homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: A 2012 US election thread (Page 50)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  71  72  73 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: A 2012 US election thread
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
This is an obvious point, but I notice that most of the angry or depressed Presidents people have named held office before the age of television and radio. I was taught in school that the Kennedy/Nixon debates of 1960 illustrated the TV effect clearly: that people who watched the debates on TV, who saw Kennedy looking fresh-faced and Nixon haggard and stubbly, thought Kennedy had won the debates; and people who listened on the radio and only heard the candidates speak thought Nixon had won.

Leaving aside the fact that the viewer/listener divide in the Kennedy-Nixon debates is likely a myth (though a popular one), the fact remains that Nixon was elected president. Twice! If the advent of mass communications is supposed to prevent the election of presidents with dark and vicious personalities, the two-time election of Tricky Dick has to be explained somehow.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
If the advent of mass communications is supposed to prevent the election of presidents with dark and vicious personalities, the two-time election of Tricky Dick has to be explained somehow.

i) He was very, very clever
ii) He had no scruples whatsoever

I think they will do.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nixon also got in on the beginning of the culture war, and exploited it very effectively. He was nothing if not shrewd.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Leaving aside the fact that the viewer/listener divide in the Kennedy-Nixon debates is likely a myth (though a popular one), the fact remains that Nixon was elected president. Twice! If the advent of mass communications is supposed to prevent the election of presidents with dark and vicious personalities, the two-time election of Tricky Dick has to be explained somehow.

(Darn, and I actually *trusted* that American history teacher- he was one of the smartest in my school. He certainly didn't tell us that anecdote because he supported Nixon; he still got choked up talking about the Kennedy assassination thirty years later.)

I wasn't viewing the TV effect as a positive development, actually, and I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. The fact that we probably couldn't elect Cleveland or Lincoln today because they weren't pretty boys is, I think, a bad thing.

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
The fact that we probably couldn't elect Cleveland or Lincoln today because they weren't pretty boys is, I think, a bad thing.

Once again, Nixon! If anyone illustrated that you didn't have to be a "pretty boy" to get elected president in the electronic age it was Nixon. I live with the certainty that no one ever called him "Pretty Boy Nixon".

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What about FDR and his wheelchair? He was protected by the media in a way that would be inconceivable today. Mind you, he did demonstrate that the ability to walk is not required of the US President.

Or William Howard Taft and his morbid obesity. The man was a whale.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
mdijon:
quote:
Angry black British men aren't acceptable. On late night transport it is perfectly obvious that many white (and some black) people give black men a wider berth than white men.
I've been thinking about this... I'm sure you're right about late-night transport, but speaking as a (white) woman who does her best to avoid being stuck on a train late at night with a bunch of drunks I would find a scruffy-looking white man with a shaven head far scarier than a neatly dressed black man, which just goes to show that in the UK class is a factor as well as race. Though I'd be scared of anyone who looked like he was spoiling for a fight.
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
...who does her best to avoid being stuck on a train late at night with a bunch of drunks...

This does not sound like irrational prejudice to me.

I'm sure you are right though, that there are many other factors including class, build and demeanour.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
five
Shipmate
# 14492

- Posted      Profile for five         Edit/delete post 
I disagree that you have to be so photogenic, etc to get elected and particularly that Taft and Roosevelt couldn't have been elected today. The press certainly covered up the extent to which Roosevelt was wheelchair bound (though much of that was also Roosevelt concealing it, even from the press), and Taft wasn't photogenic. But this continued on, even into the TV age - there was a lot JFK was up to in terms of addiction to painkillers and womanising that wasn't mentioned. Some would say that this was to keep up the myth of Camelot. I can't really go that far. I think it was more of the culture at the time. There were things that the press decided just weren't deeply relevant. They didn't fit the news cycles, which only a few years ago were far longer than they are now. The news was two half hour broadcasts on three or four networks, and then print media. Now there are countless channels looking to fill 24 hours with something, anything, and there is so much faux news. Not a pejorative comment on Fox News (though I've seen them here and find them reprehensible, but rather hours of fill on reality TV stars and people whose entire paid careers seems to be providing stories to the media (the Kardashians, Jordan/Katie Price, the Real Fake Housewives of Western Wherever, etc.) As a consequence of having everyone's previously private life broadcast everywhere, there's plenty of time to dissect every hair on a candidate's head.

