homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Dishy: the 2011 recipe thread. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  14  15  16 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Dishy: the 2011 recipe thread.
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
quote:
Originally posted by TubaMirum:

(I think "fancy flour" is, like, cool, groovy, flour. Like (in the US) the King Arthur brand rather than Pillsbury. Perhaps it's a higher grade of wheat? I have no idea why KA is cooler than other kinds. "Fancy flour" = "more expensive flour," in my experience. It does taste good, but I only get it when it's on sale.)

King Arthur is unbleached as a rule. They also have a good reputation for consistent high quality. I started using it a year or two back after seeing it recommended on a number of baking sites.
They also have a kind of road show/demo thing going, which I have attended. It was interesting, and you get a dough scraper and some coupons and things when you go.

I just used KA, in fact, while making bagels; it was on sale. While it is good, I didn't notice that these were extra-delicious as compared to the last batch. Of course, I was experimenting with the ratio of white/whole wheat so there were other factors happening at the same time.

There are other kinds of groovy flour, of course - Bob's Red Mill and the like. One of the reasons I bake, though, is to save money! Bagels cost about $1 a dozen to make, BTW - how's that for markup at your local bagel shop where they approach $10/doz. these days? Cinnamon rolls are a couple of bucks a dozen, as compared to the $24 or so it's possible to spend to buy them.

I'm generally just cheap, IOW - and actually quite broke at the moment as well - so can't bring myself to go high-end most of the time. If you ever frequent The Fresh Loaf you'll find lots and lots of recommendations for groovy flour! It's all very interesting, but I especially like it at $2 per 5 pounds or less. (Unbleached, of course!)

[ 11. January 2011, 17:07: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At our house we -- inspired by our recent trip to SoCal -- are all about fish tacos. These can't seem to develop much traction here in Michigan, even though we have our own delicious Great Lakes fish that could easily be substituted for ocean species. (I think when the average diner hear sees "fish taco" a menu they picture fish slathered in typical Tex-Mex taco sauce and cheese.)

For the uninitiated...they're basically just fried or grilled fish in a soft tortilla with slaw of one kind or another, usually dressed with a lime-y/citrusy dressing. They're very light and tasty.

And if you wanted to change things up a little, in the Asian spirit of the recently popularized Korean tacos -- we had an appetizer the other week of I think mahi-mahi marinated/rubbed with lime, ginger and soy flavors, served on skewers with sweet chili sauce on the side. These morsels were soooo good...I can certainly imagine them served inside a tortilla with a Chinese-cabbage slaw, maybe some radish and cucumber, etc.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't have the recipe yet but I have to share this - Mrs E brought back from home a condiment made from grinding cashew nuts, mustard seeds a pinch of sugar and some vinegar together. Her sister made it on a flat mortar but we might try in the smallest jar of the blender. It was superb!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When you get the recipe, please post it: sounds excellent!

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not exactly a recipe question, but food related.... I finally managed to get the lid off a jar of pumpkin and ginger jam that I made in 2005, and it tastes a little musty. Should I be worried about this?
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The thing is, if it tastes unpleasant, it tastes unpleasant, whether six months old or six years.

Life is too short to eat nasty jam.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
KGlet1's birthday cake turned out very well (in case anyone's interested). I used a traybake recipe in a flat tin and built the train up in layers. I may eventually get around to posting a picture. [Smile]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
The thing is, if it tastes unpleasant, it tastes unpleasant, whether six months old or six years.

Life is too short to eat nasty jam.

My feelings exactly - such a shame to waste the jam. I must eat more of the jam that I make sooner!
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For Ariel: Luscious Lemon Cake

This is the 9-lemon cake I made, which fits a 10-inch square tin. If you don't need to feed 30+ people the quantities are 140g of each flour, 200g butter and sugar, 4 eggs, 2 lemons, 1 hr 25 min baking time to make a 6-inch cake.

For cake:
500g self-raising flour
500g plain flour
750g unsalted butter
750g sugar
15 eggs
zest of 9 lemons
125ml fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract

For syrup glaze:
remainder of fresh lemon juice (original recipe said approx 350ml; I only had about 225ml)
225g caster sugar (I used 150g)

Fan oven 140C, conventional oven 160C

Usual kind of method: beat butter and sugar together, add eggs gradually with a few tbsp of flour, beating in well. Fold in flour; stir in lemon zest, juice and vanilla. Bake 1 hr 50 min until risen and skewer comes out clean.

Meanwhile, sieve the remaining lemon juice into a small pan, add sugar and heat until sugar dissolves. When cake is done, pierce with skewer several times and pour syrup over hot cake.

I iced it with lemon curd buttercream - 8oz butter, 1 lb icing sugar and 8 oz lemon curd makes enough to cover top and sides.

