homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: More bizarre news from Mars Hill (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: More bizarre news from Mars Hill
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny S:
quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
And that is exactly what any number of people in this thread and others were doing. It's also completely in order to point out that this sort of case is a fairly direct consequence of the particular model of authority adopted and prompted by Mars Hill/Acts29.

[brick wall] This case? You mean one anonymous person's version of events presented by a blogger. What exactly happened is exactly the case in point.

What you are saying is this - "who cares whether this is actually a fair description of what happened, it fits my view of where Mars Hill strategy leads so it must be true. In fact, Exhibit A."

No. I'm not saying that at all. It's more along the lines of "I think X leads to Y for the following reasons".

I don't know how true this particular blog post is - I would be wary of anyone with the particular views that Driscoll demonstrates in the video I linked to attempting counselling.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Go. Read. Understand. And if you want character assassination, why not see what ConEvos say about OpenEvos? It's like the hard left all over again.

That just makes it worse. You now seem to be saying "you lot started it." Do two wrongs make a right? The stuff referring to KJS was diabolical. Here in Australia the Christian right can be awful. A lot of the current rhetoric around marriage is shrill to say the least. I've said that publicly.
It doesn't make it worse. It's worse already. You asked for examples, I gave you examples.

Of course two wrongs don't make a right, but many on the 'hard right' of the Christian church has absolutely no compunction at denigrating by any means at their disposal anyone who isn't them.

I have no doubt there are also some very waspy libruls, but dammit, they're too disorganised to mount a really effective hate campaign.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
It doesn't make it worse. It's worse already. You asked for examples, I gave you examples.

Actually I asked for examples on the ship but I suppose it is a bit late for that now.

Since we all seem to agree with one another I think we should all have a group hug.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
That said, I'm not sure that all the contributors to this thread have attacked Driscoll's character. His behaviour maybe ...

Maybe this is a tangent but I'd be interested in how you distinguish the two. For me this cuts to the heart of this thread. Driscoll's teaching and ideas are fair game on a bulletin board (for me anyway) but once we start a trial of character via this medium I think a line has been crossed.

I’ll try and unpack this a bit … Going back to the model of the independent evangelical church founded by a (wo)man with a vision from God that I mentioned earlier. One of the factors in the church’s growth is whether or not the congregation buy into the founder’s vision, trust that they will lead them in a Godly way and believe they are someone anointed by God to lead.

(The relationships between congregations and leadership in an independent church work differently to a church that’s part of a group because in those churches there’s always the knowledge that eventually the minister’s going to move on lurking in the background).

Although Mars Hill is massive in terms of bums on pews, it is essentially an independent evangelical church. Driscoll is the founder and leader. He says Make It So and someone does. Mars Hill hasn’t, unlike some of the other churches in the same peer group, pushed other leaders forward and encouraged them to develop a profile.

It’s almost impossible to discuss one without discussing the other because they’re essentially one and the same.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

- Posted      Profile for CSL1   Email CSL1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by CSL1:

You're absolutely right, there has to be, otherwise we'd have to consider Paul in sin when he: 1). harshly criticized those whom he referred to as "Super Apostles" in 2 Corinthians, 2). publicly took Peter to task for snubbing gentiles, 3). critiqued the Judaizers and said they might as well complete their cicumcisions via castration, etc. etc.

Certainly we're never called to shut down our brains, shut up our mouths and allow people to throw themselves into abuse without a word of warning. We're commanded to expose evil, while understanding that we're inherently no better than the worst of them and could, given the proper conditions, fall prey to it ourselves. If we can't do that, then might as well turn off the lights and shut it all down, what's the use of the discernment given by the Holy Spirit anyway?

I agree with your second paragraph but I'm not sure your first one is a fair comparison. Paul spoke to Peter's face and wrote letters directly to the Corinthians. Organising a whispering campaign via the internet seems very different to me.

If that was me I'd do all I can to bring my concerns to the attention of the leadership. If that failed and I felt a crime had been committed then I'd take it to the Police. However, if after my attempts they still refused to listen I'd just have to let it go. Shake the dust from my feet.

What I smell here is not an appeal for justice but a cry for revenge. YMMV. Obviously.

I understand your point--to an extent.

But I don't think the internet can fairly be described as a "whisper campaign" in this day and age, it's more a public shout; the net is roughly the equivalent of regular mail 1,950 years ago, the only difference I can see is the anonymity, many, including me, use a nom de plume (that may be a difference of substance in God's eyes, I don't know).

