homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia in St. Damian's, Oxford (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia in St. Damian's, Oxford
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
I'd like to emphasise Mumblebore and Chelley are the only people still alive who never put O'Hocher in either first place or joint first place for lynching.
I think that's important.

Since you clearly you will not be impressed by rhyme or reason - what will do you in repentance if you get me lynched and lose us this game?

[ 22. November 2011, 12:42: Message edited by: Sylvander ]

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Layman hunted around for the memo from the late Professor Eliabach. "Yes," she said to herself. "I agree that the cook and the librarian seem to be the most suspicious."

She marked the voting slip clearly:

1. Lucy
2. Chelley

Why were good staff so hard to find these days?

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the SCUM win because we lynch Mumblebore or Chelley despite their innocence then I'll congratulate them on how well they played. But Mumblebore's insistence that there's no reason to lynch him is simply wrong. And the fact he claims he can't see that strikes me as suspicious in and of itself.

1) Mumblebore
2) Chelley
3) Smudgetta, Lucy
4) TESS
5) Felis Rufa

[ 22. November 2011, 19:10: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1) Mumblebore
2) Chelley
3) Smudgetta, Lucy
4) TESS
5) Felis Rufa

Just because I often like to know how someone would have voted if they could, This is almost exactly how I would have voted except I would have given TESS #5 and myself #4. Yes, it is better to lynch me than no one, because then you'll at least know I'm not guilty.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Chelley nominated by Barbara Layman (Banner Lady)
Lucy (Gwai) nominated by Dyllis Smudgetta
Dyllis Smudgetta (Smudgie) nominated by Lucy
Mumblebore (Sylvander) nominated by Dai (Dafyd)
Felis Rufa (la vie en rose) nominated by Mumblebore
TESS

I can understand (having said myself before that the 'everyone nominated' situation made for a good sense of votes) why Banner Lady decided to throw me at the last minute into the mix along with everyone else, but find the first few sets of votes rather interesting. Seems fair enough Banner Lady just going for Lucy and then me - if I was to complete the set - that she'd put someone above her nominated choice but not sure how I come to take such an exclusive place with Lucy! Lucy (expressing how she would have voted) going for Mumblebore then me even though she nominated Smudgetta! I'm not sure why Dai (Dafyd) has decided to lump me at 2 after Mumblebore when I defended him a number of times even before he was a known innocent, as well as having concerns (and previously nominating Mumblebore myself). But at least he followed up his own nomination! So far that just makes me more suspicious of Lucy, and also of Smudgetta (was that a cover-up nomination with no intention of being acted upon?).

At least that's helped my going round in circles...

1. Lucy
2. Smudgetta
3. Mumblebore
4. Felis
5. TESS
6. Miss Chelley

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About the only thing one can say with any certainty about Mumblebore is that he's very odd. I still think he's more suspicious than anyone else. If his thoroughly bizarre behaviour is really what he says it is, then frankly he should have paid better attention. Mrs. Layman seems a bit swayed by him - I find it a little odd that she interprets my insistence the way she does. I would have expected her to remember that I arrived in the college after my previous owner was so bloodymindedly right about something that she burned her own house down. I'm a determined beast, if nothing else.

I still think Mumblebore is the best pick going, and after him I would probably go for Lucy. However, this puts them neck and neck and since Mumblebore gets a vote, and Lucy doesn't, and I want Mumblebore lynched more than I want Lucy lynched, after consultation of the spreadsheet:

Mumblebore
•• TESS

(Apparently EVE's homunculus scribe couldn't survive without its creator. It definitely smells dead to me. Back to the trusty claw then.)

FWIW, my full order of suspicion is Mumblebore - Lucy - Chelley - Dyllis - Felis but if I vote this way, the spreadsheet says it actually doesn't get me the result I want, thus the vote above.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1 Lucy
2 Felis
3 Chelley
4 Mumblebore
5 TESS
6 Smudgetta (on the grounds that I know my innocence)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope I am right in assuming that we have enough votes to get poor Lucy lynched.

1 Lucy
2 Felis and Chelley

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The gavel falls and Lucy (gwai) goes to her death. She was an ordinary citizen.

Night falls. I'll give until Friday 8am EST for night actions, but if I get them in earlier we'll have dawn earlier.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<Look of haughty reproach of which only a cat is capable>

Told you Mumblebore was a better pick.

