homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2011 Celebrity Death Pool (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2011 Celebrity Death Pool
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously no-one had Gary Speed...

Lana Peters, Stalin's daughter, has died aged 85. I was briefly at school with her daughter, and hope that the world has treated her well because she was nice. Bit of a corny sentiment, but there.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hubert Sumlin, 1931-2011. [Votive]

Rest in peace and rock in glory.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BessLane
Shipmate
# 15176

- Posted      Profile for BessLane   Email BessLane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harry Morgan , who played Col. Potter on M*A*S*H died today, as did singer Dobie Gray.

--------------------
It's all on me and I won't tell it.
formerly BessHiggs

Posts: 1388 | From: Yorkville, TN | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved M*A*S*H, and still think it the best TV show ever. Rest in peace, Col. Potter.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2 Days ago - Alan Sues of Laugh In fame.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
M*A*S*H - was totally original, completely awesome, and hilarious. Col Potter was brilliant, with the fantastic way he interacted with so many of the other characters, and brought them together.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another M*A*S*H fan here - it was one of the very few decent comedies to come from that side of the Pond.

RIP Col. Potter.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met him, when I was a baby. he came to our homestead and stayed a week. I don't remember, of course, but my mom remembers him as being lovely. and very willing to dive into hauling water and splitting wood and all that stuff. Helluva actor.

that's the second loss from M*A*S*H this year. director Charlie Dubin died in September.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another mention for Harry Morgan. I suspected he played himself as Col. Potter, including that no-nonsense streak that could, when necessary, bring God up with a start.

I'll miss Dobie Gray too. Drift Away was a karaoke favourite of mine.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Hubert Sumlin, 1931-2011. [Votive]

Rest in peace and rock in glory.

Came here to post this. Glad I am not the only one to remember him here. Shame those he influenced are better remembered than he.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Brazilian football legend, doctor and political radical Socrates has died at 57. The headline is sensationalist but it's no surprise he died young.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christopher Hitchens.

gone to the Great Big... oh, wait. [Biased]

I think we can pray for his soul anyway. a very good writer.

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You beat me to it, Comet! I was just confirming he was on my list. (A cursory read shows that Mamacita and Genevieve also had him.)

A lot of moving tributes coming through my feed on FB and Twitter. One I particularly liked, from a guy who is normally playing "the class clown": "I always saved [his] articles to read later. I wanted to be as smart a reader as he was a writer. RIP."

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW, I'm hoping to update the list, and initiate the 2012 thread this weekend. Sorry things are a little slow. [Frown]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
Christopher Hitchens.

gone to the Great Big... oh, wait. [Biased]

I think we can pray for his soul anyway. a very good writer.

"Good evening, Christopher. I think you and I need to have a little talk."

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Russell Hoban has died.
As a family we love his Frances the badger books, and Riddley Walker is a novel I can't forget.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mouse and His Child was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. [Tear]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week, the angels in Heaven are singing melancholical songs about fishermen who got lost at sea.

One of the greatest voices of the 20th Century was silenced last Saturday. She stopped singing in September for health reasons; she deserved some more time of rest, but it was not to be.

I am a big fan of her.

Cesária Évora, descanse em paz (rest in peace).

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
joan knox

Knoxy is my homeboy
# 16100

- Posted      Profile for joan knox     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vaclav Havel is now writing with the angels...

--------------------
Jesus saves, Allah protects, Buddha enlightens, Cthulhu thinks you'll make a nice sandwich

Posts: 906 | From: edinburgh | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joe Simon, co-creator of Captain America, died on December 14. Unlike his hero, it is unlikely that he will be brought back to life any time before the Final Judgement.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
News just in that Kim Jong Il is dead at age 69.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The BBC report is here.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BUGGER.

Another one who'd been on my list every year. That's three so far.

(OTOH, he's presumably kicked his clogs just to spite me because I didn't get my list in on time, so I credit myself with hastening the demise of a bloody little dictator [Cool] )

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
31 points to me for Kim Jong Il!!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had him too! [Yipee]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had Kim Jong-il too - this is easily the highest score I've ever had.

BTW, when I checked whether I had him, I noticed points hadn't been added for Jimmy Saville - can that be put right?

