homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia in St. Damian's, Oxford (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia in St. Damian's, Oxford
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lucy couldn't stop crying into the tea. "Oh, now I'll make the tea salty. What a bad cook I am. Oh! Oh! But I'm not evil, I swear I'm not!

Well, I'll set a new pot of tea on, and vote about who is evil, I guess. Oh!

Professor Mumblebore is either deranged or guilty, so I think I'll put him first. Jeremiah is not very persuasive, but I'd rather hear more from him before silencing him, so him second. Not the cat. She could be guilty, but she makes more sense than the other two."

In other words:
1. Professor Mumblebore
2. Jeremiah
3. TESS
4. Felis

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Much as it pains me to say it, I am coming to the conclusion that Mumblebore's waffling is not a distraction from his guilt but more just a sign of his obvious insanity, as the pattern of his voting and musings seems to point to a degree of innocence.

I find myself feeling suspicious of Miss Chelley and also of Lucy but as they are not nominated this round (yes, I know, I know, I could have nominated them but today has been the first chance I have had to sit down and properly study the thread!). Having met some of Lucy's extended family in my long and interesting life, I find her unexpectedly simple - a good guise for one who is aiming to hide her guilt. If I die tonight, perhaps my suspicions are right!

Felis has also previously aroused my suspicions but, like Eliabach, I am inclined to think her innocent and that Chelley is riding in her wake to cover her own guilt.

I am unsure about Jeremiah, and think that a non-lynching at this stage would be detrimental to our chances.

Therefore my votes are as follows:

1 Jeremiah
2 TESS
3 Mumblebore
4 Felis

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:

Felis has also previously aroused my suspicions but, like Eliabach, I am inclined to think her innocent and that Chelley is riding in her wake to cover her own guilt.

"Riding in her wake" I don't ride in anyone's wake! I might be just the bookish librarian but I am my own person thank you! Hmmmppff... the librarian wandered off muttering to herself.

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
The one way for them to avoid lynching is to split the vote down the middle.

I don't think that would avoid a lynching. We assume O'Hocher cannot vote. Ties are resolved against the person who has failed to vote most often; Harold has said explicitly that being a victim of the prankster is no excuse. Mumblebore has voted every day.
Therefore, according to my reading of the rules, in the event of a tie between O'Hocher and Mumblebore O'Hocher will swing.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the moment, I think that if O'Hocher turns out to be innocent then there is less reason for suspecting Mumblebore. But not the other way around. (Mumblebore's guilt would therefore implicate O'Hocher, but I think we're still at the stage where we're more likely to hit an innocent.)

So:
1) O'Hocher
2) Mumblebore
3) Felis Rufa

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Much as it pains me to say it, I am coming to the conclusion that Mumblebore's waffling is not a distraction from his guilt

"pains you"? Hypocrite! You spat in my tea, you vicious dwarf, and you're jealous because with your silly beak you can't waffle nicely, but only do tweettweet. Further you look like a small barrel with walking stumps. And you have almost no hair left. And worst, afaIk you may well may be from Oxford.
There! At least I can die with peace of mind now, if I have to.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Mumblebore
2. O'Hocher
3. Felis
4. TESS

Miss Chelley had been on the receiving end of some irritating scowls in the library recently due to not following her own "quiet please" request on the wall. So instead of rattling on again she quickly aired her votes and put her head in a book.

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the reasons given, I think:

1. Jeremiah Ferrer-O'Hocher most likely to be guilty.

Although I suspect other s more than her:

2: Felis Rufa is in my pool of 'unknowns', and it is crucial that we kill our way through those more quickly than the SCUM can dispose of known innocents.

Next after lynching a suspect I would prefer not lynching at all (we have the prankster and can win an otherwise tied vote).

3. TESS

Worst would be to lynch someone I am sure is innocent. Am I that sure of Mumbledore? While he is capable of brilliance, he is one of the more inattentive academics I have ever known, and prone to embarrassing mistakes. However I cannot believe that even he would have murdered Mr Meng on the first night and by morning forgotten that and imagined that he had killed Jeremiah. I think I have to vote on the basis that he is innocent.

4. Prof. Mumbledore.

[ 17. November 2011, 08:16: Message edited by: Eliab ]

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1. Jeremiah

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And with that, Jeremiah is marched to his death. He won all of his head-to-head match-ups. He was SCUM (mafioso). Well done, St. Damian's! Unfortunately, the college is not safe yet.

