homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Styx: 40 ideas for Lent (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Styx: 40 ideas for Lent
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in 2002, we ran a feature called 40 ideas for Lent, which offered a creative/adventurous suggestion for each day of Lent, in an unrestful kind of way. They included sending God an email, looking out of the window, giving blood, learning a poem and unplugging the phone for 24 hours. Most of the ideas were generated here, on these boards.

I’d like to run 40 ideas for Lent again this year, starting next week (Ash Wednesday is next Wednesday), and it would be great to have a whole load of new ideas to mix in with the best of the old ones. If you’d like to contribute, post your ideas here, or PM/email me. We’re also looking for short quotes for each day, so ditto for them. Here’s an example from 2002 to show how we’re treating this...

http://shipoffools.com/lent/40.html

Thanks!

[ 27. October 2012, 16:46: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like a brilliant idea! I shall mull on a few contributions.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

- Posted      Profile for PhilA   Email PhilA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Give someone a book. Find a book that has meant something to you spiritually, something on the lines of 'mere Christianity' or 'The Holy Man' and post it through someones letterbox - a complete strangers if possible. Write a little note telling them what this book means to you and how you would like to share its message with other people. Invite them to pass it on when they have read it.

--------------------
To err is human. To arr takes a pirate.

Posts: 3121 | From: Sofa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would that be 'The Heavenly Man', PhilA?

My suggestion:

Phone someone you haven't seen in a while, and/or take them out for coffee. I'm thinking particularly of people who don't get out much because of young children/caring for relatives/lack of money/isolated situation. Often you find that the call came through just when they most needed to know someone cared.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some suggestions:

Visit the church of a different denomination to worship / or the place of worship of a different religion and see what you can learn.

If you don't usually, do a traditional fast for one day or one weekend. (By which I think I mean either actually fast, or just follow a trad lenten diet). After all, many people give up one thing - often a luxury - and don't have the experience of what this would be like.

Visit somewhere beautiful

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine was struck by the commitment of an Islamic colleague to the Ramadan fast and decided he would try a Ramadan-style sunrise to sunset fast for the 40 days of Lent.

He did drink water during these hours, though, which AIUI a Muslim would not.

A bit hardcore maybe but hey, it's only an idea...

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
coming from a newsie:

a media diet. for 24 hours (or the whole 40 days!) turn off the TV, the radio, and cancel or give away your newspaper. avoid them at all costs. if it is just one day, stay offline, too. dont read anything "topical".

I end up so full of news in my career that when I take vacations my family enforces a strict news diet. it is so restful. news causes stress. this is a great way to slow down and get in touch with what really matters. silence, for one thing!

Comet

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh fab ideas....... I havent really "done" lent before but would like to this year... something nicely accesible like ship online suggestions (unlike the effort of reading a book [Biased] )
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cometchaser:
coming from a newsie:

a media diet. for 24 hours (or the whole 40 days!) turn off the TV, the radio, and cancel or give away your newspaper. avoid them at all costs. if it is just one day, stay offline, too. dont read anything "topical".

I end up so full of news in my career that when I take vacations my family enforces a strict news diet. it is so restful. news causes stress. this is a great way to slow down and get in touch with what really matters. silence, for one thing!

Comet

... or alternativey use the newspaper/ daily news each day to pray from!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Organise beforehand during Lent a David Letterman type dropping an organ from many stories above, top of building. Then write an essay on this experience to reflect how God's glory was displayed by said act.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bake a cake for your colleagues.

(But only if you're good at baking - otherwise they might think you hate them).

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
Organise beforehand during Lent a David Letterman type dropping an organ from many stories above, top of building. Then write an essay on this experience to reflect how God's glory was displayed by said act.

I assume you mean an electric organ. Pipe organs are rather difficult to hoist to the top of a building.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
I assume you mean an electric organ. Pipe organs are rather difficult to hoist to the top of a building.

Besides, who would want to destroy a pipe organ? Find one of those dreadful vibrato-overburdened appliances that they have at undertakers' establishments, and drop THAT. It would be a good deed in a naughty world.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very large one...with lots and lots of pipes.
makes momma VERY happy.

[Devil]

[made plural. also adding that the thought of a pipe organ being dropped from a very tall building, makes me smile [Big Grin] If it were ever done... [Overused] color me amazed. *sigh*]

[ 21. February 2006, 22:49: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
....whereas I would toss a crate of ee-lectronic instruments off and be even cheerier.

But I fear we are getting off-topic.

How about not just Giving Things Up, but taking the money we would otherwise have spent and putting it toward a specific Good Cause? (Like buying a new pipe organ?)

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Call up a friend or family member you haven't spoken to in a while.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Spiffy da Wonder Sheep:
Call up a friend or family member you haven't spoken to in a while.

...even -- or especially -- if the falling out wasn't your fault.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

This may be a slight tangent.... (me! never!)