The "whipser campaign" you describe would be better represented by a series of private emails among a group of malcontents conspiring against a leader who is unaware until it's too late, unable to respond or defend himself. Of course, that's a common tactic used by abusive church leaders towards members.

Paul most certainly did not just oppose people to their faces or write only of his opposition to people who are members of a given church to whom he was writing. I'm hard-pressed to see how a letter written in opposition to abusers, warning believers of their tactics and sent to a community, the Corinthians, and later made public, is qualitatively different from a post to a community (Ship of Fools, SGM Survivors, etc.), written in opposition to abusers, warning believers of their tactics and simultaneously made public.

The bottom line for me is whether the allegations are true or false. If they're false, it doesn't matter to whom they're written or how, it's wrong to publicize them or whisper them in private. If they're true, then I'd say the same principle applies.

We live in transient Western societies where there are any number of people perusing forums liable to move to a major metro like Seattle and decide to give Mars Hill a try, or move to one of the many cities where NFI and SGI churches reside, or any number of other systems prone to abuse. I don't think there's anything wrong with giving fair warning of what people might be throwing themselves and their families into. In fact, I think if you stop at shaking dust off your own feet and let other people go straight into the fire, that's sin by omission. We're commanded to "expose evil".

[code]

[ 28. June 2012, 23:00: Message edited by: John Holding ]

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The bottom line for me is whether the allegations are true or false. If they're false, it doesn't matter to whom they're written or how, it's wrong to publicize them or whisper them in private. If they're true, then I'd say the same principle applies.

The thing is that I don't believe the allegations are true or false.

There is probably some truth, but the young lady is obviously somewhat biassed - she seemed to change once she no longer wanted to be married to her husband - also, tabloid journalism will have sensationalised all this out of all proportion.

I know someone who is not of my denomination will balk at the idea of kissing icons - imagine what a tabloid journalist would do with that?

I don't think we ever can establish what is true and what is not from such an account. I don't know how Mars Hill can resolve it's problems with Mark (that is if they are as bad as the article implies) - but certainly the starting point should not be a tabloid journal article.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

- Posted      Profile for CSL1   Email CSL1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
quote:

The thing is that I don't believe the allegations are true or false.

There is probably some truth, but the young lady is obviously somewhat biassed - she seemed to change once she no longer wanted to be married to her husband - also, tabloid journalism will have sensationalised all this out of all proportion.

I know someone who is not of my denomination will balk at the idea of kissing icons - imagine what a tabloid journalist would do with that?

I don't think we ever can establish what is true and what is not from such an account. I don't know how Mars Hill can resolve it's problems with Mark (that is if they are as bad as the article implies) - but certainly the starting point should not be a tabloid journal article.

I suppose with regard to her particular account, I agree, we'll never know. Point taken.

What I'm primarily defending is the public posting of what people have actually experienced, seen heard, verified in some manner. If I've read what someone says, listened to their sermons, been personally abused by them, had those whom I trust report such abuse to me, I have no compunction about making it public, at least after I've had the opportunity to confront the perpetrator, if possible. Or if Marc Driscoll, Terry Virgo, C.J. Mahaney, John MacArthur say or write outrageous things and they're posted on the net, or have a distinctives page on their site or a unbiblical loyalty oath required of members, and I can look up these things, I can't imagine anything untoward about publicizing these and calling the leaders to task for it, warning potential visitors to that church.

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Or if Marc Driscoll, Terry Virgo, C.J. Mahaney, John MacArthur say or write outrageous things and they're posted on the net, or have a distinctives page on their site or a unbiblical loyalty oath required of members, and I can look up these things, I can't imagine anything untoward about publicizing these and calling the leaders to task for it, warning potential visitors to that church.

It occurs to me that there is an equal - if not stronger - case than that against 'whispering campaigns by blogs on the internet' that could be made against the sort of ministries that essentially seek to influence beyond their own circle of accountability.

After all, Pastor X would presumably not invite Driscoll to speak at his church. OTOH maybe he has to contend with a youth pastor who wants to turn over the youth groups teaching segment to Driscoll videos, or a mans group that wants to watch Driscoll on Corinthians, or an assistant who wants young marrieds to go through 'Real Marriage' chapter by chapter.

I'm not calling for some kind of thought control - but accusations of inappropriate use of technology can cut both ways.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:
Or if Marc Driscoll, Terry Virgo, C.J. Mahaney, John MacArthur say or write outrageous things and they're posted on the net, or have a distinctives page on their site or a unbiblical loyalty oath required of members, and I can look up these things, I can't imagine anything untoward about publicizing these and calling the leaders to task for it, warning potential visitors to that church.