Night falls

I'll give 49 hours for night actions, so we'll have dawn by 8am EST Saturday.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Well done us. Note to self: in future remember the cat's not wrong.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

So the definitely cleared list goes:
Mr Dai Logge
Mrs Barbara Layman
Prof Eliabach
Felis Rufa

Not yet fully cleared, in increasing order of suspicion:
Smudgetta
Miss Chelley
Lucy
Mumblebore

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
Smudgetta
Miss Chelley
Lucy
Mumblebore

I posted that before looking back over the thread.
I now notice that O'Hocher stepped in to defend Dyllis Smudgetta once she'd been nominated and then put forward another nomination of his own. Smudgetta was the only person still on the list of suspects who was up for lynching at the time.

On the other hand, Mumblebore has I think been consistently voting to lynch anyone except O'Hocher.

I'm inclined to clear Lucy based on her voting record. (She voted for Heisen/O'Hocher equal first in the round when Heisen was lynched.) Chelley's voting record is uninformative.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right. I am heading off to the kitchen to claim that plate of salmon from Lucy. In the event that I don't survive the night, I'm going to have a good meal before I go.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would not definitely clear Felis.

If I was right about the pool of four likely suspects, and she were guilty, nominating a co-conspirator is exactly what I would expect her to do.

I agree that she looks much less guilty, but I wouldn't write off the possibility altogether.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lucy smiled at the kitty. She knew that it probably only came to visit for the salmon, but when the kitty is dear, and soft, and friendly and warm, one can forget that. Sometimes she talked to Felis, and wondered if Felis listened. Whether or not she did, it was one way to vent in this dangerous scary world.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
If I was right about the pool of four likely suspects, and she were guilty, nominating a co-conspirator is exactly what I would expect her to do.

Felis nominated O'Hocher back before I outed myself as the Doctor. At that stage, you were the only person cleared.

Having looked again at the voting records, Smudgetta voted for O'Hocher above Mumblebore this last round. So Smudgetta is probably not guilty unless there were three SCUM and Smudgetta and Mumblebore are in on it together.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Lucy raises her head from the kitty. "I'm just a simple girl and all, so I have to ask: If Smudgetta had voted for Mumblebore, would that have saved o'Hocher? If so, I would say that Smudgetta should be considered cleared. However, if not, then I don't think her vote can be considered defining.

Either way though, I've made some cookies and hot chocolate. This is all so very stressful, that everyone except the murderer deserves some."

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
I'm just a simple girl and all, so I have to ask: If Smudgetta had voted for Mumblebore, would that have saved o'Hocher?

If everybody had kept their votes the same, then Mumblebore and O'Hocher would have drawn so it wouldn't have saved O'Hocher as the votes stood. However, she voted early enough that she couldn't have predicted that so many people would have voted Mumblebore to make her vote irrelevant. And also she put a stop to any momentum for Mumblebore.

quote:
Either way though, I've made some cookies and hot chocolate.
Thank you.
Mr Logge takes a sip. Ah, hot chocolate, lovely. He puts the mug half drunk to one side where it will be discovered with other half drunk mugs of tea once the cleaners finally get in after Christmas. The cleaners are used to this.

[ 17. November 2011, 16:26: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So the definitely cleared list goes:
Mr Dai Logge
Mrs Barbara Layman
Prof Eliabach
Felis Rufa

Not yet fully cleared, in increasing order of suspicion:
Smudgetta
Miss Chelley
Lucy
Mumblebore

I admit I still don't understand what made JFO'Hocher look guilty but then I don't deny that I am not a very careful player. Anyway, I am glad others are, and especially that our three known innocents managed to vote last and decide the day in our favour (may I add that I suggested this – it is not a difficult strategy but nonetheless not something SCUM need to actively suggest at this decisive stage).

Methinks things re innocents and suspects are not as clear as you think, Dafyd. I would suggest the following speculations.
Three people look more innocent than guilty but not entirely cleared:

- Smudgetta
Case for her innocence:
She effectively decided the vote for "TESS" on day one when she could have lynched without arousing much suspicion.
She voted for JFO’H on #1 in the last round.
Case against:
JFO'H defended her. The no lynching on day one could have been a trick to create a cover for precisely the situation now. (Did I mention that possibility then? I remember typing it but maybe deleted that passage from an over-long post). As I know her this would be in character - she is a rather mild-mannered sort of cook. Despite spitting in my tea. And voting for JFO’H last round might also be a trick to create a cover.
But I admit that using two such tricks looks very unlikely. And SCUM will always occasionally defend innocents.

