homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » MW: Liturgy of Christian Unrest (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW: Liturgy of Christian Unrest
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right at the top S3 suggested "A meditation / canticle ". I'm not sure about the copyright issues involved, but I think the story 'God's Mischief' from Trevor Dennis' book 'Speaking of God' would be very appropriate. It's not very long, so I could type it up and post it if it's not going to get the Ship nailed for breach of copyright...

NB would it be possible to have a REAL silence in the liturgy? ie something more than an 'Anglican silence' which is the time it takes the priest to draw breath between saying "Let us pray" and starting the collect

--------------------
"There is a divine discontent which has always helped to better things."

Posts: 1123 | From: Floating in the blue | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please be careful with copyright issuse. The reason that I was able to post the Dismissal was because "This resourse (is) for personal and corporate use.." It had no copyright notice, but expressed the wish that the material would be used in different situations.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

- Posted      Profile for Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Email Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, copyright's a thorny one... I'm basically waiting for S3 to say yay or nay before I post it. Maybe it'd be too much trouble to get permission to use it, I just thought it would be an appropriate story.

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My preference would be to steer away from copyrighted materials. I have posted links to materials to give an ideas, but in general we have produced our own stuff.

Any other thoughts anyone?

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan the Dwarf:
NB would it be possible to have a REAL silence in the liturgy? ie something more than an 'Anglican silence' which is the time it takes the priest to draw breath between saying "Let us pray" and starting the collect

i thoroughly agree. that irks me, especially in the confession, when we are given barely a minute to think over our sins and previous week. so can we incorporate a decent length silence (possibly in the intersessions?) during the service?

viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

One more thing, then I'll shut up -

Could we add something to the absolution, to reflect the fact that forgiveness doesn't just give peace, it can also be hugely challenging as we can't use the excuse "I'll just get it wrong" to not do something? I'm not 100% happy with the following, but it's all I could come up with for this:

Following on from bb's absolution,

The Lord forgives; never too much,
never too little.
In the Lord there is perfection and peace.
Be still and receive the forgiveness and peace of the Lord.

{pause}

Accepting that forgiveness we must now move on,
to try again where we have fallen, no matter how often.
In offering forgiveness before we can even ask for it,
the Lord calls us beyond the safety of our failures,
into the unknown depths of God's disturbing love.

One final final thing (honest!) - I've noticed there is only one pronoun outside of the psalm that refers to God. Could we do the whole liturgy with no 'he' or 'she' referring to God? Then it's comfortable whatever gender you perceive God as being.

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To begin with I'm not a liturgist so perhaps I shouldn't post....
I like very much what Joan wrote;yet I'm a little bit uneasy.....it reads a bit like a sermon.....I feel that once absolution (so to speak) is pronounced one should move on to the next par of the liturgy of unrest
Would it be possible to have Joan's contribution before the absolution do you think???Or even in another part of the service....like an alternative dismissal?
But I have to admit I feel like a bumblimg amateur here in the presence of professionals.....Just ignore me!!

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3942 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You feel like an amatuer Stephen? Heck.. I'm from a non-liturgical tradition!!!

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5591 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Stephen - like I said, I'm not happy with it myself: it's not really liturgically phrased. I can't say why not, it just feels wrong. I put it so that someone else can re-word it!

NB I'm certainly an amateur too - the idea of anyone describing me as a professinal liturgy writer struck me as very funny!

Maybe I should have a gin and try again...

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes,I do actually Siegfried.To give you an example from my personal life
I play in an amateur orchestra.....but there's the world of difference between listening to music and actually playing it.Or (to give another example) looking and appreciating pictures and painting them.Or looking at the night sky and being a cosmologist
Do you see what I'm getting at?I can understand liturgy,because I'm in a liturgical (MOR,believe it or not!) tradition.But that's not the same as creating it,the way S3 or Adrian,or BB seem able to do
Hence my diffidence
And I liked what Joan wrote;my query was whether it was the best place for it....I wasn't trying to shoot it down....

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back from holiday - but no further advanced with collect.

