homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Jubilee Services - mainly for UK Shipmates.... (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Jubilee Services - mainly for UK Shipmates....
shamwari
Shipmate
# 15556

- Posted      Profile for shamwari   Email shamwari   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will have a service for Trinity. Including Trinitarian hymns covering the full range of Christian experience from Adoration to Confession to Pilgrimage to Dedication/Commitment.

We shall say prayers for the Queen during the Intercessions.

And we shall sing vv 1 and 3 of the National Anthem after the Benediction / Blessing at the end of the service.

Posts: 1914 | From: from the abyss of misunderstanding | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not an enthusiastic republican. I like having a ceremonial head of state. I admire Elizabeth II for undertaking her peculiar job without sentimentality.

However I am very suspicious of the sycophancy and adulation which the monarchy can inspire, particularly linked to right wing political views.

There are people I know who are determined republicans on principal, and I intellectually accept their position.

It is wretched that being a monarchist should be regarded as being synonymous with being an Anglican. Remember the Queen and community celebrations in the intercessions, by all means, but no National Anthem, please.

Establishment is a poisonous position. The justification for the Anglicanism is in being a queer part of the catholic church.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
Establishment is a poisonous position. The justification for the Anglicanism is in being a queer part of the catholic church.

Can you explain your second sentence here, please?
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
quote:

Venbede is quite at liberty to explain himself - but not here. Ecclesiantics is for the discussion of liturgy and it seems that this thread is again wandering!

Please return to the OP, people.

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
LA Dave
Shipmate
# 1397

- Posted      Profile for LA Dave         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always find it strange to see American churches doing it up royal for HMTQ. On the other hand, scratch an Episcopalian (especially of the A/C flavor) and you will often find a monarchist. At my former TEC parish, the rector got all giddy after he wrote to the King of Spain to offer sympathy for the Madrid train bombings and got back a thank you letter on the royal letterhead. Were he still rector, I imagine that Sunday would be a festival of royal adoration.
Posts: 981 | From: Take a guess | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Accession Day itself, Westminster Abbey sang as the anthem at Evensong William Byrd's "O Lord make thy servant Elizabeth", a work that was liturgically unperformable from 1603 to 1952.

(Thank dj. I won't say any more other than it's to do with the sacramental nature of the church.)

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

And did those feet in ancient times (requested by one of our churchwardens);

No they didn't actually ..... Psalm 101 here (David's coronation Psalm - a commitment to character and a commitment to lead.

Mmmm. Isn't that the point Blake is putting across?

'And did those feet....?' Well, no, obviously they didn't any more than Jerusalem was builded here among dark Satanic mills; so we will build Jerusalem here, hence all the bringing-me-my-bowing and charioting.

I've never understood why so many people think that Blake's opening question is supposed to be taken as a statement that Christ came to England.

Isn't it harking back to the legend of when Christ came with Joseph of Arimathea to England? Presumably it can be taken on a number of levels?
Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

And just to mention that our nearest parish church will have sung by the choir Parry's "I Was Glad" and Handel's "Zadok the Priest". It is one of the few parish churches to have the tomb of a king so all is quite appropriate.

There will also be a procession through the streets headed by a flunkey holding up a plate containing a sirloin of beef. There will be much dancing, drinking and smoking in celebration.

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
Isn't it harking back to the legend of when Christ came with Joseph of Arimathea to England? Presumably it can be taken on a number of levels?

At least in part, yes - the myth seems to have intrigued Blake, who used as a subject for a rather striking print as well. I think it would be a brave man who would attempt to fathom precisely what Blake did mean!

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I shall be a brave man( [Razz] ) and say with Oblatus, that it seems fairly clear all the responses to the poet's queries in the first verse are intended to be 'no'. No doubt Blake knew of the myth, and it seems to me this is his response - a bit fat 'no!'; along the lines of, don't be silly - Jesus didn't come to England, any more than Jerusalem was built in this land of heartless industry and oppressed workers. If Christ had come, and the Holy City established (his kingdom?), England would be a green and pleasant land without the dark Satanic mills. Hence the second verse: give me the tools and I will build 'Jerusalem'. Good old Blake!

Or something like that.

Certainly, I can't be sure what was going on in Blake's head when he wrote it (dangerous place to be, probably!) - but it's the only way that, as a poem, it can make coherent sense, considering the verse that follows. But it's true that these things can operate on different levels.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What Anselmina said.

[Overused]

And if anyone asks me why we're singing this hymn (even though it's not my personal choice - or favourite), I'll use that explanation!

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

It's a very good explanation indeed... but it still leads me to recast my original comment to say that anyone who expects Blake to go in for 'coherent sense' is even braver!

(None of which relates to why one would connect with the Jubilee however, beyond the mention of 'England', though...)