- Felis (l.v.e.rouge)
Case for innocence: She was the first both in nominating and voting for JFO'H.
Case against:
BUT this might have been a simple trick - when she saw there was a mood against JFO'H the team decided to sacrifice him spectacularly (i.e. precisely by being the first in nominating and voting for him)? Am I right remembering that she was not nearly as proactive on any of the other days, usually being far less energetic and waiting to see what others did? Whence this sudden activism?

- Mumblebore (myself):
Case for being guilty:
Dafyd points out that I consistently voted not to lynch JFO'H. I had not noticed but in a way you are right. I put him in the middle on day one but then did not list him at all. But then that logically is true for a lot of others players whom I never voted for either. Wouldn’t you expect SCUM to act a bit less obviously? With so many nominees it is fairly safe for SCUM to list their team mates further down the voting list and arouse less suspicion.

But in another instance I acted even more suspiciously: On day two my lottery thingy forced me to nominate JFO'H (can't link to individual posts. It was on 1 November 14:04). But by inattention I got my nominations wrong and nominated someone else. You may think this looks like my own scheme had forced me to nominate my fellow SCUM and then I tried to get out of doing it by nominating someone else. And not only once but twice! Question: Why would I suggest such a scheme in the first place then?
You may think I am daft as Mr Daft of 3 Thick Lane, Little Daftington, and I don’t blame you - but even I would not think I could get away with a silly thing like that, assuming no one would notice (Eliabach kindly pointed my mistakes out to me and I ended up nominating JFO’H).
So you must choose: either you think I play extremely naively (in the way outlined above) despite having team mates to discuss with me and avoid actions that may seem suspicious. Or you assume I often just do not pay huge attention to detail in this game. What is more likely?

My general craziness is quoted as suspicious by some, but quite frankly, which of you would be brave enough to thus play the maverick on open stage if he had murder to hide? Not me.

So in my book we have:

Definitely innocent
- Dafyd
- Banner Lady
- Eliabach (will probably die tonight)

Very likely innocent:
- Smudgetta

Either innocent or playing a feasible trick:
- La vie en rouge

Unknown entities:
- Chelley
- Gwai
I have not given these two any thought. Has someone analysed their voting and nominating records?

I am not on the list obviously because you will have to make up your minds about the likelihood of my innocence/guilt in comparison to others.

This means all the honest people will know three innocents (themselves included) by tomorrow. And one of the other four is SCUM. We can win – and even have another day if we get it wrong tomorrow.
So the question for tomorrow will be:
Assuming we lynch an innocent – which of the five people:
Chelley
Gwai
La vie en rouge
Mumblebore
Smudgetta
will give us the maximum information by their death? Assuming Eliabach gets killed (why should SCUM risk hitting another protected victim if they or rather s/he can play safe?) we can start speculating now.
Eliabach – do you have any ideas before leaving us?

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs.Layman looked at the snow falling again, and wondered how long the supplies in the college would last. She took out her notepaper and penned Professor Eliabach a missive.

'There are rumours you may be leaving us. I don't understand, but should this be true, please leave detailed instructions as to how you would like us to preserve your bodies of work. I'm sure this will be valuable to St.Damian's.'

Mrs. Layman sent this off via the ever reliable Pike, and then wondered who she might prank this time to ease the boredom of the night.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Seeing your prank may well decide a lynching, depending on whether you hit SCUM or innocent, would you wait to take suggestions from the other two known innocents?

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Professor Mumblebore, I am very happy to work in concert and to a plan. It will be 10 hours before I can post again, so I await the collective wisdom of my fellow collegians.

As to who may be missing from St.Damian's tomorrow, I would not be so certain it will be Professor Eliabach. If I were SCUM, I would be taking out those who might impede their evil plans the most. Either Dr.Logge or myself are the biggest targets. No doubt Dr.Logge will be rolling the die to determine which of us he will put safely in the infirmary. But under no circumstances would I wish Dr.Logge to reveal his determinings. Some things are best left secret.
BL

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

I've said who I think the remaining suspects are already. I think Mrs Layman should use her own judgement which is likely to be at least as reliable as mine.
The college cat seems to dislike Mumblebore. Every time I remember disagreeing with the cat's suspicions I've turned out wrong.

