homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Coin a new churchy word (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Coin a new churchy word
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone knows we Christians already have a whole weird vocabulary unintelligible to the rest of the human race.....

Idea arising out of a post here - to make up new words for denominations, groups, activities within a church setting, and what they might mean.

Evangelicalista = an evangelical who serves great after-church coffee.

[ 12. February 2012, 01:07: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eccleselastic - not being rigidly bound to any particular denomination or being in a state of church-shopping.
Birdseye

I can see my house from here!
# 5280

- Posted      Profile for Birdseye   Author's homepage   Email Birdseye   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worship-Warden: responsible for the distribution of the 'shakers' and tambourines to the small children in the one 'child friendly' noisy song at the family service... the rest of the time they patrol the pews during hymns ensuring an appropriate, though not excessive, engagement in praise activities.

Incensible: the state into which the operator of the thurible is rendered by excessively strong or illegal incense.

Crucible : The state in which a gathered congregation, individual or object, is ready to recieve a priestly blessing.

--------------------
Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans.
a birdseye view

Posts: 1615 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Playtheism (and Playganism) - falsely professing to be non-christian in order to shock parents/teachers or get out of Church on Sunday.
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Organophobe - a modern worship-group leader who detests modern church music and makes their views known on every possible occasion. This, of course, has its opposite, the organoholic who can never get enough of said instrument in worship and believes that guitars are an abomination invented by the devil.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Narcohomiletic= Sermonizing that causes the sudden onset of sleep.
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Numpubum ("u" as in "pew") - an acute pain in the posterior caused by sitting for too long in a position of attentive listening.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mockingale
Shipmate
# 16599

- Posted      Profile for Mockingale   Email Mockingale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Episcopale - the Anglican beverage of choice after a late choir rehearsal.

/I think I might have inspired this thread.

Posts: 679 | From: Connectilando | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Mintercessions - someone sucking a sweet who has been unexpectedly "jumped on" to lead prayers.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Two-Owls:
Playtheism (and Playganism) - falsely professing to be non-christian in order to shock parents/teachers or get out of Church on Sunday.

Brilliant.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clergysequious - An adjective used to describe someone who becomes excessively reverent when in the presence of a priest, minister or nun.

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Altarnation: holding a family service on weeks 1 and 3 of the month and holy communion on weeks 2 and 4.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whispers -- a worship service held in the late afternoon, characterized by inaudible prayers.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Mintercessions - someone sucking a sweet who has been unexpectedly "jumped on" to lead prayers.

I'm pretty sure this word (mintercessions) also refers to the tin of Altoids kept in the vestry or choir room to save the rest of the choir or vested ministers from the breath of others.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
East Anglican: An Episcopalian from Suffolk

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Praiseworthy - aged congregant who never fails to say 'Hallelujah' loudly during the service.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

Zenglican (and Zafulic*) - Someone eager to re-invent an eastern style meditative spirituality within their local parish church.

*a Zafu is the little round cushion that Zen practitioners sit on to meditate.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Altarnun is a real place in Creamtealand. But I like to think it means:

A person who has tried, but withdrawn from, taking full vows, but nevertheless finds herself drawn like a magnet to serving in the sanctuary of her local parish church.

We have an Altarnun in our church - do you?

--------------------

Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Choirister

One who sings in the choir, but probably shouldn't, as their singing causes all around to go "Ow!"

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Interrectum Appointing a new vicar by the back door.

--------------------

Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Musicmudgeon - an opinionated, grumpy church organist

Pax Romana

[ 27. October 2011, 20:11: Message edited by: Pax Romana ]

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The scaristan is that dragon lady in church of the sacristy.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have kitchestans, which are a related species.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In our place, they're quite often the same DL ... [Eek!]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Evanjellyfish - Christians who make the faith look really attractive, but hide the nasty sting in the tale until it is too late to get away.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thurberule A comic mishap involving an incense burner

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Loquacious beachcomber
Shipmate
# 8783

- Posted      Profile for Loquacious beachcomber     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Implaquable: A congreation with an absolute rule against tacking memorial or "in dedication" plaques onto any of the Holy Hardware.