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

"That cat's insane,"
mumbled the professor,
"It's barking.
Up the wrong tree."
Anyway, I believe you when you say you are laughing. You would, even if innocent.
Alright, whom do we have left?

Chelley
La vie en rouge
Mumblebore
Smudgetta (probably innocent)
Banner Lady (known innocent)
Dafyd (probably dead by tomorrow)

So, come tomorrow there are five players, one of whom is SCUM. We will have two attempts: Even if we mis-lynch tomorrow and lose Banner Lady the following night (she is an asset because we are sure she is innocent), there'll still be three players left and they absolutely have to find a way to avoid a three-way TESS result.

As far as I can tell we only have three viable culprits (all seem to more or less agree about Smudgella's innocence) whom we have to weigh against each other. Chelley, Mumblebore (me) and the cat. For two (or even all three) of us, who are innocent, this basically leaves a choice between the other two.
If Chelley, the cat and I do not form a two-one majority against the third one, but vote in a circle it will be down to Smudgie and BL to decide things. BL even has double impact, as she can deprive one of us three of the vote.
I am too lazy to analyze past voting behaviour much to make up my mind between l.v.e.r. and Chelley [Frown]

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm clearly missing something. Could somebody please explain to me what made Lucy our prime suspect?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:
I am too lazy to analyze past voting behaviour much to make up my mind between l.v.e.r. and Chelley

La vie en rouge led the only lynch mob that actually picked the correct target. She was the first to say that O'Hocher was suspicious and it turns out that she was right.

If that's not enough to make up your mind, then what would?

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

quote:
I'm clearly missing something. Could somebody please explain to me what made Lucy our prime suspect?

She was EVE's prime suspect. And some people trusted him to do their thinking for them.

EVE was brilliant, but he's never been infallible.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs. Layman sighed. If she was that sort of woman, she would have sworn that the cat's head was even bigger than the last time she saw it.

"If you look back over my voting slips, you will see that I consistently suspected the cook and the gardner. As I had already put tea in Lucy's pen, I voted for her to go. I asked you all for your suggestions, explained that I was happy to work as a team - especially with Dr.Logge, and was not given any direction other than to go with my own instincts. Am I happy that it's almost Christmas and now there is no head cook in the college? Of course not! Poor Dyllis will have double the workload.

Of those left, Miss Chelley and Professor Mumblebore seem the most likely to be SCUM. Again, I will ask you, who you wish to see prevented from voting tomorrow? If I am alive, I will endeavour to put the majority wishes into action. But if you leave it up to me, Dr.Logge, then don't bleat if I get it wrong."

Mr.Layman poured herself a hot toddy, and wished the world had a few less academics and cats in it.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

quote:
La vie en rouge led the only lynch mob that actually picked the correct target. She was the first to say that O'Hocher was suspicious and it turns out that she was right.
If that's not enough to make up your mind, then what would?

The only people we can be sure of are Dafyd, Banner Lady, Smudgetta (almost). For all others keep your mind open.

As I said before: The cat's obvious lead in lynching JFO'H is precisely the reason why I do not entirely discard the possibility of her guilt. Imagine the situation: JFO'H had come under suspicion (not from her). This is a chance to create an excellent cover. If she is instrumental in killing him, this will always be an argument in her favour – "I would not kill my own ally, would I?" This is not a particularly difficult or far-fetched trick. Why do you find it so impossible to imagine?

What is weird: At this moment suddenly the cat changes her behaviour. Previously she held back, observed what others did before acting. She nominated and voted in the middle or towards the end of the pack. But now she jumps to the forefront: She is the first to nominate and later she is the first to vote for JFO'H. I asked twice and she never gave any explanation why she suddenly switched to becoming so extremely proactive.

Yes, I may be wrong. Overestimating the cat's scheming ability (but I do not think the scheme is THAT complex, so I would not put it past anyone here). Or being over-suspicious. But then reversely you may be too naďve in excluding the possibility altogether. (You certainly act naďvely in assuming that my double mis-nominating on day two was best explained by trying to avoid nominating my ally – at a time when everybody got nominated anyway, so the risk even for SCUM nominating another SCUM minimal).

