homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Dishy: the 2011 recipe thread. (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Dishy: the 2011 recipe thread.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What ken said re: beans and rice. We make that with red beans at our house. I'd just add a nice rounded spoonful of cumin.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Almost burnt onions with black-eyed beans and wilted silver bet (swiss chard) served on rice. The seasoning can be sumac, ze-atar, a general Lebanese spice mix - but don't overdo it. Delicious hot or cold, and very easy to make.

Or a couple of drained 440 g cans of your choice of beans with 1 of chopped tomatoes, all stirred into melted onions and garlic with plenty of thyme, served on pasta with some freshly shaved parmesan is a great lunch, and again very easy to make.

Both of these can also be used as a first course before something like a slice of terrine, some good ham, or a hot meatloaf. Follow with a green salad and a plate of fruit, and there's a nutritious and well-flavoured meal. It can be put together very quickly after you get a phone call to say half the team is coming back to lunch after the game.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The black-eyed peas dish that I'm familiar with is Hopping John. It is traditionally eaten on New Year's Day.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, we've just tried medlars for the first time. How bizarre! They definitely taste of cooked apple, but there's also a hint of something fruitier (than an apple? What are you on about?) - like blackberry in fact. So there you go, it's like a blackberry and apple crumble wrapped up in a weird rotten fruit.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
The black-eyed peas dish that I'm familiar with is Hopping John. It is traditionally eaten on New Year's Day.

Moo

With cornbread! [Big Grin] Yum!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Medlars -- I'm interested in those as a gardener more than as a cook, although I'm afraid they're not entirely hardy in Zone 5.

The "moosh" factor reminds me of the feral pears with multitudinous tiny fruit that used to grow on our neighbors' property, back when I was a farm kid. I never had the opportunity to enjoy them, but my father said that when he was young he and his friends used to raid these trees. He noted that they were delicious, but only edible after a couple of hard frosts, when the fruit started turning black and soft.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Medlars -- I'm interested in those as a gardener more than as a cook, although I'm afraid they're not entirely hardy in Zone 5.

The "moosh" factor reminds me of the feral pears with multitudinous tiny fruit that used to grow on our neighbors' property, back when I was a farm kid. I never had the opportunity to enjoy them, but my father said that when he was young he and his friends used to raid these trees. He noted that they were delicious, but only edible after a couple of hard frosts, when the fruit started turning black and soft.

LutheranChik,
I just looked at your potato bread recipe. Have you tried it with less sugar? 3 tablespoons seems way over the top to me. I sometimes put sugar in my bread making, but often don;'t and everything works just fine. Three's enough to feed the yeast without adding any, I find. Just asking. Then again, I don't put sugar in drinks and prefer savoury to sweet.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
DP likes things on the sweet side so I follow the recipe as given, but I don't imagine that cutting down on the sugar would drastically affect the quality of the bread.

It might be interesting to make a sponge -- i/o/w proof the yeast in the liquid and the sugar, then add a cup or two of the flour, cover the bowl with a towel and set it aside in a warm place for awhile to "work" -- before finishing the recipe. My grandmother always made bread with a sponge, and it always had a perfect, fine crumb. When I'm making all wholegrain bread I like to add this step, too; I think it helps strengthen the gluten.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
DP likes things on the sweet side so I follow the recipe as given, but I don't imagine that cutting down on the sugar would drastically affect the quality of the bread.

It might be interesting to make a sponge -- i/o/w proof the yeast in the liquid and the sugar, then add a cup or two of the flour, cover the bowl with a towel and set it aside in a warm place for awhile to "work" -- before finishing the recipe. My grandmother always made bread with a sponge, and it always had a perfect, fine crumb. When I'm making all wholegrain bread I like to add this step, too; I think it helps strengthen the gluten.

Thanks for the reply. I've made bread for very many years now, starting with hot cross buns when I was ten.

I used to make a sponge with fresh yeast but rarely with dried stuff. I haven't found any difference. I knead it for quite a while in the Kitchenaid and prior to that I used a big Kenwood mixer.