It occurs to me that there is an equal - if not stronger - case than that against 'whispering campaigns by blogs on the internet' that could be made against the sort of ministries that essentially seek to influence beyond their own circle of accountability.

After all, Pastor X would presumably not invite Driscoll to speak at his church. OTOH maybe he has to contend with a youth pastor who wants to turn over the youth groups teaching segment to Driscoll videos, or a mans group that wants to watch Driscoll on Corinthians, or an assistant who wants young marrieds to go through 'Real Marriage' chapter by chapter.

I'm not calling for some kind of thought control - but accusations of inappropriate use of technology can cut both ways.

It's insidious, they stretch their tentacles across christendom, for purposes of personal pride, revenue streams, recruitment into their churches and/or systems, and scope of influence.

The leaders support each other by setting up national conferences to which they invite one another--I suppose with hefty love offerings taken, honoraria paid, or both. It's a quid pro quo, though, because the big name speakers draw large crowds and millions in conference registration fees nationwide. Typically pastors and other church leaders attend these, often all expenses paid by the congregations (was possibbly, next to the building lease or salaries, the largest budget item at the authoritarian church I once attended). They then bring whatever church leadership advice (or unclean spirit) they receive at the conference back to their congregations. The leaders write recommendations for each other's books, videos, small group study guides, etc. They can cross promote with the best of them. It's big business. And the brand is protected with all the zealotry of a big business, they will circle the wagons in a moment and destroy the reputation of anyone who hurts the "brand" of a cash cow.

Many of these types just want to be Something Big, whatever the cost, but there's little room in that paradigm for Jesus to be Something Big. Often those who fall prey to this, your proverbial youth pastor, for example, have no idea that that popular, hip pastor who leads that video series he's showing to the college group on Sunday evenings is in point of fact a thug using Jesus as a front to draw people to himself.

I've known (and known of) young men who quit their jobs, discontinued their education, abandoned family, friends, etc. and moved over a thousand miles just to serve at the feet of church leaders they know only through Youtube or a video series. Many of these young people are so desperate for a teacher, guru, king (perhaps lack of father figure in their youth?) that they'll put up with all manner of abuse to get it. The Bible says you don't need all these teachers if you have the Holy Spirit, that's what teaches you the truth, the teachers at best are mere facilitators and edifiers. At worst they are money-making enterprises who destroy and distort the truth.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is it anyone's business except Mars Hill's?

Yes, yes it is.
Driscoll puts his teaching out to the public therefore said teachings are open to criticism by the public.
If his teachings or behaviour lead to abuse, they then should be exposed. Is the woman in the OP link give a fair and balanced account? Hard for us to discern in either direction. However, her description fits with Driscoll's own words.
I don't have a horse in the race of who does Jesus message properly, but I do in regards to promoting misogyny. Driscoll's message is that women are not much more than accoutrements.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the best services that educators can do is to teach people to critically assess everything they hear. Why Mars Hill is so problematic is that their teaching is available to a wide range of people, through the internet, not just to a tiny enclave of followers in the locality. Because many people accept unquestioningly everything they see, hear and read (which is why tabloids do so well), the potential for damage is great.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched one of Marks videos on "manhood" via YouTube. What do you think the comments were like for the video?...

"Awesome!"
"Just Amazing!"
"Mark Driscoll is so amazing!"
"Praise God for wonderful, talented men like Mark."

Why doesn't someone put something like "What a load of opinionated 'wannabe cool' tosh" (or words to that effect?)

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark Betts: For starters, try Stephanie Drury's website/Facebook page "Stuff Christian Culture Likes." That, among others, exposes assholic Mark Driscoll/Mars Hill behaviors.

Or does the fact that a woman run these online properties mean that you won't take what's in them seriously?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Mark Betts: For starters, try Stephanie Drury's website/Facebook page "Stuff Christian Culture Likes." That, among others, exposes assholic Mark Driscoll/Mars Hill behaviors.

Or does the fact that a woman run these online properties mean that you won't take what's in them seriously?

No - why should it? Anyway I'll take a look, I was just wondering why every comment on his youtube videos seems to pour praise on him and his already over-inflated ego. What do you think?

--------------------

Tyler Durden
Shipmate
# 2996

- Posted      Profile for Tyler Durden     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
After a messy divorce I don't tend to ask the person's ex-spouse for a character reference. That's not to say that they weren't badly treated but just that their view will not be very objective.)

Good analogy but to extend it, if a man has 3 ex-wives who all testify that he used to beat them up...