There is an argument against the cat scheming this way. She spoke true when she earlier said she prefers to win with the entire team (I was Mafia with her once and she was against a beautiful sacrifice even when we already were winning hands down). This is a game of psychology and people usually stick with a particular style of play (true, psychology is quite hard online where liars don't blush and voices don't flicker). I think she really dislikes strategic sacrifices as much as I like them (like in chess they make the game far more interesting but riskier). This is why I am not at all sure of her guilt (and voted for others first).

Actually there is a chance that Smudgetta used a similar scheme (i.e. assuring TESS on day one or two) to create the (now generally accepted) impression of her innocence. But because Smudgetta's action came earlier and without need (JFO'H was not under threat, nor would she have been), I think that one far less likely.

Because I know I am innocent that leaves me with the choice of two candidates: Chelley and La Vie.

I am not sure what the case for Chelley's guilt is. I usually suspect quiet people and she is relatively quiet – but so was Lucy.

I am too lazy and short of time to re-read the thread and list her nominating and voting patterns (and please, don't tell me about my alleged pattern again – a "pattern" derived from the total of two votes is statistically useless) unless nobody else does. But come the time for voting after the weekend I may be forced to (I'll also have a bit more time then). I would say that in the last two days anybody who saved me from lynching may be a bit suspicious, too. It would look suspicious IF Lucy is innocent. In this case saving Mumblebore-me could indicate that SCUM saves me because I constantly accused her, another innocent.

quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
As I had already put tea in Lucy's pen, I voted for her to go. I asked you all for your suggestions, explained that I was happy to work as a team - especially with Dr.Logge, and was not given any direction other than to go with my own instincts.

I think you did the sensible thing, Lucy was not an unlikely target.
And I think we might win, even if we lynch two innocents in the next two days (incl. me).

We shall have tomorrow:
• Chelley
• La vie en rouge
• Mumblebore
• Smudgetta (probably innocent)
• Banner Lady (known innocent)

Assume tomorrow we lynch one innocent out of the three unknown quantities (e.g. me or Chelley. Seeing that I am almost alone in still suspecting the cat, she'll survive).

I suggest that the (almost) certain innocents (Smudgetta and Banner Lady) vote last. This way the one SCUM must vote early, perhaps giving a hint. I am even happy for the three innocents (or, if Dafyd dies too quickly) to determine an order of voting that we all abide by. Chelley and La Vie should be happy to agree to this, if they are innocent (or continue pretending to be :-)

This will leave tomorrow night:
• Banner Lady
• Smudgie
• Chelley/Me
• La Vie

The following night, our last absolutely certain player, i.e. Banner Lady (no longer protectable) will most likely die.

This would leave:
• Smudgetta
• Chelley/me
• The cat

In this situation SCUM can win two ways: Lynching an innocent or TESS.
Smudgetta is the one player most likely innocent (actually all this banks totally on her innocence). So it is vital that she votes last, because only this way can one ensure SCUM does not. This would at least give us a 50% chance and it is down to poor Smudgie.
Smudgie, IF in this situation you would vote for me, I'd prefer to be lynched tomorrow, because voting for me on the last day will lose for Cambridge.

quote:
If the SCUM win because we lynch Mumblebore or Chelley despite their innocence then I'll congratulate them on how well they played.

Hey! This is not repentance, just simple politeness.
I was thinking more along the lines of self-flagellation, teeth-gnashing, wailing and ashes on your head.

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Sorry for double post.
But after posting I felt a bit guilty for being so lazy while writing so much. So I did something I usually find boring: I went back and re-skimmed the thread just before JFO'Hs lynching.

And apologies: I think I based my entire speculation on a wrong assumption, i.e. that the cat nominated him when he was already being suspected. But he was not - unless I overlooked something. (Can someone check?) She did indeed start it, saying she did so "without any particular reason" and without constructing a case against him, i.e. she made a shot in the dark like most other nominations at that stage. This would indeed suggest she probably is innocent and the whole thing was not a scheme.

Miss Chelley in the last round voted inconspicuously – voting for Lucy was safe as the mood was against her anyway. Then she put me somewhere in the middle votes, out of the danger zone. As I said SCUM might do that in order to save someone making a wrong accusation all the time, but someone whom one might easily lynch later, seeing the popular mood building against me. It all would fit.
I have not checked her other votes prior to JFO'H's death, do they point anywhere?