And yet - in terms of weight, Mike Huckabee has been elected while morbidly obese (though he has had considerable weight loss since.) Chris Christie, himself of quite Taft proportions, keeps being mooted as a Presidential candidate. In terms of wheelchairs, there aren't any current candidates I'm aware of who suffer such a disability, but in terms of other paralyses, Bob Dole and John McCain had arm problems and both ran for president on the 24 hour news cycle and other congressmen (Chuck Graham immediately comes to mind) are wheelchair bound. I don't find it inconceivable that one of them could successfully run for President. For all the reasons for McCain's and Dole's losses, I have yet to hear anyone suggest it was because they weren't photogenic enough or that their disabilities meant the public wouldn't elect them. For McCain, Sarah Palin seemed from over here to have done him in more than anything else, and Dole was up against Bill Clinton, who was next to unstoppable.

--------------------
And Jesus said 'the greatest commandments are these: Love the Lord your God with 10% of your time and energy, and Pamphlet your neighbour with tracts' - Birdseye

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
mdijon:
quote:
This does not sound like irrational prejudice to me.
Thank you... but on rereading my own post I see evidence of bias in favour of people who look as if they're middle class. Which is probably just as irrational as race-based prejudice.

Getting back to the subject of the thread, I do think that TV has had a considerable effect on the electability (to coin a word) of political candidates. It's not impossible for someone who isn't photogenic to be elected (eg Ann Widdecombe) but it is harder. Also, ISTM that seeing your candidates plastered all over the TV makes it more likely that you will pick someone who looks trustworthy rather than after careful consideration of their policies.

I speak as one who before the last UK General Election would not have bought a second-hand car from Mr Cameron. During the election campaign my opinion changed; nowadays I wouldn't buy a new car from him either. Though I did look at the party policies before deciding not to vote for the Tories.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
I'm trying to remember if its against Ship policy in Purgatory to point out to somebody how badly they are doing at being a troll.

That could only be, I suppose, if someone can finally come up with an adequate definition of troll.

Please feel free to have a go at it - TIA.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

Mitt Romney agrees with you! Check out RoboRomney, where you enter your preferred position (liberal, moderate, or conservative) on a variety of issues (foreign policy, immigration, gun control, civil rights, health care, abortion, environment, the economy, tax reform, and education) and RoboRomney will compile a helpful video of Mitt Romney taking the positions you want. Truly a candidate who is all things to all people!

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ah, so that's why he's now ahead in the polls . . .

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by moron:
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
I'm trying to remember if its against Ship policy in Purgatory to point out to somebody how badly they are doing at being a troll.

That could only be, I suppose, if someone can finally come up with an adequate definition of troll.

Please feel free to have a go at it - TIA.

Its a definition set by this website itself, with everybody having the option to choose to live with that definition or not. Which is why I asked the question. (Its obvious what I think by even asking the question)

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll take a swing at the troll pitch. Here's my understanding.

Stating overtly in Purgatory that someone is a troll is normally treated as a C3 violation. By analogy, saying that someone is stupid (rather than guilty of a stupid post) is also a C3 violation. Even if the Shipmate is stupid.

An implication that a Shipmate is a troll (whether good, bad or indifferent at it) is sliding up to the C3 violation line. Shipmates walking the line may get a judgement call against them.

All Shipmates get the benefit of the doubt until a formal call of troll by Admin. A Host may take concerns to Admin - and may warn a particular Shipmate that their posts are being looked at by Admin. Decision is left to Admin, rather than Hosts, because the call of troll is based on a pattern of behaviour, not a single post. A troll decision will invariably get the offender planked.

Hope this clarifies the policy, at least as I understand it. If you want any further discussion, please take the issue to the Styx.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

[ 10. October 2012, 10:27: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well now that that's sorted.

IMNSHO tonight's VP debate is likely to be more entertaining than Obama/Romney... at least there's some history supporting my belief.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It seems the split between those who thought Ryan won or Biden won tonight's debate is about as tight as the race in general. Both gave as good as they got on the plus side and on the negative side, both fudged the facts. It'll be interesting to see how the next Presidential debate goes.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ryan asked for Federal help as he championed cuts to benefit his constituents at the same time he condemns Obama for those very programs. I'd have a better opinion of him if he hadn't asked for monies from programs he publicly condemns Obama for. As it is he's a run of the mill political liar and hypocrite.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought the real missed opportunity of the debate was when Biden failed to bring up Romney when Ryan blathered on about needing a steady hand on the tiller for foreign policy. Pointing out that Romney has never gone two days in a row with the same view of anything is something that Biden could have done better than Obama, and he oddly failed to strike where the exposed underbelly actually was.

