homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: What makes atheists doubt their atheism? (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: What makes atheists doubt their atheism?
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
Thanks George - I can't help thinking that if one comes to the conclusion that they don't know how the universe came into being, then might not that person also have to say that there is at least a possibility that God might have had something to do with it all?

Here's the answer. I can feel, see, touch and taste the small corner of the universe I live in. So it makes sense to ask where it came from. I have no reason to doubt it exists. When a person comes to me and says, "God exists", I don't have the same reason to believe in God as I do the universe.

Which just made me think of the following. Maybe the answer to why Atheists don't doubt is because in order to doubt you have to believe first.

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard
http://www.thoughtplay.com/infinitarian/gbsfatb.html

Posts: 1625 | From: Derbyshire - England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
Very alive Sir P. Very alive. Good to see y'all. [Biased]

Ditto Mad Geo. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Unreformed:
I apologize HughWillRideMe, you're not reading Aquinas correctly but it's my fault for not telling you how to. It's a very different style of argumentation than what we're used to. Here's a good instruction manual.

The point I was making about the bone box (a central part of 1st Century Jewish burial, btw) is that the resurrection is the cornerstone of the Christian faith. Disprove, and it collapses. In which case I'd become an ethical deist, perhaps with Jewish tendencies.

First Aquinas is agreeing that the saints in heaven perfectly see the afflictions of the damned and rejoice albeit indirectly unless you want to suggest that we have a bad English translation of his work. See
http://www.newadvent.org/summa/5094.htm

quote:

A thing may be a matter of rejoicing in two ways. First directly, when one rejoices in a thing as such: and thus the saints will not rejoice in the punishment of the wicked. Secondly, indirectly, by reason namely of something annexed to it: and in this way the saints will rejoice in the punishment of the wicked, by considering therein the order of Divine justice and their own deliverance, which will fill them with joy. And thus the Divine justice and their own deliverance will be the direct cause of the joy of the blessed: while the punishment of the damned will cause it indirectly.

And for Aquinas on eternal punishment. See
http://www.newadvent.org/summa/5099.htm

Aquinas's views are those after "I answer that" and in the replies to objections.

As for doubting my atheism, sometimes. Note there is the doubt of desire for an Universalist God and the doubt of fact (the God of Gaps). For the latter the answer is 'I don't know, yet'. For the former, 'wishing for something doesn't make it true'.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The impression I have about some New Atheists, say the 4 Horsemen, is that they would see any doubt as a weakness. And since they seem to want to oppose religion fairly vigorously, if not aggressively, signs of weakness are to be avoided.

Maybe that is too melodramatic, but then I find some of the stuff written melodramatic in itself. Anyway, it is all good knock-about fun, I guess.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

- Posted      Profile for George Spigot   Author's homepage   Email George Spigot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
The impression I have about some New Atheists, say the 4 Horsemen, is that they would see any doubt as a weakness.

Doubt in what?

--------------------
C.S. Lewis's Head is just a tool for the Devil. (And you can quote me on that.) ~
Philip Purser Hallard

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doubt in the non-existence of God.

I suppose you could argue rather cynically, that admitting to doubt might be embarrassing, but saying you have no doubt, might also be embarrassing, as it sounds, well, fideist.

--------------------

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

quote:

I suppose you could argue rather cynically, that admitting to doubt might be embarrassing, but saying you have no doubt, might also be embarrassing, as it sounds, well, fideist.

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

quote:
Originally posted by George Spigot:
quote:

This for me is the thing that makes the question hard to answer. I can comprehend doubting a specific thing. When I'm asked if I doubt that I doubt it starts to sound like some sort of recursive puzzle. Is the next question going to be do you doubt that you doubt that you doubt?

Do you doubt that x exists sounds like a reasonable question.

Do you doubt that x doesn't exist.......I'm poorly educated and I've not studied logic but something about the way the second question is structured doesn't seem correct.

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian
Oh, evil exists. It would take a near-perfect love to get through to someone like Adolf Hitler. Interesting tha tno one is capable of that in your theology...

Perfect love - i.e. the love of God - would get through to someone like Adolf Hitler, but only with his cooperation. That is why it is perfect love. In the absence of such consent, then you are absolutely right in saying that there is no one in my theology capable of getting through to him, because enforced love does not exist. Perhaps such a rapist concept of love does exist in your "we know what's best for you" philosophy?

As this is a tangent, and we've been warned against "off topic" comments, I'll leave it there for now, and possibly respond to your other points on another thread when I have the time.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
quote:

This for me is the thing that makes the question hard to answer. I can comprehend doubting a specific thing. When I'm asked if I doubt that I doubt it starts to sound like some sort of recursive puzzle. Is the next question going to be do you doubt that you doubt that you doubt?

