homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Taking offence where none was intended... (Page 39)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Taking offence where none was intended...
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Of course there's a limit! We just haven't found it yet.

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would have thought we were over this imperialist presumption that parts of the world don't exist until they are found by us.

It wasn't lost. It was always there.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ermmm... I was saying something exists even though we haven't found it. Being offended by the opposite of what I actually wrote is stretching the remit just a little, wouldn't you say? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Below the Lansker
Shipmate
# 17297

- Posted      Profile for Below the Lansker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, that's just great - now Beanside gets to say what we can and can't be offended by. Time you learnt we live in post-modern times when the text means what the reader says it means, not what the writer says. I am offended beyond belief that you want to impose the fascism of authorial intent on the rest of us.

TO THE BARRICADES !!!

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Well, Bacon Sarnie, I'm fine with that. If Dafyd is offended by his own reading of the text, he's offended by himself - and quite right too.

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bean, me old fruit, what is this pre-revolutionary emphasis on right? Can it be that you envisage a complementary wrong? That is so century before last that it merits listed status as an ancient monument of thought, if thought we can call it. Get real. There is neither right nor wrong, only convenient and inconvenient. Ask any politician.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Jacobsen, this cynicism about our politicians is so typical, and so offensive. The burden of responsibility borne by our lawmakers, constantly preoccupied by our welfare, holding the fate of our nation in their hands - assailed by journalists as cynical as yourself... knowing that a fickle electorate may throw them into oblivion regardless of their endeavours, their sacrifice... and all for such paltry rewards. I have to tell you, I am glad I am typing this because I am too tearful, too choked to speak.

However, I must thank you for inspiring a new sig for me, paying appropriate tribute to these extraordinary public servants. It should appear below.

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am most muchly disappointed that after the axed rabbit, we now have another member of the female species intent on changing her sig more frequently than other people change lovers. Where are your morals? Your manners? Your modesty? And most importantly: your taste! For where the bunny occasionally picketh quotes from decent shipmates (well, the *one* decent shipmate) you just follow the shallow mainstream celebrity culture. What's the world coming to?
Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am SHOCKED and APPALLED!

What do you mean there is a decent Shipmate?

I have been here for years and never has any one of them appeared to me to be in the least approaching decency!

Oh, sorry, I get it now. You meant me, didn't you?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At last. You're back. Do you realise that it's been two weeks since you last posted on this thread? And you didn't so much as let us know you would be missing. [Disappointed]

ETA: Bloody crossed posts! [Mad]

[ 14. September 2012, 13:27: Message edited by: kingsfold ]

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh my! kingsfold, typically when someone misses Syllie, it means the brick they threw is now crashing a window. You appear to have used a different meaning. Don't you realize, to him, that is tantamount to a marriage proposal?
"kingsfold and Syllie, sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes.." Ye Gods, I nearly lost my lunch, the thought of little Syllies running around in big floppy hats and nappies, chasing kitty.
Run, kingsfold, run!

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
lilBuddha, you gotta be on some register or other, suggesting that the Syllie babes should run round in the sun without protective hats. Have you no sense, no feeling, no awareness that upon this new generation rests the responsibility for paying our pensions? If you had your way, we'd all be paying lifelong maintenance for them and their flash fried brains.
Oh, my blood pressure..... [Mad]

[ 14. September 2012, 14:22: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, lilB, I've just had my supper then lost it again because of the imagery you use.

Have you no consideration for the more sensitive of us?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are we somehow supposed to be interested in your "senior moments"? What are you expecting us to do - look for where you absentmindedly left your supper? Can't you get paid carers or something?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Well, I wondered at what new depths to which Pingu might have sunk and now she is insulting her elders and betters!

You know the old saw about could God make something so heavy that God herself couldn't shift it? Well, I wonder if there are depths to human depravity so deep that Pingu would sink there?

[Eek!]

--------------------

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sink? Sink? Now, while Pingu has said some inexcusably horrible things on this thread, but, you sir, have gone too far. What are you implying about the doubtlessly svelte penguin that you think she would sink, hmmmm? A gentleman keeps such thoughts to himself, or, better yet, has them not at all.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

My my, Ariston - what are you up to, preening up to Smudgie all of a sudden? 'Doubtlessly svelte'??? Have you forgotten those feet? I'll bet you haven't. There's something you want more than a shapely ankle and pretty toes, isn't there? Well take care, mister. We're watching you.

