homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Jubilee Services - mainly for UK Shipmates.... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Jubilee Services - mainly for UK Shipmates....
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
.....but Commonwealth peeps also, I guess!

As you know, next weekend we celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. I expect there are various local celebrations where you are, but how are you marking the occasion in worship?

We are retaining the propers for Trinity Sunday, but we shall be using some at least of the Jubilee prayers from the C of E website, and we have the following hymns:

And did those feet in ancient times (requested by one of our churchwardens);
Holy, holy, holy, Lord God almighty (coz it's Trinity Sunday);
Jesus is Lord! Creation's voice proclaims it! (coz Jesus is our ultimate King IYSWIM);
The National Anthem (coz it seems appropriate on this occasion, to say the least!).

Cheese and wine after Mass, and a Loyal Toast...

...and some of our people are involved in an evening concert (at a nearby sixth-form college) in aid of Help for Heroes and Combat Stress, which again is an appropriate occasion.

AFAIK, there are no other (immediately) local events, and I'm beginning to think that we should have perhaps taken the lead with a Big Lunch in the street in front of the church, or summink - but I get the impression that maybe there's about as much enthusiasm for the Jubilee around here as there is for the Borelympic Games......

Ian J.

[ 12. September 2012, 17:56: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The what...? [Big Grin]

We'll make mention in the intercessions, but other than that we're sticking with Trinity Sunday.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonfruit
Shipmate
# 15818

- Posted      Profile for moonfruit   Email moonfruit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're keeping the readings etc for Trinity Sunday, but are probably going to use the CofE Jubilee prayer somewhere (link here). There will also be mention made in intercessions, and we'll no doubt be singing Jerusalem and the National Anthem!

[Link fixed. Using "tinyurl.com" will get rid of those pesky % signs.]

[ 13. June 2012, 16:32: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

Posts: 180 | From: Just outside the M25 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At St Clement's Philadelphia a Te Deum is being sung at the conclusion of Mass, in thanksgiving for the 60 year reign of HMQ. Otherwise, standard Trinity Sunday stuff, including this year the Athanasian Creed being sung in procession, not a practice there in recent years at least.

All Saints Margaret Street will no doubt be following the same observances as at the Golden Jubilee -- mention in the intercessions and the national anthem sung at the conclusion of Mass (the music is a certainty, for it is all listed in the music diary for Trinity Sunday on the ASMS website).

Sadly, I shall miss out on the festivities at St Clement's but will be present at Margaret Street for the occasion.

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The papists around here will be doing what we've been told to do by our bishops. God save the Queen.

PS. I'm still preaching about the Trinity.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There'll be a Choral Evensong for the Diamond Jubilee at Chicago Cathedral.
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meaning no offence to anyone, it seems very strange to me that US Churches are having Diamond Jubilee celebrations...

...oh, and someone should tell them it's not the 60th anniversary of her coronation.

[ 26. May 2012, 14:17: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
...oh, and someone should tell them it's not the 60th anniversary of her coronation.

Do we get to do the same again next year?

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

I hope not!

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Meaning no offence to anyone, it seems very strange to me that US Churches are having Diamond Jubilee celebrations...

You're right, of course, about what this is the anniversary of (accession, but respectfully removed from the actual date because it's also the date of the death of her father? or better weather?). As for US churches, I think we can celebrate something we're glad about and feel at least slightly connected to via our C of E heritage. Doesn't amount to treason or anything. And it's a fine reason for a big two-choirs event.
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Luckily, we are a leftie church so there will be no mention of the Queen unless someone sentimental is doing the intercessions.

Trinity Sunday is all we want.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At my shack we shall be doing Trinity.

Shall sing God Save the Queen after the Benediction.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
quote:

You're right, of course, about what this is the anniversary of (accession, but respectfully removed from the actual date because it's also the date of the death of her father? or better weather?). As for US churches, I think we can celebrate something we're glad about and feel at least slightly connected to via our C of E heritage. Doesn't amount to treason or anything. And it's a fine reason for a big two-choirs event.
There are more than a few crypto- and not so crypto- monarchists in TEC. Besides which, St Clement's Philly has a British rector who is a monarchist.
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Luckily, we are a leftie church so there will be no mention of the Queen unless someone sentimental is doing the intercessions.

How thoroughly graceless of you. She is, after all, your Supreme Governor.