But this year I was wondering about instead of "giving up" (not that ive really "observed" lent being all low church and all that) but "taking up"...

introducing a good habit into my life...

not sure what yet... Id like to do something meditative, or maybe even find my bible...!!! (A)

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Emma, you could make a point of reading the Daily Office (and lessons) at least once each day. I started that a couple of years ago, and it's really helpful. Lent is a good time and place to begin.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

the daily office?

is that universal or do the Rc and C of e have different ones...

do all the bits of the C of E all believe/follow same one... is there just one? [Confused] I would probably go perhaps with a more modern writer - not sure!

in fact thinking about it -theres that lovely irish monks website with a little verse and reflection each day...

Im gonna do that [Big Grin]

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't turn on your computer for a day and go out into the real world: Pick up some rubbish from the streets, help someone less capable than you to cross the road, offer to do something for an elderly neighbour... the list is endless.

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I suppose one COULD give up the Ship -- but then where would one find encouragement for keeping one's Lenten disciplines?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to recall a couple of years back Baby Bear had some sort of Lenten daily list. I remember saving it on my hard drive. Maybe I can scare that up. I'll let you know if I can find it.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, that one was great. It combined giving thanks for the good things in our lives, praying for those who don't have them, and putting money aside for a good cause.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

- Posted      Profile for PhilA   Email PhilA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Would that be 'The Heavenly Man', PhilA?

No, I've not come across that one. I meant The Holy Man (A short excerpt is in the link above.)

Another suggestion:
Do not spend any money for one day. Not a single penny on anything. This includes things such as electricity or phone calls; if it adds to a bill/invoice or costs at point of sale its not allowed. (It is cheating to go to someone else's house.)

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do know someone who gave up bulletin boards (including the Ship) for Lent a couple of years ago.
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the new ideas so far... excellent stuff. I'd offer a prize of chocolate for the best suggestion, but it doesn't seem to be quite in the spirit of Lent.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Find a midweek service near your place of work and join them for worship.

Listen to someone without interrupting.

Read your local paper and pray about the issues facing your community.

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PhilA:
Another suggestion:
Do not spend any money for one day. Not a single penny on anything. This includes things such as electricity or phone calls; if it adds to a bill/invoice or costs at point of sale its not allowed. (It is cheating to go to someone else's house.)

In cold climates this is not practicable.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do a "random act of kindness". It does not need to be complicated.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a few suggestions, some easy, and some hard:

Get up early one morning and bring your loved one breakfast in bed.

Spend a day trying to get to know some you don't really like better. (Risky one, this!)

Don't use your car. Go everywhere by bike, on foot, or use public transport. The length of time you do this for would have to depend on where you lived, and therefore, how practical it was.

I agree with all the "no TV/computer/insert time thief here" stuff. I'd add radio, which is so often a sort of soundtrack for everything we do, and can distract you without you even noticing.

Sit down to eat in the evening with your family, and talk about your day.

Walk the streets of your home town. Don't plan to do anything, just watch people. If they look laden down with shopping, offer to carry some for them. If they look stressed and hassled, pray for them (just in your head, unless you're really brave).

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Another suggestion:

The man lives in Wakefield! If he can really get through a day in March in the North of England without turning on the heating or electricity or, indeed, water, he's a better person than me. Perhaps by Holy Week this year it will be warm enough to not have the heating on.

What about food - are you allowed to eat what you bought the day before? Presumably you aren't allowed to cook it.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Thanks for the new ideas so far... excellent stuff. I'd offer a prize of chocolate for the best suggestion, but it doesn't seem to be quite in the spirit of Lent.

excuses excuses
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plant bulbs.
Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:

My suggestion:

Phone someone you haven't seen in a while, and/or take them out for coffee. I'm thinking particularly of people who don't get out much because of young children/caring for relatives/lack of money/isolated situation. Often you find that the call came through just when they most needed to know someone cared.

A variation on this one: Bring neighbors together who may not know one another. I like to do this with a simple meal like chili or soup and salad.

[ 22. February 2006, 13:38: Message edited by: marmot ]

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Another suggestion:

Moo

Many people are homeless and cant simply turn up the thermostat Moo. Yes they complain about it and yes we do some things to help, but there is nothing like walking a mile in someone elses shoes to focus the mind as to what they have to put up with - even if its only for 1 day and they have to go through it every day. There but for the grace of God go I.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Based on something the youth group at my church is going to do: Observe a complete fast for 30 hours (nothing but a minimal amount of water). During the day of your fast, either volunteer in a soup kitchen at a shelter or prepare food yourself (sandwiches, whatever) and go someplace where you can distribute it to the homeless. To add to the experience, sleep on the floor that night with only a piece of cardboard or a few newspapers.

[ 22. February 2006, 16:17: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The anglican diocese I live in is doing something similar to this for lent. They call it "Love Life Live Lent" and it is about living generously for the lenten period.

