homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Taking offence where none was intended... (Page 33)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  39  40  41 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Taking offence where none was intended...
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, London gets banana trees. What about the rest of us? Where are the banana trees in Huddersfield or Grimethorpe or Leeds? Considered too good for the likes of us I suppose. [Disappointed]
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you implying that certain denizens of northern industrial towns might be inclined to clamber around in banana trees were the facility available to them? That's racist, that is!

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm offended at the implications of your inference, and the restraint of tropical tree climbing in northern locales. To call it racist escapes the point entirely. Trees of the World Unite, you have nothing to lose but your fruit!

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why, you capitalistic little shit-stirrer, you.

From The Bible (Wikipedia):

quote:
The United Fruit Company was frequently accused of bribing government officials in exchange for preferential treatment, exploiting its workers, paying little by way of taxes to the governments of the countries in which it operated, and working ruthlessly to consolidate monopolies

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sister is called Ruth, and now you seem to advocating a ruthless society.
How could you?
My own sister a commodity to be disposed go?

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rowen, if you bothered to parse what you read, you would see that I am aiming my bitter bile at a ruthless society. I am very clearly advocating a ruthful society. Stop trying to get a certain Admin Emeritus down here to kick my ass.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am shocked, shocked, that you suggest that our own beloved dear Ruth is without merit. I am positive she merits something... not sure what, but definitely something.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why, she merits ME of course! She merits to be treated and wooed like a lady which means first thing in the evening she needs to be rescued from the coarse company of YOU lot. I have just the now given orders to water the armour and polish the donkey. And once I have found the Ikea-manual for the 15-foot wooden spear and shield I shall immediately ride to her rescue.
That'll be a gallant night!
I am bitterly disappointed that you have not thought yourself of inflicting this insuperable chance of merriment on the poor lonely girl. Is really the tiniest wee bit of thinking too much to expect?

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am speechless. You want to report me to Social Services with a trumped-up allegation of banana-tree neglect, and now you're proposing (not a word I should use, perhaps, with the likes of you) to polish a donkey?? There are many things you could do with a donkey, and I'm sure you have, but polishing is quite definitely beyond the pale. It's the RSPCA for you, me lad.

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know of no law against polishing donkeys. It may not be usual but that doesn't make it wrong. Surely what matters is that the donkey isn't harmed in any way. Assuming the use of suitable products I can see no ill-effect from a donkey's looking spruced up and shiny. No doubt the gallant knight got his donkey polish in Ikea when he went to buy the self-assembly spear and shield. He just wants to look his best for his gallivanting. Why spoil his fun?
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You are defending Sylvander?! [Disappointed] Please do not encourage him.

Side note: hadn't thought of the animal cruelty angle. Figured "polish the donkey" was some sort of euphemism.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
Why spoil his fun?

Her.
I am sure you meant to write "her". If you want some private tuition on the proper use of the common English pronoun, I'm your man. We could then progress to the improper use of an uncommon German pronoun. I promise it is all very instructive.

Now, THAT is a subtly innuendoed youphemism, little Bud. Your post by contrast made me shiver.
And not with antcipassion.

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am deeply offended that you have seen fit to invent a fine sounding new word without consultation with me. Though honestly what ants do in moments of flagrant delight may be of limited interest to a wider public.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Flagrancy? How dare you advocate flagrancy! Next it will be fragrancy and vagrancy! And flouncing. You are leading down a terrible, dangerous and frivolous path towards burlesque which will only encourage the moral slide of Circus into immorality. Oh my, am I offended!

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am offended to the very centre of my nipple tassles. How can you badmouth burlesque! I may have to write to the right reverend Liza about this.... [Frown]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Untorque your panties, hun. What good is sitting alone in your room? Come hear the music play...

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kelly, how would you know about BL's knickers? Are you hitting on more ladies than Sylvie? This is a Classy Establishment, and none of us have to stand for your ill behavior.

Plus, we really don't need another one of you turning this into the dating thread, thank you. The Circus is not a pickup joint.

[ 22. August 2012, 01:44: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Classy Establishment?

Well, I suppose it was until you came along and joined in!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Don't kick a guy when he's down, Wod, he's wallowing in envy that I get more female attention than he does. Nowhere to go but up, but still.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To be fair, I do get the impression he is a bit more, um repressed than you are.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

To date, Evensong has never complained. So there.

[ 22. August 2012, 03:12: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The term you're looking for is "decorum." Or "propriety." Don't you know the meaning of "propriety?"

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

And he's so bitterly envious that he just STEPS RIGHT OVER ME. Your witness, God.

( I refuse to fan-gush over one of my favorite movies of all time. Don't bait me.)

[ 22. August 2012, 03:16: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sweetie. Chill. I KNOW you're not used to being stepped on. But I'm kinda offended that you're offended by that. Let's hear it for the sistahood who triumph through submission...