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

quote:
Every time I remember disagreeing with the cat's suspicions I've turned out wrong.

Hmmm.
May I remind you that last time round she turned out to be a catwoman of very dubious morals (e.g. a string of murders to her name) and that disagreeing with her might have been not such a bad idea? It might well be wise to consider this possibility again and use your own judgment rather than hers.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
I would not definitely clear Felis.

I agree that she looks much less guilty, but I wouldn't write off the possibility altogether.

In that case you don't know me as well as you think you do. When the Red Cat goes on a murderous rampage, it is a point of honour to her to keep her co-conspirators alive if at all humanly (or felinely) possible.

Just ask Mrs. Layman [Biased]

--------------------

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
In that case you don't know me as well as you think you do. When the Red Cat goes on a murderous rampage, it is a point of honour to her to keep her co-conspirators alive if at all humanly (or felinely) possible.

I’m quite sure you would avoid unnecessary team sacrifices, Holy One, but I have indeed misjudged you if your blood is not almost as cold as mine when sacrifices are unavoidable.

That said, I would advise lynching Lucy next. On the day I nominated everyone, our one known killer put her inconspicuously in the centre of his list. She, however, didn’t list him at all. She put her own name twice, both joint seventh and last. Anyone can make a mistake, but there is only one person who has a positive reason to see O’Hocher and themselves as interchangeable – his co-conspirator.

I think Smudgetta innocent, because on the same day our killer placed her last in his list, and I think he was more subtle that to put fellow SCUM there. Mumbledore I think innocent for reasons already given.

If I’m wrong about Lucy, though, those two are worth watching. Ahead of them I’d place Chelley, and next after her Felis.

Now if you will excuse me, I have some guardian spirits to summon and bind.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

What Eliabach says makes sense to me (thanks for the work involved in going back over the thread).
So your order of suspicion is:

1. Lucy
2. Chelley
3. Felis
4. Me and Smudgetta

I can live with that, although I'd place Chelley third and the cat on #2 - scheming is what the game's about. So I suggest moving me further down your list. I assure you it will increase (y)our chances of winning.

Suggesting to lynch Lucy would imply silencing her as well, then. Because if she turns out to be innocent we cannot learn anything from her vote anyway as she is as blind as we are.

Dafyd: I think you would be safer to trust the opinion of someone we certainly know to be innocent (Eliabach) than someone whom we do not (the cat). Also his reflections are invariably more logical than hers (cats are cute, but).

[ 18. November 2011, 12:42: Message edited by: Sylvander ]

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

You agree with the view which makes you look plausibly innocent. Well surprise, surprise.

You still haven't given any convincing explanation for why you didn't want to lynch the gardener. You can call me tricksy if you want, but I'm a great believer in Occam's razor, actually (and you've got to admit that the fact I've heard of it is pretty impressive for a cat). Occam's razor says you didn't want to lynch Jeremiah because you are in league with him.

I actually think being certifiably barking insane could be a pretty good bluff. I know which way my catfood's buttered and you look guiltier than anyone else to me.

As for me - as Dai pointed out, I accused Jeremiah when no one was known for certain to be innocent except for Eliabach. There would be no reason for me to lynch one of my own at that point.

Jeremiah already let slip that there are only two murderers.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Mrs Layman had always been suspicious of the cook and the gardener. But had she got the wrong cook? She summoned Pike and whispered in his ear.
Time would tell.

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

quote:
You still haven't given any convincing explanation for why you didn't want to lynch the gardener.

In fact I did. If you read my post (seeing I don't always, you are forgiven for not doing it).

quote:
I actually think being certifiably barking insane could be a pretty good bluff. I know which way my catfood's buttered and you look guiltier than anyone else to me.

This simple fact smells fishy to me. The more you post the more I grow suspicious.
You are (1) a bit too adamantly protesting your innocence while no one suspects you much but me (I at least have several lynch votes to my name) and (2) making such self-assured revanche accusations of me that I find it strange. Maybe my main fault is simply keeping your name on the suspects list?
Whatever case there is against me, I think Eliab's explanation of my behaviour is not only accurate (only I can know that) but also quite sensible and logical (anybody can judge for themselves). So the fact you so strongly disagree looks weird to me.
I am suspicious of you - but with far less certainty than the reverse.

quote:
As for me - as Dai pointed out, I accused Jeremiah when no one was known for certain to be innocent except for Eliabach. There would be no reason for me to lynch one of my own at that point.