For Ryan, the stunner was his deer-in-the-headlights long pause when asked about outlawing abortion.

But, overall, I thought they both did decent jobs for their top man.

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My wife absolutely hates politics. Last night she tried to watch the debate but was very quickly and completely put off by Biden's giggling, interruptions and his excrement eating grins. Just a few minutes in, she was done.

However, when VP candidates debate they normally do not move the needle very much. Since neither man showed up drunk, naked and shouting obscenities at the audience they probably both did fine enough to not hurt their tickets.

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Posts: 2797 | From: West Carolina | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mere Nick:
My wife absolutely hates politics. Last night she tried to watch the debate but was very quickly and completely put off by Biden's giggling, interruptions and his excrement eating grins.

My brother-in-law had the same reaction to Romney in the last debate. It appears that "the other guy's rude" is the way some folks acknowledge that their man got his butt handed to him. It strikes me as bit like saying, "The winning boxer was too violent."

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

- Posted      Profile for Mere Nick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
My wife absolutely hates politics. Last night she tried to watch the debate but was very quickly and completely put off by Biden's giggling, interruptions and his excrement eating grins.

My brother-in-law had the same reaction to Romney in the last debate. It appears that "the other guy's rude" is the way some folks acknowledge that their man got his butt handed to him. It strikes me as bit like saying, "The winning boxer was too violent."

--Tom Clune

It appears not in this case, though. It was a major distraction like Al Gore's sighing in one of his debates with Bush the Younger.

Let's wait until the next debate. If Obama is giggling, interrupting and flashing an excrement eating grin then that will strongly suggest, if not indicate, that the Obama campaign believes such behavior actually helps their cause.

Who knows? Maybe by then the Obama campaign will have something believable to say about their handling of Benghazi.

[ 12. October 2012, 14:21: Message edited by: Mere Nick ]

--------------------
"Well that's it, boys. I've been redeemed. The preacher's done warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It's the straight and narrow from here on out, and heaven everlasting's my reward."
Delmar O'Donnell

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

As for anyone getting their butts kicked last night, it may have been the Oakland A's, much to my disappointment, but neither of the VP candidates:

CNN poll.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

quote:
It appears not in this case, though. It was a major distraction like Al Gore's sighing in one of his debates with Bush the Younger.

Let's wait until the next debate. If Obama is giggling, interrupting and flashing an excrement eating grin then that will strongly suggest, if not indicate, that the Obama campaign believes such behavior actually helps their cause.

Who knows? Maybe by then the Obama campaign will have something believable to say about their handling of Benghazi.

Actually on the first debate it was Romney who was interrupting, sighing and flashing the excrement eating grin if you watched the split screen version. It appears it's a draw on this issue. I don't know if Obama can do those thing as it doesn't appear in his personality. He can get angry and that might appear in the next debate.

--------------------
Wm. Shakespeare

Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl:
Actually on the first debate it was Romney who was interrupting, sighing and flashing the excrement eating grin if you watched the split screen version. It appears it's a draw on this issue. I don't know if Obama can do those thing as it doesn't appear in his personality. He can get angry and that might appear in the next debate.

I saw the first debate and didn't notice Biden-like behavior from Romney. The behavior trait that stood out to me was Obama's inability to look Romney in the eye. Well, here in about 30-45 minutes I'm going to go do something that Obama and I agree on and Romney is just plain wrong about, and that's to have a pint or two of beer.

--------------------
Delmar O'Donnell

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Obama can't afford to get angry. There are too many almost-racists voting for him who would freak at the sight of an angry black man.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Obama can't afford to get angry. There are too many almost-racists voting for him who would freak at the sight of an angry black man.

I'll be happy if he just manages to be conscious this time.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I attended a local debate between two candidates for the provincial legislature. Both candidates used most of their time saying how bad and unsuitable the opponent was, and rarely answered any of the questions.

A Tory voter told me afterwards that the Tory candidate was aperfect gentleman and never said anything derogatory about his opponent.

And, oddly enough, a Liberal supporter said exactly the same thing, almost word-for-word,in the opposite direction.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The endorsement everyone has been waiting for is in!

Mitt could probably have gone without this one. Still, every vote counts, even in blue states (I suspect Lilo is registered, if at all, in either California or her home state of New York.)

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
The endorsement everyone has been waiting for is in!