I'll work on it

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2710 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We believe in unrest, to separate the chaff from the wheat.
We believe in doubt, in questions, in opinions. God has them; Jesus has them, why shouldn't we?
We believe in ourselves - the only people who can change things.
We believe in Jesus, the subversive, the rebel. He regarded people rather than laws as important. He felt all feelings, including anger, pain and abandonment.
We believe in a god who uses misfits, oddballs, unlikely, ordinary people to tell his story.
We believe in love, that comforts and challenges, that never lets us stay still but always draws us towards God.

had some more thoughts in church tonight.....

We believe in Jesus Christ who dies for us, so that we might live for him. He is the divine fool, who spoke against the wisdom of the world, and turned the worldy order topsy-turvy. He calls us to be fools for him now, although not idiots!
We believe in one God; Creator, Saviour, and Helper, a divine mystery we cannot comprehend.
We believe in a God who cradles our weaknesses in the palm of his hand, whilst inspiring us with his strength.

not sure whether this is now making sense, had a long day...

viki

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

I do like that creed - especially the bit about being fools not idiots... seems to sum up the ship quite nicely

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
First draft of collect herewith
--------------------------------------
O Lord our God, who uses the foolish things of the world to confound the
wise, and sent our Lord Jesus to be a stumbling-block and a challenge to the world;

grant that we, trusting in your everlasting love for us, may be prepared to defy the conventions of our age, to expect to find your presence in unlikely places and to use the skills and resources you have given us to spread the Gospel message;

through Jesus Christ Our Lord, who,defying the expectation of his enemies, is alive and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen

-------------------------------------

I'm not over-happy with it yet - the language is rather formal compared with the other material, but that's just how I am!

Please feel free to make alterations - but not please to the actual structure. A collect is not just a prayer - it is a prayer with a specific structure (which I have tried to follow) and a specific purpose (in this case to spell out some of the theme of the service).

Over to you guys!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

thanks joan

tonyk, i like it. it's not hugely formal. and (within my church anyhow) the collect for the day is usually a bit more formal than our service structure and responses etc.... my 3.58340893pence for what it's worth

viki

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see what you mean about the formality, Tony. I have an idea or two, but let me toss them about a bit first.

Sieg

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

... and a bump to bring the thread back up!

I know things haven't been easy recently and we've all had many more serious concerns to address - but I'd hate to see this mini-project fade away!

Ideas, guys?

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
Ideas, guys?

how about someone pulls up what we have so far, both the bits that are definite, and the bits people have written, saying 'well i thought this might be a starting place...'

that would make it easier (in my mind at least) to see what we have/haevn't figured out, and therefore what we needed to think on

is this possible?

viki

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

- Posted      Profile for Edward Green   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay I'm gonna pull this together now (unless someone else has already done it) and we'll have a look at it as a whole. I'll also wave it at Simon (but won't let him read it ....)

Now we have the basics if anyone has any new ideas they can be always be alternatives and extra resources ... kinda like in most books of liturgy.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was having a wonder about doing something Harvest or Advent related. any takers?

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Late Quartet

Irredeemably speciesist?
# 1207

- Posted      Profile for Late Quartet   Author's homepage   Email Late Quartet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • How about amending Joan't'D's sentence to Go with God, God goes with you ?
  • Tony K's collect, first sentence, uses 'world' twice, how about replacing the 2nd time with 'humanity', or something else?
  • can we have, somewhere, 'our hearts are restless till they find their rest in you'? Collect for 16th Sunday after Trinity

And baby bear, yes, I'd love to assist with Harvest / Advent stuff ... shall we start with Advent to give us time to get it ready ... new thread ?

--------------------
Late Quartet is cycling closer to Route 6 than Route 66 these days.

Posts: 897 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

LQ - I'm happy with that - can't think how is missed the double use myself - doh!!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

I'm working on a 'God's foolishness' story for a meditation, and I've also got some ideas for the collect - Sieg, are you still working on that, I don't want to tread on any toes?

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

Not actively at the moment. I'm one of the 'liturgically challenged', coming from a non-liturgical background and was hoping for that follow-up post on what bits of the collect were required and which bits could be tinkered with.

