homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Taking offence where none was intended... (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  39  40  41 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Taking offence where none was intended...
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smudgie, I'm quite staggered that uffda suggested that Bean Sidhe wasn't a suitable parent to her children and all you can pick up on that he ignored some pettyfogging punctuation issues.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am offended that you think I should spend my leisure hours thinking about children. Isn't it bad enough that I should have to think about them in my working hours? If I want to fog pettily, I shall.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A penguin not thinking about its children? Leaving them to fend for themselves for weeks on end? How typical!

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:
A penguin not thinking about its children? Leaving them to fend for themselves for weeks on end? How typical!

Typical speciesism. Can you imagine swimming for hours through freezing water searching for food just to feed your kids? I'll bet you can't. Mind you, I don't think Smudgie could either. Rumour has it there's an organic gourmet wet-fish superstore just down the road from her, but that's not the point! You're a human, she's a penguin. QED.
Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh now fine assumption then isn't it? EE has not identified what species s/he is and, judging by her/his reasoning ability, it is not likely human. But then, you did use your reasoning to the best of your ability, so...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh here we go ... the worst of humanism. You know ... like sexism (believing that sex is nasty), racism (antagonism towards equine or motrine sport), humanism (dislike, albeit warranted, of the human species). If Beanie wants to apply the inadequacies of human reason to the questions of avian aquatics what's it to you? Huh?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa, you'll set me off wailing at this rate. You of all people should get it that human reason, inadequate or whatever, has zippo application to anything on this thread. Least of all from me.
Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Uhhuh. So you're saying you're being intentionally irrational? How are we supposed to have a reasoned discussion with you, then? These are discussion boards, are they not? Stick to the purpose and conform to the norm, please.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Who is this Norm of whom you speak? How would you expect me to conform to him (an ambiguous entreaty if ever I heard one) when I know nothing about the man? And you talk about rational discourse??

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shame on you Bean! Asking AA to speak of rational discourse is akin to asking a vegetarian to rate burgers. Poor dear has not the equipment.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But has he the ability to write in complete sentences?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wod, will you kindly piss of to the Asking Random Questions That Don't Pertain To Anything Being Said thread?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well Kelly, we don't have that thread. Feel free to start it in Heaven, though, where it will be closed promptly.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am mortally offended, AA, that you see fit to continue this tangent of "forgetting to be offended"ness where a whole series of people, creatures and inanimate objects blatently ignore the rules of the game. I could expect it from them, but from you, whom I hold in the highest esteem (well, the highest of the lot of 'em who post here, which isn't saying much) have brought me gross disappointment this morning. I thought better of you. And I was proven wrong.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All that is very true, Smudge, but note he was also picking on me, and you said nothing about that. And here I always thought you had my back, What a dream world I live in. [Frown]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

And just what, pray tell, is wrong with a dream world? The real one can be a bit shabby at times, living in a dream world is luxury. And you not appreciating your circumstance. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The dream world is all very well for those who can afford it. Haven't you heard there is a Recession, or possibly even a Depression? Reality may be shabby and devoid of luxury but it has many superior qualities - I can't think of any right now but I'm sure they're there.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm offended that you should give us hope and then dash it so abruptly!

[Waterworks]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's wrong with dashes? There's plenty of room in between commas and parentheses. Instead they're relegated to the lands of ignorance and even confused with hyphens. That's not fair on either dashes or hyphens, which have their own useful job to do.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

As my carefully-crafted - and meticulously-punctuated - posts will - in the unlikely case that you actually read them - demonstrate, I have an apparently-inexhaustible supply of dashes. Indeed - so far as I can tell - they seem - constantly - to be dropping out of nowhere, like the under-appreciated detritus of another world. Are you suggesting - or even asserting - that I'm in a land of ignorance? How very dare you.
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

In the land of ignorance? I assumed you were its queen! To be fair, all evidence was pointing to this conclusion. In fact, I am incensed and offended that you dropped clue and hint nearly everywhere that this was the case and now reveal it was a ruse. Though a splendid ruse it was; most convincing.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Whoa ... let us not slip into disparagement of queens. Some of my best friends are queens. Besides these days it's illegal to stereotype others on the basis of innate proclivities.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And just who have you decided to label as having "innate proclivities"? That vocabulary comes from the same phrase book as "local yokel" and other put downs and is so offensive as to be off the scale.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Dash it all- just what are these "innate proclivities everyone seems to be talking about? What local yokel has them? And if we are allowed a gaggle of geese and a murder of crows, what in the world is wrong with a disparagement of queens? Ultra-hyper-sensitivity to offense is itself offensive!