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While this Catholic American wishes we could have prayer for Catholic monarchs, especially the Habsburgs, I am fairly certain my pastor will work something into the Mass about the 60th Jubilee!
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
quote:

How thoroughly graceless of you. She is, after all, your Supreme Governor.
She is unelected, has refused any discussion of her role and costs a lot of money which should go to the poor, in the spirit of the gospel.

The Church of England sucks up to the establishment and the moment it is disestablished cannot come too soon.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
She is unelected

Is that a condition of leadership in your "leftie church".

quote:
has refused any discussion of her role
Which role? When?

quote:
and costs a lot of money
About a third of what any comparable Head of State costs their countries.

quote:
which should go to the poor, in the spirit of the gospel.
Is this a leftie version of Godwin's Law? If not, it is still an unsubstantiated assertion than a serious contribution to the debate.

quote:
The Church of England sucks up to the establishment and the moment it is disestablished cannot come too soon.
It always has. It is how it began, how it has almost always acted and how it will carry on. It's in its DNA and it won't change...ever. You'd best accommodate yourself to it.

--------------------

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Was wondering if anyone has ever participated in a BCP Accession Service ?

I don't think I've even had a conversation about this service or ever read if it has been used in the past few decades. Perhaps there are places that use it verbatim every year, I just don't know about it.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

The chapels royal?

[deleted duplicate post]

[ 26. May 2012, 21:55: Message edited by: seasick ]

Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, there are assuredly at least a couple of Americans who use it privately. I'm not sure why though.

--------------------
All hearts are open, all desires known

Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hope not!

I can divulge that in some places we most certainly will.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
She is unelected

quote:
has refused any discussion of her role
Which role? When?

quote:
and costs a lot of money
About a third of what any comparable Head of State costs their countries.

quote:
which should go to the poor, in the spirit of the gospel.
Is this a leftie version of Godwin's Law? If not, it is still an unsubstantiated assertion than a serious contribution to the debate.

quote:
It always has. It is how it began, how it has almost always acted and how it will carry on. It's in its DNA and it won't change...ever. You'd best accommodate yourself to it.

Too much for me at this time of night - but - why do we have to have a 'head of state'?

The title 'supreme governor' stuck during the reign (I think) of an adulterous king who wanted to separate two provinces from the rest of the Western Church - and i want to return to it - with the rest, not individually or via the odinariate.

The campaign group Republic's '60 Inglorious Years' suggests that
quote:
e Queen’s reign has been characterised by “personal enrichment, feeble leadership and an obstinate refusal to allow real scrutiny of her role”. ...we have a silent monarch, offering nothing but an empty space where an inspiring leader could be.”

The Queen is also accused of “blurring the line between national assets and private wealth” and displaying a “cavalier disregard for public money”.“We’re told that even republicans must accept without question that the Queen has ‘done a good job’ and ‘not put a foot wrong’. This kind of McCarthy-style silencing of dissent is unacceptable in a modern democracy.”

must dig out my old badge from the 25th jubilee which read, 'Who are the scroungers? Stuff the Jubilee.'

--------------------

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
Too much for me at this time of night - but - why do we have to have a 'head of state'?

Excellent response. I have no idea.

quote:
The title 'supreme governor' stuck during the reign (I think) of an adulterous king who wanted to separate two provinces from the rest of the Western Church - and i want to return to it - with the rest, not individually or via the
Well, I seem to remember that bad King Hal was "Supreme Head". It was his bastard daughter by the Adultress Ann who finessed it to "Supreme Governor". Nonetheless, your lovely diocesan Bishop took an oath to uphold Brenda in that position.

quote:
The campaign group Republic's '60 Inglorious Years' suggests that
quote:
e Queen’s reign has been characterised by “personal enrichment, feeble leadership and an obstinate refusal to allow real scrutiny of her role”. ...we have a silent monarch, offering nothing but an empty space where an inspiring leader could be.”

The Queen is also accused of “blurring the line between national assets and private wealth” and displaying a “cavalier disregard for public money”.“We’re told that even republicans must accept without question that the Queen has ‘done a good job’ and ‘not put a foot wrong’. This kind of McCarthy-style silencing of dissent is unacceptable in a modern democracy.”