--------------------
TODAY'S SPECIAL - AND SO ARE YOU (Sign on beachfront fish & chips shop)

Posts: 5954 | From: Southeast of Wawa, between the beach and the hiking trail.. | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Indeacnant Reaction by junior clergy to the priest overstepping his authority

Indeacate Point out to the Presiding cleric where he or she is in the service

--------------------

Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Widow's Smite

The look kids get from the old grannies when they try to take money out of the offering plate

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Evanjellyfish - Christians who make the faith look really attractive, but hide the nasty sting in the tale until it is too late to get away.

I bow before your literary brilliance! [Overused]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

Sacribitcher

An older woman sacristy volunteer who gets extremely upset when someone puts one of the vessels on the wrong shelf.

Pax Romana

--------------------
James Thurber

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

This is in fact the actual title of the monthly magazine put out by the Diocese of St. Edmundsbury & Ipswich!
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Whispers -- a worship service held in the late afternoon, characterized by inaudible prayers.

Presumably the version used by the Church in Wales in called Mumbles - especially in the Swansea area. What the Welsh speakers might call it, I haven't a clue.
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

(Think I've seen this one on the ship somewhere before - but this is the place for it):

Anglocathoholic person (usually male) addicted to incense, lots of candles, gin and dressing up.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Beginning How anglo-catholics start a meeting.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:

This is in fact the actual title of the monthly magazine put out by the Diocese of St. Edmundsbury & Ipswich!
[Hot and Hormonal]

As the wife of an Essex Man™ I probably ought to have known that, but I didn't. Honestly.

--------------------

crynwrcymraeg
Shipmate
# 13018

- Posted      Profile for crynwrcymraeg   Email crynwrcymraeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

Presumably the version used by the Church in Wales in called Mumbles - especially in the Swansea area. What the Welsh speakers might call it, I haven't a clue.
What a bout Mwmial or Myngial ? [Smile]

--------------------
I ignored the admins and now I'm Erin's bitch.

Posts: 522 | From: Ty'n Coed | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

Romeantics: the weekly bingo games at many Catholic parishes in the United States. This can be expanded to include bake sales, raffles, dinner dances and other revenue-earning activities that have nothing to do with liturgy or pastoral work.

Pax Romana

--------------------
James Thurber

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver Faux:
Implaquable: A congreation with an absolute rule against tacking memorial or "in dedication" plaques onto any of the Holy Hardware.

But in other places you might have:

Memento Significans Objects with overly prominent dedication plaques

Memento Monstrosi Ugly and obsolete objects originally given by someone whose distant descendant still worships here on occasion.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

OK Chorale when the choir manage to get the anthem right.

Renduring when they don't.

--------------------

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

Sermoan - the act of whingeing from the pulpit.

Wranglican - someone who invokes the name of the church in order to try and get a better deal.

Seventh Day Avoidist - someone who is there for every church gathering or social, except for the service on Sunday.

Fearlogian - a hellfire and damnation kind of theologian.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Geekon A person at the first stage of ordination who is able to minister to the church website.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Yukarist - you haven't tasted the horrible wime we use in our church!
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coughy the usual drink for after services, which is liable to cause some spluttering.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

Caffeine Water: church coffee, from a Folgers or Maxwell House tin, made by elderly ladies who diligently make sure it is not too strong.

Pax Romana

--------------------
James Thurber

MrsDoyle
Shipmate
# 13579

- Posted      Profile for MrsDoyle   Author's homepage   Email MrsDoyle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clamice

A moist linen garment retreaved from a sweaty celebrant.

Posts: 343 | From: Manchester.England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
MrsDoyle
Shipmate
# 13579

- Posted      Profile for MrsDoyle   Author's homepage   Email MrsDoyle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raptism

Hip-hop liturgical setting for the initiation of new Christians.

MrsDoyle
Shipmate
# 13579

Evangeline

Term to describe Susan whose Gospel account was trumped by her male counterparts

MrsDoyle
Shipmate
# 13579

Prambulatory

Very Junior Church procession

MrsDoyle
Shipmate
# 13579

Acolate

The reason there is only one candle bearer in the procession.

I know, I should get out more [Roll Eyes]

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016