homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: A 2012 US election thread (Page 42)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  71  72  73 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: A 2012 US election thread
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Kel--

Yes, re loans!!! And I could see lots of people in the audience identifying with different parts of the speech--to the point of tears.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
As for the First Lady, yes, she was passionate in her praise for her husband, but what got me was the ways she made connections between their story and that of many of us right now. (I really could relate when she was talking about student loans:"We were so in love and so in debt...)

So I guess they couldn't sell off their inherited stocks to make ends meet...

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could drain my retirement account right now and pay off a huge chunk of my student loan debt (it's not like it's making any money in this market), but the tax penalty would be higher than the interest that I pay on the loans. So "poor" may have been a stretch, but I won't begrudge them for that choice.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
IconiumBound
Shipmate
# 754

- Posted      Profile for IconiumBound   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Michelle Obama's speech was well written and very well delivered. I was impressed that by going into the anecdotal details of her and Barack's family she was demonstrating why Mitt Romney was from another sort of life, the inherited rich.
Posts: 1318 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So we all belong to the government now? How outrageous! I'd always thought the government belonged to us.
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New Yorker, I think you're misinterpreting the word "belong". In this case, it doesn't indicate ownership, but rather, something more akin to membership.
Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And it exposes another key GOP myth-- one that dates back at least to Reagan's "starve the beast" rhetoric. The GOP speaks about government as if it were some entity outside of us-- some malevolent "other" bent on consuming our hopes & dreams. The DNC stresses that the government is us, it is community, it is people joining together for common cause.

The irony, of course, is that in a very real way "the government is us" rhetoric is more true of the GOP-- made up of wealthy billionaires who are able to buy and sell congressional rep-- than it is of the DNC.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's the problem and the divide: we conservatives say that the government has grown so out of control that it no longer is us. The left applauds that government growth and wants more.
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
And it exposes another key GOP myth-- one that dates back at least to Reagan's "starve the beast" rhetoric. The GOP speaks about government as if it were some entity outside of us-- some malevolent "other" bent on consuming our hopes & dreams. The DNC stresses that the government is us, it is community, it is people joining together for common cause.

The irony, of course, is that in a very real way "the government is us" rhetoric is more true of the GOP-- made up of wealthy billionaires who are able to buy and sell congressional rep-- than it is of the DNC.

So is the government us or the other? It sounded like you were going for "us" in your first paragraph, but then in your second paragraph you ended up going back and deciding that it was "the other."

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
That's the problem and the divide: we conservatives say that the government has grown so out of control that it no longer is us.

Someone should have told the Republican presidents. Hoover, Eisenhower, Nixon, Ford, Reagan, Bush I and Bush II all increased federal spending.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

So is the government us or the other? It sounded like you were going for "us" in your first paragraph, but then in your second paragraph you ended up going back and deciding that it was "the other."
yes, exactly.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The "out-of-control" refers only to those periods when the government is out of Republican control; i.e., in the control of Democrats.

Only Republicans and the rich possess the know-how to spend money on the correct priorities. Democrats waste money on people and programs which fail to produce profits.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
That's the problem and the divide: we conservatives say that the government has grown so out of control that it no longer is us. The left applauds that government growth and wants more.

A significant counterexample, of course, would be to compare the percentage of children attending government schools in the good old 1950s with the percentage today. I don't find this development particularly regrettable, but must admit that (1) the government dominated children's education in those days and (2) it seemed to be working. I came out of the system well enough. You can well observe, of course, that in those days the common schools were more a local-government responsibility in the U.S. than they are now, but it was government.

As for the convention in Charlotte-- wow, just wow. It is probably true that national political conventions have become a carefully packaged product for media and public consumption, and we should bear this in mind. But on that basis, what has been placed before us? The contrasts are breathtaking. If this convention reflects the thinking and spirit of Obama, I like what I see and hear. There is no question in my mind which crowd, this or the one in Tampa, is more like that of heaven. One is dominated by white people moved by anger, rugged individualism, and greed. The other is a cosmopolitan rainbow appealing to community and caring. I recall how the country looked and felt in my youth. Who are the real conservatives?

