homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Dishy: the 2011 recipe thread. (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Dishy: the 2011 recipe thread.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Firenze:
quote:
Half a lemon (or lime or orange) jelly
[Confused]

Is this half a packet of flavored gelatin? The kind that makes clear, wiggly fruit flavored stuff?

Thanks!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sister used to love Carnation Milk on her strawberries; otherwise she was quite normal. [Big Grin]

Here in Newfoundland some people have it in their tea, especially if they come from "round the bay" (out of town). If you're at a Church Tea™ there's usually a jug of Carnation as well as one of proper milk and you need to be careful not to get the wrong one ... [Eek!]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Granny, who was French Canadian always had evaporated milk with her tea. I was an adult before I discovered people did things differently. Wouldn't do it now, of course, but I don't blink when people do.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Firenze:
quote:
[Confused]

Is this half a packet of flavored gelatin? The kind that makes clear, wiggly fruit flavored stuff?

Thanks!

Very likely. Rather rubbery and chewy. The idea is that you dissolve it in a pint or so of water to make a normal consistency gel.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A note for anyone within striking distance of a Lidl - they have some stainless steel/ceramic non-stick finish frying pans at the moment which I think are a snip.

I made a long-cook goulash in mine last night, and the residue just floated off.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Firenze:
quote:
[Confused]

Thanks!

Very likely. Rather rubbery and chewy. The idea is that you dissolve it in a pint or so of water to make a normal consistency gel.
I thought it likely. But here "jelly" is often a kind of fruit juice preserve, the commonest being grape jelly. And mostly used for peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made some good basic butternut squash soup yesterday. Many recipes for this are on the sweet side, with apples, maple syrup, that sort of thing. But this one is more savory, and it's very easy.

Basic Butternut Squash Soup

2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
2 medium onions. chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced, or chopped if you're lazy (I used 5)
32 oz chicken stock
Olive oil, cayenne pepper, S&P
Sour cream

Cook the onions and garlic in olive oil until they are soft. Add the squash and chicken stock. Sprinkle liberally with salt and ground black pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, although I think it was closer to 30 because I got involved in something else. So much for multi-tasking.

Remove from heat and let it sit for a few minutes so you don't burn yourself in the next step. Then, use a stick blender (or use a regular blender) until the soup has a nice creamy texture. In other words, get the lumps out but you aren't necessarily aiming for baby food. Add 1/2 tsp (more if you like) cayenne pepper and stir that in.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream. Reheats well.

(The original recipe suggested as an alternative roasting the vegetables in the oven, in a small amount of stock, until soft, then adding the rest of the liquid and blending. It says this will enhance the flavors. I might try that next time.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone a recipe/suggestion for a chutney containing limes? (Or one containing other citrus that could be substituted?)

It's almost time to start making Christmas gift goodies, and this idea came to me (in a dream?).

I've checked all the cookbooks I have to no avail.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
Has anyone a recipe/suggestion for a chutney containing limes?

Providing whoever's going to eat it likes spicy stuff, here's one.

3lb tomatoes
4 limes
couple of large onions
1lb light muscovado sugar
750ml cider vinegar
6 de-seeded & chopped red chillies
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Skin and chop tomatoes. Cut limes into quarters lengthwise, then slice the quarters thinly to make little quadrants. Chop the onions.
Tip the above into a pan, add the vinegar and sugar, stir well.
Add the rest of the ingredients, heat up and simmer until it's boiled down to the right consistency. This takes at least a couple of hours!
Once you've got the chutney ready, pour/spoon into sterilised jars and seal by your preferred method (we heat clean jars & lids in the oven for the last 20 min or so, then put hot chutney into hot jars and cover with hot lids).

We usually make this in a double quantity to use up most of our chilli crop (yes, 12 is often most of the crop!). It does come out spicy, but also sweet and noticeably citrus-tasting. Apologies for the mix of metric and imperial measurements, that's how the friend who gave us the recipe wrote it down (and cider vinegar is only sold in metric round here).

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone have a recipe for soft herring roe? I bought a herring for grilling, and it turned out to have some (rather than the hard, which I like). I really don't like the texture of the soft, so is there any way of cooking it to avoid the softness.

Oddly, I'm perfectly happy with the texture in sweet dishes like blancmange or panna cotta, but not in savouries.

Penny

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I put it on toast.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could have sworn I posted a reply to ken, commenting that that keeps the texture of what is on the toast.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

You know how sometimes the thrown together dish works really well?

