homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Taking offence where none was intended... (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  39  40  41 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Taking offence where none was intended...
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bunny, I'm offended that you should even think of thinking - c'mon now, you know that that isn't your strength - but then, what is?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Weasel, I am shocked that you talk in such a way, demeaning our beloved wabbit and suggesting there is nothing strong about her. She may not look strong but she certainly smells it.. Is that what I meant to say?

Regardless, please show dear Kelly a little more respect. Were you never raised to respect your elders and betters?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Before talking about wabbits could we pause to think of people who aren't familiar with Looney Toons and will be excluded by such in-jokes?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now I am offended.

How do you know that I didn't pause for thought before decisively choosing to make a comment about wabbits, regardless of the sensitivities of those who misspent their youth ignoring the influence of Elmer Fudd? Look at the time difference between the two posts. I spent plenty of time pausing for thought, thank you very much. Unlike some people I could mention who dash in to take random offense with no thought at all other than beating others to it.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah Smudgie, I am disappointed. Not only are you calling for violence, you are championing a heightest cartoon. We of normal stature should not encourage the oversized. I thought better of you than this. Not much better, but.....

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am muchly offended that you force me to point out the obvious, dear:
There is nothing to suggest "normal" and "we" go together in your mouth. If in doubt, please feel free to borrow my pocket mirror: You have no hair. Christian mercy (yes, tiaCw) forbids me to say more.

[PS: Someone referring to my place of abode floated the idea of a Titanic meet, but I forgot who it was. Please apply within and disclothe your identity. Thank you.]

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why diss the previous shipmate's hair?
Good looks are subjective... And people can't help not looking as good as the rest of us!

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

So, all the snide comments that people round here make about my head plumage and nothing. lilbuddha's bald top gets mentioned once and you come rushing to the defence. Talk about favouritism!

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, cry me a river, Bird, all Iv'e been hearing is bunny bunny bunny since the thread started. You included, sweets.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

Cry you a river?
Don't you know there's a drought in this country?
If I could cry a river, I would - it would be my Christian Duty and a Very Good Thing. It'd mean I could stop sharing my bath water with the entire street and could use a hosepipe to wash the Smudgemobie rather than simply spitting on it and rubbing with my hanky.
So it is downright cruel and offensive of you to suggest that such a thing might be within my capabilities - with the implied insult that I am too mean with my tears to do so.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Clearly you have a hard heart.... Us more compassionate folk find it easier and lovelier to cry... We acknowledge the pain of the world.... But not you perhaps? You just can''t cry....

--------------------

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It offends me that you demand "rivers of tears" from our dear penguin, an unreasonable demand btw, while your own copious tears are likely of the crocodile variety.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are we supposed not to notice that crocodiles, unlike penguins, are found in North Africa, and therefore negative references to crocodiles are clearly jabs at the Arab Spring and the democracy movement there? Are we supposed to let this subtle propaganda for dictatorship pass uncommented upon?

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes. There is such a thing as over-reading and I find it offensive that you use such a feeble excuse to ride your favourite hobby horse all over this thread.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have never seen Dafyd's hobby horse, but apparently you have. I happen to be rather partial to them. What colour is it? Does it have a fluffy mane and sparkling glass eyes? How dare you imply he should stop riding it when some of us haven't caught a glimpse yet.

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

I think it is bad form for the shipmate to own a horse. They should be allowed, instead, to roam free and happy across the valleys, mountains and plains, instead of being cooped up in pens and suchlike.
How cruel.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Roam free?!? Roam free? Such anarchistic sentiments may prevail in the dis-utopian horror where you live, but in civilized society we understand that certain restraints are necessary for the common good.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So Hedge--while you are rambling on about dis-utopia, you should have been offended, as I was, by Rowan's poor use of the English language. It's clear from his words that he wants the shipmates to roam free, he doesn't give a damn about the horses!

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Not sure you lot are safe roaming free, unsupervised. As is amply demonstrated by your posts.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are you calling my fellow Lutheran a horse, sunshine? Smile when you say that.

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

I would never call any of you a horse.* Insult to equines it would be.

*Perhaps you are merely used to a similar sounding word.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Again the insult is about me being a slut. I guess you have no problem portraying yourself as a sexist jerk; one would think you would have enough pride not to be a stereotypical sexist jerk.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Hoarse dear Kelly, hoarse. [Disappointed]
I am sure you are as pure as the driven snow. Perhaps even by choice.

