homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Styx: 40 ideas for Lent (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Styx: 40 ideas for Lent
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for all the creative ideas. The feature is now online here...

http://shipoffools.com/lent/

We'll be publishing the ideas in instalments of 10 days, so the first 10 days only are now up. Please carry on contributing ideas on this thread -- I'll be using a selection of them in the next instalment. Thanks again!

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pendragon

Ship's swordbearer
# 8759

- Posted      Profile for Pendragon   Email Pendragon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try a different style of worship: go to a service you wouldn't normally (at your own church or elsewhere.) Churches often have special services such as Stations of the Cross.

Pray using a rosary or icon or similar as a focus, especially if it's not something you normally do.

--------------------
Not a particuarly GLE

Everything will be OK in the end; if it's not OK it's not the end.
(seen on a fridgemagnet)

Posts: 392 | From: Coventry | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gave up church for Lent one year [Hot and Hormonal]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drive at the speed limit or less.

You would be surprised at how little difference to your time driving over the limit (even fractionally) would save. It mighht feel like you are getting there quicker, but the difference is negligable.

Also it's nice to slow the pace of life, even if you are rushed.

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:

Or just don't drive for a day. At all.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if it's just my browser or what, but when I click on Day 1 I just get a load of gibberish. The others are ok.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Drive at the speed limit or less. ...

But be careful, because you don't want to enrage the drivers behind you who are running late for an important appointment, and who will not understand why you're going so slowly. (Perhaps you should go under the speed limit ONLY on four-lane roads.)

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know the US highway code, but in the UK it is contrary to it either to drive too fast or too slow. I once failed a practice driving test for driving too slowly!

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take some time to think about the people who are important to you. Think about what your life would be like if you had to 'give them up'. Make them aware of at least one thing that you appreciate about them. Thank God for their presence in your life.
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little problem - being disorganised, I only decided to try these ideas today.
So I click on Day 1 and find that, actually, I shouldn't be here at all, as I should be staying off-line.
Oops. [Hot and Hormonal]

So,as has been said elsewhere, I'll get me coat! cheerio!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So shoot my imprecision, my point really was that I am aware that over the limit driving is illegal, as is driving too slow, but rather that we should be careful of our speed fits the road and that we don't go over, regardless of how rushed we are.

It's a safety thing rather than doing 20 on a 60mph road thing.

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nunzia

Shipmate
# 4766

- Posted      Profile for Nunzia   Email Nunzia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plant a large seed, like a bean, in clear glass.

Plant it right up against the side of the glass so you can watch it sprout and burst open and grow.

Think about John 12:24

--------------------
----- ---------. ---- - ---- ----.

Posts: 1903 | From: Crazy-glued to the ledge | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been meaning to say thanks for honouring me by using one of mine.

Thanks

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016