Here's what to do if you find yourself alone with a squid, a red chili, a lime, sugar and a few red onions, and want dinner in 5 minutes.

Cut the squid in rings or strips and put in a bowl with the lime juice, sugar and sliced chili. Put a little oil or butter (or both) in a pan or wok and chuck in the onion cut in rings. Once they've softened, tip in the squid, chili and juice and give it a couple of minutes over high heat.

Pour over a couple of chunks of good bread - ciabatta or baguette.

[ 16. November 2011, 19:57: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

I'm very careful not to let myself be caught alone with a squid. Sneaky and aggressive little suckers them is. [Paranoid] [Biased]

(But I'm sure it was quite good marinaded and sauteed. [Smile] )

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On impulse I bought a huge spaghetti squash. I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. I know I could google it for recipes, but I prefer to ask my trusted friends...

What does one do with a spaghetti squash & what are your fave recipes?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bake it in your usual fashion and eat it like spaghetti, slurping up the stray strands. Loose your inner kid!

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dormouse, I've only had spaghetti squash once, but according to Veg Box Recipes you can use it in any recipe that calls for butternut.

Oh, and thanks for the reminder that I need to go and harvest the remaining squashes before the slugs completely ravage them!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
... you can use it in any recipe that calls for butternut.

Yes, though it would be a bit pointless in soup!

The fun thing is the fake spaghettiness of it all.

--------------------
Ken

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spaghetti squash was a great favorite at my house when the boys were little. The younger one loved his veggies, and the older one ate it because he loved spaghetti. I just cut it in half and steamed it. Spooning the yummy stuff into a bowl and adding a little salt and pepper and maybe a pat of butter made everyone happy!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We've had a real spaghetti squash glut this year, and I have got into the habit of giving Mr Ros one (or half of a huge one) for his lunch midweek.

The moderate sized ones I cut in half lengthways and removed the seeds, placed in a roasting tin cut side up, smeared with butter, sprinkled with mixed herbs and baked until tender. This was either a lunch on its own, with a little bread, or an accompaniment for whatever else the two of us might be having.

Now we are on the big ones (and I am fed up with them) I cut them in half across the middle, remove the seeds from the half I'm using, invert it on an ovenproof plate and bake until tender. Pull the strands loose, mix with a spoonful of pesto and top with grated cheese. The uncooked half keeps well upside down on a plate in the fridge for a week.

Luckily Mr RoS doesn't get bored with the same meal over and over again, as he's been having SS for lunch every Wednesday since the end of August, and we have another two and a half waiting to be used. Which should take him to Christmas. [Eek!]

If only my acorn squash would produce as prolifically as the SS, I would be a very happy gardener/cook!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend just dropped off six lbs of walnuts. They are fresh picked and need to dry out, and so I have them on Newspaper all over the floor near out wood stove, much to the great amusement of our cat.

I am going to can them with maple syrup to give as gifts, to use on waffles and ice cream.

My friend told me if you want to get unbroken nuts you should not use a nut cracker, but instead tap the shell with a hammer on the side of the nut not the seam. I tried one and it worked. Two nice whole nut pieces.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What can I do with a victoria sponge that broke into pieces getting it out of the tin? Please don't suggest making trifle because I hate it.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Invite 5 years-old to lunch or tea, Sparrow. Supply them with a large bowl each of ice-cream. Let them put as much cake on as they wish. Let them smoosh it all up with a fork. Sit back and watch the bliss.

(Or if you wish, you may become 5 years old for however long it takes to finish the ice-cream and cake)

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmmm .. I'm thinking maybe tiramisu.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Long ago I made a dessert which involved tearing angel food cake into pieces, putting it in a large bowl, and pouring chocolate pudding over it and allowing the pudding to become thick. It was very good.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

Isn't tiramisu just upper-class trifle? [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I think you use it as a kind of mattress at the bottom of the dish, add some sort of fruitoidal filling whose juices seep into the sponge, and top with cream.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another suggestion on spaghetti squash: Prick the outside of it with a fork and zap it in the microwave for 15 minutes. Then cut it open, scoop out the seeds and scrape out the spaghetti as per usual. I find microwaving it to be much less fuss than steaming it in the oven. Sometimes you have to use the big meat fork to prick the skin, though. And I serve it just like pasta, with spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese, sometimes adding in some browned ground turkey.