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh! Yay! I have some points, finally, here near the close of the year! [Yipee]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I couldn't resist passing on the following quote from Ed West in the Daily Telegraph:
quote:
... "Kim Jong-Il joins Osama Bin Laden and Gaddafi at the end of what must be the busiest year for Hell's border authorities since 1945".

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No longer Kim Jong Il, now he's Kim Jong Dead.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just looking at this year's list prior to doing next year's and realised I've actually scored points for the first time ever for Kim Jong-il. Now who to add in his slot for next year?

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
No longer Kim Jong Il, now he's Kim Jong Dead.

Quotes file! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gussie:
I was just looking at this year's list prior to doing next year's and realised I've actually scored points for the first time ever for Kim Jong-il. Now who to add in his slot for next year?

Kim Jong-un?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alert for HRH The Duke of Edinburgh. Only 10 points potentially, but nearly everyone would have to change their 2012 list [Big Grin]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Have you got a link ot a specific report?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!] I took Prince Philip off my list for 2012 only hours before his health scare! Only alteration I made, as well!

News of his hospitalisation is here.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the ridiculous to the sublime (and I know that non-humans don't get a mention in Death Pools), Cheetah died a week ago. He was a genuine movie star and an icon of my childhood afternoons in movie matinees.

[Waterworks]

--------------------

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Blimey - it said in Cheetah's obituary that he was 80 years old. Not that I know anything about these things, but isn't that very old for a chimpanzee?

RIP.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

An article I read because I was curious about that very point says that chimps in captivity usually survive to 60 years. Cheetah lived a very pampered existence I gather. Like the QM surviving well into her 102nd year.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel slightly bad for only noticing Brian Lenihan's death when I looked him up to check on whether I wanted him to stay on my deathpool list for next year! I guess that's what I get for including other country's politicians without closely following their politics! (link)

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

I don't know if anyone had Rob Buckman, but as he wrote Out of Practice, which is one of the funniest books I've ever read, I think he deserves an Honourable Mention.

RIP. [Votive]

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, any final deaths to report from last year. Given that I probably won't have time to complete the results for a few days, you do have a bit of time to get them in, but not too long.

Watch this space for the final results!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes it takes a couple of days for the reports to filter out, even when deliberate obfuscation (e.g. Kim Jong-Il) is not the goal. I'd say that if nobody hears reports in the next day of people who died Dec 30/31, it should be a wrap.

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

On December 30, Ronald Searle died. No foul play is suspected. All the students of St. Trinian's have adequate alibis.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Okay, so I've added up the final scores. The link is here.

There were late surges by several people who picked Hitchens and Kim Jong-Il, but we have a runaway winner (with 209 points!), take a bow Amazing Grace!

Also the Inside Track With The Grim Reaper award goes to Gwai, who scored the first hit of the year on January 4. Very well done.

And finally, the Quantity Not Quality Award happens to be shared between the two highest points scorers, Gwai and Amazing Grace who both predicted an impressive 5 deaths.

--------------------
Brian Clough

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

My best performance by a long way - having never previously had more than one victim (sorry, correct prediction [Big Grin] ), I'm in third place.

[Yipee]

--------------------

Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I managed the top 10! Guess I should have entered for this year.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

tied for fourth! fantastic! I usually get zero. broke that streak two years ago. didn't put much time in this year, though, so I'm not holding my breath.

--------------------

Jigsaw
Shipmate
# 11433

- Posted      Profile for Jigsaw     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
I don't know if anyone had Rob Buckman, but as he wrote Out of Practice, which is one of the funniest books I've ever read, I think he deserves an Honourable Mention.

RIP. [Votive]

A bit late with this, but, for Piglet - he was a brilliant, compassionate cancer doctor, despite being very ill himself for a lot of the time, and wrote books about how to listen to people affected by cancer, such as "I Don't Know What To Say".
Oh, and he also wrote, produced and performed in the Royal Marsden Hospital's Christmas Show for a few years- I remember a sketch where a hapless occupational therapist attempted to teach him, as Superman in full costume, how to make a cup of tea "Tea? Tea? But I can leap tall buildings in a single bound"

--------------------
You are not alone in this.

Posts: 743 | From: Snorbens, UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I have fallen by 11 places. A very mediocre showing. But I have much faith in this year's list.

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Congratulations to Amazing Grace and Gwai! And thank you, IF for all the tallying!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016