Credit where credit is due: this is from Spectacular Cakes by Mich Turner. If you join the cake club at www.lvcc.co.uk you can see some of her other recipes, but not the lemon one for some reason!

Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rule of thumb for home canned foods is 1 year. 2 years for a jam is probably still ok. More than that and you're a masochist.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martha:

That sounds fabulous!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was; I have just eaten the last piece!
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So I made LBJ's chili. It was pretty good!

Except I need to figure out what kind of chili power Lady Bird was referring to; the one I used - a mix of ordinary grocery store powders, one hot one not - didn't have near enough zing. It was what I had on hand, that's all - and I used Mexican hot sauce to liven it up, so it wasn't a big problem.

Haven't made any of the vegetarian recipes yet, but will be doing that during the Lenten season....

(Just a little update!)

ETA: Yes, she really was called "Lady Bird." In fact, everybody in the family had the same initials; that was back when eccentricity was more in vogue, I think - and when men needed a lot more ego-stroking than they do today....

[ 26. January 2011, 20:59: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Lady Bird's chili recipe looks like it has stood the test of time even in these Food Network days!

At our house last night we decided to go spelunking through our messy pantry and just make dinner with whatever odd or end caught our eye...which in this case was a forgotten package of vac-packed gnocchi.

I've been pretty underwhelmed by ready-made gnocchi. But I went online and found a recipe, then tweaked it to reflect food we had on hand. Here is the result:

Gnocchi With Ham and Spinach

1 package ready-made gnocchi, cooked as directed, drained, 1/2 cup cooking water reserved (the original recipe suggested changing up all or part of that with seasoned broth or white wine)
2 TBS butter (actually I used half olive oil)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound very thinly sliced deli ham
2 tsp. dried sage leaves (or fresh leaves, to your liking)
about 3 cups of baby spinach
Italian 3-cheese blend(Parmesan, Asiago, Romano) OR gorgonzola -- lots;-)
about 1/4 cup or so toasted pine nuts

I browned the drained gnocchi in the butter/oil mixture, in a large frying pan...added garlic and continued cooking until that was nice and soft...replaced the liquid...added the ham and sage leaves...then added the spinach, tossed everything together and covered the pan until the spinach was nice and steamed...then added the cheese and pine nuts at the end.

We really enjoyed this. The original recipe had called for gorgonzola, and I'd really like to make it again with that. It might also be interesting to use toasted walnuts rather than pine nuts, or skip the nuts altogether.

Also discovered with the gnocchi: a box of kasha. I love kasha but haven't made it in ages. Any suggestions for recipes other than the basic on-the-box one? We might do a veggie supper Saturday or Sunday, with pureed squash soup as the main course...maybe I can work the kasha into that menu.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

Oooh. Love the gnocchi! I want to try making it sometime, but don't mind the ready-made.

That recipe sounds very good. Gorgonzola would really be zingy, though!

As for Kasha: go with Kasha Varniskes! I have a recipe someplace; back in a jif.

[ 27. January 2011, 19:25: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Martha:

Oh, thank you! [Smile] This does indeed sound fabulous!
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

This is the one, I think. Or maybe this one or this one. They're really all pretty much the same - and all very tasty!

(Actually I used bulghar instead of kasha. Shhhh....)

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Further to LutheranChik's gnocchi, tonight I invented -

Pasta with Sausage (and some other stuff).

Cut up some flavoursome sausages and toss them in a pan with a little oil to brown. Start a panful of pasta. Saute some mushrooms in butter.

Things then go quiet for about 10 minutes.

Drain the cooked pasta, tip in a packet of young spinach leaves, replace the lid and leave. Sprinkle a little flour on the mushrooms (which should still have some liquid) and form a roux. Add a little milk and a dollop of half-fat creme fraiche.

Now assemble: pile the mixture of pasta and wilted spinach out first, pour over the creamy mushroom sauce, top with the sauted chunks of sausage and finally shave some parmesan over all.

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Further to LutheranChik's gnocchi, tonight I invented -

Pasta with Sausage (and some other stuff).....

Oh, man. That sounds so good my teeth are watering....

[ 27. January 2011, 22:22: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
I finally managed to get the lid off a jar of pumpkin and ginger jam that I made in 2005, and it tastes a little musty. Should I be worried about this?

I opened in late 2009 and finally finished in early 2011 some chutney that I made in the summer of 2000. I hadn't liked it very much in 2001 so had let it languish. Even in 2009 it wasn't great but by late 2010 it had finally mellowed and matured enough to be rather tasty.

