt and raw sugar
3 cups unbleached bakers plain (ie all purpose)flour
1 cup rye or soy or wholemeal flour
1 tablespoon gluten

Put all into a bread machine and run through the dough only cycle. At the end, have a floured sheet of baking paper on a baking tray. Scrape the dough out onto that, and scatter more flour over that. Make the dough into a torpedo shape, then make a near horizontal slice, most of the width of the loaf, around the loaf, about 1/3 of the way down. Bake in a 200 oven for 45 minutes or so. The dough will be very sticky. Note that quantities are for Aust flour, which is much stronger than French or English. You may need to experiment a bit, and to keep an eye on what's heppening in the machine - add a bit more flour or liquid if necessary.

My grandmother and mother always used buttermilk to make scones. There was a good reaction between the slight acidity of the milk and the rising agent in the self-raising (cake) flour.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

One of my favorite milk-based recipes: My mother's cream of potato soup. Fry up a lot of diced bacon; pour off most of the fat but use the remainder to fry diced onion and celery; peel and boil a fair number of potatoes; mash the potatoes, using a bit of reserved cooking water; add milk to desired soup consistency (note: soup thickens up when you store it in the fridge); add bacon and veg; season with salt,pepper and ground celery seed (or use celery salt and omit the plain salt); heat and serve. This is one of my very favorite "po' food" soups, and the perfect fix to a cold, sharp day. You can blend it if you wish, but personally I like the textural interest of the veg and bacon.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Cottontail's slow cooker rice pudding recipe

Rice Pudding (serves 6)

You absolutely need:
4 cups milk (full cream is nicest, but skimmed works well too)
1/3 cup pudding (shortgrain) rice
1/3 cup sugar
pinch salt

You might also add (all optional):
a knob of butter
1/2 cup sultanas or raisins
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Combine ingredients in slow cooker. Cook on High until milk is hot, then turn to Low and cook for about 2-2 1/2 hours. (alternatively boil the milk before you add it, or just wait a bit longer!) Check towards the end, stir, and add more milk if it is too thick. Personally, I like it really stodgy!

If cooking in the oven, butter the casserole dish. Cook at 160C for the same length of time.

From 19th August 2008

Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

The other day I saw, I think on YouTube, a video about how to make one's own cottage cheese using a slow cooker...we never have that much milk in our house, and it seemed a little too, erm, rustic to spend the whole day dealing with, but I think it's what our Amish friend Mary does with her excess milk; she always seems to have a pot of curds in the kitchen.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Well, that was educational.

I looked up a method for cottage cheese (basically 1 tbsp lemon juice per pint) which yielded about 1 tbsp of cheese from 3 pints. But a few slugs of vinegar and re-heating eventually sorted curds from whey.

So that's the milk problem solved, I just need some way of using up the cottage cheese...

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could do with some advice about restoring the texture of a once-in-a-lifetime tough rabbit.

It's my ultimate comfort family recipe for a simple stew, which usually results in tender meat which falls off the bone, but on this occasion needed a steak knife to hack it off.

It was fresh wild rabbit from a normally good butcher, and I was really looking forward to it, but now have three legs and the body to make more edible, and I have a horrible feeling that once tough, it stays tough. It's been slow cooked - would pressure cooking it do any good?

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Maybe mince the rabbit as fine as you can get it and then make it into a salad?

We had the same thing happen the other day with pork roast -- normally a moist cut -- and I'm still debating what to do with the stringy leftovers; I think I'll just shred the meat and mix it with lots of barbecue sauce and broth. (I have, BTW, heard of barbecued rabbit, even rabbit chili, among my hunting friends, although those are not my first choice of flavors for that particular meat.) Good luck!

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mincing has come to mind - but it's going to be fun (not!) getting the meat off the bone to do it!

I like to actually taste the rabbit - cooked with a bit of bacon and onion, and a large quantity of parsley at the end.

[ 23. October 2011, 11:44: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just to go back to the bread posts. Milk in bread - powder, fresh, buttermilk or whatever - gives a good crumb but a softer crust. If you're after a crusty bread, use water as the liquid, and if youre able to do so, a well soaked pizza sheet, or even a soaked terracotta pot will help with a good crust. You can even place a tray of boiling water in the oven. The idea's to get a lot of steam. The downside is that the bead does not last as long, even with olive oil in the dough.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dug up the last of my beetroot last week, and roasted the lot. We ate some of it as a side dish but I still had a bowlful in the fridge when the weather turned chilly, and Mr RoS started coughing and sneezing. A soup recipe was needed.
I like beets with orange juice so I looked up 'roasted beet and orange soup' online - and found this yummy recipe. It calls for blood oranges, which I did not have, but the supermarket 'basic' oranges worked just fine.
I had no idea what weight of beets were left, but I used the lot and kept juicing oranges and adding water until the thickness of the soup and the balance of flavours was right.

I will be buying beets throughout the winter to make more of this, as it was absolutely delicious!

[ 24. October 2011, 17:41: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, that does look good!

My usual beet routine is a Syrian Beet Salad from the Moosewood folks: you cube the beets, boil them, cool them, and toss them with olive oil, herbs, lemon juice, and spices. That soup sounds fabulous, though: I'll give it a try.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

I had beet on Sunday, slow-cooked into a vegetable stew.

Three smallish beetroots, a lump of celeriac left over from something else, two potatoes, and two parsnips (carrots would have done too as would swede). And also the compulsory and automatic slow-cooking vegetables: an onion, a few cloves of garlic, and a couple of sticks of celery, (there would have been mushroom as well if I had had any)

Cut into chunks about an inch across and slow-cooked for four hours in lots of water.

Along with a handful of split red lentils and a handful of one of those barley/oats/variousthings broth mix and a handful of frozen peas (which I warmed up first as cold stuff in slow cooker is not good)

Spiced up a little with the leaves off the celery (chopped very small), a little bit of chopped cabbage, some ground pepper, some dried sage, some cumin and coriander (not too much as I didn't want a curry) and the secret ingredients - don't knock it until you have tried it - a spoonfull of Marmite and some Chinese tea leaves. Pretty much any herbs or spices would do, though you want something like the Marmite to give some more body to the stock.

Because of the beetroot the result was a lovely bright red colour. I grated strong cheddar cheese over it and ate it with poppadums. And there was enough for three rather large meals in it...

If you have liquid left over it makes wonderful stock for soup. In fact its a pretty decent soup as it is.

And it is a stunning soup if you have cooked some meat in with it (whcih I didn't). Something like gammon or a bacon joint or a tough old ham is best because the sweetness of the vegetables gets into the meat and the saltiness of the meat seasons the vegetables.

(And a stew like that *is* sweet because onions and beet and carrots all have a surprising amopunt of sugar in them)

--------------------
Ken

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I tried growing celeriac this year; no go in my garden.:-( And it's hard to find here in the States except in big-box supermarkets. So it's a rare treat at our house.

Roasting beets -- love them that way. (If you use the golden ones, you also minimize the potential staining of hands/countertops.)

We also eat a lot of pickled beets.

I once put pickled beets in a cold sour-cream based potato salad, with onion and dill; I think I based my creation on a Russian recipe I'd found, but that had also called for herring...and I just wasn't going there.;-) Anyway, the salad tasted great, but when my mother remarked that it was the color of Pepto-Bismol I realized that the bright pink, especially in a savory dish, might be off-putting to some.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016