Do you doubt that x exists sounds like a reasonable question.

Do you doubt that x doesn't exist.......I'm poorly educated and I've not studied logic but something about the way the second question is structured doesn't seem correct.

I think that's right. I would say that doubt is just not relevant to an absence of belief in something. Thus, the question 'do atheists have doubts?' is perhaps just incoherent, under this reading.

Of course, if you construe atheism as a positive affirmation, thus, 'I hereby affirm that there is no God, and I know this with absolute certainty', then doubt is relevant.

Interesting point about doubt about doubt - who said I doubt, but I doubt my doubt? Can't remember.

--------------------

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would say that atheists (mostly) do believe in something - it is the philosophy of scientism. That is to say that they believe that science is the only reliable and worthwhile form of knowledge, and any other form (philosophical or theological) is inferior and can only be considered in the light of science.

This is where the "god of the gaps" idea comes from - that God is only relevant for the few small gaps in our understanding of the cosmos, which will eventually be replaced by new scientific discovery anyway.

This is not my belief of course - to me they are not small gaps but gigantic chasms which science cannot begin or hope to fill.

Anyway, I know others will beg to differ, but maybe the real question should be whether atheists ever doubt this philosophy of scientism. I would say it is a belief which some put their absolute trust in, but is it so inconceivable that a few might occasionally think outside the box and wonder whether this belief/philosophy really is all it's cracked up to be?

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Are there people who actually adhere to scientism?

That strikes me as odd, as it is obviously self-defeating. It is not a scientific claim, therefore, is disbarred.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trouble here, and why this thread was inevitably derailed, is that there are ultimately two questions that are, I believe, being confused by the Christian side of the argument.

Do I think that I might be wrong in my own conclusions? Yes. Regularly.

Do I think that I might be wrong in my own conclusions and that the right answer is the One God of the Bible, the God whose only Son incarnated and then was sacrificed on the cross?Hell no. And thank goodness.

And I was trying to answer both questions. If you are wrong about the existance of God, that may lead directly to atheism. But if I am wrong about the existance of the divine, I then need to work out what divine is out there. Christianity is only one possible step if Atheism is wrong. And IMO it's one of the least likely options (and I am very glad of that). I think the way I'd go if I wasn't an atheist is for some form of universalism or panentheism.

For the record the last and indeed only time I considered seriously converting to Christianity I was clinically depressed.

And @Mark Betts, the problem there comes down to the reliability of knowledge. We know there are vast limits on even what can be provable on pure logic that should be in the realm of logic (see Godel's proof for details). And there's plenty that's valuable that can't be proved by science. I believe @SusanDoris is an actual subscriber to scientism, but for myself I'd be happy to see something better. After all, science can only actually say what's false rather than what's true.

Also @Net Spinster, thanks for digging up the passages in the Summa Theologica. Game, set, match I think.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
Do I think that I might be wrong in my own conclusions and that the right answer is the One God of the Bible, the God whose only Son incarnated and then was sacrificed on the cross?Hell no. And thank goodness.

I personally deliberately avoid such black and white alternatives. It may be assumed by atheists that this is what we are asking, but I'm only asking whether they might ever think outside the box of their mindset and consider something bigger than what science (or scientism) has to offer.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

quote:
I would say that atheists (mostly) do believe in something - it is the philosophy of scientism.

For me it would be believing in things when I can see evidence for them. Is that the same as scientism?

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

I don't believe in the existence of scientism. (Naturally enough, occasionally, I have doubts about that.) For one thing, it is obviously self-defeating.

I also find it hard to believe that there are atheists who don't have just normal folk-type ideas, such as, this chocolate is fucking ace, or the X-factor is fab, or hell, my panties are very bunched up today, etc. etc.

[ 17. July 2012, 12:44: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------

Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

- Posted      Profile for Squibs   Email Squibs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
But : the q in the title. What makes me doubt my atheism? Without wishing to sound super creepy, the most unsettling thing for my status quo is other people. Wild acts of kindness or thoughtful wisdom from Christians make me think that perhaps I am missing something. There is something compelling in what they have, the philosphy, the mindset. And I want that. And, then I remember how it didn't work for me in my Christian times and in my currentness, I think - no. I can't go back. And whilst never say never, I would wager that I will never go back to any form of theism, I'm toooooo bruised.

But those moments exist.

I have noticed that there is a particular type of atheist who is prone to denying that emotion had any significant impact in the journey to atheism. I suppose these people would self-identify as "rationalists" and Freethinkers and are often anti-theistic in nature.

I would think that if ever I became an atheist one thing that would trouble with respects to my world-view was the question of morality - specifically if concepts such as "good" and "bad" could exist in an absolute sense. (I have personally never heard an atheist who gave an adequate answer to this question.) Indeed, this is the very same question that was influential in my journey away from apathetic agnosticism and back towards Christianity.