Well, we already found a plausible explanation for that. Especially the strange pattern that you suddenly so conspiciously did that, making sure everyone would notice. You were never as hasty as on that particular day.
Why? I still wait for a reply.
You only said: "I try to win with the whole team and would not sacrifice JFO'H" - but even if that was true then JFO'H may have had more sense and actually suggested the plot himself. It is not my first preference but certainly not unlikely imo.

quote:
Jeremiah already let slip that there are only two murderers.

Are you trying to pretend you are making constructive contributions while in fact saying nothing at all in the way SCUM often do? This particular bit of information was as good as crystal clear from the start.
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dawn rises

The college awakes to an unusual smell -- there is a corpse in Prof. Eliabach's room and it has not been treated with any preservatives. Upon inspection, it turns out to be his own. He was an ordinary citizen.

You have until 8am EST Tuesday to nominate. We'll begin voting either then, or when everyone is nominated.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dai, please remind me of why you believe the cat to be definitely innocent.

On the other hand, I am really not convinced by Lucy's protestations of simplicity... it really does seem more like a cover for someone more devious. When it comes to actions, others seem more suspicious but considering character does make me veer towards thinking there's more to Lucy than meets the eye.

I would like to nominate Lucy the cook.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

The Professor stands in the gloom, and lets the rat's blood run freely down his arm and onto the symbols carved on the floor. Almost as soon as it touches, it pools and begins to boil violently.

"Come forth from the scalding stream, child of Phlegethon!

I have need of thee. I call thee up for my defence. By that which is willed, where what is willed must be, I charge and require thee, defend me from mine enemies with utmost violence until the dawn, lest thou be cast back into the iver and lie in torment with thy lungs filled with boiling blood beneath thy fellows' feet. Come forth!"

After the shade's anguished screams and protests have subsided a little, Eliabach retires to bed, in perfect security from his foes.

[...]

A little after midnight, the professor awakes in a cold sweat. He had used that spell perhaps a hundred times, so often that it had become a matter of routine. He no longer needed to consult the books, and rarely stopped to consider what it actually did.

Which was to summon the protective spirit of a murderer. It did not specify which one. Most places had their histories of violence, and associated spirits could be culled from the depths without difficulty, but today, with the blood of a known murderer even now on his hands, it might, perhaps, have been a good idea to be a little more specific in selecting a guardian against the man's fellows.

Eliabach reaches for his bedside tome, just as the door opens and figure stands in the doorway. The intruder seems somewhat self-conscious to be observed holding a ludicrous and unwieldy pitchfork in one hand, and flaming torch in the other, but there are traditions universally observed in such matters, even at Cambridge.

"Defend me!" cries Eliabach, but the guardian spirit only quakes and writhes as it shrieks in agony and malice, while its mortal companion steps forward plunges the wickedly sharp prongs deeply into Eliabach's chest.

[...]

The first thing that the visitors to the Professor's rooms notice the next day is that Ernst has at last replaced the portrait of the ugly old man above his desk. But the replacement is a curious choice of artwork. The canvas is so old and dull with dark pigments and grime that it appears almost black. It is only when one stands so close to the frame and stares that it is possible to make out any detail, to see a faint flicker of flame, and realise that the canvas itself is most uncomfortably warm.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Dai, please remind me of why you believe the cat to be definitely innocent.

The cat nominated a SCUM back when we were just thrashing around. If she hadn't nominated him then, I don't think we would have lynched him yesterday.
If she were evil there was no need to throw one of her own out at that stage. We'd have been chasing our own tails quite comfortably.

Back in that round before last, Lucy voted O'Hocher and Berg equal first. I think O'Hocher was still a possible lynch candidate at that stage, which although it doesn't clear her entirely puts Lucy low on my list of suspects.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

"As Lucy faces the crowd, her cheeks are puffy and red, but her face is determined. "If you all really think it will help you solve things, lynch me, but it won't help you find the mafia. I rather suspect that the reason Dyllis Smudgetta is so interested in discrediting me is that she might be the mob. My voting pen has indeed been filled with what smells like cold tea, so I will not show my opinion in my votes until it has dried out. However, I can still nominate Dyllis Smudgetta I'm not a wise one, and I could be completely wrong, but since our doctor and prankster are innocent, and I believe the cat, and the resident crazy are probably innocent, I think that rather leaves my undercook.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

At the moment, I don't think Lucy is likely to be guilty, and I think Smudgetta is only guilty if Mumblebore is guilty as well and we started off with three SCUM. I'd suspect Chelley above either. But most of all I suspect Mumblebore.
Otherwise, it really would be a bit of a coincidence that the person he had so much trouble randomly nominating at the beginning turns out to be SCUM.