[ 14. September 2012, 16:39: Message edited by: Bean Sidhe ]

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Below the Lansker
Shipmate
# 17297

- Posted      Profile for Below the Lansker     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Beanside, why is it that whenever you post, the tone of the thread plunges inevitably towards the carnal? [Disappointed]
If only you could maintain the Elysian heights of moral and discursive purity to which I am sure all decent-thinking contributors aspire.
Perhaps you would find a more conducive milieu were you to open a sort of second-level thread (and take the axe-wielding bunny girl with you).

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BtL,

Your words would ring more powerfully if they came from possession rather than lack. Purity is not a virtue if it is the only choice you have.

BTW, Beanie is only impure by intent, by opportunity she is pure as the driven snow.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Nah lilB, I'm pure by intent but impure in my dreams...

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Below the Lansker
Shipmate
# 17297

quote:
Originally posted by Bean Sidhe:
I'm ... impure in my dreams...

As they say on Radio 1 (or so I am reliably told by the 'hip and happening' amongst my friendship circle), "Let's not go there."
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

Please don't.

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Please don't what?

Shoot me? Kiss me? Make rissoles for supper?

Can you be a little clearer, I find the lack of clarity most disturbing and upsetting.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Wodders, please read for comprehension. Your ditzlike flitting from topic to potential topic is almost as bad as Pingu's depth plunges. You know what this thread about. Or don't you? [Confused]

--------------------

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I understand that what you want is not a little clearer so much as a little carer. Please be more concise and practically minded in the drawing up of you wish list. (I am offended you are not).

And, dear lilB, I wish to stress that contrary to your assumptions I won't mount tanta, whether marriage's in the offing or not. We haven't been introduced.
Would you however consider invviting her to tea next time I pop in to submit a proposal to you, I might just be persuaded.

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Miss! Miss!
Jacobsen is crossposting!

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Don't be silly, Syllie. I just got there first. In this life you have to accept coming second, or in your case, third, fourth or fifth or nowhere. Let's face it, you've had lots of practice. Get over it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sylvander needs no encouragement to "get over it" - that thought never seems to be far from his puerile mind. I am offended that you so glibly undermine all our hard work to civilize and purify the lad.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I am aghast that a penguin has the gall to suggest that other shipmates may need civilising and purifying! Even if it was Sylvander, and let's face it he needs it more than most, but for a penguin to have the brass neck to point it out is beyond credulity!

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

I am offended that you suggest that my neck is made of brass. I am gold, old man. Pure gold [Big Grin]

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Below the Lansker
Shipmate
# 17297

'Old man'??? So now Wodders is a doddering old codger shuffling about in worn slippers and wheezing his way into church on a rickety old zimmer frame? My outrage is only tempered by the fact that his advanced senescence means that he won't really understand the cruel jibe contained in your post.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I object, you shall hear from my solicitors, Messrs Sue, Grabbit & Runne - I do NOT own worn slippers! They are quite unnecessary in this climate!

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Our National Health Service certainly has its problems and I'm not saying it's perfect but it does take care to ensure that mobility aids provided for the frail and elderly are robust and fit for use. If you have seen WW using a rickety and worn out zimmer frame he did not get it through the approved channels and I would not wish to speculate on his reasons for obtaining such an appliance.

ETA cross-posted with the 'invalid' himself. But I'm leaving it in.

[ 15. September 2012, 11:04: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

BTL - you clearly are commenting about the Weasel without actually knowing him. My accurate description is based on personal knowledge.
Weasel - I am shocked to hear that your slippers are unworn. If you don't wear them, why not give them away to a worthy recipient.
Justlooking - I can find nothing to take offence at in your well reasoned post, except perhaps the arrogance of leaving a cross post in place even though WW had weaselled his way in first.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

Smudgly! You know the Willie Woddel personally? Oh, how could you do this to me? I am swivelling between offended, astounded, hurt, amazéd, envious and jealous! Nay, I better be all three just to make sure.
While only last week you went to great lengths to forget mobiles, fill up in-boxes and waer your magick invisibilty hat for days on end, all to avoid meeting me for an innocent cup of tea in my hotel near Kings Cross, you are apparently quite happy to personally acquaint yourself with gentle old men who barely five posts away confessed to walking about with naked feet!
It is a bit shocking, is it not, now?