Anyway, sorry you have been bruised, Beenster. Christians are often as good as the next (if not better) when it comes to damaging others. Not always though, thank Christ.

Posts: 1124 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
Perfect love - i.e. the love of God - would get through to someone like Adolf Hitler, but only with his cooperation. That is why it is perfect love.

So when I have seen a child throw a temper tantrum, kicking and fighting, and a mother just hold that child gently until he calmed down and accepted the love despite the initial active opposition, it was flawed love that got through? Right. Gotcha. I'll take human love over your 'perfect' and inhuman love any time. (I'm not sure I shouldn't put the word love in quotation marks when referring to your love-that-tortures-with-fire-and-brimstone).

quote:
Perhaps such a rapist concept of love does exist in your "we know what's best for you" philosophy?
I don't always know what is best for people. That is because I am not omniscient.

--------------------

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kankucho:
quote:
You, as an atheist, have to believe that 98%+ people who ever lived are all superstitious deluded morons ...

Atheists don't actually have a Pope-equivalent telling them what they may and may not believe, whatever satirical snortings may be currently flying around about Richard Dawkins. Atheists choose to not imagine that existence is the creation and/or domain of a supernatural deity. No opinions on what others imagine, nor the effect of that on their intellect, is stipulated in the definition of atheist.
You're absolutely right, Kanchuko. I should have said anti-theist, or Internet Atheist (not the same thing as an atheist on the internet, e.g. HughWillRideMe doesn't seem to be an Internet Atheist). The kind that holds active, seething contempt for religions rather than just not believing in them, or asking honest questions about them.
Subsections noted and (I think) understood. [Smile]

Whatever, the 'pure' definition of an atheist though, it is difficult for atheists in the kind of society that most of us here inhabit to completely dodge allegations of anti-theism — that we are (even if only subconsciously) reacting against a cultural norm, against a belief system with such a welterweight of history and erudite commentary that it is commonly held to be self-evident (italics: qv in this thread). I think it is this, as a remnant in the subconscious, that could most cause an atheist to waver.

My own approach to the OP may not be of much relevance to a collective atheist opinion, if there is such thing. As a Buddhist, I think of myself as an 'atheist-plus', and of the original historical Buddha as the Grandaddy of atheist philosophers. That is, he expounded a cogent set of suppositions about the nature of existence, which were not reliant on god belief. The Chinese philosopher Tien T'ai encapsulated these suppositions in his concept of ichinen sanzen* ('3,000 aspects to one moment of life') — a formula of life in a self-originating, self-contained and self perpetuating context. What stops me doubting my atheist position essentially comes down to my appreciation of ichinen sanzen. To my mind, it effectively plugs the gaps left by what might be called 'orthodox' materialism. The 'plugs' are foundations for investigation, rather than glib, dogmatic answers.

(* I don't know the provenance of this link so I don't necessarily agree with other content on the site: but the essay seems to be a good objective assessment of the major points of what I understand by ichinen sanzen.)

[ 17. July 2012, 12:54: Message edited by: kankucho ]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
quote:
I would say that atheists (mostly) do believe in something - it is the philosophy of scientism.

For me it would be believing in things when I can see evidence for them. Is that the same as scientism?
Pretty much, yes. I think it's also called posivitism.

--------------------

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramarius:
what gives atheists the most cause for reflection about the strength of their convictions?

Seeing the good done by religion.

I’m a doubtful atheist. I doubt the truth of everything in which people believe- especially as this applies to myself. This is called scepticism, and it is the best basis for reaching an understanding of objective truth. Doubt is glorious!

I don’t know there is no god, so of course there is an element of doubt in my belief (that there is not). Atheists who claim no doubt in their belief are as self-deluded as any wishful-thinking theist. However, I come to this from the position that religion importantly does more net harm than good, and for that reason I feel we’re better off discarding it. I therefore choose to believe there’s no god, but I often see the good things done because of religious belief, and this, more than anything else, challenges my position and causes me to doubt the validity of my atheistic position (after all, if believing in a nonexistent god causes overall good then it is surely better to believe, since it matters not in any other sense).

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Pretty much, yes. I think it's also called posivitism.

Actually, No - you may not have seen any evidence, but you put your complete faith in a scientist who says he has proved it.

--------------------

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
I ..... choose to believe there’s no god, but I often see the good things done because of religious belief, and this, more than anything else, challenges my position and causes me to doubt the validity of my atheistic position (after all, if believing in a nonexistent god causes overall good then it is surely better to believe, since it matters not in any other sense).

And previously...
quote:
Originally posted by Beenster:
Wild acts of kindness or thoughtful wisdom from Christians make me think that perhaps I am missing something. There is something compelling in what they have, the philosphy, the mindset. And I want that...