--------------------
Siegfried

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK - collected so far:

Lord, we have said too much and said too little.
(pause to reflect on insensitive remarks and lack of comfort/encouraging remarks)

Lord, we have done too much and done too little.
(pause to reflect on being too busy and procrastinating)

Lord, we have prayed too much and prayed too little.
(pause to reflect on praying to change the order of things to suit ourselves and ignoring real injustice)

Lord, we have thought too much and thought too little.
(pause to reflect on hair-splitting and prejudice)

Lord, we have loved too much and loved too little.
(pause to reflect on infatuation or smother-love and ignoring those who don't interest you)

Lord, we have confessed too much, and confessed too little.
(reflect on the minor transgressions that you've blown up so that they obscure the major transgressions.)

Lord,
You know all that is said and unsaid,
done and undone,
prayed for and unprayed for,
thought and ignored,
loved and unloved,
confessed and hidden.

never too little.
{pause}

Collect
O Lord our God, who uses the foolish things of the world to confound the
wise, and sent our Lord Jesus to be a stumbling-block and a challenge to the world;

grant that we, trusting in your everlasting love for us, may be prepared to defy the conventions of our age, to expect to find your presence in unlikely places and to use the skills and resources you have given us to spread the Gospel message;

through Jesus Christ Our Lord, who,defying the expectation of his enemies, is alive and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen

Psalm 34, or otherwise (Fiona Jane Brown)

I cried unto the Lord and He heard me,
And sent me the love of all my dear friends,
The Angel of the Lord encamps round about them that fear Him,
And creates a shield from the prayers of those closest to me.

Such kindness and friendship in a wicked world,
Was indeed a treasure to discover.
An oasis in the boiling seas of life,
Where all my shipmates came to gather round me.
I had not thought such love
Still existed in this fast decaying time,
But you all care more than any
A balm to a troubled spirit and frightened heart.
Reminded me who holds the chart,
Who the pilot of my ship is,
Who has the answers and listens when I scream and stamp.
Who puts the sun behind the clouds
To burst through a billion times brighter
When the storm passes.

My guardian angels were the hearts of my friends,
There in the time of need,
Let me praise you and the Captain,
Whose sons and daughters we all are,
For giving such clear assurance,
He's still in charge.
----------------------------
Land ahoy, me lads,
The Journey won't be much longer,
Press on towards the shore,
To gain an eternal harbour secure.

Credo (Sarkycow, Joanthedwarf)
we believe in unrest, to separate the chaff from the wheat.
we believe in doubt, in questions, in opinions. god has them; jesus has them, why shouldn't we?
we believe in ourselves - the only people who can change things.
we believe in jesus, the subversive, the rebel. he regarded people rather than laws as important. he felt all feelings, including anger, pain and abandonment.
we believe in a god who uses misfits, oddballs, unlikely, ordinanry people to tell his story.
We believe in love, that comforts and challenges, that never lets us stay still but always draws us towards God.
We believe in Jesus Christ who dies for us, so that we might live for him. He is the divine fool, who spoke against the wisdom of the world, and turned the worldy order topsy-turvy. He calls us to be fools for him now, although not idiots!
We believe in one God; Creator, Saviour, and Helper, a divine mystery we cannot comprehend.
We believe in a God who cradles our weaknesses in the palm of his hand, whilst inspiring us with his strength.

The Peace (Campbellite)
God loves you, and there is nothing you can do about it."

Lord's Prayer
God, whose home is heaven, who we on Earth love, and laugh with, and revere, may we help to build your Kingdom right here and now, uniting Earth with Heaven in one creation centred on you and living by your light and your love.

You became an embodied spirit, like us, and you know our needs of body and soul. May we have what we need to live so that we may give ourselves wholly to you.

Challenged by the knowledge of your complete forgiveness, help us to forgive others. Forgive us that we are afraid to receive only the forgiveness we have given.

We believe you will not break us, but if we must be tested for your glory and our growth then give us strength.

Do not abandon us in the darkness that is sometimes our own minds, and stand between us and others who may try to imprison us in the darkness of the world.

We ask this of you because from you comes all goodness and love, all strength and all the light that pierces the darkness, for all time and outside time.