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Well, Silly, we all know that you like to wave it in the breeze. Let's not jib at unclothed pedal extremities. Your hypocrisy is repellent, and you obviously can't count.

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hypocrisy is no repellent. I assure you that the midgies bite the unjust as well as the just. Much as it is fitting for the hypocrites to suffer from midgie bites, we need their tourist pounds as much as we need the sincere tourist pounds. We need the hypocrite pounds more, as there are more of them. If the hypocrites come thinking that they need no other repellent they will come away disappointed and we won't get repeat custom.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

I stood on my scales this morning, Dafyd, and there were definitely more hypocrite pounds than I needed. Out, out damned hypocrites! I do NOT weigh that much!

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Oh no, not Shakespeare, bowdlerised! Bean, how could you! Lower and lower sinketh the standard....The grass withereth....

I am rapidly losing the will to live.

--------------------

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So bowdlerising St. James, Keats, the Psalms Isaiah and the Book of Common Prayer is all right, is it? Good grief! Pass me the hemlock!

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pimple! There are philosophers who read this thread! Please refrain from making hemlock references—they/we are still just a bit sore about that late unpleasantness.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Ariston,

I post to quiet your fear. It is only the great thinkers who are considered dangerous enough to be forced into those circumstances.
You are safe. Very, very safe.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
you have to accept coming second,

I understand this is what gentlemen do ... I am glad to say that nobody so far complained.

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
or in your case, third, fourth or fifth

[Hot and Hormonal] Much as I appreciate your attempt at lionisation, let me remind you that the art of flattery, dearest, lies in finding just the right, not the greatest possible measure of exaggeration. Come round for a cup of cocoa and I'll teach you.

But more importantly, lilB, what is all this talk of hemlock and soaring philosophers? I don't get any of it, but it sounds like offensive and inane babbling, so please stop it.
And if there is another great thinker on this ship, I am mighty offended that we haven't been introduced to each other yet. Bring her round for a cup of hot chocolate, please.

[Now, if only the rest of your errors could be fixed as easily as your bad code . . .
-Ariston]

[ 16. September 2012, 13:55: Message edited by: Ariston ]

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's right - the kind of prejudicial bulls' faeces that imposes silence on a good slice of extroverted fear. Let it rip, I say. S.C.R.E.A.M. ... some artists make a lot of publicity (if not much money, though subsequent owners have) out of a good extroverted, manic and cathartic scream.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh come on ... how did no fewer than many* posts pop up when I thought I was responding to the last one. Bugger youse'all, I say, becuase youse'all are offensive. Where did youse'all pop up from, anyway? Huh?

* or at least one ... but that stretches my maths to the limit

[ 16. September 2012, 07:14: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Spelling, young (wo)man, spelling! We, the great antiquated, are allowed our senior moments. You sir, or madam, have not yet earned them. Mind your manners, child!

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

oh aged Pimple, three quarter centuried as you may be, knock it off. Pompous, or what? You may have learned your spelling in the glory days of Tom Brown, but things 'as changed since them days, me old china. I won't say grow up, as growing any older might push you off the edge, but do calm down.

Lovingly, j. [Axe murder]

(Pure passive aggression - I'm really extremely offended.)

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Young? Woman?! Zappa is neither, as someone who has been here as long as you should know. He is I believe, by his own admission, more than qualified to have such moments. There are trees who once shaded under him. He gave violin lessons to Nero! He is co-inventor of the wheel. Well, a version. His was square and did not catch on, but he was first. He officiated the burial of the Red Lady, and taught art in Australia.
There, Zappa, I have defended your honour.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

lilBuddha, are you seriously suggesting that Zappa had anything to do with that chap's testimonials? I am shocked! So to malign the gentle, innocent Zappa, fluffy bunny personified, who sheds tears over rebuking the most hardened of shippies. Oh, lilB, I wonder at you, indeed I do. [Eek!]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

How dare you use a euphemism like testimonials in such a manner on a family board - we know there was no innocent intent there so don't try to pretend!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  36  37  38  39  40  41 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016