homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Taking offence where none was intended... (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  39  40  41 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Taking offence where none was intended...
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I mean, really! It's been awfully quiet around here recently. What have you got to say for yourselves? Hmmm?

[ 21. November 2012, 00:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since when do we have to report our innermost thoughts to you, Big Brother? Your parental tone offends me.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kelly, as someone who has no biological children, I am offended by your use of the term "parental". I can be just as annoyingly overbearing and directive as anyone who's actually given birth.

[ 04. April 2012, 15:01: Message edited by: Meg the Red ]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear, oh dear. Meg, as a non-annoyingly overbearing and directive parent, I take great exception to your broad statement. My children will tell you that I am never offensive. Hmmph.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And who says that your children are the final arbiters of all that is Right And True™? Do you think the rest of us don't have a brain? Or that we're blind to what is going on around us? Disgraceful!

--------------------
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you suggesting I'm visually impaired?

I'll have you know I'm not in the least bit blind to what is going on around me. I simply choose not to pay it any attention.

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see how you mock people with attention disorders. Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When did you kiss my mother?! You home wrecker!

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well someone has to kiss your mother, seeing how neglectful you are. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Vie En Rouge, can you begin to imagine what it's like for the visually impaired to go through life having to endure repeated usages of "seeing" as a metaphor for "knowing"?

Thank God this site isn't translated into braille.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You numpty - How dare you be so patronising to people with VI? They are perfectly capable of understanding that seeing is knowing.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whereas you, Sir, may be capible of seeing, but it is plain that knowing escapes you.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am offended that one who accuses others of not knowing things seems not even to know how to use a spell-checker. I thought this was an English website?
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
English? So you would deliberately exclude American, Aussie and whatever-else from the ship?! Offended? I'll say! [Disappointed]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How could you possible use "whatever" when speaking of persons? Treating them like mere objects instead of saying "whoever"?

(Aside to Stetson: when I first started hanging out with blind people in number, I felt very uncomfortable when they used "I see" to mean "I understand." Wisely I didn't mention it.)

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So you think it is appropriate to use asides on a public board like that? How do you think that makes the rest of us feel? We feel excluded, that's how we feel. Clearly you and Stetson are the in-crowd, but the rest of us can't help not being so in. So, please be so kind as not to have private conversations on a public board, sir!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In crowd? There's an In Crowd? Gwai, I thought you were my friend! Why haven't you told me about this before?

I am shocked, shocked, I tell you. I think I'll just go have a little bit of a lie down. And a cool rag on my poor aching head.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh that's right - you just take the cool rag! Don't worry about us, we'll be fine, you just go right on ahead.

A little word called "please" wouldn't hurt, you know.

[ 04. April 2012, 19:52: Message edited by: Stejjie ]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find it offensive that you are attempting to impersonate my mother. Particularly with that moustache, Stejjie.

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, so you have a problem with facial hair now? That is sexist and beardist. I am sick to death of those who don't appreciate the care and attention we have to lavish on our faces each month.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sexist? SEXIST? Do you have to scrape or burn off or rip your hair out by the roots on a regular basis to satisfy unrealistic expectations promoted by fashion media? Please - when do I get to lavish attention on my leg hair?

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How dare you boast about your wealth of facial hair! Some of us wept when we were children, and discovered how difficult it would be for us to grow decent facial hair, simply because we were female.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I can't believe you'd follow a cross-post like that, and then not either go back and delete, or change your post to respond to the cross-poster. What were you thinking?

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[tangent ON]
Was this thread started to give Mousethief a leg-up in his quest to reach 100,000 posts?
[/tangent OFF]

I'll go now, because I'm just not all that easily offended.

Goodbye. **waves**

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, lah-di-freaking-dah, Ms Superior Aboveitall. I guess the collective whines of the less evolved bruises your tender ears. I'm sorry we mere mortals don't measure up.

[ 05. April 2012, 02:46: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mere mortal? Look hon, I think you have to evolve beyond the primordial ooze—you know, show some signs of life—before you can claim that title.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

OK, Mr. "Wander onto a Game Thread and do as I damn well please", where is your offense? Where? If you have been quivering with the pent-up desire to randomly smack me with a wholly undeserved and wildly inaccurate put-down, you know where Hell is.

Sorry, my Circus friends, I know that I shall be sniffed at for "junior hosting" but my offense at this blatant rulebreaker knows no bounds.

Also-

quote:
Primordial ooze
Your mama.

Pfft. At the very least I'm a simple vertebrate.

[Outrage makes me fuck up my code. All your fault, jackass.]