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our sister church is having a Jubilee Songs of Praise. No TV cameras, but lots of flowers and a Wedding Dress exhibition.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Well, I shall be a brave man( [Razz] ) and say with Oblatus, that it seems fairly clear all the responses to the poet's queries in the first verse are intended to be 'no'. No doubt Blake knew of the myth, and it seems to me this is his response - a bit fat 'no!'; along the lines of, don't be silly - Jesus didn't come to England, any more than Jerusalem was built in this land of heartless industry and oppressed workers. If Christ had come, and the Holy City established (his kingdom?), England would be a green and pleasant land without the dark Satanic mills. Hence the second verse: give me the tools and I will build 'Jerusalem'. Good old Blake!

Or something like that.

That seems a somewhat Gradgrindian interpretation. The suggestion is that there was a Jerusalem in the past and that it could be rebuilt, but indeed the nature of the poem is to be ambiguous.
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chipping in to agree with Anselmina. It seems to me that these words represent the best sort of patriotism - I love my country so much I will work to make it better than it is.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think Anselmina's reading is Gradgrindian at all, Aumbry! Bear in mind, too, the context in which Blake first printed it, in the Preface to his epic 'Milton' (an extremely Blakean mystical poem).

In any case, we're having it at our Evensong tomorrow because everyone here (including me) loves to sing it!

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well......

It's a cold, cheerless, damp, dank day here in this corner of Our Lady's Dowry, after torrential rain last night, but the Faithful Few (and a couple of visitors) duly celebrated Trinity Sunday and marked HM's big day by praying for her (using the C of E's special prayer for the Jubilee), singing the National Anthem, and raising a glass at Coffee (and wine)Hour after Mass.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I thought the line in the National Anthem about "long to reign over us" was a bit redundant, as the prayer has obviously been granted.

We sang "All people that on earth do dwell" to the setting written by Vaughan Williams for the Coronation, which I thought was a nice touch.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We sang "All people that on earth do dwell" to the setting written by Vaughan Williams for the Coronation, which I thought was a nice touch.

Oooh, very nice! [Yipee]
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

What with being in the Republic, and having Trinity and Baptisms and the like, the whole thing passed off without a notice.

I am however enjoying a glass of fizz in honour of the occasion which strikes me as quite celebration enough...

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A compromise here.

We kept Trinity Sunday in gold, with the correct seasonal propers. However, the flowers were all red, white & blue, and some folk wore rw+b clothes. The preacher openly struggled to connect the two celebrations. The choir mascot carried a small union flag and two verses of the National Anthem followed the blessing. As did wine and cake.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The man leading the intercessions prayed for a Biblical Jubilee - where debts are cancelled, the poor lifted up, the land cared for and slaves set free.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by leo:
[qb] Luckily, we are a leftie church so there will be no mention of the Queen unless someone sentimental is doing the intercessions.

How awful.

Were I close by, my pistols would be drawn.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Whatever that means.

The mantle of prophesy is falling on me...mark my words..if the CofE was disestablished the whole thing would unravel.

Unlike other Anglican churches, the only thing holding it together is Establishment and Wippells.

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
The man leading the intercessions prayed for a Biblical Jubilee - where debts are cancelled, the poor lifted up, the land cared for and slaves set free.

Ah very high-minded indeed [Biased]

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my Anglican parish in Victoria BC Canada
we sang both Canadian (aka National anthem) and British (aka Royal anthem) and there was a prayer celebrating HM's 60 years on the throne . [Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

In my mother's CofI church in Northern Ireland this morning, apparently their rector preached a very good sermon combining the Trinity and the Queen. A last moment flash of inspiration hit him at the end of the service and the congo sang a verse of 'God Save the Queen'.
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
A compromise here.

7 The choir mascot carried a small union flag

I know what is 'a small union flag,' but, if you please, what is a 'choir mascot'? It sounds intriguing but I've not encountered the term before.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
There'll be a Choral Evensong for the Diamond Jubilee at Chicago Cathedral.

And a splendid Evensong it was. Combined choirs of St James Cathedral and Church of the Atonement (the other Anglo-Catholic parish with an excellent choir, pace Oblatus. [Smile] ). Lots of Howells, plus beautiful settings for the two psalms. It didn't strike me as a "Jubilee" service but rather the monthly choral Evensong that the Cathedral puts on, plus a prayers for the Queen. That, plus, the truly excellent sermon by the Very Rev. Joy Rogers, Dean of the Cathedral, who spoke quite eloquently of the Queen as someone whose life shows a deep sense of vocation.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