[ 05. September 2012, 18:09: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The decrease of the percent of seniors in poverty before and after Social Security and Medicare (and other programs) also is hardly to be lamented, unless one has both a misanthropic hatred of government spending no matter what, and an impossibly bleary-eyed belief that the private sector would have done the same.

[ 05. September 2012, 18:11: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I could drain my retirement account right now and pay off a huge chunk of my student loan debt (it's not like it's making any money in this market), but the tax penalty would be higher than the interest that I pay on the loans. So "poor" may have been a stretch, but I won't begrudge them for that choice.

.. and then you wouldn't have a retirement account.

Yeah, some people just don't get it, and seem to be content to never get it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

To the extent that the government is "no longer us" it's because it's very close to becoming a wholly-owned subsidiary of the corporate establishment, as a result of the right-wing economic policies of the past 30 years. The left wants to take it back and bring the corporations to heel.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
quote:

To the extent that the government is "no longer us" it's because it's very close to becoming a wholly-owned subsidiary of the corporate establishment, as a result of the right-wing economic policies of the past 30 years. The left wants to take it back and bring the corporations to heel.
This.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

If you don't mind me asking, is that Stafford, PLUS, what?
Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

Mostly Staffords. My highest interest rate at this point is between 5 and 6%. For now, I get to deduct a portion of that interest from my taxes, which is helpful. I suppose that I could calculate the total interest I will pay over the next six years, less tax savings and returns on IRA investments, and see if that number is larger or smaller than the tax penalty for an early withdrawal, but given that Medicare and Social Security will not be what they used to be when I get to retirement age, it just makes sense to live frugally for another six years and leave my retirement savings in place. To bring it back to my original comment, I don't begrudge any politician for making intelligent personal financial decisions.

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Mostly Staffords. My highest interest rate at this point is between 5 and 6%. For now, I get to deduct a portion of that interest from my taxes, which is helpful. I suppose that I could calculate the total interest I will pay over the next six years, less tax savings and returns on IRA investments, and see if that number is larger or smaller than the tax penalty for an early withdrawal, but given that Medicare and Social Security will not be what they used to be when I get to retirement age, it just makes sense to live frugally for another six years and leave my retirement savings in place.

At 5-6%, some deductible, you're fine.

quote:
To bring it back to my original comment, I don't begrudge any politician for making intelligent personal financial decisions.
I don't either. If you are talking about Romney's 1040, I don't care what's on it. The issue isn't what Romney did with his money but what the federal government is doing with ours.
Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Democrats waste money on people and programs which fail to produce profits.
Oh I wholeheartedly disagree. Look at the auto bailout. Saved the whole industry, and every nickle has been paid back ahead of time--from profits.

The banking industry has also been saved (though this was originally started by Bush, it continued under Obama). Again most of the money has been paid back, not all, but most.

The federal funding of our education system has definitely produced companies and profits.

Just to name three examples of how democratic programs have created profits.

[ 05. September 2012, 21:07: Message edited by: Gramps49 ]

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
PataLeBon
Shipmate
# 5452

- Posted      Profile for PataLeBon   Email PataLeBon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
New Yorker - my problem is this...

The government is "us". It is people like me who work for it. It is clerks, police officers, firemen, EMTs, custodians, teachers, etc. who draw a paycheck and are employed because of the government.

The GOP wishes us to be unemployed. Somehow, putting us out of work will make the unemployment numbers go down. Huh??

The reason why we are over 8% unemployment? Because of the loss of government jobs at all levels. The private sector is hiring. The public sector is laying off. I don't see that changing, but accelerating under the GOP. More of us will become unemployed, we won't have a paycheck, and we won't spend money, which means that we won't fund the private sector to expand.

Either that or the GOP believes we will all go up in smoke when we are laid off...