[ 05. April 2012, 06:36: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Dear Ms Alves, please don't use such language, some of us have tender ears and even more tender constitutions, you know - at least you admit you are, and I quote, simple, which is, I suppose, partial reparation.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey, man, don't you go dissin' my sister - and don't be tellin' her what language she can and can't use, neither. Tender ears? You got too damn many tender ears by the look of you.

Freak.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Offended by the sheer lack of attention to detail. You're not here for the fun of it, mate.
a) He's not a man but a three-swollen-headed god or something
b) he has no ears asfaIcs. This oversight and the quality of your avatar painting suggest you should kindly join the queue for the blind and stop barging in on this gathering of sensitive verte brats, whatever that may be, a kind of Easter bunny presumably.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:
You're not here for the fun of it, mate.

Fun? Fun? None of us are here for fun! How dare you suggest that anyone could consider something as serious, worthwhile, important and meaningful as the Ship in general and this thread in particular could be considered as mere fun. We're pouring our souls out into these posts, you know.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, this side of the Pennines we know what fun is and I was having fun reading it till you popped up from t'other side.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
Well, this side of the Pennines we know what fun is and I was having fun reading it till you popped up from t'other side.

[Tangent]The irony of which is, I was born in Grimsby and lived in Sheffield, so I am actually from the right side of the Pennines...[/tangent]

... which makes it all the more offensive that you would assume that just because I live here, I am from the wrong side of the Pennines.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have assumed only that in responding with a serious nowt-to-laugh-at approach you are either a native or have successfully assimilated.

(At least you acknowledge that it is the wrong side)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am offended that you should post so rapidly that my carefully thought out and erudite post, as you'd expect from me, should have to be deleted and replaced with this tosh!

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

I will post as wapidly as I wish Woderwick. I am offended that you should assume precedence.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I am offended that you should assume I seek precedence - all I seek is a fair crack of the whip!

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

I am offended you should assume that I am the assumer. My point is about your assumptions. I have not assumed. I have pointed to your assuming precedence, not seeking it.
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am offended by your pointing out assumptions. It is rude to point.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am offended by your judgmental attitude in pointing out othrs' faults.... Surely we should just go about forgiving folk for their stupidity and rudeness but tactfully not point it out....

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

Look here, pal. The Assumption of Mary is a most wonderful and blessed feast in which we celebrate the passing of our Dear Lord's mother bodily into heaven. It is a very sombre and reverential day. So for you to casually call out 'assumptions' and suggest that any one of us takes them less than seriously is really quite horribly offensive.

[Cross-posted with Rowen. Oops. [Hot and Hormonal] ]

[ 05. April 2012, 12:24: Message edited by: Imaginary Friend ]

--------------------
Brian Clough

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I'm offended that when you crossposted with our Reverend Sister you didn't delete your post and write a new one - lazy or what?

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's a bit rich coming from a self-proclaimed feckless layabout.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Can it, Frenchie. You can talk when you move somewhere you have to actually work eight hours a day and can't spend August lazing about.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

OK, first off, French-baiting is so Bush-era.

Second, the bitter spite and envy saturating your last post condensed on my monitor, dripped down the screen, and corroded my computer desk. I think $347.95 ought to cover it-- note I have thoughtfully calculated tax and shipping for you.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

You patronizing so-and-so! Who made you god to decide which courier service and taxation jurisdiction to use for the replacement of your desk? Huh? Perhaps FedEx is a better choice than UPS. Maybe USPS beats them both! How do you know? Not only would inquiring minds like to be enlightened about how you got to your conclusion, they demand to see justification for your assumed ability to make such a judgement in the first place.

--------------------
Brian Clough

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

I have an enquiring mind and I don't give a monkey's about Fedex or whoever. I want to know about the desk. Where's the proof it was damaged? Is it really worth what's being claimed or is it actually a cheapo self-assembly job from Argos? What about contributory negligence in failing to cover the desk with a bile-protector? These are the things that exercise an enquiring mind.

I am offended that you make assumptions about the direction of my enquiries.

[ 05. April 2012, 22:00: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's this about proof it was damaged? Don't try to deny that your reference to proof is a sly secularist dig at supposedly benighted religious believers. We can tell.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Well! Talk about paranoid!

For your information Daffy religious believers don't have to accept whatever they're told. Being gormless and gullible does not make you a better person.

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Excuse me - I have to tell you that followers of the great Daffy do, in fact, have to accept exactly what we're told and I take great exception to your use of words such as gormless and gullible in this context. Daffy is a duck - in fact He is The Duck - and the mention of any kind of gull in the same sentence is... oh damn

- now look what you made me do.

[ 05. April 2012, 22:32: Message edited by: QLib ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  39  40  41 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016