(But musty jam sounds yeuch....even if safe to eat I probably wouldn't bother.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

TubaMirum: Thank you! That sounds great...and we have bowtie pasta that needs eating.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
TubaMirum: Thank you! That sounds great...and we have bowtie pasta that needs eating.

I used the first recipe linked above, I remember now. The NYTimes one leaves out the frying of the kasha, so it is a bit different than the other two.

Kasha varnishkes is wonderful - very much comfort food, and good for you, too....

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

For everyone trying to eat healthily in cold weather, I have two words: warm salads.

There are times when a chilly pile of lettuce just doesn't cut it. So -

Quarter one or more heads of chicory. Rub lightly with olive oil and sear on a griddle. Top with slices of pear, a scatter of blue cheese of your choice, some walnut halves and a drizzle of walnut oil. Put under a grill for a few minutes.

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yum. (Memo to self, buy griddle. For I could try this under grill / in ordinary frying pan but it won't be quite the same.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another very tasty option:

Tassajara Warm Red Cabbage Salad

I hate raisins, but dried nectarines were a lovely substitution.

--------------------

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Warm beet salad -- roast beets in skins; peel and slice; while they're still warm pour over a simple dressing of olive oil, wine vinegar, dillweed and a little minced sweet (Vidalia, etc.) onion; serve on mixed greens.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Weather is meees-er-able here today, so I have stayed in and made some indifferent biscuits (they're really not what the recipe promised) and a second batch of these spiced nuts.

They are extremely lovely. They are also adaptable - flatmate doesn't like aniseed flavours so I've left the fennel out of half of today's, and the first lot I did had coriander seed not cumin because I hadn't checked the cupboard properly before shopping, and they are still lovely. Oh and I've used cashews instead of macadamia.
TG

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I made Nigella's version at Christmas; they were very nice, but I think I'd possibly increase the sugar and decrease the cayenne a wee bit next time.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone suggest a use for a bowl of chicken fat that was a by product of my making stock from a load of chicken carcasses?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mix in some seeds, put it in a wide plastic container and hang it out for the birds.

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Can anyone suggest a use for a bowl of chicken fat that was a by product of my making stock from a load of chicken carcasses?

Authentic matzoh balls and chopped chicken liver. Yum!
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Curious:
Mix in some seeds, put it in a wide plastic container and hang it out for the birds.

That smacks of cannibalism
[Eek!]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Somehow I doubt the relatively small wild birds seeking any and every calorie needed to survive the winter are going to worry much about whether the fat came from the remains of overfed domesticated chickens.

But since chicken fat tends to be gelatinous rather than a nice solid (like lard) I suspect the wild birds simply won't find it attractive. But the local rodents will love it, especially with all those nice seeds mixed in.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Curious:

That smacks of cannibalism
[Eek!]

I've never understood that sentiment, but it's around. By that logic humans should stick to eating birds, water creatures, and reptiles, and assiduously avoid eating cattle, sheep, pigs, rabbits, and other mammals because that's "cannibalism".

I know you were joking, but I actually had a friend who rather freaked out when she found that her love bird had hopped over to nibble at the remains of her baked chicken. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Keep it in a jar in the fridge, and use it for frying things like potatoes, or fried rice.

I once tried making pastry (for chicken pie) with the chicken fat and the result was rather tough, but tasty. In future I wouldn't sub out more than a tablespoon or two of whatever other fat I was using for the chicken fat, but I would do that much.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I make soup from real stock, I scoop some of the fat of the surface of the stock and use it to sweat the veggies before adding the stock and pulses.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Since we're about to go on our monthly pilgrimmage to Large, Amazingly Stocked Big-City-Supermarket...what are some other Shippies' best new discoveries in terms of foodstuffs? We're especially interested in raw ingredients -- legumes, grains, veg, fruits.

One of our own more recent discoveries was Israeli couscous, which we actually prefer to the regular stuff -- it makes a nice, fluffy accompaniment to many dishes. We also reacquainted ourselves with adzuki beans not too long ago -- we substituted them for something else in a recipe and were pleasantly surprised by their flavor.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Small tins of coconut milk. I bag these every time I'm in a Thai or Chinese grocers. Even better if you can get Tom Ya stock cubes or sachets of Thai curry pastes. Those two items and almost any veggies and you can have a delicious curry or soup in very little time.

I also stockpile anchovies. One or two mashed into a casserole, or added to a tomato sauce or - my latest discovery - whizzed up with breadcrumbs to make a savoury topping.

Haricot are my favourite bean. They marry extremely well with a touch of north African spicing, as well as the southern French cassoulet-type casserole.

And I'm inclined to think nut oils - esp walnut - are worth having, especially for salad dressings (plus you can add the actual nut for extra crunch and nutrition).