--------------------
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is a moron, while anyone driving faster is a maniac? Jerry Seinfeld

Posts: 509 | From: Kent | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
nyway I'll take a look, I was just wondering why every comment on his youtube videos seems to pour praise on him and his already over-inflated ego. What do you think?A
Why do you think that every news report from North Korea showed citizens pouring praise on Kim Jong Il and his already inflated ego?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Why do you think that every news report from North Korea showed citizens pouring praise on Kim Jong Il and his already inflated ego?

Yes, I know, but anyone can comment on his videos - they don't have to be his admirers do they?

....wait! Now I understand:
"Comments may be held for uploader approval"

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

Sorry to double post, but I've found an artilce by Jonna Petry, the wife of a former elder at Mars Hill. It will take about an hour to read, but I think it's worth it:

My Story

The writer doesn't seem to bear any malice, and it seems pretty honest. What it does seem to reveal is more an "abuse of power" by Mark. I'm not very comfortable with the term "spiritual abuse" because it can be applied so easily to anyone who doesn't teach the scriptures the way we think they should be taught.

--------------------

CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:
quote:

No - why should it? Anyway I'll take a look, I was just wondering why every comment on his youtube videos seems to pour praise on him and his already over-inflated ego. What do you think?
Of course it's because the people who comment on Youtube are from his church and committed to exalting the guru. I once made a critical comment--nothing malicious or obscene--on one of those Youtube videos and when I went back at a later date to check the video someone flagged it "spam". I reposted the comment the next day and chided the person for lying about the nature of my post--and they promptly flagged the follow-up post "spam". Humorous, sure, but it's not so humorous for people in a cultic group who get an epiphany and challenge the leader and thereafter have their families torn apart and careers ruined by leaders and committed followers.

Followers of cultic groups have a lot at stake, inasmuch as they've thrown their destinies into that hands of a man, they will vigorously promote anything he does, they will cheat, slander and assasinate character to justify their own decisions.

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Followers of cultic groups have a lot at stake, inasmuch as they've thrown their destinies into that hands of a man, they will vigorously promote anything he does, they will cheat, slander and assasinate character to justify their own decisions.

I don't know if I'd go as far as to say Mars Hill were cultic, but the article I posted suggested that it should be renamed "Mark Driscoll Ministries" as the whole thing now revolves around him, as their Messiah figure.

As I said, it's really an abuse of power. I don't think Mark set out to deceive anyone, but it's got to the stage where he really does believe all his own hype.

--------------------

CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:
quote:

As I said, it's really an abuse of power. I don't think Mark set out to deceive anyone, but it's got to the stage where he really does believe all his own hype.
That's exactly what I'd say, I sincerely doubt that he rubbed his hands together with a fiendish grin 15 or so years ago and said to himself "By what cunning strategem can I come to dominate this place completely and become weathly, famous and idolized within reformed circles while simultaneously persecuting the church, destroying relationships and twisting the Gospel to the point where it's unrecognizable?" Of course that didn't happen, but not only does power corrupt, it also reveals. If your character flaws are deep and serious enough and there are large sections of your being that are most decidedly compartmentalized and kept free of God's influence, power and authority will reveal these.
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]That's exactly what I'd say, I sincerely doubt that he rubbed his hands together with a fiendish grin 15 or so years ago and said to himself "By what cunning strategem can I come to dominate this place completely and become weathly, famous and idolized within reformed circles while simultaneously persecuting the church, destroying relationships and twisting the Gospel to the point where it's unrecognizable?" Of course that didn't happen, but not only does power corrupt, it also reveals. If your character flaws are deep and serious enough and there are large sections of your being that are most decidedly compartmentalized and kept free of God's influence, power and authority will reveal these.

Yes.

We pastors can feel powerless because of the frustrations of dealing with difficult parishioners, but the reality is we have far more power at our disposal than we realize. Eugene Peterson calls this an "occupational hazard" in a very real sense, in the same way asbestos or coal dust might be an occupational hazard. He says that is why having a spiritual director is not just "desirable" or "good", but essential in the same way that protective clothing might be essential in other professions.

Sadly, spiritual direction is not really on the radar for most American Protestants. Even finding a spiritual director in many parts of the US evangelical scene is a daunting task.

[ 29. June 2012, 15:43: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know if I'd go as far as to say Mars Hill were cultic,

Not a clear dividing line though, yeah? For some behaviours, the difference between cult tactic and not is intent. Friend of mine is a Christian youth leader and some of what he does in the name of "team building" is straight out of a cult initiation handbook. His intent ,and results, are different, yes. IME, he is not unique in that.
And the same techniques can be used in a malicious manner even if one can not ascribe the word cult to them. I would argue that Driscoll's teachings are malicious regardless of intent.