[ 23. November 2011, 13:08: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

Isn't tiramisu just upper-class trifle? [Big Grin]
No, it hasn't got the fruit or the custard, neither of which I like.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For our recent pre-Thanksgiving extended-fam meal -- because of the imminence of Thanksgiving dinners at other family members' homes and our kids' dislike of turkey, we went with a "surf and turf" menu of seafood and steak -- I made vegan baked beans; I initially wasn't crazy about the recipe just because of the given seasonings, but it turned out really well, and our family vegetarian and sympathizers gave them two thumbs up:

I used 2 1/2 cups of navy beans (any small white bean is fine) soaked overnight in 6 cups of water, then brought to a boil and simmered for maybe 20 minutes more, until fork-tender; I think at one point I added a little more water. In the meantime I sauteed 2 sweet onions, chopped fairly fine and 2 minced garlic cloves in olive oil just until the onions were soft. Into this I stirred 2 (8 ounce?) cans of tomato sauce, 1/3 cup each of molasses and brown sugar, 2 TBS cider vinegar, a teaspoon of dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon of dried ginger, and 1/4 teaspoons of black pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. (You can be a generous measurer of all these things.) I salted to taste also. I then poured this mixture over the undrained beans, then tranferred them to a bean pot and cooked them for 3 hours at 300 degrees. I thought that I'd miss the smoky meat flavor of traditional baked beans, but I didn't. (I'm thinking that some smoked paprika might be a good addition for people who insist on bean smokiness.)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sounds delicious LutheranChik. All it needs is to omit the salt and bury a ham hock or a good chunk of speck into it. Either would add some moisture to the beans as well.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maple Walnut Ice Cream:

Ingredients
1 cup Grade B maple syrup
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped

Preparation
Boil syrup in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderately high heat until reduced to 3/4 cup, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in cream, milk, and salt and bring to a boil over moderate heat.

Whisk eggs in a large bowl, then add hot cream in a slow stream, whisking. Transfer to saucepan and cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened and an instant-read thermometer registers 170°F, 1 to 2 minutes (do not let boil).

Pour custard through a fine sieve into a clean metal bowl, then cool, stirring occasionally. Chill, covered, until cold, at least 3 hours.

Freeze custard in ice-cream maker until soft-frozen, then, with motor running, add nuts. Continue churning ice cream until frozen, then transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

You could do all that, or, if you are in Canada pop over to your Laura Secord kiosk. Much easier, and they usually have it in stock.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

For the broken sponge - use it for something like bread and butter pudding. Put the pieces in a buttered dish, add dried grapes of some sort, or jam, or marmalade, or some sort of preserved fruit, whatever attracts you (I think it would need to have some sort of sharp flavour), cover with an egg and milk (or cream) custard, and bake until the custard is set and slightly browned. (This probably has a name like diplomat pudding, or something.)

Or a variant on Queen of Puddings (Waitrose does one using cake rather than bread). Crumb the cake and mix with the custard (made with the egg yolks only, but lemon zest added), bake to set, but not brown. Spread with jam, and top with meringue from the egg whites. Bake in a slow oven to set and brown the meringue.

Penny

[ 25. November 2011, 08:36: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

I hobbled together another Thanksgiving dinner for my dad and a friend. This year I bought a fresh turkey breast and decided to brine it. I used a very simple 1:16 salt to water with brown sugar and bay leaves, buttered the skin, and cooked it at 325F until it reached 175F on the meat thermometer poked in the thickest part of the meat.

It was pretty disappointing, actually. It was moist, but in a rather rubbery, spongy way. And it didn't have much flavor. I like the taste of turkey. Does one have to amp up the herbs to cover the lack of flavor? Any thoughts would be appreciated. [Frown]

--------------------

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since the Christmas hospitality season is very close by, here is my recipe for fudge; it takes less than 3 minutes to prepare when using the microwave, although it must be cooled for 2 hours after preparation.

CHOCOLATE FUDGE
(72 Servings)

Ingredients
3 cups (18 oz.) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand® Sweetened Condensed Milk
Dash salt
1/2 to 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 1/2 tsps. vanilla extract

Directions
Line 8- or 9-inch square pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan.
Melt chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk and salt in heavy saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
Chill 2 hours or until firm. Remove from pan by lifting edges of foil. Cut into squares. Yield: About 2 pounds.

MICROWAVE METHOD
Combine chocolate chips with sweetened condensed milk and salt in 1-quart glass measure. Cook on HIGH (100% power) 3 minutes or until chips are melted, stirring after 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients. Proceed as above.

VARIATIONS
CREAMY DARK CHOCOLATE FUDGE: Melt 2 cups miniature marshmallows with chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk. Proceed as above.