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

quote:
I think Smudgetta is only guilty if Mumblebore is guilty as well

Quite. And that must also be the reason he nominated her and voted for her lynching.
Your logic leaves the poor old professor [Ultra confused] but then at his advanced age one is generally unperturbed by the frailty of the human brain, not least one's own. And anyway Mumblebore is the one who always says this is primarily a game of luck, so he regards this as proof.
Seeing Lucy is already nominated he nominates the cat as usual. IF her conspiciously patterned nominating and voting was indeed a trick it would be more fun catching her than another piece of SCUM. If not we'll have another day and another guess.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

[I have the crappiest internet connection in the universe [Mad] ]

I would nominate Mumblebore but Dai’s already done it. He looked guilty already to me, and the fact that he’s going after me so hard makes him look very guilty to me indeed. OTOH if you really want to lynch me, you can – I know I’m innocent, and if I go to the great mousehunt in the sky it might persuade to off Mumblebore next.

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

Have had a barmy few days (and not just sorting the books in the library). My suspicions seem to have been re-covered by others so now to try and prioritise those thoughts. See-sawing.

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Right, now that I have some time and a working internet connection:

My views on the pool of suspects are the following:

Dyllis Smudgetta - most likely innocent. At the eleventh hour she chose to go against the general opinion that (the innocent) Heisen Berg should be lynched and hung the vote. Were she a murderer I think she would have gone with the flow and let him hang. It would have been inconspicuous enough.

Miss Chelley has done nothing particularly incriminating AFAICT. She's called several innocents correctly aforetimes.

Lucy could be guilty I suppose. She's not done anything desperately incriminating though, apart from keep a low profile and the strange mix-up between herself and Jeremiah. OTOH if Mumblebore is going to plead inattention, then I don't see why Lucy can't make the same defence. So I find this inconclusive. I note she made an accusation of Dyllis that went largely unnoticed, but this is also inconclusive. She also voted to lynch Jeremiah the day before he was finally caught when she probably could have got away with doing something else.

Mumblebore. Barking mad or not, his voting pattern protected the only person so far proven to have been guilty, which I consider makes him a much better pick than anyone else on the menu. I still think that if he was innocent, last time round, he should have preferred to lynch Jeremiah or no one than to lynch himself. He might think the accusation of Jeremiah unconvincing, but he would know that he (Mumblebore) was innocent and should be kept alive.

Of course you have to add into this the fact that he is trying to prove the guilt of an innocent kitty. Maybe I'm just piqued that he's telling nasty lies about me, but one last time for the hard of thinking, why the cat is innocent:

To understand this you need to look not at what happened yesterday, but what happened the day before.

The scenario is this: imagine for the sake of argument that I am a bad murderous kitty in league with the gardener. No one is known for certain to be innocent except EVE (i.e. neither Dai nor Mrs. Layman has so far revealed their special powers). Jeremiah has just accused Mrs. Layman. Now is it more likely that I would a) leave him in peace to stitch up Mrs. Layman ('cause apart from anything else I still haven't forgiven her for not accepting my beautiful rat more politely and I don't like her - I mean what did she want, gift wrap?) or b) try to instigate the lynching of my own (hitherto unsuspected by anyone) co-conspirator? Anyone who persists in saying I would have gone for (b) is an obvious target for suspicion, IMO. Either that or very stupid.

One more thing: I should like to know who Mrs. Layman was playing tricks on last night. No one's come forward and I think someone's hiding something.

In response to a couple of specific points:

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:
revanche accusations of me that I find it strange. Maybe my main fault is simply keeping your name on the suspects list?

I think this is called "projection" (and you've got to admit it's pretty impressive that a cat's heard of it) [Biased]
quote:
Are you trying to pretend you are making constructive contributions while in fact saying nothing at all in the way SCUM often do? This particular bit of information was as good as crystal clear from the start.
Dai was still floating the possibility of three murderers extremely recently.