[ 29. June 2012, 16:00: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
[QUOTE]That's exactly what I'd say, I sincerely doubt that he rubbed his hands together with a fiendish grin 15 or so years ago and said to himself "By what cunning strategem can I come to dominate this place completely and become weathly, famous and idolized within reformed circles while simultaneously persecuting the church, destroying relationships and twisting the Gospel to the point where it's unrecognizable?" Of course that didn't happen, but not only does power corrupt, it also reveals. If your character flaws are deep and serious enough and there are large sections of your being that are most decidedly compartmentalized and kept free of God's influence, power and authority will reveal these.

Yes.

We pastors can feel powerless because of the frustrations of dealing with difficult parishioners, but the reality is we have far more power at our disposal than we realize. Eugene Peterson calls this an "occupational hazard" in a very real sense, in the same way asbestos or coal dust might be an occupational hazard. He says that is why having a spiritual director is not just "desirable" or "good", but essential in the same way that protective clothing might be essential in other professions.

Sadly, spiritual direction is not really on the radar for most American Protestants. Even finding a spiritual director in many parts of the US evangelical scene is a daunting task.

In my opinion no one person should be the main guy or gal in any fellowship, authority, in a biblical sense, should be shared amongst many. I find no position in the NT that quite matches up with the authority and responsibility we've given that which we call "Pastor", "Reverend", etc. "Pastor" is only mentioned once in the entire NT and hardly at all in the OT, and the word carried such baggage for people in that time and place. It was related to "shepherd", which was most decidedly not seen in the Middle East of that era as some great, exalted leader, but as a lowly helper considered unclean by the Jews of the day, perhaps even disgusting (see Genesis account of how the Egyptians, for example, viewed shepherds). Their lives were considered expendable for a blasted group of sheep! And of course Jesus told His disciples if they wanted to be great leaders they must be lowly, bottom of the rung slaves--you might even say something like the dirt scraped off the congregation's shoes.

Jesus referring to Himself as the "Good Shepherd" must have sounded bizarre to their ears. But more bizarre to the first century church's ears would have been the exalted positions in which pastors have placed themselves. When I see a church sign with bold or italicized letters at the bottom declaring "Rev. T.C. Bartlett, Jr., Head Pastor" I know I've run across a church that doesn't know jack squat about leadership.

CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

Clarification: "Rev. T.C. Bartlett, Jr., Head Pastor" is a totally made up name; to my knowledge no such person exists in either fact or published fiction. Just trying to avoid the redaction of the name, it was just an example, if you wish, administrator, substitute "John Q. Public". [Razz]
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's exactly what I'd say, I sincerely doubt that he rubbed his hands together with a fiendish grin 15 or so years ago and said to himself "By what cunning strategem can I come to dominate this place completely and become weathly, famous and idolized within reformed circles while simultaneously persecuting the church, destroying relationships and twisting the Gospel to the point where it's unrecognizable?" Of course that didn't happen, but not only does power corrupt, it also reveals. If your character flaws are deep and serious enough and there are large sections of your being that are most decidedly compartmentalized and kept free of God's influence, power and authority will reveal these.
Power corrupts; alternatively, the corrupt seek power?

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Power corrupts; alternatively, the corrupt seek power?
You said it far more succinctly than me
Shiprat
Shipmate
# 12808

- Posted      Profile for Shiprat   Email Shiprat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...not only does power corrupt, it also reveals. If your character flaws are deep and serious enough and there are large sections of your being that are most decidedly compartmentalized and kept free of God's influence, power and authority will reveal these.

Brilliant observation [Overused]

--------------------
O. .O
(>.<)
"---"

Posts: 274 | From: Upon the My Oh My | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Jesus referring to Himself as the "Good Shepherd" must have sounded bizarre to their ears.

On a Kerygmaniacal tangent, I doubt it sounded bizarre as he sets quite a context within which this claim is made. No doubt it was seen as a BIG claim though in the light of what must surely have been in his hearers' minds from Ezekiel 34
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:
Jesus referring to Himself as the "Good Shepherd" must have sounded bizarre to their ears.

On a Kerygmaniacal tangent, I doubt it sounded bizarre as he sets quite a context within which this claim is made. No doubt it was seen as a BIG claim though in the light of what must surely have been in his hearers' minds from Ezekiel 34
I bow to your superior knowledge here. Certainly there evidently are prophetic implications, as you've taught me here, I guess not unlike Jesus claiming status as "Son of Man".