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And there you are, adding chilli to the thread without asking everybody if we all like it. Some of us don't like chilli, thank you very much. Please check first in future before adding condiments.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quite. Next thing you know, it will be extra garlic and parsley and those stupid edible flowers and the whole thing will end in madness.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

End in madness? Have you not been paying attention? This thread was conceived in madness, has steeped in madness; glories, revels and wallows in madness. Every participant is certifiably insane!*
Ariston wanders around in his clown pyjamas, thinking himself a dishwasher; Kelly types half her posts with her nose as she is restrained in a straight jacket; Syllie acts a combination of Cyrano de Bergerac and Don Quioxte. We have a nutter who thinks herself a wailing spirit or gaseous emission, another who thinks she is a penguin! She jumps in the neighbors' pool, splashing about, naked save for black and white paint, then wanders town begging for fish! Really quite embarrassing. The saddest is the geez, um, pensioner who thinks himself an ex-pat in India. Spends his days sitting atop his toy elephant, reliving the days of the Raj. Though, to be fair, he might have been there, given his age...
Anyhow, this place is a veritable asylum, and you say might end in madness. [Disappointed]

*Excepting, of course, myself.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I am offended that I was not mentioned in lilBuddha's listing of insane people. Not even included generically or in a way that I could at least believe I was included.
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

WE are the insane ones? Which is more credible: to believe that the lot of us are nutters going around in penguin body paint (etc.), or that you're the one with the hallucinations?

It'll all be allright soon, dearie. I know of a good, safe place where you can take a little vacation for a spell. Shhh now. I know, it's hard work being the Buddha, but you can do it when you get back.

Now doctor, about those delusions of being a major religious figure . . .

[ 22. August 2012, 15:44: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
We have a nutter who thinks herself a wailing spirit or gaseous emission

You calling me a fart? You want to come outside and say that??

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, the air might be more pleasant (depending on how long the 'gaseous emissions' have been building up inside). [Big Grin]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Before I'm sectioned under the Mental Health Act, lilB, could you resolve something? Your sig says 'formerly lilB' but on my screen, right above those extraordinary, gorgeous horns of yours, you are still 'lilBuddha'. For those of us who might still just be teetering on the edge of insanity, this is very unsettling.

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Wasn't me, Starbug!

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You double post here, taking up valuable bandwidth, to tell us what you're not? If you're totally vacuous, then, clearly, it would be preferable if you left posting on this thread to those of us of more substance. Me, for example. I am of considerable substance.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Shut up, Smudgie.
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Beanie, that sig thing pissed me off, too. I promptly sent an Irate PM to articulate my feelings. What did you do? Whinge in front of all of us. Well done!

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Okay Bunbun. Let's get something straight, appliance clown to errant lagomorph. You do not get to tell the penguin to shut up.

Ever.

Do I make myself clear?

Furthermore, that intentional double posting? Yeah. I don't think I need to go into further detail. You know how some people are scared of clowns, like that ghastly one IF had last H&A Day? If you were wise (which, I've noticed, you aren't), you would be one of them—because this clown is watching you in the creepiest way possible.

You've offended us for the last time. Be ready.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I am simultaneously insulted and aroused. That was masterful. Um, in an offensive way.

(Off to sort out confused feelings. Damn your eyes.)

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

. . .

The appropriate end to this thread is all-out thermonuclear war, not "and then they all fucked."

I swear, all the flirting. I really don't think the thread has been moved to the long-lost T&T board, do you?

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Once again: Kelly<<< Californian. To you it's flirting, to me it's the kind of honest expression of my true self that only fifteen thousand dollars worth of EST classes can by. This dogged lack of cultural sensitivity is getting old.

Oh, by the way? Theta clear, mofo.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not only is a sentence ended with a preposition but it is one that makes no sense!

Oh, I see - it is a typo! It should have been "buy" - what a shame you didn't spend some of that money on learning basic English - or even how to use the preview button!

Lest you be offended by what I say let me assure you that I say all this in the spirit of love.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, are you serious? "Spirit of Love"? Isn't that the title of Chapter One of "How To Be a Christian and Still Be Really Insulting"?

Let me tell you what you can do with your spirit of love. You can fold it five ways and shove it where the sun won't hit it.

--------------------

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

I am offended by the incoherence and sticky affectation you offensive people are engaged in.

And I am further offended about the comment about prepositions. But if you insist, I will rewrite my first sentence:
"I am offended by the incoherence and sticky affectation you offensive people are engaged in, you ninnies!

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Ninnies? That's the best you've got?
Thou lump of foul deformity; thou churlish, clay-brained clotpole. Toffee-nosed, malodorous pervert. Alright, you are likely not a pervert, but I love the way that flows. Point is get creative, even if you must steal it, yeah?
Ninnies, I show up for that? what's the world coming to then, yeah? this is the legacy we leave for the next generation? Disgraceful, it is.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Surely it is better to age disgracefully than it is to age gracefully? Just think how many Shipmates there would be left if you eliminated all the disgraceful ones!

In fact of all those that participate in this thread I think only I would remain - but then I am pure.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

It is annoying when people don't finish their sentences. You claim to be pure, but pure what? Pure genius? Pure evil? Pure-as-the-driven-snow? Pure comedy? You're telling us nothing.

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Ninnies? That's the best you've got?

I am offended that because I am using a computer that you could not hear the sneering and obscenely drawn out way this would sound if I'd said it to you directly. Nor can you hear me upchuck and belch in your direction. [Projectile]
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Much better, np!

Not good, but better. Like the effort, though. To be fair, you are in fast company. WW, for instance, reeks of decay and pure malevolence before typing a word. I am offended by him as he approaches his keyboard.

[ 23. August 2012, 13:31: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
It is annoying when people don't finish their sentences. You claim to be pure, but pure what? Pure genius? Pure evil? Pure-as-the-driven-snow? Pure comedy? You're telling us nothing.

Wrong as usual, Justlooking. Wodders was so put out that AA is a dishwasher, he decided to go one better and become a
digital radio.

As for you, lilB, you continue to confuse us with your phantom name change. Do we take this as a lame attempt at irony?

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Not certain what you're on about, old Bean.

[ 23. August 2012, 14:12: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  ...  39  40  41 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016