And a splendid Evensong it was. Combined choirs of St James Cathedral and Church of the Atonement (the other Anglo-Catholic parish with an excellent choir, pace Oblatus. [Smile] ). Lots of Howells, plus beautiful settings for the two psalms. It didn't strike me as a "Jubilee" service but rather the monthly choral Evensong that the Cathedral puts on, plus a prayers for the Queen. That, plus, the truly excellent sermon by the Very Rev. Joy Rogers, Dean of the Cathedral, who spoke quite eloquently of the Queen as someone whose life shows a deep sense of vocation.
Oblatus was there for some of it. Got delayed and was late, missing everything through the psalms (which I especially hate to miss...they're the core of the service). Did hear the Howells Collegium Regale Mag, Nunc, and then Te Deum for the anthem. Superbly done. So was the sermon. My only quibble would be to ask the dean to wait until the Nunc is over before going to the pulpit and gazing and grinning at the congregation. But it was a wonderful service, and I must apologize for flaking out on telling Mamacita I'd be there or figuring out how to find her.

I was reminded of how I felt when I first visited St. James' Cathedral and heard Dr. Wm. Crosbie and the choir do Bruckner motets on Palm Sunday; Dean Greene and Bishop Montgomery were there as well, back in the early 1980's. As the cathedral hasn't a stone interior but lots of wood (including the floor), music blends and reverberates in a way that I can only describe as "warm" and perhaps "mothering." A mother church, indeed. Feels particularly cozy when the building vibrates in response to the lower organ notes. Makes it feel like a big old wooden house. Particularly thrilling is when there's a chance to hear Leo Sowerby's music in there, its home.

So the patterns on the walls look like Great-Grandmama's living room. [Smile]

Sorry I didn't make it possible to meet there, Mamacita. I left avoiding the dean because I couldn't think of anything to say. [Hot and Hormonal]

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So the patterns on the walls look like Great-Grandmama's living room. [Smile]

That was one of Mother Rogers' better lines, wasn't it? So sorry to have missed you! I had arrived rather early and was seated near the front. (Actually it's a good thing I didn't see anyone I knew. In the ladies' room afterwards, I saw to my horror that my mascara had given me raccoon-eyes. I had completely welled up during the Nunc during the section when the sopranos soar over everything.)

I will confess one thing: I was kind of hoping we'd sing "Jerusalem." Of course, it would be ludicrous for an American to sing this, but I have to say, you all look like you're having such fun singing it!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Laud-able

Ship's Ancient
# 9896

- Posted      Profile for Laud-able   Email Laud-able   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had a great morning: a crowd of visitors; God Save the Queen at the beginning, and the prayer for the Queen; a good sermon on the Most Holy, Blessed and Glorious Trinity; Saint Patrick’s Breastplate as the hymn at the Offertory; clouds of smoke; bells; and an exit to Elgar’s Imperial March* (composed for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria).

All of this was against masses of red roses and carnations, Madonna lilies and white chrysanthemums, and delphiniums in two shades of blue, and followed by a morning tea/coffee at which the centrepiece was a large and rich fruit cake made and beautifully decorated by a generous parishioner.

*Upthread I mistakenly listed Walton's Orb and Sceptre.

--------------------
'. . . "Non Angli, sed Angeli" "not Angels, but Anglicans"', Sellar, W C, and Yeatman, R J, 1066 and All That, London, 1930, p. 6.

Posts: 279 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vulpior:
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
It is somewhat confusing to celebrate the accession jubilee on the 59th anniversary of the Coronation, but I can only assume that the weather is better in the UK in June than in February.

The selection of the date of the coronation to celebrate the jubilee is driven less by weather and more by the fact that the anniversary of the queen's accession is also the anniversary of her father's death. The accession anniversary is a personal and poignant day, and I recall this being noted in previous jubilee years.
Indeed.

The Russian body of liturgical material has a rather lovely prayer for the occasion of the accession of the Tsar which acknowledges the happening which makes possible such an accession.

My parish celebrated Pentecost yesterday but we inserted this prayer (duly modified) after the Litany of Fervent Supplication. It didn't occur to us to get special cake/wine but after Vespers we did sing the first verse of the National Anthem. I drew breath for "Thy choicest gifts" but found myself alone.

[ 04. June 2012, 09:07: Message edited by: Michael Astley ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:
A compromise here.

7 The choir mascot carried a small union flag

I know what is 'a small union flag,' but, if you please, what is a 'choir mascot'? It sounds intriguing but I've not encountered the term before.
Pic here should clarify the matter.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am looking forward to the service tomorrow from St. Paul's Cathedral. The cathedral's website was playing coy with me, but I managed to find a link to the Order of Service here.

The assembled worshippers are instructed to remain seated until Her Majesty arrives. I suppose this means that people will not be standing for the majority of the rest of the royal family.

Sixty years ago, would people have remained seated for the minor royals, or would they have stood for all royals?

