homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Taking offence where none was intended... (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  39  40  41 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Taking offence where none was intended...
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm offended that you only mention voles in your post, what about consonants?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I was initially offended by the bad pun, however I have reconsidered. That was a fairly decent effort, considering the resources you are working with.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How dare you mention Wodder's resources! Who made you the resource sheriff of the universe? Just because his are widely known to be minuscule, doesn't give you leave to shout it out for all to hear. (Or see, in this case.)
Hmmph.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
He's not a sheriff, but you're not a police person, so don't go telling folk what they can and can't shout about. You know what you can do with that light sabre of yours.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What gives you the right to criticise wielders of light sabres? Where would we be without them, I would like to know!

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There's little that's more offensive than someone assuming that just because they need a light sabre, we all do.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think we would have understood your emphasis perfectly well even if you hadn't decided to patronise us by using italics.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Italics do more than create emphasis, they help delineate patterns of speech. They add character as well. Ooops, think I identified your problem.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's all we need, a wannabe Shakespearian actor thinking that if they put the emphasis in bizarre places, it suddenly becomes all meaningful.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They didn't seem bizarre to me. Have you got a thing about actors? If you just have to quibble, you could have complained about the dreadful misspelling of "oops".

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And what's so dreadful about Miss Pelling? Do you have any reason to be so offhandishly prejudiced against her? She may not conform to your standards of right and wrong but everybody has her merits. She for instance may well be lewd and lascivious. Which makes me even more offended that you have not introduced her to me yet. She may be shy and hence hesitant to talk to strangers.
Kindly hasten to mend that oversight.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What makes you think that Miss Pelling wants to be introduced to you? Perhaps she already has a full and interesting life among her friends and neighbours in Oops. Even is she hasn't, even if she's bored to tears with the goings on of Oops' folk, it doesn't mean she'd welcome an introduction to any old letch.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having met Sylvander, I can assure you that he isn't just 'any old letch'. However, discretion does not permit me to elaborate further...
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm offended that you haven't been explicit about being offended - are the instructions too complicated for you, perhaps?

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could you not tell that I was offended by justlooking referring to Sylvander as 'any old letch'? And that it was in fact such an offensive description that I was unable to say more?

And is now doubly offensive that you required me to spell it out explicitly. (And the concept of explicit letching is offensive enough in its own right [Eek!] )

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So people are supposed to know what you think when you type .... ? Is that arrogance or egotism? Or what?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You can use .... or **** or whatever you like. It doesn't make it any better. It's still foul language.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
no it isn't Dafyd - to the pure all things are pure, including ellipses and asterisks. It's your dirty mind that is filling in the blanks here.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

And what, pray, is wrong with having a dirty mind? I think a dirty mind can be a great comfort, particularly when getting on a bit.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did the world really need to know that? What the hell is that, a subtle advertisement for lanolin-based hand lotion?

Jeez, Wod, just seeing your name in the recent visitors list is offending me right now. Get out of my sight before I smack you out.

[ 14. April 2012, 04:34: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Here is a perfect example of a Bunny [remember Hefner, anyone?] as a neophyte Phelpsian demanding that everyone adhere to her rather bizarre moral code - and she didn't even off to use a riding crop!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Knock off the naughty talk, like a couple of preteens you are. Not even doing it well. Besides, you'll cause Sylvander apoplexy.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You should be ashamed of yourself, setting standards beyond what poor Kelly and Weasel are able to achieve. Just because they are chronologically far far far beyond being pre-teens does not mean that their level of maturity has kept apace. We should not reprimand them, we should show them true Christian pity and help them make the tiny tiny steps which will slowly but surely bring them to a level of social acceptability, thus keeping Sylvander safe, not by apportioning blame, but by reducing risk.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

Oh yes, it's all about reducing risk now. We can't type a post without Health and Safety all over it. Why can't we decide to take some chances now and then? Live a little?

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

Oh, I am so sick of people bemoaning the Health and Safety culture. Do you want to live in a world in which children still gather fluff from under weaving machines? Do you - huh?

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Those of us from dark-satanic-millshire know what you're on about QLib but most folks around here haven't a clue. They know it's grim up north but they don't know why. You're talking a foreign language.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm offended that you would form your own little coterie of misery based on your place of origin. Hello? We all speak English here, and a few words of explanation on most subjects- particularly subjects such as industrial history would keep us all involved. But, noooo, the rest of us couldn't possibly understand. Pah!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

Littlecoterie of misery!. There's nothing little about it. Not the coterie. Not the misery. We don't faff around putting a brave face on things, being all chipper and chirpy like some we could mention. Oh no! We embrace misery. We wallow in it. Why do you think people still go to Morecambe?
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Don't you diss Morecambe - it is a very exciting place - particularly on Thursday when the traffic lights change!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Yes, I can picture you sitting in the garden, waiting for the light to change. Yelling "Get off my lawn!" at the neighbor children. Ah, the joys of dotage, erm, old age, I mean being experienced. Very, very experienced.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All this talk of an English seaside resort, and you have to spell "neighbour" the American way. It's just wrong.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How very non-U to mention our colonial cousins' non-U-ness

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

The shame of it! Polite people would have ignored this. Intelligent people would have deduced that my iPad has an American dictionary* and is constantly fighting me. Oh, my bad, I just realized who I was addressing.