Here are some suggestions I liked from it:

• Give up your place in a queue to someone in a rush.
  • Plant some seeds where the flowers will be seen.
  • Say something nice about someone behind their back.
  • Talk to someone new at church.
  • Leave the £1 coin in the shopping trolley or where someone will find it.
  • Buy a low energy lightbulb.
  • Buy something fairly traded you wouldn't normally buy.
  • Hug someone who needs it.
  • Buy something for someone anonymously.
  • Make a drink for a neighbour or collegue.

There are lots more suggestions in the booklet too.

I think the idea of doing little things for other people is a really nice one, so I would suggest:
  • Invite someone over for a meal.
  • Take your neighbour some home cooked cake.
  • Give up your seat on the bus to someone who needs it more.
  • Complement someone.
  • Email / ring / text someone you've not heard from in a while.
  • Specifically SoF related, but - pm someone whose posts you enjoy, and let them know why you appreciate what they post.
  • Read a blog and leave a nice comment.
  • Buy someone flowers *just because*.
  • Go out of your way to help someone.

If I think of anymore i'll come back and post again. Hope those ideas are helpful and along the lines of what you are looking for!

LMM

PS: Emma - I tried taking up something last year for lent - I didn't manage it, but it was worth while trying!

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spend a day up high hills or on long beaches - somewhere vast and open where you can really get a sense of your place in the world, use the time to pray, meditate and just generally be.

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

LMM - I love your list....

Im temtped to suggest "lenten activities" to my general RE group... you dont have to be religious to do good and nice things hey....!

Ive decided to read/do the ignatian style meditations on sacred space, and the friend that initially recommended the site still does them, so he can keep a check on me.,... i mean... we can discuss them!!!

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

((hmmm.... just got a lesson idea now...I think a display and getting each student to write up an idea........ *grin* ))
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Make a card for someone who you care about.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm probably being picky here, but I'm not sure how turning off my fridge & freezer and wasting food is in the spirit of Lent.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pray for every person you spend time with today.

Give away some of your possessions that you don't really need to a charity shop, or freecycle them.

Help a child go to school

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
LMM - I love your list....

Im temtped to suggest "lenten activities" to my general RE group... you dont have to be religious to do good and nice things hey....!

Indeed you don't - as the Karma Army proves.

Another suggestion - plant some bulbs in a pot and give it to an elderly neighbour.

If you know someone who is housebound, see if they would like a visit. And while you're there, ask if there are any little jobs they would like done eg. lightbulb needs changing.

If you don't already, make an effort to smile and say a few words of greeting to people who regularly feature in your life but who you don't actually know - the postman, the ticket staff at the station, the security at your building (I think you should anyway, but maybe it doesn't occur to some people.)

If you're in a shop and the customer in front of you is giving the cashier a hard time, go out of your way to be nice to them when it's your turn to be served (thus speaks the former shop girl!)

[ETA - the above 'cult' leader has a few suggestions of his own.]

[ 22. February 2006, 20:35: Message edited by: Hazey Jane ]

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Codepoet

Best Bear On Board
# 5964

- Posted      Profile for Codepoet   Email Codepoet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseTastic:
A friend of mine was struck by the commitment of an Islamic colleague to the Ramadan fast and decided he would try a Ramadan-style sunrise to sunset fast for the 40 days of Lent.

He did drink water during these hours, though, which AIUI a Muslim would not.

A bit hardcore maybe but hey, it's only an idea...

I normally try to do that, but I usually break the fast somehow at some point. I think last year I allowed myself to add sugger to the water I was drinking to stop me keeling over at work. It does make you very grumpy though.

--------------------
It's more important to be kind than to be right.

Posts: 1156 | From: Southampton | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
the daily office?

is that universal or do the Rc and C of e have different ones...

do all the bits of the C of E all believe/follow same one... is there just one? [Confused] I would probably go perhaps with a more modern writer - not sure!

I know we've moved on, but I'm a bit slow, so I thought I'd respond to this.

There are tons of different daily offices around, Emma: not even RCs all use the same one! I can think of four specifically Anglican ones that I've experienced: the 1662; Common Worship : Daily Prayer; Celebrating Common Prayer; ECUSA 1979.

In the RC tradition the daily office(s) are often called "Liturgy of the Hours", I use the version in a single volume red book called "Christian Prayer". Many religious orders have their own. There are also Lutheran versions of the offices.

There is a whole (10 page!) thread on this in Eccles.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Make a card for someone who you care about.

Even better, I supposed, make a card for someone you don't care about.

One I tried once (not very successfully) was, when I went grocery shopping during Lent, to try to buy as much for the food bank as I did for my own family (dollar value). This proved impractical to do regularly all through Lent, but I think it still might be nice to try once or twice during the season.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
David
Complete Bastard
# 3

- Posted      Profile for David     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Avoid contributing to lists.
Posts: 3815 | From: Redneck Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gordon Cheng

a child on sydney harbour
# 8895

- Posted      Profile for Gordon Cheng     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take up smoking (one way of giving up oxygen for Lent)

--------------------
Latest on blog: those were the days...; throwing up; clerical abuse; biddulph on child care

Posts: 4392 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016