homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Use that phrase (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Use that phrase
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am playing looky noncontrariety with my ocelot.

plastic fantastic

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Her boob job could be labelled as nothing short of plastic fantastic.

Squelchy cutlery

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It having been soaking in soapy and rather slimy water for several days, the squelchy cutlery was overdue to be rinsed and put away.

Vast banner

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vast banner unfurled by protesting giant.
In unrelated news, local boy falls from overgrown beanstalk.

parenthetical delusion

[argh, can't spell for toffee today]

[ 23. August 2011, 10:23: Message edited by: joan knox ]

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The supporters of (South) Sydney persisted with their parenthetical delusion that they could win (the comp).

limp rigidity

--------------------
A careless shoestring in whose tie
I see a wild civility

Posts: 1194 | From: NSW | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, so you've met my husband, then.

Crass civility

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hyacinth Bucket's etiquette club was a boorish exercise in crass civility; its monotony only occasionally relieved by the affable vulgarity and hilarious embarrassment of her brother-in-law Onslow's unannounced visits.

mix ditto

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Add the flour to the mix, ditto the salt and baking powder.

infuriating sassafras

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My trip to 'Holland and Barrett' was most infuriating, sassafras was completely sold out.

concentrating diapason

[ 23. August 2011, 20:09: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Sorry, could you repeat what you said; I wasn't concentrating."

"'Diapason' was what I said. Come on, wake up, otherwise you'll fail your music exam tomorrow."

"Ah yes, now I remember. What did you say it meant?"

bingo illegibility

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bos Loquax
Shipmate
# 16602

- Posted      Profile for Bos Loquax   Email Bos Loquax   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having contended with that bingo illegilibity for longer than we should've, we went for shuffleboard instead--only to find the numbers scrawled in the same bad hand.

sentimental lacuna

Posts: 58 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The pages inexplicably torn out of my Reader's Digest were certainly a sentimental lacuna, making me misty-eyed for those character-building days of the Great Depression when we heated our house by burning books in the living room.

Montessori vocational-school

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I received my early pre-teaching education at the local Montessori vocational school.

port guessing

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

- Posted      Profile for Herrick   Email Herrick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I finished off the last of the port guessing that my host would suggest cognac next.

subtle obtuseness

--------------------
I see a wild civility

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fred wasn't blatantly stupid and obstructive, it was more of a subtle obtuseness.

iron mastication

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

When I carried in the steaks from the barbeque Janine put down the iron, mastication was her priority now.

--------------------
I see a wild civility

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Herrick:

New words?

--------------------

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looky Contrariety is a vert odd stage name.

monacles popping

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and using an ocelot as a musical instrument would be sure to get monocles popping.

saintly poltergeist

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peter the saintly poltergeist had the unusual habit of laying rugs straight, opening doors for people and tidying up.

shiny trinity

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The parish church had become known as "Shiny Trinity" ever since they had received the bequest enabling them to gold-plate the spire and install high-intensity floodlighting.

Eirenic Dissimulation

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr Slope's persistent lying in Parochial Church Council meetings had been infuriating colleagues for years, but it was his lofty dismissal of his habit as eirenic dissimulation which finally got him the thump on the nose.

chilled balls of fire

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since everyone had enjoyed his new cocktail at the last Christmas party, Peter decided that considering the summer heat it was time to introduce a new more seasonal version: chilled balls of fire.

Pleasing disaster

--------------------

agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Election Day, I hope you-know-who suffers a pleasing disaster.

gourmet gazebo

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Great grub to be got in the gourmet gazebo

contradictory horse

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

The contradictory horse dissed his jockey when asked to run.

Pusillanimous perquisite

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

The new chief executive was a fanatic about cutting costs. His first decision on taking up his new role was a direct and courageous challenge to those employees prone to be self-indulgent, weak-willed and pusillanimous: "perquisite policy no. 1" - no more flying first class.

stainless accordion

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Miraculously, Uncle Metro emerged from the perogy-and-sausage food fight at his niece's wedding reception unsplattered and grinding away on a still-stainless accordion.

(A rough idea of what I'm envisioning.)

scathing vespers

[ 25. August 2011, 22:36: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking to the novices, the Abbot was scathing: "Vespers", he said, "is not intended to be the final refuge of the insomniac".