Dismissal (Paul sheppy)
The worship is over; the service begins.
Go, people of Go, into God's world.
Mett Christ in friend and stranger,
serve him in all you meet.
And may the blessing of God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit fill you
and the whole of creation,
now and always.

The Worship is over, the service begins
Go with God, Stay with God

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

- Posted      Profile for Reepicheep         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Call to prayer]
We come to receive the grace of God, that we may be humbled by it, and live in it. We come to renew our friendships, our works, and our hope in Christ.

[bidding prayer]
Spirit of the living God, As we pray Open in our hearts the unrestful spirit within, that as you come among us, we will accept you. We come expecting much, let us go away refreshed and thankful.You know our secrets, and our lives. Let us lay them before you, that we which we do too much and too little. You who are embodied in us now, show your spirit through our hands and feet, our lips and lives.

Lord, hear our prayer[ans] And when you call, let us come unto thee.

In rest and quietness, we watch and pray.

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

grrh - that should be:

let us lay our lives before you, those things that we do, too much and too little.

And the last bit should be in "thee/thou" - I was trying to write in the dialect I used for many years, where thee and thy are the personal pronouns, and you is the impersonal, or the plural.

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Worship is over, the service begins

Please no! Anything but that . . . it's sooo cheesy . . .
I think it works better just omitting it . . .

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Here's a second draft of the collect... I hope I haven't changed the meanings, TonyK. I've tweaked it for formality and repeated words.

Lord God, who uses foolishness to confound the wise, and who sent our Lord Jesus as a stumbling-block and challenge for the world;

may we, trusting in your everlasting love for us, be prepared to defy the conventions of our age, to expect to find your presence in unlikely places and to use the skills and resources you have given us to spread your message;

through Jesus Christ Our Lord, who, frustrating the expectation of his enemies, is alive and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, now and for ever. Amen

--------------------

Edward Green
Review Editor
# 46

Hm, we now have two versions of this floating around, the one I compiled and sent to Simon, and the one here.

Never mind, we can continue to tweak it anyway.

--------------------
blog//twitter//
linkedin

babybear
# 34

Argh, no 'thee's and 'thou's. People (with a very few local exceptions) have not spoken like that for years and years.

And why make things more 'formal'? I thought that this was to be for personal use.

bb

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

bb - I 'tweaked it for formality' to make it less formal... unless my grasp of the English language has gone completely haywire...

--------------------

babybear
# 34

Nope, just mine.

bb

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just caught up on this thread.

Re: a canticle what do people think of the following which I wrote at the end of last term. It wasn't written specifically with Christian unrest in mind but it might fit.

God, Creator of all that is,
You cannot be pinned down
Defined, caged in, summed up;
We might try in theology or religion,
To say God is x or y;
He belongs to us;
But you ARE;
Beyond our exclusiveness,
Our cliques, our firm boundaries
Always leading us on,
Pillar of fire or cloud
The wind blowing where it wills
A butterfly calling us onwards
Fluttering just out of our grasp

And yet,
On the cross you were pinned down
Or rather up.
Nailed there, left to die
Dead and buried.
Out of sight,
Gone.

Or so we thought
But, Unpinnabledown God
You could not be contained in that cage of death
Burst from the tomb
Rose Again

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

quote:
Originally posted by Angel of the North:
OK - collected so far:

(The Confession)
never too little.
{pause}

I got the sense earlier that the view on this thread was that the section in italics was a bit out of place--I think Joan (who wrote it) said as much her(?)self. I'm just not sure where. But I agree it doesn't quite fit where it is.

--------------------
Siegfried

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

Yup, and yup

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

Joan - very happy with your adjustments to the collect. Thanks

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did anyone read my post of 15th October? Or did I just join the thread after everyone had lost interest. I'd like some feedback, please.

Carys

--------------------

Joan the Outlaw-Dwarf

Ship's curiosity
# 1283

I'm sorry Carys, that was rude not to respond to your post. I will do when my brain isn't so completely fried.

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

That's okay Joan, I think it some how just got missed but it felt as though I was being ignored and the thread was slipping down the board so I thought I'd kick it up again.