--------------------
That's between you and your god. Oh, wait a minute. You are your god. That's a problem. - Jack O'Neill (Stargate SG1)

Posts: 1907 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
Oh I wholeheartedly disagree. Look at the auto bailout.

Sure.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

National Review?

[Killing me]

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Sure.
Please use non editorials to provide evidence for your point. If the article is not an editorial please use articles that are not written with out right bias.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Time to go out a bit further on the prediction limb: R/R by 7% of the popular vote, very impressive indeed but still no where near Reagan's 19% margin over Mondale.

If you'll continue to humour me... will Obama's impending defeat negatively affect the perception of 'blacks' in the US?

Personally I think not as we clearly demonstrated our lack of racism in 2008 [Votive] and people generally are shrewd enough to know statist ineptitude has nothing to do with skin pigment.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When you lose, what exactly is going to be your humble pie, moron?

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I go to a job every day where the bulk of my duties involves making sure children who are poor enough to qualify for Medicaid get all the medical care they need.

Other kids as well -- we have a few relatively well-to-do patients, their parents pay cash; and we have a few hundred patients with private insurance or private backed by Medicaid as secondary. But, on a busy, fully-booked day, when all the physicians are working, 300 patients cross my threshold, and most of them use Medicaid.

We get paid only a few cents on the dollar of what the services are really worth. And my fingers are all in the billing and claims and denials and corrections, so I'd know if there was anything fraudulent on my side of the desk.

So, my individual clinic surely isn't getting rich off gubbmint money. However, multiply us by how many thousand similar clinics all over the country?

What could be saved if the patients had caps on the numbers of visits allowed in a year? (Boy, have I seen some abuses there.) What could be saved if redundant services were eliminated/combined? What could be saved if fraud and misuse and abuse of the system could be clamped down upon? Just little things, like sending the bill to the parent instead of to Medicaid, when s/he carries Little Bob into ER three times a month for unimportant stuff, rather than going to the primary physician.

I see a lot more fiscal responsibility happening and likely to happen under GOP leadership than under the Dems, at my local/state level. What I see before my eyes daily informs my voting.

I'm still likely to vote for a third party candidate over Romney, though. GOP PsTB puppet.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:

What could be saved if fraud and misuse and abuse of the system could be clamped down upon? Just little things, like sending the bill to the parent instead of to Medicaid, when s/he carries Little Bob into ER three times a month for unimportant stuff, rather than going to the primary physician.

I see a lot more fiscal responsibility happening and likely to happen under GOP leadership than under the Dems, at my local/state level. What I see before my eyes daily informs my voting.

I appreciate your work, and the special perspective that gives you on this issue. But isn't the reason mom/dad are bringing Little Bob to the ER because they don't have insurance to pay for a "primary physician" (as if they had one) visit? Of course it's ludicrous to go to the ER when a physician's visit would do. That's why we need health care reform.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What Cliffdweller said.

Janine, I'm on Medicaid (Medi-Cal, here) and Medicare. If I didn't have both, I probably wouldn't have health care--many doctors won't take you unless you have both. Some won't take you even then.

I know that health care providers (HCPs) are paid very little by Medicaid; it's hard to get paid by Medicaid at all; and the pay keeps getting cut.

I've also had occasion to explain to HCPs that as hard as it is for them, Medicaid is even harder for patients to deal with. The system doesn't want to help people. It often tries hard not to pay for care. Getting through to a live person for help with a claim can be very hard, and you may need Legal Aid's help to get their attention. (And, IME, that DOES get their attention. You may still have to do some of your own fighting, but at least the door will be open.) Then there's the matter of cuts to Medicaid benefits: e.g., for the last several years, adults on Medi-Cal/Medicaid have only been able to get tooth extractions. All other dental care was dropped.

HCPs don't always know/realize this.

And, in California, anyway, some people who make a little more money can get on Medi-Cal/Medicaid by paying a monthly fee, depending on their income. So HCPs may encounter Medicaid users who don't seem like they'd qualify, who don't look quite as poor...and the HCPs may jump to the wrong conclusion.