MILK CHOCOLATE FUDGE: Omit 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. Add 1 cup milk chocolate chips. Proceed as above.

CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER CHIP GLAZED FUDGE: Follow above recipe using 3/4 cup peanut butter chips instead of nuts. For glaze, melt 1/2 cup peanut butter chips with 1/2 cup heavy cream. Stir until thick and smooth. Spread over chilled fudge.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I do like those fudge recipes that don't call for faffing around with a candy thermometer and beating for precisely the right number of seconds or it doesn't work. The trouble is, that although it should make 72 "servings", I would have any one of those eaten in 3 days.
Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"faffing" is such a good verb

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Edgeman
Shipmate
# 12867

- Posted      Profile for Edgeman   Email Edgeman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Most vegetarians live quite happily without ever seeing a brick of tofu. There are other sources of protein other than meat or faux meat.

I have never been able to stomach tofu. Seitan either, unless it's cooked in something very flavorful like an Indian dish.

[ 26. November 2011, 14:26: Message edited by: St.Silas the carter ]

--------------------
http://sacristyxrat.tumblr.com/

Posts: 1420 | From: Philadelphia Penns. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I recently bought the Great British Bake Off book from the book seller who comes into the office. There is a really easy fruitcake recipe in it, and, with a little bit of guidance, Lord P made it this afternoon. It is a really nice cake!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am desperately trying to use up stuff that's been hanging around in the freezer, in order to make space for Christmas goodies, and today I had defrosted a piece of pork tenderloin that had been in there over a year.
Looking for a nice simple recipe to use I discovered one for tenderloin in a sloe-gin and cream sauce - and I just happen to have in the cupboard a bottle of sloe gin I made about five years ago.
The resulting dish had quite an unusual taste - but unusual in the sense of 'absolutely delicious'
That one is going in the recipe folder for future use!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

For the second year running the celeriac in my garden has been to small and woody to be of any use, so I couldn't resist buying one when I saw huge ones for sale at a market a few miles away.
I got it home and put it on the scales - it weighed 4lb, so I am going to get plenty of meals from it.

Yesterday I made celeriac and apple soup from a quarter of it. Mr RoS and I will have that for lunch today, and three double portions have gone in the freezer. I will make a remoulade with a chunk tomorrow, and use another quarter to try out a new recipe I've found for a celeriac and ginger soup.
With the remaining chunk I will make some oh-so-trendy celeriac mash.
Seems a bargain for £1

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

quote:
Originally posted by St.Silas the carter:
quote:
Most vegetarians live quite happily without ever seeing a brick of tofu. There are other sources of protein other than meat or faux meat.

I have never been able to stomach tofu. Seitan either, unless it's cooked in something very flavorful like an Indian dish.
I quite agree with you. What the heck is Seitan?

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Missed the edit window. Re Saitan, I am sure it is quite tasty, but I have been a vegetarian for a long time and I have never heard of it. Nor does it appear to be part of proper Indian cooking. It must be a US thing. I don't think it is a good thing to overdose on wheat gluten.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Per request on the bread thread: Whole Wheat Potato Bread.

Re holiday leftovers: We are bravely eating our way through our turkey...last night I made turkey tetrazzini, a popular American vehcile for repurposing turkey. It's basically spaghetti mixed with a creamy base amended with sherry, mushrooms and pimentos (or, alternatively, peas), topped with buttered crumbs and baked. I used a lower-fat recipe that included fat-free sour cream, lowfat milk and low fat/low sodium cream of chicken soup. I also added celery. We were happy with the results...but the time has come to freeze the remainder of the bird, so today is "picking" day.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
For the second year running the celeriac in my garden has been to small and woody to be of any use...

Celeriac is HARD to grow. I grew it last year in my regular veg bed which does tend to the dry and sandy, and it didn't do well. So this year we dug new beds in the wet and boggy part of the garden and planted it there. It didn't do well, they are all about a quarter of the size they should be. On the other hand, I do have about 20 usable roots sitting in the laundry room waiting to be cleaned and trimmed. Unfortunately they all have about triple their own weight in muck on them.

/putting it off.

Fortunately even if they are small they are a good texture and flavour. Will be looking for lots of things to do with them.

Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

quote:
Missed the edit window. Re Saitan, I am sure it is quite tasty, but I have been a vegetarian for a long time and I have never heard of it. Nor does it appear to be part of proper Indian cooking. It must be a US thing. I don't think it is a good thing to overdose on wheat gluten.