*The perils of reconditioned goods.

[ 14. April 2012, 17:36: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, how did I know that this was going to turn into some stupid pond war. And Guess Who started it.

Look, two hundred and thirty two years is a hell of a long time to be crying over spilled milk, and as far as I can tell, the sun has been setting on Your Majesty's realms for a hell of a long time, so when y'all perform the historical equivalent of downing shots of Grey Goose and weeping over your junior prom pictures, it's kind of pathetic. Not so much offensive as really, really pathetic.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but real love is tough love. [Votive]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I find your cultural imperialism frankly offensive. We didn't have junior proms over here until about 15 years ago, when the arrival of multi-channel TV brought an attendant tsunami of schmaltzy US teenybop sitcoms. Since then, our kids have been nagging to be allowed to get all dressed up for an evening of life-blighting emotional trauma too.

I expect you'll be commanding us to get all dewy-eyed about trick-or-treating next? This used to be a harmless evening of unconditional vandalism called 'Mischief Night' until the the world's leading free-market capitalist hegemony gave victims the chance to buy their way out of trouble and the young perps a learning exercise in socially sanctified extortion.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

"I expect you'll be commanding us to get all dewy-eyed about trick-or-treating next? This used to be a harmless evening of unconditional vandalism called 'Mischief Night' until the the world's leading free-market capitalist....

No! How can you be so wrong [Disappointed] ? Don't you know your own heritage?

Mischief Night is the night before Bonfire Night and commemorates the mischief of Guy Fawkes and the other plotters. The 'Trick or Treat' carry-on is what Amercians have made of Halloween. Mischief Night doesn't involve extortion, it's just unbridled vandalism pure and simple.

[ 14. April 2012, 18:59: Message edited by: justlooking ]

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I suppose it's way too late in history to get all Lynne Truss-ish and be offended at 'Halloween' when it ought to be 'Hallowe'en'. But, what the hell.

[ 14. April 2012, 20:47: Message edited by: Bean Sidhe ]

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bean Sidhe:
I suppose it's way too late in history to get all Lynne Truss-ish and be offended at 'Halloween' when it ought to be 'Hallowe'en'. But, what the hell.

I'm offended at your name. I don't know enough Irish to know if you're being witty or what and that disturbs me. Bean Sidhe... hmmm... are you a Bean? Faery Bean or Human Bean?! Really, what are you?

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, don't get her started.

And by the way, Miz Siddy, I know where to put a stinking apostrophe, thank you very much.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

I'm offended that you sided with Patio against the Bean. And evidently you aren't all that sound on the subject of apostrophe's - odoriferous or otherwise.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Nice. Now please explain to me where the phrase "apostrophe is" fits in the above sentence.

[ 14. April 2012, 22:03: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

You've missed out the possessive use - what could be belonging to the apostrophe?
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

You think you're so damn smart.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

No, darling, you've [that's you have to you] got it completely wrong - I KNOW I'm smart!

[Big Grin]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Well, lah de freakin' dee dah dah-- I guess everyone has the right to be COMPLETELY WRONG.

I only wish you didn't see fit to exercise that right so often. It get very tiresome for the rest of us.

[ 15. April 2012, 06:14: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Fit? Exercise?
How could you use such foul language on a Christian Website? And on a Sunday too, which every Godfearing person knows is a day of rest.
Shame on you, Alves. Shame on you.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

How dare you impose your so-called 'Godfearing' nonsense on the rest of us sane, well-balanced human beings?

Anyway, Sunday is First Day - so it's Saturday that's the day of rest.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I resent your implication that I am sane and God-fearing?. How do you know my mental and spiritual state? Or presume to know, and judge likewise? Surely this is just between me, Good and my pyschiatrist?

[ 15. April 2012, 10:27: Message edited by: Rowen ]

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

The use of 'judge' in a derogatory sense is discriminatory against senior legal professionals and members of the bench. Please consider using 'negatively assess'.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Here's a book for you, Dafyd. And can I just say I am surprised and appalled that you would advocate the dumbing-down of our fine language.

And yeah, you heard me, I said OUR.

[ 15. April 2012, 15:38: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  39  40  41 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016