Nonetheless, in that milieu, where shepherds were considered ritually unclean and/or disgusting to most in that region, Jew or gentile, the notion of the Father in Ezekiel 34 or Jesus in John 10 claiming shepherd-like attributes, given all that baggage that carried, must have seemed odd. Like David, the one who would be king, starting out as a lowly shepherd. Horatio Alger stuff.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
]In my opinion no one person should be the main guy or gal in any fellowship, authority, in a biblical sense, should be shared amongst many. I find no position in the NT that quite matches up with the authority and responsibility we've given that which we call "Pastor", "Reverend", etc.

"Apostle" probably carries at least as much authority & responsibility. But your overall point still stands. In a smaller solo-pastor church (as the majority are), though, that can be harder to accomplish.

quote:
When I see a church sign with bold or italicized letters at the bottom declaring "Rev. T.C. Bartlett, Jr., Head Pastor" I know I've run across a church that doesn't know jack squat about leadership.

To be fair, it probably says more about unexamined social convention than it is a statement about a leadership model. Even in a Reformed church model (which theoretically is all about shared leadership with most decision-making power resting with elders rather than ministers) you're going to find as many badgered and bullied pastors as you will badgering and bullying pastors-- and about every variation in between. But the bottom line is that there is "power" in the institutional authority of the Church, and we ignore the dangers of that power to our own peril.

[ 29. June 2012, 20:24: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:
quote:
]In my opinion no one person should be the main guy or gal in any fellowship, authority, in a biblical sense, should be shared amongst many. I find no position in the NT that quite matches up with the authority and responsibility we've given that which we call "Pastor", "Reverend", etc.

"Apostle" probably carries at least as much authority & responsibility. But your overall point still stands. In a smaller solo-pastor church (as the majority are), though, that can be harder to accomplish.

quote:
When I see a church sign with bold or italicized letters at the bottom declaring "Rev. T.C. Bartlett, Jr., Head Pastor" I know I've run across a church that doesn't know jack squat about leadership.

To be fair, it probably says more about unexamined social convention than it is a statement about a leadership model. Even in a Reformed church model (which theoretically is all about shared leadership with most decision-making power resting with elders rather than ministers) you're going to find as many badgered and bullied pastors as you will badgering and bullying pastors-- and about every variation in between. But the bottom line is that there is "power" in the institutional authority of the Church, and we ignore the dangers of that power to our own peril.

Understood, I'm not necessarily saying that the pastor's name being on the marquis ipso facto means they're an abusive thug, though I understand perfectly how that would be implied based on the context of my posts.

As to apostles in a First Century biblical sense, that's a source of contention for another thread, though let me add that I'm very much unsure whether they even exist, in that context, in this day and age, and even if the station of apostle does exist as you put it, when I read the NT, it appears to be a great deal like the multiple elders/no single leader model I proposed in my prior post, with all the messiness and back-and-forth that that entails.

Paul didn't camp out in one church and call himself "The Apostle", setting up a single leader, "follow me", "come under my authority" fellowship. Just didn't happen.

As to your other point, you're absolutely right, it may be "unexamined social convention"--perhaps typically it is and is relatively innocuous in most cases. But of course, unexamined but wrong-headed social convention also carries through to the inside of the building, and the U.S. church model, which I can speak a bit upon, tends too often to be content with having but two primary parts of the Body: 1). a single loud mouth, shouting at 2). several sets of quivering buttocks. This model, the setting up of a professional "priesthood" class with made-up titles and responsibilities tends to lead to laziness and a devaluation of the priesthood of all believers. It's also a magnet for sadists.

rhflan
Shipmate
# 17092

- Posted      Profile for rhflan   Author's homepage   Email rhflan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm confused that her ex-husband is *still* a member (I assume in good standing) at Mars Hill as he remarried. I would think that Driscoll would believe that he should remain single, and only remarry if he's reconcilled to his first wife, or to someone else after she dies.

--------------------
www.twitter.com/rhflan

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rhflan:
I'm confused that her ex-husband is *still* a member (I assume in good standing) at Mars Hill as he remarried. I would think that Driscoll would believe that he should remain single, and only remarry if he's reconcilled to his first wife, or to someone else after she dies.