These days, I put dough in a big container and put it in fridge and leave for up to 10-12 days. I keep back a bit of each mix to add to next lot of dough as a starter.

Lots of good recipes in River Cottage complete bread book. If you look at this book be aware there are two editions. One British the other American.. Not expensive, it has about 70 pages of very readable theory before the recipes. Available from my favourite English bookseller which has free worldwide postage and prices for books are more than comparable with USA resellers.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yesterday I went to a neighbour's for a meal and we had this amazing yummy vegan chocolate pudding. I shall be cooking this next time I have people around.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Well, we've just tried medlars for the first time. How bizarre! They definitely taste of cooked apple, but there's also a hint of something fruitier (than an apple? What are you on about?) - like blackberry in fact.

Our local organic shop had a peculiar fruit the other week: they'd ordered medlars, but received these things - obviously part of the rose family (like medlars, apples etc), since they were not unlike large green haws. They had flesh like a pear in texture, with a sweeter, pulpier seedier centre. The tasted quite unlike anything else. I misremember the name - something like ferijoa? - I couldn't trace them on Google. Anyone recognise them?
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are they quinces ?
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Feijoa, presumably. I love them - once I start to eat them I can't stop. Never seen them eaten except by kiwis, though!

Are these them?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Incidentally, I believe they have separate male and female plants - but doubt they'd grew in Firenze's neck of the woods anyway.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
not unlike large green haws.

How large?
They don't sound quite like true quinces (Cydonia), which are yellow, apple-sized or larger and have very hard, fragrant flesh.
They could possibly be japanese quince (chaenomeles) which is a common flowering shrub. It's fruit can be used like cydonia, and I have made 'quince' jelly from it in the past, but the flavour is inferior.

[ 30. November 2011, 09:33: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Feijoa, presumably. I love them - once I start to eat them I can't stop. Never seen them eaten except by kiwis, though!

Are these them?

That's the one!

I see the wikipedia articles says they can be grown (just) as far north as western Scotland - which is presumably where the one I had came from, since the shop's ethos is to buy local and organic.

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made this yesterday: Stuffed squash with leeks , having seen it on River Cottage Veg on Sunday.

I added mushrooms as I had tons to use up, a mixture of English and grainy mustard, and cheddar instead of Fosse Way Fleece cheese - not having any to hand! Anyway, it was delicious, although slightly sweet for me. I reckon the ewes' milk cheese would have cut the sweetness, and more black pepper would have helped too. Yum!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Re strange fruit (not the song or the book)...when we were in Ann Arbor earlier this year we stopped in Zingerman's Deli -- a foodie mecca that draws customers from all over the country, and where lines regularly form out the door and into the street -- and by the time we slowly shuffled our way into the second building of the complex, where they sell dessert-y snacks and hot/cold drinks, I noticed that they were selling pawpaw gelato at their ice cream counter. Pawpaws are a native American fruit -- the tree is the only temperate-climate representative of a tropical species -- and the southern tiers of Michigan counties are at the nothernmost edge of their natural range. They're an oblong, banana-looking fruit that, like medlars, are ripe when they look half-rotten, and they're said to have a wonderful, creamy flavor. It is exceedingly rare to ever see pawpaws or pawpaw products in a shop, although I understand various plant breeders are trying to develop a commercial market for the fruit. (Pawpaws have some picky growing requirements, and the fruit doesn't handle well. I wonder where Zingerman's got their supply of pawpaw puree.)

Having said all that...I didn't partake in pawpaw gelato this day because the line at the ice cream counter was just too long. I still regret it.

[ 30. November 2011, 12:29: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't realise that there was a North American tree called pawpaw. I'm used to "pawpaw" as an alternative name for the tropical papaya (not my favourite fruit, boring like a melon)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With you on papaya, ken. For me the problem is the weird sensations that the enzymes make in my mouth and the cloying sweet taste.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Papaya is transformed by a squeeze of lime juice - totally lifts it.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hmm. If I'm given a spare papaya, I'll have to try that. Lime does lovely things to many dishes.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having resisted the temptation for a number of years, the Christmas Goose thread has finally worn me down, and today I ordered a goose for our Christmas dinner.
Now I need advice on cooking it!