I would suggest going for Chelley tomorrow. In the unlikely event there is still a day after that, you can lynch me (but then we have lost and the cat's strutting and crowing will be completely unbearable for years to come).
Of course you can lynch me first to test my bona fide and then Chelley. Amounts to the same, just takes longer.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

All that blathering and I still say MUMBLEBORE DID IT....

And in the unlikely event that it wasn't him, then it has to be Miss Chelley.

Since Mrs. Layman is taking suggestions, I obviously think you should go for Mumblebore. Even if you don't agree with me about him looking like a murderer at least it might make less work for the hosts [Razz]

I'm not sure we can say for certain Dai will be dead tomorrow - he might have been protecting Mrs. Layman last night, no? All depends who's bluffing who.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
I'm not sure we can say for certain Dai will be dead tomorrow - he might have been protecting Mrs. Layman last night, no?

I'm saying nothing.

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To answer some of the comments above (too many come to mind to try and quote all the bits!). I'm happy to try and vote when the time comes in a particular order but my voting times have pretty much happened when I can manage to vote rather than being placed anywhere in particular, and they've reflected my suspicions according to where my mix of hunch and attempted logic have got to. So I'd have the same challenge of voting to order (as mentioned before I was trying to post when the electricians working on the house kept fusing everything and I lost the connection repeatedly!).

As far as voting for Lucy goes... I expressed those suspicions long before this round and that was nothing to do with going along with what others were doing. The reason I decided to opt for Lucy over Mumblebore (having nominated him in the previous round) I explained in an earlier comment - I thought it was strange that she would nominate Smudgetta and then place Smudgetta so low going for Mumblebore and me first. She did things I couldn't work out without being suspicious (when she wasn't being relatively quiet).

And to ask a question... I might have missed something but can someone tell me why Smudgetta is so obviously innocent to the rest? I know I get a thought and keep hold of it like a bone but think I've missed something that might help here! Or is it just others going by the same 'hunch' system? I've commented before on finding her voting pattern strange but am happy to be reminded of what I've missed. (That's a bit of a repetitive sentence, sorry, but too long a day to try and sort it!)

Who is EVE?

When everyone else was going flat out for the trio of Dai, Heisen and Archibald, I was already expressing more concern about the bunch of Lucy (innocent it turns out but I still reckon made some weird choices), Mumblebore and Smudgetta and still can't see what convinces others that the SCUM isn't one of them? (That's a question). I've been pretty sure of the cat all through (as innocent) though have been hoodwinked by Vie before but she's last on my list (aside from the known innocents). And I had to take my hat off to getting O'Hocher - I hadn't picked up on what the cat had.
Mumblebore seems to have decided on me as most likely, apparently going by my voting pattern - but as I said, that's just reflected where my thinking's got to at each stage (as it usually does - and having started out trying to be more logical and having been accused of playing differently, I've said since then that out comes the random gut feeling now - when I've had the chances to say what I want to say). Is he a dog with a bone too or more sinister?
Anyway, that's about all I can remember to comment on for now and need to do a bit of looking back at how the rest have been voting.

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

quote:
Originally posted by Chelley:

Who is EVE?

I've answered that one now anyway!

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

quote:
quote:
I'm not sure we can say for certain Dai will be dead tomorrow - he might have been protecting Mrs. Layman last night, no?

I'm saying nothing.
I don't want you to say anything about who you are nursing tonight.
But if you say nothing about your preferences as to whom I might silence, then you leave me with the cat wanting Mumblebore silenced and Mumblebore wanting Chelley unable to vote. One of these last two has to be innocent. I doubt both are, although it is still possible. So please tell me Dr.Logge, whose pen shall be doctored?

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

quote:
I'm not sure we can say for certain Dai will be dead tomorrow - he might have been protecting Mrs. Layman last night, no? All depends who's bluffing who.

Oh, greeeaaaat. Congratulations for blurting it out!

There was the off-chance that SCUM had not thought about this possibility. I had rather hoped that Dafyd had protected BL last night, in order to protect himself tonight. So I tried to tempt SCUM to only think of hitting him and perhaps score another miss.

Oh cat, si tacuisses ...

At least SCUM still run a 50 percent risk of getting it wrong again [Snigger]

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

quote:
quote:
Who is EVE?

I've answered that one now anyway!
I am too dumb. What/who is EVE?