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

What is all this negativity towards the yokel?
While yokeling might not be my favourite form of musical expression, one can respect the control such vocal manipulations require.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

The local yokel crack came from my father when some poor lad phoned me up from school, just because he had a gentle Dorset burr. I really, really don't know how you managed to mix that up with yodelling - or even could describe yodelling as pleasant, have you been in any inside space with someone yodelling?

--------------------

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

You've the brass nerve to call ME the 'queen of ignorance', when you don't even know a yokel is one who tells yokes for a living? [Disappointed]

[ 03. July 2012, 07:35: Message edited by: Bean Sidhe ]

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

All this messing about with the Queen's English is offensive to one as well-brung-up as I. It is clear that the expression in quesion is not a single-worded noun but rather a greeting to a very special member of the crowd of offensive posters on this thread.

"Yo! Kel!" [Big Grin] (I'd use the little waving smilie but we don't have one)

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
All this messing about with the Queen's English is offensive to one as well-brung-up as I.

I think you'll find that should be "as well brung-up as *me*". And you have the effrontery to criticise other people's English. Hypocrite.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

It is offensive enough to correct someone in such an imperial manner, doubly so when your correction is incorrect. You've been too long amongst the French, poor thing.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
One can never be too long among the French.

But I wouldn't expect hoi polloi like you to understand.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I find it difficult to find anything to cause offence in your post, apart from the minor detail of you forgetting to complete your first sentence before appending the full stop.

Let me be of assistance:

"One can never be too long among the French... without coming out smelling of garlic"

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

'Hoi poloi' comes from ancient Greek, meaning simply 'the majority' who - while not guaranteed to be right, or even sensible - are nonetheless not to be sneezed at. Suggest you grab some tissues, La Vie.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

What do you mean by Ancient Geek? Just because I'm, erm, marginally past my prime and understand something about new technology there is no need to call me names!

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Oh, that's right. Ignore the penguin, why don't you?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, we all try but sometimes she get's so offensive that it's difficult!

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

[tangent]
[Razz]
[/tangent]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Once again, pengu, we have a topic for discussion, stick to it! Tangents, especially ones involving icons and references to other threads, are most offensive. Is that really too difficult to understand, or must we throw you a rotting fish or two to make you behave?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Rotting fish? What's wrong with offering fresh fish? Has she no feelings? No intrinsic worth?

[Let me think about those questions a while, I'll get back to you?]

--------------------

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

You need to think about the intrinsic worth of a penguin? Ballast, that's what they're good for. If all the penguins left the Antarctic, the world would turn upside down. And then what???

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Forgetting the legacy of the Diggers and Levellers and the World Turned Upside Down? Or do you in fact remember and are contemptuously dismissing it?

I thought this was a website for Christian Unrest.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, who died and made you offical manipulator of the tagline? Have you notified Simon about this?

Oh and before I dash to class...

Smudgie, you backstabbing bitch. Just like you to insult me THIRTEEN POSTS AWAY from my last contribution and then STUFF your PM box so I can't savage you in the manner you deserve. You and your angelic little smiley face.Both of them.

You think you got the world fooled? Think again, sweetie.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

[tangent]
[Angel]
[/tangent]

or should that be

[tangent]
[Two face]
[/tangent]?

I am simply offended that you took this long to notice [Biased]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Hmmph Smudgie, totally offensive behaviour making this thread all about you. Are there no others here to get offended on their own, if not your, behalf?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

How can anyone possibly be offended on behalf of a penguin? We all know they have no feeling - and who could blame them or their feet would feel very cold!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

No feelings?! She spends all her time on the thread complaining that her feelings have been hurt. That you pay so little attention, [Disappointed] can you not spare one of your heads for this?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

I am offended that you should refer so flippantly to the fate of Saint Charles King and Martyr.

--------------------

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

As I recall from my schooldays, King Charles only had the one head. That he so generously donated it to history is, of course, commendable - but hardly relevant to lilB's injunction to Wodders who, self-evidently, has a surfeit in that department. Perhaps he should donate the one he inhabits when he posts here? I doubt he'd miss it.

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was not notified that one had to pay for the privilege to be offended here. I therefore solemnly declare that I have areputation for not paying attention, hard earned on the various mafia threads, and I have no intention of throwing it in doubt by doing so here. My only currency are kisses.

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I'm totally offended by the thought that you think your kisses are acceptable currency.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  39  40  41 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016