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

quote:
Barking mad or not, his voting pattern

It takes a cat to distinguish a "pattern" in a sample of two votes in one of which gardener was not even nominated. The vote on day two was demonstrably cast on the basis of an elaborately executed random pick.

quote:
Barking

Aaaah! And now I understand my main crime … Sorry, I can’t do purring.

quote:
I still think that if he was innocent, last time round, he should have preferred to lynch Jeremiah or no one than to lynch himself.

Sorry, dear, but this makes no sense at all. Cast a vote I did and that is as much as anyone can do who is nominated to save their skin.

quote:
He might think the accusation of Jeremiah unconvincing, but he would know that he (Mumblebore) was innocent and should be kept alive.

Of course, of course. So according to your logic, because I know I am guilty I cast my vote in such a way as to increase the risk of my own death? Something I would not have done if I were innocent?
I know you do not believe this yourself. Why would a SCUM cherish his own life less than someone innocent?
But coming up with confusingly complicated but illogical stuff like that is the mark of murderers.
I admit that seeing this is a team game, keeping myself alive is never my prime objective, but that applies to whatever side I am on.

quote:
One more thing: I should like to know who Mrs. Layman was playing tricks on last night. No one's come forward and I think someone's hiding something.

I think someone did mention they had been pranked further up the page.

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:
revanche accusations of me that I find it strange. Maybe my main fault is simply keeping your name on the suspects list?

quote:
I think this is called "projection" (and you've got to admit it's pretty impressive that a cat's heard of it) [Biased] [/QB]

I draw my hat to the kitkat for knowledge and spelling. [Overused]
But I think I started it, didn’t I? And only then did you return the favour by accusing me.
So the projection – if there is such a thing outside kitty world – would work the other way round.

quote:
Dai was still floating the possibility of three murderers extremely recently.

Yes, I know, [Roll Eyes] .
I think he has been sent from God to test my faith.
Maybe if I repent, do a Jonah and let myself be thrown overboard the Lord will deliver us from him the following night?
BUT, ladies, I should like to mention that, whether I do a Jonah or not, Dafyd is most likely a lamb to the slaughter come nightfall. So lynching me today would mean you ‘d wake up deprived of all male company tomorrow. And even if you found the killer afterwards- you’re snowed in, remember? What fun would that leave you in the college for the rest of those cold winter nights?
Knitting and tea, that’s what!

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:

Lucy says she's got a pen full of cold tea.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

"I don't like the way that Lucy encourages that awful fat cat, " said Mrs. Layman to Pike. "Yes, I know the long white fur probably hides a sleek and hungry animal, but it's always out in the snow prowling about, when any sensible feline would be curled up on a hearth, fast asleep. It does make me nervous. Would you check the shutters again, please, Pike? One day, it will appear at the window and make poor little Berkeley simply die of fright. That animal seems almost...possessed."

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

quote:
quote:

That's bad.
BUT NOT AS BAD AS TEA THAT'S BEEN SPAT IN!! [Mad] Smudgie, remember that I have an elephant's memory! (And often the brains, too, but that is irrelevant here).

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

quote:
quote:

So she does. Did I mention I have the crappiest internet connection in the universe?

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

I'd like to emphasise Mumblebore and Chelley are the only people still alive who never put O'Hocher in either first place or joint first place for lynching.
I think that's important.

[ 22. November 2011, 09:32: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Well, as I am not at all sure whether all the bold bits in the cat's litter tray mean she has nominated people or not, I hereby nominate Chelley just to make up the full compliment of suspects.

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

[I kept trying to post this morning but the electricians kept either blowing or turning off the electric which didn't bother the laptop but did bother the wireless connection!]

quote:
I'd like to emphasise Mumblebore and Chelley are the only people still alive who never put O'Hocher in either first place or joint first place for lynching.
I think that's important.

I put Mumblebore above O'Hocher because I'd thought Mumblebore more suspicious and put O'Hocher above TESS and Felis because I thought he was next most likely. Seemed to make sense at the time!

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Nominations close, votes open.

Your options are:

Miss Chelley nominated by Barbara Layman (Banner Lady)
Lucy (Gwai) nominated by Dyllis Smudgetta
Dyllis Smudgetta (Smudgie) nominated by Lucy
Mumblebore (Sylvander) nominated by Dai (Dafyd)
Felis Rufa (la vie en rose) nominated by Mumblebore
TESS

48 hours for voting, so you have until 8am EST Thursday. [Thursday being Thanksgiving, I'll be having a lie in and may not actually be around to witness the close of polls. The execution will follow shortly afterwards though.]

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016