homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2011 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2011 Celebrity Death Pool
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No more Q and Koko. [Frown]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
No more Q and Koko. [Frown]

[Waterworks] Mum and I alternate(d) in buying those books. [Votive]

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read some of the cat who books. Really enjoyed them.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Donald Hewlett, another one to file in the "I thought he'd been dead for years" category. Before he became known as a screen and TV actor, he was a founder member of Kirkwall Arts Club in Orkney, and I remember him turning up to make a speech after the club's 40th anniversary production of The Importance of Being Earnest.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clarence Clemens has died. The Angel
Gabriel is now concerned about job security. [Votive]

[ 19. June 2011, 02:45: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Sorry-- Clemons.)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peter Falk. [Frown]

Once apon a time a little girl saw Colombo and decided she was going to be an actor, too. He was so good.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peter Falk has died. Although I am half expecting Columbo to turn around as he reaches the gates of Heaven to "just ask one last question."

[ETA: cross-posted with comet.]

[ 24. June 2011, 18:36: Message edited by: Hedgehog ]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hope he wasn't one of my "regulars" that I decide migh last another year

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He was still on your list this year.

Deckhand, Timothy the Obscure, and Cottontail also had him.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very sad. There will never be another like Columbo. Falks portrayal of him was awesome, and part of folklore.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A sad way to break my duck. He always came across as gentle and wise, and I loved his turn in The Princess Bride.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rest in peace, Mr. Falk. [Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Rest in peace, Mr. Falk. [Tear] [Votive]

He was one of the best. RIP.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
agrgurich
Shipmate
# 5724

- Posted      Profile for agrgurich   Email agrgurich   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Otto von Hapsburg, 98

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/royalty-obituaries/8616240/Archduke-Otto-von-Habsburg.html

--------------------
Life is a comedy to those who think & a tragedy to those who feel.-Horace Walpole

AJG

Posts: 4478 | From: Michigan's Copper Country | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Betty Ford has passed away at the age of 93.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She was a brilliant and gutsy lady. RIP Betty.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A great woman. Thanks, Betty. RIP.
exHirsch
Apprentice
# 16095

- Posted      Profile for exHirsch   Email exHirsch       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Betty Ford passed away today. She was on my list. That was #3 for me. I need to know who is winning?
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

ex, you're not doing too badly. But Gwai has us all trailing well behind.

The scorecard is here.

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks basso. I'm surprised to be joint second.Thought I'd be much lower down the scoreboard.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, me too.

(I thought I'd given Betty the Kiss of Life this year by leaving her off my list. Sadly, no.)

--------------------
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
The scorecard is here.

I didn't realize I had points! yay! thank you Osama Bin Laden. er... well. heh.

(woot!)

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm quite convinced that Ossie's removal from planet Earth was due in part to my forgetting to put him on my list ... [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

Lord Harewood has died at 88.
12 points to PeteC, and a nod to him for persistence. Harewood was one of his picks for at least the past 5 years.

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Googie Withers has died, aged 94.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently Amy Winehouse has been found dead.

As PaulW said, it's very sad, but point-tastic for me in this competition. She was only 27 years old.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My second thought on hearing the news after, isn't that sad, was wonder if anyone had in the death pool.

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Surfing Madness:
My second thought on hearing the news after, isn't that sad, was wonder if anyone had in the death pool.

Tragically, it was close to my first thought!

I am so wrong sometimes.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal]

My first thought was "I know she's on quite a few people's lists."

I think I should've stuck to the decorating today, instead of reading too much news.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:

As PaulW said, it's very sad, but point-tastic for me in this competition.

Yeah, one of my FB pals posted it, and it took me a while to confirm it (while, ironically, I'm listening to the news ... hasn't made the "top of the hour"/breaking headlines).

What. A. Tragic. Waste.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's entirely my fault for taking her off my list. But seriously, Amazing Grace is right. A waste. A tragic waste.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

Well, if I hadn't left Betty off my list, I'd be tied with Gwai for Leader [Biased]

(I know this sounds bad. As the full horror of the Norwegian tragedy unfolds, I'm working overtime to compensate. And I'm also yelling HEROIN SUCKS.)

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

It is very sad. She was off my list this year ( sadly for my points ), because I thought she was getting her life together again.

The fact that is is somewhat expected does not detract from the sadness of it. She had real talent, but could not handle the fame.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

one of the best voices of this generation. but I'm not surprised. I kept her on my list because I sort of expected it. A great loss.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first thought was "death pool" and I'm not even taking part!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Piglet fesses up ...

My first thought, too, was blimey, 73 points. [Hot and Hormonal]

May she rest in peace; it seems she didn't have much peace in her earthly life.

[Votive]

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I noticed that noone mentioned Lucien Freud who died a few days ago. I don't think anyone had him, but I feel his passing should be marked here too.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:

As PaulW said, it's very sad, but point-tastic for me in this competition.

Yeah, one of my FB pals posted it, and it took me a while to confirm it (while, ironically, I'm listening to the news ... hasn't made the "top of the hour"/breaking headlines).

What. A. Tragic. Waste.

Not the slightest bit surprised. I had her on my list last year but never got round to doing one this year.

[ 23. July 2011, 21:26: Message edited by: Sparrow ]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I suppose she'd have been Top News Story if it hadn't been for the events in Norway.

[Votive]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess, my first thought was that if I was play.. oops - had a list, Amy Winehouse would have been on it. Sadly, one of the reasons I didn't was that a couple of people I know / knew personally who have wikipedia pages are really ill, and it felt like cheating to name them (one died in February). (And 48 points from someone you served on committees with / used to go out drinking with really is in bad taste.)

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to confess that when I heard, my first thought was "Damn--I took her off my list..."

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

(sigh)

OK, I was holding back because I felt it was too soon, but due to the fact that she was nominated several times each year every year since I started paying attention, I think Amy Winehouse needs to be named the Special Patron Saint of the Death Pool. We love you, girl. [Votive]

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very sad, but not much of a surprise really. I'd have had her on my list if I'd bothered to compile one this year. 27 is too young for anyone, though, regardless of how 'alternative' a lifestyle they lived.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But 27 years puts her in the company of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, Kurt Cobain, and Robert Johnson.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
But 27 years puts her in the company of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Brian Jones, Kurt Cobain, and Robert Johnson.

Which is an interesting aspect that seems to be making some good column inches. I suspect there are two reasons behind this being a common date for them to die:

1. There is a limit - probably around 10 years - of abusing a body before it gives up.

2. 25+ is when people seem to grow up. I suspect the shock of this would be enough to kill some of these.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:

Which is an interesting aspect that seems to be making some good column inches. I suspect there are two reasons behind this being a common date for them to die:

1. There is a limit - probably around 10 years - of abusing a body before it gives up.

2. 25+ is when people seem to grow up. I suspect the shock of this would be enough to kill some of these.

I reckon that's about as valid as my observation that the 'seven-year itch' that is supposed to coincide with marital breakdowns is caused by all the wedding presents needing replacement at about the same time.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

Since the causes of death are asphyxiation, overdose, heart attack (maybe), drowning, suicide by shotgun, and poisoning, I'm not sure one can draw any meaningful conclusion. It may just be that people who make it past 27 have learned to be careful, if they didn't learn earlier.

--------------------
  - C. P. Snow

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another former rocker has died. Dan Peek , co-founder of the U.S. band America died on January 24 at the age of 60.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

John Stott has died. He has been a blessing to many people, and he will be missed.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016