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Ernst Something-beginning-with-V Eliabach

[ETA - for Miss Chelley - I think Dyllis is innocent because of her conspicuously saving Heisen from the noose the day before he got lynched]

[ 24. November 2011, 11:01: Message edited by: la vie en rouge ]

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
But if you say nothing about your preferences as to whom I might silence, then you leave me with the cat wanting Mumblebore silenced and Mumblebore wanting Chelley unable to vote.

I agree with the cat.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
I think Dyllis is innocent because of her conspicuously saving Heisen from the noose the day before he got lynched

In addition, O'Hocher said something ambiguous about her which at the time I took to mean he suspected her, and then when we found out he was guilty I wondered whether he was trying to defend her, and now I think he was just stirring and trying to raise suspicions without being obvious.
My main reason for thinking that Smudgetta's innocent is that she voted to lynch O'Hocher at what looks to me like a critical stage of the proceedings.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

"Dear me," thought Mrs. Layman, "Professor Mumblebore may soon be permanently silenced. I suppose I DID wish for less academics in the world..." She sent Pike off in the direction of the Professor's rooms, and reflected that whoever was laying waste to the remnant in the college seemed to prefer male victims.

Small comfort, but one to which she clung hopefully as the night drew in.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As dawn dawned over St. Damian's, everyone looked suspiciously vertical: no-one had died overnight.

I'll give until 8am EST Saturday for nominating, then we'll go until 8am EST Tuesday with the votes.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

I still think it more likely to be Chelley than Mumblebore, so I will nominate the librarian. However I will vote in accord with the majority.

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

My only expertise in murder is watching 'Murder She Wrote'... but of course, this being 1889 (or something like that) I am very ahead of my time! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

I was protecting Mrs Layman, for what it's worth.

If I wasn't suspicious of Mumblebore previously I would be now: he's been loudly predicting that the SCUM will target me and then the SCUM have gone and targeted someone else. It looks like an unsubtle attempt at reverse psychology to me.

I nominate Mumblebore.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I realise that non-participants probably aren't allowed to post on this thread, but I'm sitting on the edge of my chair here: whodunnit? whodunnit?)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

"Well, thank you so much for that announcement, Dr.Logge. If we don't lynch the murderer this time around, then they will know I am fair game this coming night. I am most humbly appreciative of the good work done in protecting my household last night, but I do wish you had kept that information to yourself. All I can say, is that the majority had best get it right, this time."

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Well done Dai.

(I also thought Mrs. Layman might be the real target, which is why I flagged this up last night.)

I continue to assert that Mumblebore dunnit. But he's nominated already.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
If we don't lynch the murderer this time around, then they will know I am fair game this coming night.

I think that they knew that already.

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

It's Cambridge Lucky Winter. First JFO'H, and then SCUM twice hit the wrong target. How likely is all this coinciding?
quote:
I was protecting Mrs Layman, for what it's worth.

Well done! Hurrah!
quote:
If I wasn't suspicious of Mumblebore previously I would be now: he's been loudly predicting that the SCUM will target me and then the SCUM have gone and targeted someone else. It looks like an unsubtle attempt at reverse psychology to me.

Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows? :-) Kill me and you'll find out.
quote:
My only expertise in murder is watching 'Murder She Wrote'... [Big Grin]

Yep, it looks like your methods were a bit too old-fashioned for the modern youth. You should use Dafyd's and my method: a coin or random generator often works miracles of unpredictability.
Whatever peeps think, I won't do anything like „Murder He Wrote“. My pen has dried up for the day. But I know who dunnit.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

"My Goodness, but the cook has been ominously quiet," thought Mrs.Layman. "I wonder what she thinks of all this?"

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

quote:
quote:
My only expertise in murder is watching 'Murder She Wrote'... [Big Grin]

Yep, it looks like your methods were a bit too old-fashioned for the modern youth. You should use Dafyd's and my method: a coin or random generator often works miracles of unpredictability.
Whatever peeps think, I won't do anything like „Murder He Wrote“. My pen has dried up for the day. But I know who dunnit.

You are a rather presumptuous young man! "Old fashioned" indeed! And I have had no need for coins or random generators as, like most others here, I have tried to use my logic to work out who's guilty. I can understand why Dafyd may have wanted to employ a random method of choice but still can't see why you would/did earlier unless you didn't care who was got rid of!