I've ordered one of about 4kg, and the butcher is going to bone it for me. I will stuff and roll it myself, but have no idea how to progress from then on - cooking method? time? temperature ?etc.
Please help.
(I haven't yet decided what to stuff it with, either)

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
Having resisted the temptation for a number of years, the Christmas Goose thread has finally worn me down, and today I ordered a goose for our Christmas dinner.
Now I need advice on cooking it!

I've ordered one of about 4kg, and the butcher is going to bone it for me. I will stuff and roll it myself, but have no idea how to progress from then on - cooking method? time? temperature ?etc.
Please help.
(I haven't yet decided what to stuff it with, either)

Saint Julia has you roast a boned goose in a pastry crust.

Zach

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:

Goose Wellington?

Who's Saint Julia? I only know Saint Delia.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

The usual advice with (unboned) goose is to start the oven around 400 degrees F (sorry that my Centigrade translation skills aren't what they used to be)...pop the goose in for an hour to render much of the fat and keep the skin crispy, take the bird out and siphon off the fat, then turn the heat down to 325 degrees and keep roasting until a meat thermometer in the thigh or other meaty area registers about 180-185 degrees. I'm not sure how deboning the bird would change the temps/times.

We made far less fancy food today...we had an open house at the antique mall where we keep a booth and were asked to bring cocktail meatballs, so we browned frozen ready-made meatballs in the oven, then covered them with a mixture of chili sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice and cranberry sauce (we actually used our homemade cranberry sauce, which is just 1 part water, 1 part sugar, 4 parts cranberries, a couple of small, very thinly sliced clementines and pinches of cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg). Here's the original recipe, scaled back to household size:

1 bag of frozen premade meatballs
1 can cranberry sauce, jellied or whole-berry, or equivalent amount of homemade sauce
1 bottle chili sauce
1 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS brown sugar
2 TBS lemon juice

Brown meatballs in oven according to package directions. Place in crockpot. Mix other ingredients, pour over meatballs and stir to cover completely. Keep crockpot on LOW; serve when sauce is warm.

(The leftovers, BTW, if there are any, are tasty over egg noodles.)

Personally I love the addition of clementines or regular seedless oranges and wouldn't skip that step...just remember to slice them paper-thin so all that citrus goodness melts into the rest of the ingredients.

Not sure if "chili sauce" translates across the ponds...it's simply an extra spicy, extra thick tomato ketchup. Regular ketchup would be fine.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:

Goose Wellington?

Who's Saint Julia? I only know Saint Delia.

Julia Child, of Beck, Bertholle and Child Mastering the Art of French Cookery - 2 volumes absolutely essential for any cook.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have your potato whole wheat bread in the bread machine, LutheranChik.

I normally use Kitchenaid but thought I'd use the bread machine to try it out as that's what is suggested. However I cut the sugar severely. Can't imagine using three tablespoons, even allowing for difference in spoon sizing down here. The amount of yeast seemed higher than I'm used to, but that's what I have used.

Will let you know how it goes. I looked at the comments. Several decidedly for the recipe and one person who had used both machine and hand method and didn't like either.

--------------------

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mastering the Art of French Cooking is only the fifth Gospel.

Anyway, I was wrong on the pastry crust. Julia has you cook boned duck in a pastry crust. She doesn't have a recipe for boned goose, but she either roasts a bone-in bird stuffed with prunes and foie-gras, or braises it stuffed with chestnuts and sausage. She also suggests apples and sausage as a possibility.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Fruity stuffings pair well with either duck or goose -- apples, dried cherries, pears, oranges, etc. Fruit and aromatic herbs help, I think, moderate the fatty richness of the meat.