No, it's Chinese/Japanese. And Vietnamese Buddhists (vegetarians) also use it a lot. It's probably a better thing in the context of those types of diets traditionally, since it would be balanced by rice rather than (more) bread.
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Ferdzy:
Celeriac is HARD to grow.

It's supposed to be easy to grow - easier than celery, anyway.
I've never bothered to try celery, being on flinty clay, and just tried celeriac out of curiosity. Got small but useable ones the first year, and enjoyed the taste, but nothing fit to eat since.
I blame it on the weather [Biased]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ok, in a fit of enthusiasm (translation: multibuy offer) I bought several tins of various beans. I think I've got black-eye beans, borlotti beans, and quite possibly haricot beans.

Any suggestions as to what I do with them now? Vegetarian suggestions are particularly welcome. (I note LutheranChik's baked beans earlier in the thread, but have also have canned baked beans so...)

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

That's a fit of enthusiasm? Its probably my normal monthly shop. Plus tins of processed peas of course, and butter beans sometimes and best of all broad beans!

Anyway - black-eye beans are one of the few originally African foods we eat much of, and they are big in the Caribbean as well, so if you want to be traditional use them in a West African or West Indian type recipe. One of the nicest Nigerian dishes based on them is moi-moi, which is a sort of spicy bean paste but that involves peeling the beans first so you probably don't want to do that! The most usual way to eat beans in those regions is with rice.

You can do a basic rice-and-beans by frying an onion and a few cloves of garlic and perhaps a chopped-up peppers in oil in the pan you are going to put the rice in, then adding a large cup of basmati or long-grain rice, twice as much of water (or stock) as rice, and your tin of beans (drained of its liquid - if you want to you can add it to the stock) The idea is that there should be about twice as much liquid by volume as rice, or maybe just a little less. Strir it with a wooden spoon or spatula once or twice to mix everything up, bring it to the boil, then turn the heat down to a very low simmer and put a lid on the pot. Cook it for between five and ten minutes (the exact time doesn't matter) then remove from the heat but leave the lid on for another ten or fifteen minutes. Even twenty does no harm. Don't look in the pot or stir it - believe it or not the rice is less likely to stick if you leave it alone.

That's the basic dish, and you can spice it up in different ways. If you want to give it a Caribbean flavour use coconut milk as part of the liquid, or grate some fresh (or even desiccated) coconut into the stock just before you add it. And perhaps add some chopped-up hot peppers such as chilis or Scotch Bonnet (be very careful of those if you aren't used to them!) and herbs such as thyme and parsley. Rice with coconut milk will look prettier if you use red or black kidney beans; the pale yellowy-grey colour of black-eyed beans looks rather dull in the creamy coconut rice. For some reason Jamaicans call this "rice and peas" whatever kind of legume you use in it, rather than "rice and beans".

I have read - but I haven't tried it myself - that in the southern USA rice and beans is usually cooked with small amounts of chopped bacon or ham, (again they would be fried in the pan with onions first) and eaten with greens such as kale or mustard tops. But its the same basic dish.

For a more West African style add a generous dollop of tomato paste, to give something approximating Jollof rice. You can also use chicken stock, or add cut-up bits of chicken to the frying onion, or even leftovers from last night's stew Real vegetarians can use a veggie stock cube, which is at least cheap, and maybe parsley or other green hersbs. Some Nigerians would add dried shrimps or crayfish powder, and various intense peppery spices, almost as hot as the ones Jamaicans would use. You can also add finely chopped carrots or cabbage or a few slices of okra, green beans, perhaps even spinach or kale, chopped sweet peppers, a little bit of curry powder.

Or the basic recipe can be given a more Indian feel by using butter rather than oil to fry the onion, and a few curry-style spices to taste. It looks lovely if you add some turmeric to turn the whole thing yellow, and again some green or red bits to provide some colour contrasts - chopped carrot or red or green pepper, or chopped cucumber, or a few green peas (frozen will do fine). Saffron is expensive and posh but does make it wonderful. Though it seems strange to use to world's most expensive spice to flavour what is pretty much the everyday cheap staple dish of a third of the planet.

Or South-East Asian with coconut (again), some kind of seafood, maybe lemon grass, ginger, galangal, ...

(If you are cooking the beans from scratch rather than using tinned ones you need to soak them for a few hours, drain them of water, boil them hard for ten minutes, drain that water away and add more, and then simmer until almost soft - which can be anything from twenty minutes to an hour and a half depending in the variety of beans - most take about forty-five minutes if pre-soaked and boiled)

[ 29. November 2011, 12:45: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016