[ 26. November 2011, 00:15: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Prof Bumblebore shook his grey mane. Apparently he could grow a beard down to his knees and still the staff would address him as "young man!" when they reproached him It always made him feel very bad when the cleaner lady scolded: You really ought not put the alarm in the fridge and the marmelade on the bedside table. No wonder you're always late for your lectures! Oh really, one day I'll have to tell your mum."

quote:
I can understand why Dafyd may have wanted to employ a random method of choice but still can't see why you would/did earlier unless you didn't care who was got rid of!

So you DID understand, see. Because SCUM do care who gets got rid of, i.e. none of their own. While we (not you) honest folk, don't, at least not in the beginning.

Oh, Mrs Layman, while Dafyd is no doubt a very fine young man whom your mother would approve of, there are moments in life when it is better not to take the advice of Mr Nice Guy. But rather from the bad boy with the wild beard and reputation. Especially when, as in this case your instincts coincide with his advice... This would have left you the chance of lynching Chelley first and on the off-chance that she proved innocent, go for that utterly irrational big cat.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

Let the votes begin!

The options are:

Chelley nominated by Barbara Layman (Banner Lady)
Mumblebore (Sylvander) nominated by Dai (Dafyd)
TESS

You have until 8am EST Tuesday to cast your votes.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

My internet connection is actually working at the minute, so I’m going to vote before it gives up the ghost again [Roll Eyes]

• Mumblebore
•• Miss Chelley

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

quote:

quote:
I can understand why Dafyd may have wanted to employ a random method of choice but still can't see why you would/did earlier unless you didn't care who was got rid of!

So you DID understand, see. Because SCUM do care who gets got rid of, i.e. none of their own. While we (not you) honest folk, don't, at least not in the beginning.

Er, I think it's *us* citizens who do actually care who's got rid of! But you say that you didn't care???

1. Mumblebore
2. TESS
3. Miss Chelley

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

1. Mumblebore
2. Chelley
3. TESS

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Smudgetta crawls miserably from the kitchen, though it is unclear whether her misery is at the guilt of discovering that the former head cook was innocent after all or at the huge amount of washing up and potato peeling which she seems to have inherited from her. Probably a combination of the two have kept her closeted away in the scullery (*either that or an unexpected trip to France with her brother!)

With Lucy's innocence, Smudgetta has now begun to doubt herself, but realises that a vote for Mumbledore would at least seal the certainty of a lynching, which is probably our best chance of making the most of Mrs Layman's narrow escape at this stage in the game.

1) Mumbledore
2) Chelley
3) TESS

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Et tu, Brute?
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Mrs. Layman's hand hung heavily over the voting paper. She had a terrible feeling she was signing her own death warrant.

But as the majority were sure Professor Mumblebore was SCUM, she acquiesced to their determination to get rid of him.

If they were right, then the last obstacle between her husband and the Mastership of St.Damian's would be removed. If they were wrong...she shuddered. Sleep would not come easily tonight.

Her pen shakily wrote: Professor Mumblebore.

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

With the first unanimous expression of opinion at St. Damian's since the vote on whether to stop serving liver and onions, Prof. Mumblebore goes to the noose. He was an ordinary citizen.

I'll give 47 hours and 10 minutes for night actions (till 8am EST Tuesday), but hopefully we can get done earlier.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Mumblebore may have been innocent as far as SCUM was concerned, and his death was indeed untimely for that reason. The cook - now head cook, of course - felt bad about that. But not too bad - the place was much quieter without that old buffoon rambling and waffling around.. if only there had not been another bit of undiscovered SCUM sullying the water. At least now it was fairly clear who that SCUM was... but their murderous tendencies looked likely to lead to another innocent death tonight.

She shuddered... and made herself a nice warm reassuring cup of tea.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Dear friends,
I moved. Kindly direct all further correspondence to

Prof. Eustace Mumblebore
Row 4a, lot 56
St. Dunstan's-by-the-bookshelf Churchyard
Cambridge DE3 AD71

Yours sincerely
Mumblebore

He hesitated and, remembering that he had no friends to send his note to, tore it up. He heard the bunch of removal men coming up the stairs. Strange, to judge by the pitch of their voices they rather seemed to be in touch with their feminine side.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016