Interesting to see Gordon Ramsay's Christmas goose recipe, which uses citrus, traditional aromatic herbs and then also the sweeter five-spice powder.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Hmm. If I'm given a spare papaya, I'll have to try that. Lime does lovely things to many dishes.

Papaya tastes like soap unlimed. But the squeezed lime transforms it into something delectable

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I've more or less decided on apples and prunes for the stuffing.
There's not much about cooking a boned goose on the www, but what there is seems to advocate wrapping it tightly in foil or cling film and cooking it in a waterbath to start with, transferring it to the oven, and when it's done letting it rest thoroughly.

Opinions vary as to times for each stage, and on oven temps, but in the absence of any authoritative recipe from an experienced Ship's Cook I will make myself an amalgamation of what's online - one that suits my inclinations and fits in with all the other stuff I'll be cooking.
And keep my fingers crossed that it's ready to eat at the same time as everything else!

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Here's the sour rye bread recipe I'd mentioned earlier. We prefer dilly rye, so I swap dillweed or dill seed for the caraway.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Them as knows about chilis (chiliasts?)- can you substitute Scotch Bonnet for Jalapeno ad lib? The latter are ubiquitous in the shops, but don't tend to be very hot. I got some of the SB in the Chinese grocer and made jerk pork - and very nice it was too. But virtually every SB recipe I could find was for some variant of jerk seasoning.

Is there anything else you can make with Scotch Bonnet?

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I substitute scotch bonnet peppers for nearly everything going, if that's all that's available. For heat, I chop up fine and leave the seeds in. If it is still too mild, I add a couple of pinches of pure chili powder.

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
I substitute scotch bonnet peppers for nearly everything going...

And you still have mucous membranes?

The first time I used one it hurt my fingers to handle them when they were cut. Genuinely. I didn't dare go to the toilet for hours.

Hotter than what is sold as "chili powder" here. And *much* hotter than jalapenos, not in the same class.

--------------------
Ken

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by ken:

The first time I used one it hurt my fingers to handle them when they were cut.

Disposable catering gloves (bulk buy 'em in Costco).

I know Scotch Bonnets are a lot hotter than Jalapeños (that's the attraction), but it's the matter of flavour rather than heat. A lot of dishes in my Indian cookbooks use green chili. My Tex Mex specifies chipotle or ancho as well as Jalapeño. Would these dishes be markedly different with SBs - other than hotter?

Conversely, are there dishes, other than the ubiquitous jerk, that actually specify Scotch Bonnet.

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

The chipotle have a very unique flavor that comes from being smoked, so I don't think a substitution will work for them, at least not unless you're adventurous enough to try smoking your own Scotch bonnets. (And after my attempt to blacken ancho chiles in the oven for chiles rellenos I suspect that such a project would send the cook to the emergency room with 2nd degree capsicum burns in the lungs!)

Anyway, I thought that Scotch bonnets, other than in tiny quantities were hot to the point of near-inedibility. Those and the tiny wild chiltepin (sp?) peppers, which I think fly right off the Scoville chart.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I had a whole, deseeded one in the jerk spice paste - it was agreeably hot, but not excessive.

Tasting notes on the 'net suggest they have a fruity flavour, which is something I would like to exploit.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

Yes, ken, I agree that chili powder as sold in England and in North America is extremely mild; when I refer to chili powder, I refer to properly milled dried red chilies (a level teaspoon will bring tears to your eyes)

I also wear hand protection. If I don't I avoid touching my face until I can wash hands thoroughly and apply lotion, if needed

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I also wear hand protection. If I don't I avoid touching my face until I can wash hands thoroughly and apply lotion, if needed

And double warning if you wear contact lenses. Voice of experience here.

I've just posted my recipe for Chocolate Pudding Bites on my blog. Made (and photographed) my first batch for the year today. Taking a plate of them to a function tonight!

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I've more or less decided on apples and prunes for the stuffing.
There's not much about cooking a boned goose on the www, but what there is seems to advocate wrapping it tightly in foil or cling film and cooking it in a waterbath to start with, transferring it to the oven, and when it's done letting it rest thoroughly.