Mitt could probably have gone without this one. Still, every vote counts, even in blue states (I suspect Lilo is registered, if at all, in either California or her home state of New York.)

Maybe she'll be voting from jail, which could put her in a swing state. I smell a right-wing conspiracy, and folks, I trust my instincts!

--Tom Clune

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I smell a right-wing conspiracy, and folks, I trust my instincts!--Tom Clune

About time! Where do I sign up?
Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

But how would Snooki vote?
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post 
The US election process makes me glad that our PM, I'm Canadian is not directly elected by the voter. And our elections can be nasty but the US is way beyond nasty .
And one wonder what would happen if a genuis , a Jefferson or Lincoln were to arise
could they get the support needed ? I wonder .
Last night's VP debate had a defender Mr, Biden and an attackker who screamed last spring at compromisers but the head of his ticket says that compromise may be needed.
Also I was shocked he took so long to answer
the abortion question. As an RC he has but 1 answer no abortion except to save the mothers life.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mere Nick
Shipmate
# 11827

You want nasty? Yearn for the good ol' days, my northern neighbor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Drl8fpWTKo

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
The US election process makes me glad that our PM, I'm Canadian is not directly elected by the voter. And our elections can be nasty but the US is way beyond nasty .

It should be noted that the U.S. President is not directly elected by the voters either.

--------------------

Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PaulBC:
And one wonder what would happen if a genuis , a Jefferson or Lincoln were to arise
could they get the support needed ? I wonder .
Last night's VP debate had a defender Mr, Biden and an attackker who screamed last spring at compromisers but the head of his ticket says that compromise may be needed.
Also I was shocked he took so long to answer
the abortion question. As an RC he has but 1 answer no abortion except to save the mothers life.

Since when are we innocent?

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
It should be noted that the U.S. President is not directly elected by the voters either.

Indeed, if the Republicans have their way, it won't involve any real voters at all -- only corporations (which are people, too, of course...)

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
As for anyone getting their butts kicked last night, it may have been the Oakland A's, much to my disappointment, but neither of the VP candidates:

CNN poll.

Another one from CBS showed similar results. I think that the VP's performance was aimed at walking the Andrew Sullivans of the world back off the ledge. I didn't have much success with my poll predictions last time, so I will not hazard a guess as to how last night's show will change the polls.

I do get the sense that Joe Biden could be a fantastic internet troll when he retires if he so desires. I don't think it would have been terribly out of character for him to turn to Mr. Ryan at some point last night and say "You mad? Don't get all butt hurt!"

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Another one from CBS showed similar results.

The one I saw from CBS was of undecideds, and it tilted Biden 50, Ryan 31 (with 19 undecided). Hardly similar to a 44/48 split.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Another one from CBS showed similar results.

The one I saw from CBS was of undecideds, and it tilted Biden 50, Ryan 31 (with 19 undecided). Hardly similar to a 44/48 split.
Whoops.

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Indeed, if the Republicans have their way, it won't involve any real voters at all -- only corporations (which are people, too, of course...)

--Tom Clune

Point taken: but the Democrats use natural people although they might be dead, illegal, have already voted multiple times, or all of the above.

[ 12. October 2012, 23:41: Message edited by: New Yorker ]

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
quote:

--Tom Clune

Point taken: but the Democrats use natural people although they might be dead, illegal, have already voted multiple times, or all of the above.
10 cases in the last 10 years, nation wide. Hardly a standard tactic. And we don't even know that those 10 were skewed toward DNC-- recent efforts would suggest the culprit may lie in the other direction.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Or poor.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

--Tom Clune

Proof?

--------------------

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hey, don't hassle poor New Yorker.

It's hard enough to think up new strange facts without people actually disagreeing with him.

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know that name-calling and such is standard American politics. But we don't shoot at each other over politics. At least, we didn't used to.

May God have mercy on our country.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
I know that name-calling and such is standard American politics. But we don't shoot at each other over politics. At least, we didn't used to.

[Confused]

Are you sure you're not thinking of another "America"?

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I'm really iffy about keeping the electoral college. Seems useless, at best.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Ah, yes. The same people who were practically orgasmic over the ACORN scandal are curiously silent about Strategic Allied Consulting and Nathan Sproul. And the RNC knew he was dirty when they hired him, which is why they asked him to change the name of his firm.

Furthermore, if voter impersonation has been such a terrible, awful problem, then why didn't the states do anything about until AFTER Barack Obama was elected President?

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  47  48  49  50  51  52  53  ...  71  72  73 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016