I think, in some exclusive types of churches, a partner who has left the faith is considered to be 'dead', and therefore he would be free to marry again. How convenient, and all that...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:

It's not like you actually expect consistency and integrity from Mark Driscoll and Mars Hill, is it? [Killing me]

Reminds me of the authoritarian church I once attended and served about 6 months as an elder before being removed for asking too many questions. It was cut very much along the lines of Mars Hill (in fact, the young turks there knew exactly who he was and thought him The Bomb). Anyway, I once suggested at an elder's meeting that perhaps it wasn't a good thing for it to be so testosterone-dominated, "Perhaps we could have a woman on the elder's team...maybe to head up women's ministries and the like, what you think?" I was quickly tut-tutted and put in my place with 1 Tim 2. Well after the fact, though, after we'd left the church, it occurred to me that the majority of elders were very young and new and newer believers, thus clearly violating 1 Tim 3.

The point was apparently they didn't give a rat's patoot about the Bible, they only used it to serve their purposes.

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Or, ironically in this case, why an Eldership can dilute the controlling influence of Pastor.

IME a lot of non-conformist churches are blind to this issue. They often fear an Eldership as creating a controlling power-base while blissfully unaware that without it (or its equivalent) the full-time Pastor(s) has (have) a lot of power.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
quote:

Or, ironically in this case, why an Eldership can dilute the controlling influence of Pastor.

IME a lot of non-conformist churches are blind to this issue. They often fear an Eldership as creating a controlling power-base while blissfully unaware that without it (or its equivalent) the full-time Pastor(s) has (have) a lot of power.

fwiw, Peterson himself is a Presbyterian, so not at all blind to the diluting effect of a positionally strong eldership. Yet he still finds sufficient power in the ministerial position to give him pause.

--------------------

CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:
quote:
quote:

fwiw, Peterson himself is a Presbyterian, so not at all blind to the diluting effect of a positionally strong eldership. Yet he still finds sufficient power in the ministerial position to give him pause.
The Presbyterian (PCUSA) church where I was a ministry staffer (youth director) had a very fine polity model and a good balance between elders and pastors. No one got too far out of line.
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:
Sorry to double post, but I've found an artilce by Jonna Petry, the wife of a former elder at Mars Hill. It will take about an hour to read, but I think it's worth it:

My Story

The writer doesn't seem to bear any malice, and it seems pretty honest. What it does seem to reveal is more an "abuse of power" by Mark. I'm not very comfortable with the term "spiritual abuse" because it can be applied so easily to anyone who doesn't teach the scriptures the way we think they should be taught.

This is the most compelling story I've yet read about the ugly goings-on at Mars Hill. I've seen similar episodes in like-minded churches, her account rings so true. You're right, she absolutely doesn't sound like she's malicious or disengenuous.
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To go back a little, I might as well explain my caution on this one.

I have a friend who I will call X. Sadly X's marriage ended some years ago, and its collapse precipitated X's departure from the church X and spouse attended, which was also the place they met. Talking to X would leave one convinced that X's former church was downright cultish and at least partly to blame for the break-up of X's marriage. There are two problems with this. Firstly, X has a tendency to read too much into quite innocent comments/incidents (its one of X's few faults - X is a lovely otherwise). Secondly, I know other people who are or were involved with said church independently of X, who I trust, and I really don't get a remotely cultish vibe at all. Note that I don't think that X is being intentionally dishonest in any way. My guess is that X has been trying to make some sense of a deeply traumatic event, and in doing so has unwittingly constructed a comforting, comprehensible narrative which makes sense of a very complicated, messy situation, but is not entirely accurate.

[ 30. June 2012, 19:19: Message edited by: Yerevan ]

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

- Posted      Profile for Arminian   Email Arminian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just out of interest does anyone know how much Mark Driscoll gets paid ? I can't find it anywhere - which is similar to Terry Virgo.

Not good when both organizations seem very good at trying to find out what individuals are putting in the plate.

Posts: 157 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes.

I did read somewhere that Driscoll says "Grace [his wife] is my pastor". Which, given a lot of the other things he's said ... including a lot of what is IMO public shaming of his wife ... feels like a big joke.

Accountability to the elder board feels like a joke too because "dissenting" elders are forced out. (I read Jonna Petry's story a while back.)

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
To go back a little, I might as well explain my caution on this one.

I have a friend who I will call X. Sadly X's marriage ended some years ago, and its collapse precipitated X's departure from the church X and spouse attended, which was also the place they met. Talking to X would leave one convinced that X's former church was downright cultish and at least partly to blame for the break-up of X's marriage. There are two problems with this. Firstly, X has a tendency to read too much into quite innocent comments/incidents (its one of X's few faults - X is a lovely otherwise). Secondly, I know other people who are or were involved with said church independently of X, who I trust, and I really don't get a remotely cultish vibe at all. Note that I don't think that X is being intentionally dishonest in any way. My guess is that X has been trying to make some sense of a deeply traumatic event, and in doing so has unwittingly constructed a comforting, comprehensible narrative which makes sense of a very complicated, messy situation, but is not entirely accurate.