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I wanted to buy grapeseed oil because it's supposed to be so much healthier than other oils but better-tasting than canola -- too spendy for our home, though, I'm afraid.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

What's the price of olive?

That is supposed to be the healthiest: I use it for everything bar stuff where I need a high burning point, when I use sunflower.

infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:

One of our own more recent discoveries was Israeli couscous, which we actually prefer to the regular stuff -- it makes a nice, fluffy accompaniment to many dishes.

Israeli couscous is the best! It's almost comical how much bigger it is than the regular variety: I like to think of them as tiny, fluffy beach balls.

Lately, I'm really enjoying Greek-style yogurt: even the non-fat iteration has a nice creamy feel to it.

Another discovery: smoked paprika. It's SO good in soups, on roasted potatoes, etc. etc. etc. Has the same kind of flavor complexity as saffron (though not the same taste), at a tenth of the price.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

And for vegan dishes, smoked paprika adds that wonderful smoky flavor without having to use actual smoked meat. It's well worth the extra cost.

Re grapeseed oil: At our food cooperative a bottle of grapeseed oil that contained maybe a cup of oil was $7...more expensive by far than olive oil.

Granted, we don't do a lot of frying. But it seemed like a lot of money. And I have a bottle of peanut oil I'm trying to use up before it loses its freshness, so anything new will have to wait.

[ 19. February 2011, 23:29: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
$7 for a cup!!!!! That's about the price here of a litre of the French stuff.

Good Oz olive oil is around $15-$20 a litre, more if you want it infused with spices. Quite decent cheaper locals are plentiful, and much better value than the Spanish at the same price. Also readily available is good macadamia nut oil, every bit as interesting as walnut (different flavour of course) and a fraction of the price. Madame uses almost nothing else for salad dressings, mixing it 5 oil to 1 white wine or cider vinegar wth a dash of a 4 leaf balsamic and some mustard powder. Also good to toss cooked green vegetables.

[ 20. February 2011, 01:36: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Macadamia is wonderful for salads and I'm looking forward to buying more when I move.

We use olive oil which is beautifully fresh, bought from the farm in Parkes, NSW. I don't know the price as boarder here buys it for us in either 2 litre pack, or a 750ml bottle which is done up to look like an expensive cab sav wine. It's very good and I'll have trouble replacing it. Same farm sells a balsamic glaze which is wonderful. Even DIL who hates any form of vinegar at all is happy to use a couple of drops of this. It's very expensive, a tiny bottle is $30.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

A quick visit to the currency converter shows that I pay about 5$ for a 70cl bottle of good quality olive (usually Spanish, Greek or Italian).

I would go through about a bottle a month. Straight frying is the least frequent use (the sunflower is better for that). But sweating ingredients at the start of a casserole, definitely. Everything that's roasted - meat or veg - gets a good anointing. Salad dressings. Home-made mayonnaise-y type sauces. Drizzle over pasta or pizza.

[ 20. February 2011, 08:51: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are 4 salmon recipes on my "Weight Loss" blog - although they're not necessarily low cal. Do let me know if you try them & enjoy them.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Last night I brined a pork tenderloin (on sale!) in a maple brine...it's on the patio as we speak...depending on if/when the expected blizzard descends this afternoon it's either getting grilled or roasted.

Brining liquid: 2 quarts water; 1 cup brown sugar; 1/4 plus 1/8 cup of kosher or sea salt; 1/2 cup real maple syrup; 5 garlic cloves, peeled; maybe 2 tsp. thyme; 1 generous tsp peppercorns; 3 bay leaves. I brought this all to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugars and salt; then I added another 2 quarts of cold water, cooled the mixture to room temperature, added the pork, and left the meat to brine overnight. (For most of you I assume that will be in the refrigerator, not the back porch.;-)) We've used a variation of this recipe on turkey breast, and it was outstanding.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I tried out a new recipe today. It got good reviews from my friends who were my taste testers!

2 c. pureed pumpkin
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1/3 c. maple syrup
1/2 c. creme of coconut
1 tsp. cinnamon

Stir it all together.

I think it counts as a vegetable, even though it tastes like chocolate mousse! Might be a good way to get kids to eat their veggies! (And some adults I know, too!)

I put a little bit in the freezer to see how that comes out. If it's any good, I'll let you know.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Awhile back I'd posted about my perplexity in using up a jar of coconut toast spread that our kids had sent us from Florida...this year they sent us a packaged mix for Key lime cookies, and after staring at that for awhile the thought came to me that I'd make sandwich cookies with the coconut spread in between.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LChik, that brine sounds wonderful and I lurve pork. If only I had an oven!

jj: by 'creme of coconut' do you mean coconut milk, the alcoholic thing, or something else?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  14  15  16 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016