I'd say that, as atheists, you own the decision whether to act altruistically. As indeed do theists. The difference, I think, is that theist belief structures produce carrots and sticks to push that decision in the positive direction. But there's absolutely no need to miss out on value-creating actions just because you don't have a 'higher purpose'. Just do them, enjoy them for their own sake, and experience the happiness, which is their innate benefit.

I've been along to several gatherings of Action for Happiness, the organisation behind the above link. People have shared many experiences which illustrate the veracity of its tenets. Not a single person so far has ever mentioned the G word.

[ 17. July 2012, 13:38: Message edited by: kankucho ]

--------------------
Kankucho Bird Blues

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I personally deliberately avoid such black and white alternatives. It may be assumed by atheists that this is what we are asking, but I'm only asking whether they might ever think outside the box of their mindset and consider something bigger than what science (or scientism) has to offer.

Can I just ask on what basis you presume to know what is an atheists' mindset, especially as you seem to be lumping us all together? What you seem to be saying is that ought to adopt your superior mindset instead.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:
Can I just ask on what basis you presume to know what is an atheists' mindset, especially as you seem to be lumping us all together? What you seem to be saying is that ought to adopt your superior mindset instead.

Maybe it would have been better to say "atheist worldview" as opposed to "theist world view". No-one said anything about superiority, although we can all be guilty of such a charge.

Anyway, granted, not all atheists think the same, but I would have thought the atheist and the theist worldviews could quite easily be distinguished and separated.

--------------------

George Spigot

Outcast
# 253

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pre-cambrian:

Maybe it would have been better to say "atheist worldview" as opposed to "theist world view". No-one said anything about superiority, although we can all be guilty of such a charge.

Anyway, granted, not all atheists think the same, but I would have thought the atheist and the theist worldviews could quite easily be distinguished and separated.

There's only one thing that we can say atheists have in common.

--------------------
Philip Purser Hallard

Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:

What's that? If it's the unbelief of any higher power than the human intellect, then that prettywell defines the atheist worldview... doesn't it?

[ 17. July 2012, 16:18: Message edited by: Mark Betts ]

--------------------

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

^ If it is, then here's one atheist that disagrees with it. There is no statement about the human intellect in the definition of 'atheism'. But I did say my opinion isn't necessarily normative, but this is a simple matter of etymology.

--------------------
Kankucho Bird Blues

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only started to read this topic this afternoon, so I’ve some catching up to do! In one of the first few posts, I notice that the motivation for caring for someone with multiple problems ‘must have come from somewhere’. Yes, the altruistic behaviour of humans which has developed along with our evolution. I wonder why someone would choose to attribute it to some nonp—human agency? When it is clear that people of no religious
Faith, as well as those with, will behave like this.
Unsurprisingly, I am in agreement with most of HughWillRidmee’s post!
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
Firstly - believing in a god or gods because one cannot think of an alternative is known as “belief in the god(s) of the gaps”. Human beings thought of thunder and lightning as a “gap” until we understood +ve and -ve electrical charge, we used the power of the sun as a “gap” until we understood radiation etc. etc.. Filling the gaps in knowledge with a god, any god, is a decision which involves choice. If you choose the christian god over (say) the hindu gods it matters not – you have your “gap” filled (but human knowledge - the basis for medicine etc. - has advanced not one jot).
I don’t think my atheism counts as a conviction, it’s just the inevitable result of the way I look at life, the universe and everything. I look at the world from a sceptical viewpoint. I neither need nor expect to have an answer for everything.

Agree, but I think my scepticism came more to the fore when I was teaching, finding out things to ensure that I was telling the children what was true and in coming into contact with people in different areas of my life who were already atheists. Before that, it had been part of the background of life.
quote:
I grew up in Christianity, smothered in Christianity and totally oblivious to the possibility of doubt.
Here my experience was different. I grew up in a CofE home with Sunday School etc but it was balanced by the fact that both my parents believed in God but had realised that the biblical stories were stories to teach moral behaviour, not to be taken as factual.

Since realising I was an atheist, I have not had occasion to reconsider. I hasten to add that this does not mean I dismiss arguments for beliefsince I never know when one might come up which has evidence to back it up!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Is it correct to speak of an atheist 'world-view'? That seems odd to me, since there are Buddhist atheists, who may believe in satori (enlightenment), there are Hindu atheists, Christian atheists, and so on.

Not having a belief in something is surely not a world-view, is it?

For example, atheism does not entail materialism. You could believe in Berkeleyan idealism, and be an atheist, although he wasn't.

Or you could be a neutral monist, as Russell was, and be an atheist.

Or you could believe everything is made up of happy little pixies, which are able to masquerade as quarks, and be an atheist. Etc, etc.