Chaotic rigidity

[ 25. August 2011, 23:35: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

It had been a long while since he had been to church, so, true to his upbringing, he erred on the side of respect and turned up in a suit and tie. Little did he know that the acceptable dress code for this 'community church' was garish bermuda shorts, t-shirts and not much else. Such inverted formality and chaotic rigidity made him feel like he was the real non-conformist!

mush prognosticating

--------------------

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

Not so long ago I visited a web forum which had a game where you had to get odd phrases like "mush prognosticating" into the middle of a sentence.

parallel chimpanzees

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

While I liked the Noah's ark you made, I would have liked it better if it were more realistic and not so geometrical as to have things like parallel rats each to the right of a set of parallel chimpanzees.

voyeuristic stuffing

--------------------

Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

Upon catching the male undergrad peering through a high window into the womens' showers, the dean said "If I see you doing that again, I'll beat the voyeuristic stuffing out of you!"

locomotive sausage

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the dining car of the locomotive, sausage and beans was served, bizarrely, on a silver salver.

tumultuously lackadaisical

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Objection! Locomotives don't have dining cars (although they may trail them behind them) -trains do. Well, they used to until National Express took them off.

Can you kindly have another go, please? I know it's not an easy one.

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan
Objection! Locomotives don't have dining cars (although they may trail them behind them) -trains do. Well, they used to until National Express took them off.

Can you kindly have another go, please? I know it's not an easy one.

Allow me to have a go...

The train spotter's perfect start to the day: breakfast at Al's cafe next to the station; a window seat with a clear view of the old restored steam locomotive; sausage, bacon, mushrooms and beans piled up on his plate and a shiny new issue of The Railway Magazine before him, ready to be devoured from cover to cover.

Now let's go back to...

tumultuously lackadaisical

--------------------

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was obvious that everything was becoming tumultuously lackadaisical to me.

French natter

--------------------
I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am going

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

After attending a party at the embassy and listening to the French natter on with their self-aggrandizing recollections of May 68, Rupert was quite happy that the history of his own plucky little nation had gone differently.

flirtatious Albion

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

"Flirtatious Albion" proved to be a challenging theme for the flower-arrangers of the local British Legion. But red, white and blue were successfully mixed with pink lace and frills in the end.

Obsequious authoritarianism.

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

During the generalissimo's campaign of obsequious authoritarianism, political prisoners were herded into police wagons while policemen yelled "You're Number One!!" and "You guys rock!!" through bullhorns.

paranthetical moonlight

--------------------

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

- Posted      Profile for WhateverTheySay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking up through the trees last night, I could see parenthetical moonlight shining back at me.

Absurdity shining

--------------------

Posts: 872 | From: Lost in Space, without a map | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the Ionesco festival one could see absurdity shining forth from every stage and venue.

Negative tongue

--------------------
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

He certainly deserved his rather less than flattering nickname. His English literature pupils - well immersed in Tolkien - had seen their teacher in the pages of The Lord of the Rings, and only someone with his cynical attitude, and with such a slanderous and negative tongue wagging in his gloomy head, could justly be called 'Wormtongue'.

cruelly reboil

--------------------

Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

The boiled lobster was still twitching, so the chef felt he had no choice but to cruelly reboil it.

Farewell processor

--------------------
-----------

Herrick
Shipmate
# 15226

As I dumped my ex PC I said, "Farewell processor."

murine equine

--------------------
I see a wild civility

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

"Murine ... equine" is to the animal kingdom what "Trabant ... Mercedes" is to German car manufacturing.

meaninglessly unjam

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

Even though I knew the printer was out of ink, I couldn't stand to see the reproachful blinking light saying that it was jammed, so I felt the meaninglessly unjam it.

wiggly laptop

--------------------

WhateverTheySay
Shipmate
# 16598

When I hadn't slept for days, I saw my wiggly laptop wiggling in front of me.

Fiery horns

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"It's not too OTT?" said Lucifer. "I mean the boots, the cape and the fiery horns?"

eloquent lettuce

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

The eloquent lettuce lectured the other vegetables on their responsibility to provide top-notch nutrition.

Orienting outside

--------------------
-----------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016