There are simply so many accounts of abusive practices at MH as directed by MD, they're nigh overwhelming. If one man writes of Pastor X being untoward and abusive, I tend to reserve judgment, but when the accounts are ubiquitous, come from a wide range of people, different ages, different socio-economic classes, and they yet match up in substance, it becomes in my mind extremely unlikely that it's all just a concerted effort to persecute a hapless, innocent pastor.

Plus we have the testimony of Mr. Driscoll himself, the potty mouth, the frequent allusions to violence from the pulpit, e.g., "breaking people's noses", his (rather ridiculous, as it comes from an affluent, pampered, chubby, middle-aged fellow) "gansta" persona, the documentated evidence: loyalty contracts required of members, the unbiblical application of church discipline.

My profession is the law, people have been convicted on far less evidence.

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Probably because he's male and all their problems were caused by his ex wife who dared to have opinions.
Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

My Story

This is the most compelling story I've yet read about the ugly goings-on at Mars Hill. I've seen similar episodes in like-minded churches, her account rings so true. You're right, she absolutely doesn't sound like she's malicious or disengenuous.
I agree. That had the ring of truth. It suggests that a distressing cultish process has been developing for some time, with a systematic emasculation (interesting word in this context) of such checks and balances as existed earlier on.

One of the inherent dangers in congregational church settings is to discount the vital importance of collegiate eldership as a protection against the dominant charismatic "pied-piper"-type leader. Johnny S was making this point earlier, I see.

Such leaders do not need "yes" men. Unfortunately, too many of them do not see that. Without humility and real accountability, charismatic leaders (both inside and outside churches) can be their own worst enemies as well as a danger to others.

Chorister is right too. Critical awareness is really important. I hope Mark Driscoll has some left. Even a tiny bit might make a difference. It's never too late to turn around. For his sake, and for the thousands caught up with him.

[Putting my Host hat on for a minute. After reviewing this thread on my return from shore leave, I am wondering whether it should really go to Hell as a rant thread. It's by no means all "rant" (as the above link shows) but it is beginning to look as though Mark Driscoll and Mars Hill are becoming another kind of Phelps-watch. I'm going to check that out with other Purg and Hell Hosts. B62, Purg Host]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having heard a lot of hype about Driscoll I watched some of his video and unfortunately read his last book. What shocked me most about the book was how little of the Bible MD admitted he and his wife knew when they started Mars Hill. Rather frightening thought that - especially with how fast the church grew. I find his treatment of his wife and public humiliation of her unconscionable.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
I find his treatment of his wife and public humiliation of her unconscionable.

I'm not familiar with that... could you elaborate or provide a source? Not that I'm questioning you, I'm just curious to learn more.

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:

Such leaders do not need "yes" men. Unfortunately, too many of them do not see that. Without humility and real accountability, charismatic leaders (both inside and outside churches) can be their own worst enemies as well as a danger to others.

This is why the head pastors of such churches oft surround themselves with such young and new believers as elders. These youthful elders are likely to become arrogant as described in I Pet 3 and circle wagons round the leader if challenged because the leader's the source of their own power. They're also likely to become subservient "Yes men" to the leader, because they don't know much yet and feel off balance managing a church with members decades older than them.

Yes men provide the leader with the perfect mix (lack of challenge to their decisions, bodyguard mentality) for creating a cult.

CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl2:
I find his treatment of his wife and public humiliation of her unconscionable.

I'm not familiar with that... could you elaborate or provide a source? Not that I'm questioning you, I'm just curious to learn more.
He might be referring to the rather personal descriptions of what a "good" reformed wife does for her husband in bed, going into excruciating detail, e.g., anal, oral, etc., and his propping of his wife up on stage to discuss same as an example to the women of MH. Disclaimer: I have not seen this personally , neither read of it nor seen videos, have only heard second hand.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been tagging along behind this thread, following it with interest, because I'm surprised how many people whose 'from's aren't even in the same continent as this Mr Driscoll and 'his' church who are so aware of him and have such strong opinions about him. How well known is he? I've never heard of him or his church away from the ship. Should I have done? Is it a case of 'where have I been?'. Is he really that well known or significant?

If some of the allegations about him are even partially true, he won't be the first person who started out good, but proved not to have the personal calibre or wisdom to handle the temptations of spiritual authority and the adulation of his own followers. Look at King Saul. Nor sadly, is he likely to be the last.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016