--------------------

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
quote:

What's that? If it's the unbelief of any higher power than the human intellect, then that prettywell defines the atheist worldview... doesn't it?
1: Unbelief isn't a positive trait.

2: There is absolutely nothing inherent in atheism that caps the power level at humanity. There can to an atheist be theoretically higher powers than humanity (and I know some who'd place the heart above reason). It's simply that there isn't a monotheistic God.

And there isn't one strand of atheism. You might as well talk about one strand of Christianity. (Regrettably I need to share a tent with the followers of Ayn Rand - and I'd rather line up with the Roman Catholic Church).

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Squibs:
It would be nice to see people like HughWillRidmee, The Great Gumby, Justinian, Mad Geo and Crœsos answered the bloody question ..

And me!!As Justinian said, the only thing which would make me doubt atheism is an actual miracle......but even then, I'd be doubting the miracle and want to find out its natural cause and in the end would opt for the 'we don't know yet' conclusion! [Big Grin]

But it's always so interesting to read these discussions, or perhaps exchanges of views would be more appropriate. I venture to suggest that one of the reasons Christians may doubt their beliefs is because they can never produce that one vital piece of evidence that will settle the matter.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rosina
Shipmate
# 15589

- Posted      Profile for Rosina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Rosina:

There is no "evidence" for gods. There is belief, yes. Evidence, no. It says so right in the Book:

"Blessed are those that have not seen, and still believe", right? That was the Big Guys words, right?

Jesus in "the Book" is recorded as saying "God is spirit"

There is loads of evidence for the existence of God. As God is Spirit, so also His Word. As His World is of Spirit, so also His Word which describes these matters.

The physical body of man is designed to die and rot away. It is the spirit which lives.

There are many testimonies which are evidence of the truth of the matter. Learn the difference between evidence and proof.

There is a way to prove the existence and reality of God. However, it is a way designed by God, which must be followed in order to prove the matter. Belief and faith are two quite different things.

Faith is confidence and trust substantiated
by the revealed knowledge of the truth of a matter.

Faith is a result of the evidence.

--------------------
"Imagine." If you can imagine, you can dream, and if you can dream, you can hope and if you have hope, you may seek and if you seek; you will find.

Posts: 75 | From: Lancashire | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
Originally posted by Justinian:
2: There is absolutely nothing inherent in atheism that caps the power level at humanity. There can to an atheist be theoretically higher powers than humanity (and I know some who'd place the heart above reason). It's simply that there isn't a monotheistic God.

I never said that the alternative to athiesm had to be belief in a monotheistic God. I believe in a Trinitarian God (ie monotheistic), but I don't infer that such a belief is necessary for a theistic worldview.

--------------------

Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

- Posted      Profile for Ramarius         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I'll have to check the definition. It's certainly not science. Peter Higgs postulated the existence of now famous partcile in 1964. There was no empirical evidence for it until now. But I'm not going to get hung up on a definition. Scientology ain't got much to do with science...

Nice to have you back on the thread by the way.

Posts: 950 | From: Virtually anywhere | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

quote:
I'll have to check the definition. It's certainly not science. Peter Higgs postulated the existence of now famous partcile in 1964. There was no empirical evidence for it until now. But I'm not going to get hung up on a definition. Scientology ain't got much to do with science...

Yep - you need to. Science, scientism and scientology are three very different things. btw, no-one's proved to me that the Higgs Boson "god partical" exists, but I guess they had to say something to justify the £2 000 000 000 Large Hadron Collider in a continent otherwise crippled by austerity measures.

--------------------

Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

quote:
quote:

Yep - you need to. Science, scientism and scientology are three very different things. btw, no-one's proved to me that the Higgs Boson "god partical" exists, but I guess they had to say something to justify the £2 000 000 000 Large Hadron Collider in a continent otherwise crippled by austerity measures.
I understand it was called the 'God particle' because it underpinned everything in the universe and was elusive
[Biased] . It simply confirms the standard model of particle physics which has been held on theoretical grounds for decades. But back to the o/p.....

Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

- Posted      Profile for Squibs   Email Squibs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

And they wont prove it to you because science isn't in the business of providing proof - at least in the absolute sense.
Posts: 1124 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ramarius
Shipmate
# 16551

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by Think²:
One of the issues for me was the way science couldn't really explain one's most important experiences in a personally meaningful way. Love and grief being the most obvious examples.

quote:
Originally posted by Hairy Biker:
It was the improbability of existance that got me in the end.

quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
Lastly there was just something there.

quote:
I just had a series of experiences of something which could not not exist...and then looked around for a spiritual practice, which could 'hold' them, and Christianity seemed to work pretty well.

These statements are moving! Thank you. [Angel]

To which I would add...

Just simply that there is life after death. That is all the doubt I need.