Opinions vary as to times for each stage, and on oven temps, but in the absence of any authoritative recipe from an experienced Ship's Cook I will make myself an amalgamation of what's online - one that suits my inclinations and fits in with all the other stuff I'll be cooking.
And keep my fingers crossed that it's ready to eat at the same time as everything else!

As for cooking a goose, I usually don't bother with a bread stuffing or similar, as when cooked, it's inedible because of the fat. You could certainly stuff the cavity with either fruit or veg (carrot, onion, etc), but I wouldn't then try to eat that.

The cooking itself is a standard roast, as is, in in the oven at 350 F. After an hour or so, take off as much of the fat as you can. My training was to leave a bird in for 20 minutes per pound at 350F and that seems to work well, though with some ovens you have to add a little time. Because a goose is bonier than a chicken or turkey, I'd think it might cook a little faster...you'd want to watch it towards the end of cooking time.

I think I'd avoid making gravy the usual way I make it, and just serve the pan joices, possibly lightened with wine or fruit.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mr Curly, they look delicious!
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

A good way to get lots of flavour from a chilli with tang but not excess heat is to fry one whole with the onions, garlic and spices then remove before adding the meat. Proceed then accordance with the recipe. Careful with touching something like a Scotch Bonnet with you bare hands though.

--------------------

UCCLynn
Apprentice
# 16633

- Posted      Profile for UCCLynn   Email UCCLynn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This post is in response to the chilihead thread. (I haven't read how to quote yet, sorry). As everyone has already observed how hot SBs are, I would echo LutheranChik's opinion that substituting SB for chipotle would lose the smoky part of the smoky-hot equation. But, if you love and can handle the heat of SBs [Overused] I would recommend that you look for Adobo sauce. When I lived in a city, I found these markets fairly common. The adobo sauce was in the Filapino food section. This seems a much safer and surer way to get that kick.

I am at work and don't have access to it but in a pan-Asian cookbook that I bought several years ago, published by an Australian publisher, there were several recipes that called for SB. I was so jazzed that I bought some SBs at the Asian market near me and thought I would absolutely die. And my hands, through the plastic bag I was using to handle them, burned like they had dipped in acid.

Good luck on your quest.

Lynn

Posts: 27 | From: Central Illinois, USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Yes, ken, I agree that chili powder as sold in England and in North America is extremely mild...

I meant the opposite. I'm talking about the "Extra hot ground chillies" imported from India that I bought from the corner shop - run by and mainly for Tamils, so used to hotter food than the typical Indian cookery we see here. Its a coarse-grained hot mix with a lot of broken seeds in it. The point is that the Scotch Bonnet peppers from the West Indian stalls in the market are even hotter than that.

Jalapenos are just not the same thig at all. They are really at the hotter end of peppers to be eaten whole, rather than to be used as a spice.

--------------------
Ken

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sweets are not something that I in general am interested in. Today my neighbor gave me some homemade caramels sprinkled with corse sea salt. Heaven.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
a goose is bonier than a chicken or turkey,

This one won't be.

--------------------

Mr Curly

Off to Curly Flat
# 5518

- Posted      Profile for Mr Curly   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martha:
Mr Curly, they look delicious!

Why, thank you. Do have a go at them, and tell us how you went.

mr curly

--------------------
My Blog - Writing, Film, Other Stuff

Posts: 2645 | From: Curly Flat | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:
Since the Christmas hospitality season is very close by, here is my recipe for fudge; it takes less than 3 minutes to prepare when using the microwave, although it must be cooled for 2 hours after preparation.

I have made your recipe, Silver Faux, and it seems to be quite the hit! (I actually cooled mine for a couple of days before I cut it into squares.)

This fudge recipe is a keeper...especially if a cook doesn't want to spend a large chunk of time stirring and checking the candy thermometer.

[forgot to add the link]

[ 10. December 2011, 23:42: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016