Lovely bit of 1970s agitprop that. Powerful antidote to the double bank holiday. Almost enough to make me feel guilty...almost, but not quite.

quote:
must dig out my old badge from the 25th jubilee which read, 'Who are the scroungers? Stuff the Jubilee.'
On my way from Oxford to Cuddesdon last Wednesday, I was very struck by the graffiti on the old railway bridge at Horsepath. It read, "Sod the Silver Jubilee" . Thirty five years of protest: unanswered, uncleaned. How simply marvellous...and to think, the undergraduate probably responsible is now in his or her mid-fifties and respectable. The joys of Britain.

--------------------

Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fear that, being Anglicans in a Commonwealth Realm, we may get something. I most sincerely hope not. I'm with Leo on the value of the monarchy.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

quote:
Originally posted by Mama Thomas:
Was wondering if anyone has ever participated in a BCP Accession Service ?

I don't think I've even had a conversation about this service or ever read if it has been used in the past few decades. Perhaps there are places that use it verbatim every year, I just don't know about it.

We sang it in the chapel of my Cambridge college for the Golden Jubilee followed by a good dinner in hall.

--------------------

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm also with leo on this.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No mention of it at all! [Smile]

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops- just remembered I went into the creche during the sermon, with my 3 new God children, so something may have slipped under the net- but I doubt it!

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mama Thomas
We held an Accession service at Cuddesdon, on the date of the accession this year.

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
your lovely diocesan Bishop took an oath to uphold Brenda in that position.

It was nearly 20 years ago, at my admission and licensing, but I think I had to take a similar oath, along with an oath about the 39 articles. See, I am both a liar and a hypocrite!

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
She is unelected

Indeed not. My license has to be renewed every three years and every time there is a new incumbent. Both s/he and the PCC have to vote to approve or disapprove.

Unlike the RCC, the bishop doesn't foist staff upon parishes without their consent.

[ 27. May 2012, 18:46: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]which should go to the poor, in the spirit of the gospel.

quote:

No, it is based on liberation theology, a theology grown out of RCC moral teaching but which the Vatican has tried to crush at times, The preferential option for the poor - if her maj. is some sort of defender of the faith, than she should defend those poor which the faith teaches.

As for the C of E sucking up to establishment, consider the ructions when Archbishop Runcie prayed for the 'enemy' dead at the Falklands thanksgiving service, or the work of the late and very loved Canon Eric James' Faith and the City' about urban priority areas - it was often said that the C of E was a better opposition than the Labour Party in the Thatcher era.

I shall continue my lifetime practice of sitting down when I encounter the national anthem (except on remembrance Sunday - a whole host of other issues).

I hope I can dig out my 'God save the queen. the fascist regime' should the street party below my window get noisy and patriotic.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hostly Blue Scarf On

Leo, you're <> this close to crusading. Please drop the anti-monarchist argument or take it to Purg.

Mamacita, Eccles Host
Hostly Blue Scarf Off

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
There'll be a Choral Evensong for the Diamond Jubilee at Chicago Cathedral.

Any Chicago-based Shippies want to do a mini-meet afterwards? PM me.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
I fear that, being Anglicans in a Commonwealth Realm, we may get something. I most sincerely hope not. I'm with Leo on the value of the monarchy.

Madame and I both voted for the republic in the referendum, but HM is still our queen and our head of state (no, the GG is not, but we won't go down that path). She has shown a strong sense of duty and also to take her role as a Christian monarch, one of whose realms has as established the church of which she is Supreme Governor on earth, very seriously indeed.

There will be a special prayer in the intercessions for her, and for our nation.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is somewhat confusing to celebrate the accession jubilee on the 59th anniversary of the Coronation, but I can only assume that the weather is better in the UK in June than in February.

The Monarch's official birthday is always in June, a tradition lost in the mists of the early 20th century. So why not the Jubilee?

And, please God, we will celebrate her Coronation anniversary next year. I hope she is about for the 70th anniversary.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Sunday 3 June we shall join in the celebration of Her Majesty’s Diamond Jubilee with appropriate prayers, and by the singing of the first and third verses* of God Save The Queen, and by processing out to Walton’s Orb and Sceptre.

*We shall think the words of the second verse, but it would of course be too unkind to sing them.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matariki
Shipmate
# 14380

- Posted      Profile for Matariki   Author's homepage   Email Matariki   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I shall no doubt include a prayer for her continuing health and well being in our intercessions but we will not sing either God Save The Queen or God Defend New Zealand. If memory serves me right we prayed for Prince William and Catherine on the Sunday after their wedding - as well as for a couple who I had married on that same day. The monarchy is presently very popular here in New Zealand and was boosted by Prince William's visit to Christchurch last year - however its popularity is decideldly stronger amongst older people and even our centre right PM thinks a republic is inevitable.