Jengie John

--------------------

Amika 

There is nothing that makes me doubt my atheism. I simply cannot believe in any religion (or other form of belief). It's not particularly fun being an atheist but for me it's not a matter of choice. I was brought up surrounded by Christianity and stopped believing unprompted by anyone or any circumstances as a young child. Since then, despite a lifelong interest in Christianity, there has never been anything I've seen, heard, read or experienced that has led me to doubt my lack of belief.

------------
 Beenster

I believe I'm an atheist which probably is a strange thing to say in itself. ..

What makes me doubt my atheism? Without wishing to sound super creepy, the most unsettling thing for my status quo is other people. Wild acts of kindness or thoughtful wisdom from Christians make me think that perhaps I am missing something. There is something compelling in what they have, the philosphy, the mindset. And I want that. And, then I remember how it didn't work for me in my Christian times and in my currentness, I think - no. I can't go back. And whilst never say never, I would wager that I will never go back to any form of theism, I'm toooooo bruised.

But those moments exist.

---------
George Spigot

No I can't think of any time I've had doubts. 

----------
Yorick

I’m a doubtful atheist. I doubt the truth of everything in which people believe- especially as this applies to myself. This is called scepticism, and it is the best basis for reaching an understanding of objective truth. Doubt is glorious! 
---------

Thanks for entering into the spirit of o/p. Any more?

--------------------
'

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rosina:

Trust me Rosina. There's no evidence. If there was I'd likely still be a Christian.

There's stories. There's anecdotes. There's wishing. There's mythology. There's a vague sense of unease like indegestion. But that's not evidence.

The "evidence" that one might invoke is that same "evidence" that one would invoke for Baal, Shiva, and Ghosts. I don't think you want to use that evidence. I know I wouldn't if I were you.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mad Geo:
quote:
There's stories. There's anecdotes. There's wishing. There's mythology.
Yup. Not evidence, but it's enough to let it work for me. I can believe six impossible things before breakfast with enough energy left for a few more later in the day.

Hi, Mad Geo! Glad to see you around. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Squibs
Shipmate
# 14408

quote:
quote:

Trust me Rosina. There's no evidence. If there was I'd likely still be a Christian.

There's stories. There's anecdotes. There's wishing. There's mythology. There's a vague sense of unease like indegestion. But that's not evidence.

The "evidence" that one might invoke is that same "evidence" that one would invoke for Baal, Shiva, and Ghosts. I don't think you want to use that evidence. I know I wouldn't if I were you.

Why should we trust you? You've provided no evidence that we should.

Anyway, I would like you to do us the honour of justifying your statement because you are essentially saying that every single person that has believed, currently believes and will believe in God does do so on the basis of no evidence whatsoever. That is a stunning claim.

As I see it, there is evidence for God. In the context of Christianity this could bee seen as things like historical evidence, personal experience, philosophical arguments and scientific discoveries to name categories that spring to mind. There is also evidence against God. For example, the problem of evil is particularly strong evidence against an all powerful and all good God. The question is whether any of this evidence is reliable or not.

Curious how this thread is again descending into an attempt to rout Christianity. Why is this, I wonder?

[ 17. July 2012, 22:26: Message edited by: Squibs ]

Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

I'm, perhaps surprisingly, with the theists here. Anecdotal evidence is a form of evidence. This doesn't mean that it's a very good form of evidence and the plural of anecdote is not data. But it is evidence.

--------------------

Rosina
Shipmate
# 15589

- Posted      Profile for Rosina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

There is also love joy and peace. There is the joy of giving. Something happens deep inside you when you give for the needs of another.

It's called a reward and is the consequence or result of following the first law of God, the principle of love. It is a very healing process.

WRT 'evidence' the authors of scriptures declared all they experienced. When a person does what they did, and experiences what they spoke of (that is written about) that person has proved their word as truth thereby proving the reality and existence of God.

Love, is just the beginning. It is the foundation of good will. On this comes truth, always speaking in truth. Honesty creates a clear conscience. It removes stress and conflict.

God has sent forth, love, peace, and good will toward mankind. He has offered to teach man how to live a life of peace, love and joy.

One man responded to this offer of God. He made God his Teacher and 'Father' It has been written
that through tears and loud cryings, he learned obedience to all he was taught, and was saved from the life man teaches and structures.

And He tried to share all He was taught with others so they too could experience "abundant Life".

--------------------
"Imagine." If you can imagine, you can dream, and if you can dream, you can hope and if you have hope, you may seek and if you seek; you will find.