There was a long stretch of time when I didn't have any health coverage. I didn't go to the ER for basic treatment--I just did without. But I don't have kids. From what I understand, parents of small kids run the gamut from panicking over every sniffle to not bothering to seek care for anything--no matter what their income and insurance coverage. Maybe the patients you've mentioned are just trying to take care of their kids???

Maybe the clinic could set up a free workshop on "what to do when your kid is sick" so they have some idea of when to go to the ER and when to the clinic??

YMMV.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's really tough though because of liability issues. We have so-called services of that sort in this major city, and without fail they tell you to bring the kid in. They dare not express any other opinion for fear of being sued, and we have plenty of predatory lawyers who market themselves very aggressively to the poorest and / most clueless. It isn't the threat of losing a case--simply being dragged into court for any baseless claim is enough to make such agencies fold due to legal costs. And no, there is freaking NO bloody legal aid available to anybody under any circumstances I've encountered in the past fifteen years. Let alone a nonprofit agency.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:

If you'll continue to humour me... will Obama's impending defeat negatively affect the perception of 'blacks' in the US?

Personally I think not as we clearly demonstrated our lack of racism in 2008 [Votive]

Please clarify the meaning you attach to the words "we" and "our".
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post 
Janine,

As I understand it, Medicaid, though funded mostly by the federal government, is administered by the states. Doesn't that mean that reducing fraud, abuse, and inefficiency would be the job of your governor primarily?

Also, what makes you think that, aside from all their rhetoric and bluster, Republicans are more fiscally responsible than are Democrats. I don't think that happens to be true at all on the national level, GW Bush being a prime example of gross fiscal irresponsibility.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3490

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

CorgiGreta--

I think perhaps moron is referring to the idea that electing Obama = post-race US.

It's not true, but some people hold it.

--------------------

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Obama's election shows that bias against blacks is sufficiently low among enough people to get a black man elected, but it doesn't say anything about the level of bias in those who didn't vote for him.

It's ridiculous for someone who didn't support Obama to appropriate his election as evidence that "we clearly demonstrated our lack of racism".

Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.:
Obama's election shows that bias against blacks is sufficiently low among enough people to get a black man elected, but it doesn't say anything about the level of bias in those who didn't vote for him.

Moreover, it doesn't say anything, one way or the other, about those that didn't vote, which is almost half the elctorate. My impression was that the Barack Obama/Hillary Clinton ticket mobilised young, black and women voters like never before. If Obama loses in November it will be because those who voted for the first time in 2008 will stay at home.

[ 06. September 2012, 11:48: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... the Barack Obama/Hillary Clinton ticket ...

[Confused]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
... the Barack Obama/Hillary Clinton ticket ...

[Confused]
There. See how forgettable Joe Biden is?

(I posted in a hurry, as per usual. Hillary is in a far higher profile job though.)

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... I see a lot more fiscal responsibility happening and likely to happen under GOP leadership than under the Dems, at my local/state level. What I see before my eyes daily informs my voting. ...

That may be true at your local and state level, but not at the federal level. Both US and Canadian conservative governments (Republicans and Harper's CRAP) have been far more profligate than their opponents over the last 30 years.

The reason Romney keeps comparing the current US situation to the sitch in 1980 is because that way, he can skip over the Reagan-Bush-Bush administrations that spent money and reduced revenues like drunken sailors. Our Liberal federal govenment was running SURPLUSES before Harper came into office. Bill Clinton did a better job with the federal budget than any of his contemporary Republican counterparts.

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by rugasaw:
quote:
quote:

Sure.
Please use non editorials to provide evidence for your point. If the article is not an editorial please use articles that are not written with out right bias.
Here is Factcheck's take on the claim. Gramps suggested that "Every nickel has been paid back ahead of time." This is clearly false. Here is the Treasury Department's math from the end of July.