The liturgy seems quite similar to what was done in the past at St. Paul's for the Queen (her fiftieth?) I am looking forward to the hymn O Praise Ye the Lord, a departure from the normal rota of hymns seemingly used at every single service involving royals. Likewise I am looking forward to the Te Deum at the entrance.

I hope that the service is archived somewhere as the usual television coverage typically ruins all of the wonderful pre- and post-service music.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Raphael
Apprentice
# 17131

- Posted      Profile for Fr Raphael   Email Fr Raphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very minor point', from the Jubilee Service - in The last picture on this Bbc slideshow
Is the priest wearing banns, and is that the usual way of wearing them?

[ 05. June 2012, 11:31: Message edited by: Fr Raphael ]

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Dean is wearing bands. They appear to be blowing in the wind. I don't normally wear bands with a stole myself (cassock, surplice, tippet, hood and bands is collegiate choir dress) but St Paul's will have its own good customs.

--------------------

+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They wear bands with cope and stole at The Abbey too.

I don't know if this is generally a 'cathedral' thing. I can't recall what they do here in Mancunia.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved the Diamond Choir anthem. And what a lovely idea to have child representatives from all over the country in the choir as well as the usual St. Paul's choir and the Chapel Royal.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

I loved the sermon.
The Te Deum was very fine.
Always amusing to see who seems to be singing the hymns. Boris didn't seem to. Ed Milliband, of all people, did.

[ 05. June 2012, 13:26: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------

ChippedChalice
Shipmate
# 14057

- Posted      Profile for ChippedChalice   Email ChippedChalice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
anybody know if there's a link to the service to watch online?
Posts: 131 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Fr Raphael
Apprentice
# 17131

- Posted      Profile for Fr Raphael   Email Fr Raphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What puzzled me is that the bands seem to be being worn over the clerical collar rather than tucked under, or is that a trick of the photo?
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
I loved the sermon.
The Te Deum was very fine.
Always amusing to see who seems to be singing the hymns. Boris didn't seem to. Ed Milliband, of all people, did.

I have a feeling Boris is the kind of guy who thinks he'll get to heaven because he's got a British Passport. Why should he sing, anyway? Isn't that what one pays the servants - sorry, singers for? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

The Dean's sermon has just been posted here.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I caught a few glimpses of the service whilst coming and going at w**k.

Someone should tell Ed Milliband not to stand with his hand in his pocket whilst a-singing of hymns..........

And why did the Canon Sacrist and My Lord of London both use the nave altar as a bookstand, when there were perfectly good lecterns to be had? Most unseemly and unedifying. [Disappointed]

I heard a bit of Will Todd's The Call of Wisdom - sounded good, and was sung beautifully.

Ian J.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Oblatus, thank you so much for that link! I noticed that her aside to the Bishop -- "no spurs and sword for us??" -- must have been an ad-lib.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

I was told I must listen again (for the first time in my case) to the Archbishop's sermon.

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tonight there was a magnificent Mass in Westminster Cathedral offered in thanksgiving for the Diamond Jubilee of HM's reign. It was the first time (I think) I have attended an orchestral Mass in Westminster Cathedral, and it was absolutely splendid! Mozart's Coronation Mass was the setting. The offertory motet was the sublime Laudate Dominum, also by Mozart. The Archbishop presided, with Cardinal Murphy- O'Connor, the Archbishop of Cardiff, the Bishop of the Forces and several other bishops concelebrating, along with dozens of priests. The Cathedral was packed with people.

The great Cathedral organ did a magnificent impersonation of the trumpet fanfare that introduces the National Anthem, two verses of which were sung at the end of Mass. Then the procession out to Walton's Orb and Sceptre. Quite a fantastic event and a wonderful way to end the Jubilee weekend.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
+Chad

Staffordshire Lad
# 5645

- Posted      Profile for +Chad   Author's homepage   Email +Chad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:

Most impressive was PM and Deputy PM singing The Old 100th without looking at the service book - but then they went to the right sort of schools.

Damn fine sermon, damn fine music, damn fine service. Couldn't be bettered.

--------------------
Chad (The + is silent)

Where there is tea there is hope.

Posts: 2698 | From: The Backbone of England | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Incumbent
Apprentice
# 17127

- Posted      Profile for Incumbent   Email Incumbent   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think that standing at the nave altar looked better than standing beside it and ignoring it-it just made for better optics. I liked the reference to the Kinks in +Rowan's sermon-it made him more human, less remote, and put his life in some context. It was clearly Christian (especially the singing of the Te Deum), but it was also sensitive to non-Christian religions, which is important in the context of the Commonwealth. It was good to see the wonderful cope the Archbishop wore at the Royal Wedding again. One quibble, there seemed not to be agreement, by looking at stoles worn, whether the colour was white or red. The use of stoles at all might be questioned at a non-Sacramental liturgy.
Posts: 10 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016