Posts: 75 | From: Lancashire | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
originally posted by Yorick
after all, if believing in a nonexistent god causes overall good then it is surely better to believe, since it matters not in any other sense

I disagree – are you suggesting that doctors should recommend ineffective treatments because they may trigger a placebo effect? As I understand it medical consensus is that lying to patients is a) wrong and b) once discovered, is likely to damage patients’ trust and therefore risk avoidable harm should subsequent life-threatening events occur.

quote:
originally posted by Mark Betts
Actually, No - you may not have seen any evidence, but you put your complete faith in a scientist who says he has proved it.

No, it’s seems as though you are assuming science is just religion without a divinity.

I trust the scientific method - hypotheses, gathering of evidence, analysis of the evidence, drawing a conclusion, publishing in a peer reviewed journal, replication by others. Of course it is not impossible to get things wrong via the scientific method, but it’s a lot more trustworthy than someone who says something you like the sound of, even though their claims (if any) of supporting evidence amount to hearsay, imagination, arguments from authority, tradition etc.

quote:
originally posted by Mark Betts
It may be assumed by atheists that this is what we are asking, but I'm only asking whether they might ever think outside the box of their mindset and consider something bigger than what science (or scientism) has to offer.

Bigger is a bit of a vague word isn’t it? Do you mean larger, better, more complex, truer, less factual, more erudite, more theoretically developed..? Presumably, as far as you’re concerned, the something that is bigger (whatever/however) than science is related to your belief in a god or gods. I guess that you are passionate about your belief but phrasing your comments so that they prejudge an outcome is not conducive to sensible debate. You might feel aggrieved if an atheist were to ask if theists are so incapable of rising above the mediocrity of servility to a rather ridiculous concept of divinity as to be unable to consider that the world is a better place because the benefits of science have largely replaced the religion driven-failures that preceded them. (For example; antibiotics tend to be more effective against certain diseases than painting a cross on the front door of a house).

Too much testosterone and too little respect for other people is a recipe for war-war rather than jaw-jaw. Whatever I might think of your ideas I have no way of knowing how you came by them. As someone who was brought up in one of christianity’s many subsets I know that the pressure to conform, which can apply to other forms of belief (and non-belief) is immensely powerful. Some people have the ability to resist/overthrow such pressure, others can’t. I don’t think that a person who can’t is any less a human being and therefore should be treated with appropriate respect. (It’s a bit like hate-the-sin; love-the-sinner).

I reserve the right, of course, to reconsider the appropriate level of respect if some-one persists in behaving like an asshole. And I, of course, never ever behave like an asshole.

quote:
originally posted by no_prophet
It is commentary on the woeful state of education that people can graduate with high school diplomas, and university degrees, with little more than a Dawkins-like, 10 year old's understanding of religion -- well comparable to the illiteracy of fundamentalists and literalists in terms of any form of actual knowledge of what they criticise and defend.

This crops up repeatedly in many different forums and from many different sources.

I suspect that anyone who thinks about it will come to the conclusion that it’s really rather silly.

One could also regard it as a woeful commentary on religion that its proponents disagree about pretty much everything except that belief in a god or god(s) is somehow a good thing. If someone much cleverer than me spent seventy years studying religion – let’s make it easier – just versions and varieties, and sub-versions and sub-varieties (and major and minor sub/sub varieties – you get the drift) of Christianity they would never know it all – but someone who has studied and researched long and hard to become an acknowledged (by his peers) expert in his field is expected to know all about your (and everyone else’s) particular take on each and every esoteric convolution which can be forced under the umbrella of religion before his take on the basis of all those religious disputations (the existence of a god or gods) is valid.

quote:
originally posted by Rosina

No it isn’t – do you have a dictionary? if not use this link

faith
• 1 - complete trust or confidence in someone or something
• 2 - strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof: (my added emphasis )

quote:
originally posted by Squibs
Anyway, I would like you to do us the honour of justifying your statement because you are essentially saying that every single person that has believed, currently believes and will believe in God does do so on the basis of no evidence whatsoever. That is a stunning claim.

As I see it, there is evidence for God. In the context of Christianity this could bee seen as things like historical evidence, personal experience, philosophical arguments and scientific discoveries to name categories that spring to mind. There is also evidence against God. For example, the problem of evil is particularly strong evidence against an all powerful and all good God. The question is whether any of this evidence is reliable or not.

This is about what constitutes an acceptable level of evidence and, for me, your concept of the evidence for god (I don't think that there are any scientific discoveries that count as evidence for god) is like the concept of evidence that homeopaths use to justify their sales patter. “We can’t be expected to provide scientific proof because science doesn’t understand how our non/extra-scientific things work”.

We have built up a practice of law which includes safeguards when it comes to the admissibility of evidence. Applied properly it prevents the conviction of the accused when the evidence is not good enough. Hearsay is not good enough, Guessing is not good enough, Co-incidence is not good enough, Revelation is not good enough, Conviction is not good enough, Un-corroborated eye-witness statements are not good enough (and there are probably more – I’m not a lawyer).