BTW, I am not typical, either in stereo or mono.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Genevičve   Email Genevičve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You say that as if it something to be proud of, lil bud. I'm offended by such casual arrogance.

[ 23. April 2012, 05:23: Message edited by: Genevičve ]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm not at all sure that not wishing to be typical is necessarily arrogant - granted it probably is in the case of lilpestilence. I have no particular wish to be typical either and yet I am a perfectly humble man.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Sorry, WW, not sure if it counts as humility if you've nothing of which to be proud.

I am offended by your comment, Genevičve. My arrogance is not casual.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Be compassionate, you two, somebody is working out their Madonna/ Whore complex. And in front of all of us, too. Think of the trust that takes.

{ETA: Can't you give it a rest for five seconds?]

[ 23. April 2012, 06:05: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Give what a rest? I am unclear what you mean here - are you unable to write clear and correct English? Even clear and correct American would help.

--------------------

Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wodders, your equation of clear with correct English is offensively facile. The clearest English is not necessarily correct.

Ask any writer. For example - how would you indicate, in writing, an upward inflection at the end of a spoken statement? Most effectively, and clearly, with a grammatically-incorrect question mark or query as in: 'He was so weird?'

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Beanie, how dare you encourage the populace at random to pester hard-working writers with such silly questions? The muse is a fleeting thing and easily lost by distractions such as you propose.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bean didn't specify only the hard-working writers, she included all the bone-idle ones too. They welcome such distractions, they call them 'research'. Bean was being generous and inclusive and you've gone and spoiled it now.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Genevičve   Email Genevičve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Justlooking, you are coming across like the kid who goes, "Waaa, you've spoiled everything!" This is an adult forum, if you need reminding.

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And we all know what you mean by 'adult'. There's way too much of that sort of thing.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

What's wrong with Thing? I'm appalled by this disgusting prejudice against disembodied hands.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

How very one-sided is your indignation!
No mentioned whatsoever, I notice, of disenhanded bodies. And as a body with a rather noticeable lack of hands, or even fingers, for that matter, I take umbrage at your neglect of my plight.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How I wish that hands and fingers were to cover the full extent of your shortcomings! I'll forgo the opportunity to mention the others, some for reasons of Christian mercy and the rest because of male chivalry.
I do wonder, though, seeing you have no hands what you'd do with umbrage in the unlikely event that you'd manage to grab some.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

How offensive that you extend Christian mercy to only some of Smudgie's shortcomings. Christian mercy embraces all. Male chivalry, as perhaps your post concedes but if not, I have to tell you, is applied somewhat patchily. Typically to someone more alluring to the masculine eye than a penguin.

--------------------
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Even a penguin has a right to respect and privacy, instead of being forced into a starring role in a forum like this.
For shame, outing penguins thusly!

--------------------

Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

I would imagine penguins would prefer to be out, rather than confined, as I have seen them, in small zoo areas with teensy pools.
Have you no care for God's creatures, rowen?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

God's creatures? What about the rest of us? [Disappointed]
Not surprising, but offensive none the less.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

And, what, pray, if we don't believe in God.
Whilst I may be clergy, I worry about many others here, whom you have just disenfranchised, with your God talk.

--------------------

uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Disembodied? Disenhanded? Disenfranchised? This is getting so boringly dull I'm getting disenchanted!

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

You do realize you just dissed everybody here. That's impressive, as far as breadth and scope.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

Common slang, like "dissed" is welllll... Plainly common.
We should all try to use better words and phrases- and our language has many beautiful examples.
Unless of course, one is unable too, due to one's problems...

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I think, my dear friend, that we have had enough of your problems recently - have you thought of writing to Cosmopolitan about them? Or how about seeing a therapist? You might find one that will take you on pro-bono as a research study into the bizarre.

--------------------

uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

quote:
That's impressive, as far as breadth and scope.
I'm offended, Kelly, that you would discuss my halitosis problems without asking my permission.
Scope, indeed! I'm a Listerine man, myself!

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
uffda, surely you're not ignoring wodders contribution immediately above your post are you? That's most offensive.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

As are you in butting in between uffda and I - we have an arrangement whereby I completely ignore her/him and s/he completely ignores me.

It suits us both.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please keep your suggestive butt to yourself, Wodders.

[ 25. April 2012, 16:33: Message edited by: Banner Lady ]

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
We'll have none of that filthy talk about suggestive butts here, thank you very much. This is a decent thread.

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  39  40  41 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016