--------------------

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Janine, what was different at that medical office when Bush was president? And have the Republicans proposed making any of the changes you think should be made?
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
My personal theory is that he pulled a time out of thin air that sounded reasonable to him ...

I was right!

quote:
"I hurt my back when I was in my mid-20s, so I had to stop running. And so obviously, my perception of races and times was off,” Ryan said. “I thought that was an ordinary time until my brother showed me a 3-hour marathon is, you know, very -- crazy fast. I ran a 4-hour marathon."
If only all my personal theories turned out like this!
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Democrats waste money on people and programs which fail to produce profits.
Oh I wholeheartedly disagree.
Given that the comment was sarcastically intended, so do I.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sure.
Here is Factcheck's take on the claim. Gramps suggested that "Every nickel has been paid back ahead of time." This is clearly false. Here is the Treasury Department's math from the end of July.
I guess he should have said look at the bank bail out (not including AIG). We have gotten over half of what was put into the auto industry back. Given the republican view that we were not ever going to get any money back from TARP I would think you would be overjoyed by the amount of repayment.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
quote:
... I see a lot more fiscal responsibility happening and likely to happen under GOP leadership than under the Dems, at my local/state level. What I see before my eyes daily informs my voting. ...

That may be true at your local and state level, but not at the federal level. Both US and Canadian conservative governments (Republicans and Harper's CRAP) have been far more profligate than their opponents over the last 30 years.

The reason Romney keeps comparing the current US situation to the sitch in 1980 is because that way, he can skip over the Reagan-Bush-Bush administrations that spent money and reduced revenues like drunken sailors. Our Liberal federal govenment was running SURPLUSES before Harper came into office. Bill Clinton did a better job with the federal budget than any of his contemporary Republican counterparts.

It might be interesting to note that the most successful budget-runner in Canadian history was Tommy Douglas, the socialist premier of Saskatchewan, who managed to run 13 consecutive budget surpluses, while paving the highways and building rural hospitals and introducing the idea of single-payer helath care, all in a then-impoverished Prairie province.

Oh, and he was a Baptist preacher, not just a movie actor, community organiser or Mormon ex-missionary.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That was Tommy Douglas and Clarence Fines who had a run-in with Saskatchewan's major bondholders, who got cold feet over this scary new Socialist when the CCF was elected in 1944.

Douglas and Fines agreed to pay off the bond holders if they didn't cause a run on Saskatchewan's bonds; it also had the happy effect of preventing the bond holders from getting in the way of the CCF's policies.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
I guess he should have said look at the bank bail out (not including AIG). We have gotten over half of what was put into the auto industry back. Given the republican view that we were not ever going to get any money back from TARP I would think you would be overjoyed by the amount of repayment.

Next time I'm looking for a loan, I'm looking for you. What's 37 billion dollars between friends, right? The point is, this line about getting every nickel back from profits is a lie.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

quote:
Next time I'm looking for a loan, I'm looking for you. What's 37 billion dollars between friends, right? The point is, this line about getting every nickel back from profits is a lie.

Well that is your point. My point is away from the lie the facts are not that bad considering we avoided a depression. If you wish to continue to bang on about the lie go ahead with your bad self.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

We spent last weekend discussing the veracity of Paul Ryan's marathon career, so banging on over a lie that is actually fairly relevant to the election seems appropriate.

Unemployment still over 8% this month. 96K jobs added, but the percentage actually dropped .2%, thanks to 368K people giving up looking for work. Upon the news of the drop, the audience at MSNBC was heard chanting "4 more years." To be fair, they probably didn't know the circumstances that caused the drop, but I guess when you have been looking at 8%+ unemployment for almost four years, you are happy to see it go down regardless of the circumstances.

--------------------

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All of that may well be true, but it completely avoids the fundamental question of any election.

You shouldn't be asking "is the current guy good enough". You must ask "is the current guy likely to be better than anyone else on offer".

On recent performance, the answer to the latter question depends entirely on your definition of the word 'better'.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  39  40  41  42  43  44  45  ...  71  72  73 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016