Apply this test and religion, like homeopathy and faith-healing and dowsing etc. etc. fail. This leads to special pleading . If you allow special pleading you get the problem of having to allow it not only for Christians but also for Muslims, for $cientologists, for Wiccans, for Jedi and even for atheists (unless you can justify your personal use of special pleading by invoking further special pleading, and then invoke... you can see where this is going can’t you?)

Offline for a few days – don’t go away.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an atheist I've held off replying while I figured out why the OP question annoys me. It's not hypersensitivity to my shaky worldview or as I originally thought, annoyance at a trolling expedition.

I think that it's assuming one world view. I have contemplated deism and thought about Pascal's wager before rejecting it as immoral. However, for me, doubt (and faith) are not a constant companion.

To try to translate it, there have been thousands of gods people have and do believe in.
How many of these do you personally concernn yourself about your belief or non belief. As a Christian do you spend a lot of time wondering if you should be believing in Islam or the nearest river deity because you have gotten the wrong version of the message? I don't see this universal anxiety and I think you'd be annoyed if you were assumed to have it.
You may be engaged in believing or doubting in a one or two relgiions and happily ignore many other religions that don't impress you. That's fine. Yet you expect atheists to be engaged in doubting if not believing at least one religion. That's not a requirement for atheists. Some do, others don't but it's a broad church. [Smile]

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HughWillRidmee:
I disagree – are you suggesting that doctors should recommend ineffective treatments because they may trigger a placebo effect? As I understand it medical consensus is that lying to patients is a) wrong and b) once discovered, is likely to damage patients’ trust and therefore risk avoidable harm should subsequent life-threatening events occur.

No. I’m not suggesting that doctors should recommend ineffective treatments because they may trigger a placebo effect. That sentence doesn’t even make sense.

I’m suggesting that what matters here is whether religion is an overall good regardless of the non-existence of God, since His non-existence cannot be known. To take medicinal analogy then, the only thing that matters is whether the patient feels better. It does not matter if the medicine is placebo since this cannot be known, so there’s no question of lying to the patient or trust being damaged, etc.

[BTW, do you think you could learn to do quotes in the usual way? I find your posts difficult to untangle and reply to. Thanks.]

[ 18. July 2012, 09:56: Message edited by: Yorick ]

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

quote:
Originally posted by Palimpsest:
As an atheist I've held off replying while I figured out why the OP question annoys me. It's not hypersensitivity to my shaky worldview or as I originally thought, annoyance at a trolling expedition.

I think that it's assuming one world view. I have contemplated deism and thought about Pascal's wager before rejecting it as immoral. However, for me, doubt (and faith) are not a constant companion.

My take is that it's very simple. An underlying premise is the value, ubiquity, and need for faith. And the corresponding issues with doubt. Basically it's a question asked in the assumption that everyone thinks the way Christians do.

--------------------

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would think that if ever I became an atheist one thing that would trouble with respects to my world-view was the question of morality - specifically if concepts such as "good" and "bad" could exist in an absolute sense. (I have personally never heard an atheist who gave an adequate answer to this question.) Indeed, this is the very same question that was influential in my journey away from apathetic agnosticism and back towards Christianity.

Squibs, first you misrepresent me by calling me an atheist (I'm not, or at least not yet), then you claim that I didn't answer the question in the OP (I did, even though I'm not a performing seal and I suspect the OP conceals an agenda), now finally your stated reasons for hypothetically doubting atheism are identical to one I gave which you deemed inappropriate in some way. For someone who's lamented the direction the thread's taken, you're not doing much to convince me that you're interested in genuine discussion.
quote:
I have noticed that there is a particular type of atheist who is prone to denying that emotion had any significant impact in the journey to atheism. I suppose these people would self-identify as "rationalists" and Freethinkers and are often anti-theistic in nature.

Well, that depends, doesn't it? My journey has been (and remains) very emotional, but not in the way you imply. Emotion is what makes it harder for me to cut the ties and walk away, not easier. I suspect if I was completely rational, I'd have gone long ago.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amika
Shipmate
# 15785

- Posted      Profile for Amika   Email Amika   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been thinking about my earlier post and would like to add to it a little.

I doubt quite a lot of things - whether this world is really what it seems to be, whether existence itself is what it seems to be, etc. For my own sanity I have made a conscious decision to assume that it is, but I toy with other ideas at times. One of the ideas I toy with is whether some 'superbeing' could exist. My answer to that is, of course, I don't know. But what I do know, as much as anyone can say they know anything, is that if there were such a superbeing then no religion yet described, imagined, or created by humans has yet made sense of it to my satisfaction. Hence I cannot believe in any religion or other form of belief currently practiced. I don't doubt my atheism in relation to what humans believe God to be.

Posts: 147 | From: Ingerland | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016