--------------------
"Nothing we do, however virtuous, can be accompanied alone; therefore we are saved by love." Reinhold Niebuhr.

Posts: 298 | From: Just across the Shire from Hobbiton | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
It is somewhat confusing to celebrate the accession jubilee on the 59th anniversary of the Coronation, but I can only assume that the weather is better in the UK in June than in February.

The selection of the date of the coronation to celebrate the jubilee is driven less by weather and more by the fact that the anniversary of the queen's accession is also the anniversary of her father's death. The accession anniversary is a personal and poignant day, and I recall this being noted in previous jubilee years.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Excellent response. I have no idea.
Quick question - anyone remember who the Head of State of Switzerland is? No, I thought not.

Anyway, our parish notice thingy labels the day "Trinity Sunday".

But there is a rather odd and disturbing line on the next page: "Jubilee Weekend, Trinity Sunday – please wear red, white or blue for the service but we’re not having any special celebration here. If you have local celebrations such as a Big Lunch, please join in with that."

Red, white, and blue? Who ordered that?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

Red, white, and blue? Who ordered that?

The Jubilee gets its own liturgical colours now? Curiouser and curiouser!

(Although I suppose wearing diamonds in its honour might be rather fun...)

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like verse 4! :

quote:
4. Not in this land alone
But be God's mercies known
From shore to shore
Lord make the nations see
That men should brothers be
And form one family
The wide world over

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Helen-Eva
Shipmate
# 15025

- Posted      Profile for Helen-Eva   Email Helen-Eva   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our republican music director is taking the opportunity of the Jubilee to bin his principles and do as much coronation music as humanly possible including Zadok, I Was Glad, and heaven knows what else. Should be fun.

--------------------
I thought the radio 3 announcer said "Weber" but it turned out to be Webern. Story of my life.

Posts: 637 | From: London, hopefully in a theatre or concert hall, more likely at work | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

No they didn't actually ..... Psalm 101 here (David's coronation Psalm - a commitment to character and a commitment to lead.

No National Anthem - I'm too much of a republican to countenance it in church. We're focussing on a faithful God who inspires faithful service.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe William Blake supported the French Revolution (and I suppose you know what that unfortunate movement lead to?)

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At our church on Tuesday 5 June we are showing the Thanksgiving Service from St Paul's on a big screen as our Liturgy of the Word, then we will have our own Gospel Reading, the Peace, Offertory Hymn and the rest of the Liturgy of the Sacrament (and refreshments on the lawn outside afterwards).
Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

No they didn't actually ..... Psalm 101 here (David's coronation Psalm - a commitment to character and a commitment to lead.

Mmmm. Isn't that the point Blake is putting across?

'And did those feet....?' Well, no, obviously they didn't any more than Jerusalem was builded here among dark Satanic mills; so we will build Jerusalem here, hence all the bringing-me-my-bowing and charioting.

I've never understood why so many people think that Blake's opening question is supposed to be taken as a statement that Christ came to England.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

As a republican Anglican, presumably you'd be happy for the CofE to be disestablished?

It seems to me, though, that without the Queen as head of the church, and without establishment, the CofE might cease to exist as a single body. There'd be no reason for all these people with different beliefs and practices to be united in one denomination.

Anyway, as a Methodist, I doubt that the marjoity of Methodist churches will be making much of a fuss. The Queen might be mentioned briefly, but most Methodist churches don't often pray for the Queen. Googling 'Methodist church golden jubilee 2012 uk' doesn't bring up much activity, although many churches don't put their activities on the net anyway. I suppose there might be some ecumenical activities. In my area, the jubilee lunches and festivities are being put on by the CofE.

I suspect that for some churches, the golden jubilee is more a way of connecting with the enthusiasm of the wider community, rather than representing an opportunity for churches to express their patriotism.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
I've never understood why so many people think that Blake's opening question is supposed to be taken as a statement that Christ came to England.

Thus the description I've heard of the first stanza as comprising four questions the answer to each of which is "No."
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops! It is, of course, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, not her Golden Jubilee! There are a few more events listed on the net when one googles the right thing! Nevertheless, I'm not convinced that royalism is high up on the list of Methodist characteristics, as it were. But we all enjoy a bit of cake and a celebration.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016