Carys

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

My apologies,too,Carys...I'd completely forgotten about this thread....
FWIW,I think it's quite good....seems to express a lot of what I feel....what do the others think?

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

i like what carys wrote, as a piece of writing unfortunately i have no idea what a canticle is (though i prolly would if you started to explain). so i can't really have an opinion on whether it is a good canticle or not - sorry

what is the function of a canticle? where does it fit into the service/liturgy? is it just for the leader to say, or does everyone join in?

thanks,

viki

--------------------

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
what is the function of a canticle? where does it fit into the service/liturgy? is it just for the leader to say, or does everyone join in?

Not sure I can define a canticle but as no-one else has tried, I'll give it a go.

They tend to be like a psalm but not from the book of psalms (but the Venite is a psalm and used as a canticle in Morning Prayer). Some are biblical, for instance at Evening prayer the commonest canticles are the Magnificat and Nunc Dimitis (they're named after their beginning in Latin, they Mary's song (My soul magnifies the Lord) and the Song of Simeon (Lord now you let your servant depart in peace)). But others were written by the early church like the Te Deum. Not quite sure I'd like to say what makes something a canticle. I've never worked out what to call 'Unpinnabledown God' I just wrote it. It's not exactly a poem nor a meditation.

As too use, they are often sung, either to Anglican chant or to settings. . When chanted often by the whole congregation (not necessarily well) but settings tend to be choir only, but can also be said, often responsively.

Carys

--------------------

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

I was told that canticles are psalms that aren't in the book of psalms, and ought to be - from the apocrypha.

And, babybear, some of us are comfiest with the old forms at times. I've said what I wrote, in thou form, and it feels nicer. Given most of this is in modern english, and is meant to be a fusion of traditions - basically what each of us brings to it.

I use thee and thou, unconsciously, in speech. Trying to think it into coherent written english doesn't happen often, hence the blunder.

I love Carys's piece - I've seen it before, hence not commenting here before now.

Angel

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

quote:
Argh, no 'thee's and 'thou's. People (with a very few local exceptions) have not spoken like that for years and years.

No, but they have remained in the liturgy (what does it say about the English that we've lost our familiar pronouns?) and I for one feel that you is colder when someone has 'modernised' something and taken the thee's and thou's out. It is a problem, I just wish English hadn't lost the distinction. Using 'ti' (the Welsh familiar form) to God really brought his nearness home to me, we can be familiar to him. Unfortunately people (like the Trinitarian Bible Society) miss understand this in English.

Carys

--------------------

babybear
# 34

A hostly request:

If people would like to discuss 'thee' and 'thou' then please take it elsewhere for the time being. I really do not feel able to cope with this discussion, yet again, right now.

These particular words tend to bring out the dogmatic side of people (including me). Let's put language issues onto the back burner for a few weeks.

This is merely a request from this particular host.

bb
----
MW Host

Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

Sorry bb, didn't mean to touch a sore spot. I'll shut up about language (well round here at least, can't escape it most of the time!)

What is happening with the liturgy? s3 has been very quiet round here of late.

Carys

--------------------

Reepicheep
BANNED
# 60

In the context of the liturgy of unrest only - is the language meant to be in modern english usage, or is it in terms of what we bring to the piece?

Angel

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was completely unaware of this thread until Angel drew my attention to it. I have really enjoyed reading the contributions - no, enjoyed is not the right word, I have found them inspiring. I didn't know this sort of creativity was on board Ship - I'm very slow sometimes.

How about this as a possible Advent Collect?

Lord Jesus the Christ,
who was content to be born of a woman,
laid in a trough,
and honoured by outcasts,
and who has promised to come again on the clouds
when every eye shall see you;
come to us now.
Open our eyes to see those people that the world casts out,
open our hearts to care for those issues that make us uncomfortable,
open our hands to do the work that you set before us.
Come and disturb us in our comfortable complacency
that we might strive for your righteousness and your kingdom,
and so glorify your holy name.
All this we ask for your love's sake. Amen.

Looks a bit wordy to me - but what do the rest of you think?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8905 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone else out there interested in creating an Advent liturgy? Should a new thread be started? Or has everyone moved on from this area by now?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8905 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016