homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: A 2012 US election thread (Page 57)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  ...  71  72  73 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: A 2012 US election thread
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For another example of a politician denying the obvious (and using a portmanteau with "momentum") see "Joementum".

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nate Silver latest.

He's an impressive and calm analyst.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:

Scalia, in his opinion on Bush v. Gore noted that there is no constitutional right for US citizens to vote for president--state legislatures determine how electoral votes are allocated. Nowadays they do it by popular vote, but hey...

Judge Antonin Scalia, ever the pedant, was of course, technically correct. But as often happens with him, that opinion in fact perverted the point in question which is how the electorate perceives its votes to be applied and tallied, and to what purpose.

Of course Scalia and the rest of the supremes are judges and not legislators, but nevertheless it is certainly possible for judges to see through and beyond technicalities into wider intent. That's why Breyer, Ginsburg , Souter & Stevens opposed the notions of Rehnquist, Scalia & Thomas with Kennedy & O'Connor declining to join in the Rehnquist opinion.

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Scalia, in his opinion on Bush v. Gore noted that there is no constitutional right for US citizens to vote for president--state legislatures determine how electoral votes are allocated. Nowadays they do it by popular vote, but hey...

True but entirely irrelevant. The State of Florida had its own system for appointing electors that was based by the popular vote in the state, and THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES HAS NO STANDING IN THE INTERNAL ELECTION AFFAIRS OF THE STATE OF FLORIDA.

[ 28. October 2012, 16:03: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh, of course. But I wasn't talking about the substance of Bush v. Gore, just about how easy it would be for a state legislature to strip away even the veneer of democracy in presidential elections.

[ 28. October 2012, 17:37: Message edited by: Timothy the Obscure ]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
General consensus on This Week with George Stephanopoulos: Mittmentum is real, and he may carry the day.

ANd here I've been drinking Nate Silver Kool-Aid.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Porridge:
General consensus on This Week with George Stephanopoulos: Mittmentum is real, and he may carry the day.

ANd here I've been drinking Nate Silver Kool-Aid.

There's a lot of Kool-Aid out there. The Talk Radio pundits are already setting up the 'if our guy doesn't win, then the election was rigged' rhetoric. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Being too close sells eyeballs.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Oh, of course. But I wasn't talking about the substance of Bush v. Gore, just about how easy it would be for a state legislature to strip away even the veneer of democracy in presidential elections.

Although it's still democracy at one remove -- state legislators that did that would have to stand for reëlection.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And now writer/director/producer Joss Whedon has (sort of) endorsed Romney.

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Although it's still democracy at one remove -- state legislators that did that would have to stand for reëlection.
Except that the pro-Romney electorate would likely be happy that their delegation had voted for Romney no matter how unfair that might be.

But there is something else that very very seriously concerns me. I have a big fear that the election may well be stolen by crooked voting machines, which are apparently very easy for someone with a journeyman's knowledge of MS Access to fix without leaving a trail. It's late but tomorrow i'll try to link to some sources. The voting machines in Ohio and elsewhere are owned by a company with Romney ties (i think Tagg is an executive), and Diebold, whose machines are in GA and elsewhere has a strong Bush connection. They've shown they will do whatever they can get away with, so, yes, i'm a bit scared, and i am praying. [Votive]

[ 29. October 2012, 03:22: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I agree about vote counting, and the hazard (to put it mildly) to our republic that represents.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

Yeah, but the GOP has been so good at gerrymandering state legislative districts that they might be able to pull it off in some states. With the attitude among the Karl Rove types that it's rank insubordination for the proles to vote for Democrats, they might even get away with it.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
And now writer/director/producer Joss Whedon has (sort of) endorsed Romney.

I'd [Killing me] if it weren't so close to truth that I feel more like [Eek!] [Paranoid] [Waterworks] .

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

For those Americans in the path of Hurricane Sandy, just remember that Mitt Romney believes federal disaster relief is "immoral".

--------------------

Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

I am in Sandy's path. And I live in a state run for the last 2 years by a gang of Tea Partiers whose main contribution to our governance has been (A) to make guns more widely available and accessible; (B) to thin our already-insubstantial state "safety net" into cobwebs; and (C) to turn our state into a laughingstock by calling for the removal (by duly-elected Birthers) of our current President from the upcoming election ballot and trying to insert the Magna Carta into our state's legal codes.

We have hundreds of red-lined bridges and roads in this state because we ALWAYS postpone maintenance, and the last legislature shot down an effort to raise the gas tax which provides money to repair them. We have the lowest gas taxes in the region, not raised since 1991.

GUESS, just GUESS, who my state will HAVE to turn to after Sandy demolishes our coast and washes away a number of bridges and roads?

With zero political ambitions, I am running for office, chiefly in an effort to prevent TP loonies from occupying the seat.

Disaster relief is immoral? I can't respond to this anywhere but in Hell. [Mad]

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:

To be fair, Romney only claims that federal disaster relief is "immoral". His long-form answer seems to be in favor of turning over such efforts to the private sector.

quote:
Ahoy there! Yes, you! The one trapped on the roof of what used to be her home. What's your current bid for a rescue? Remember, you're bidding against those folks in the McMansion down what used to be the road, so price your bid accordingly!
Now that's vulture capitalism!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I'm more likely to go with:

Hey! Mister! You stuck on the roof! We looked at your Facebook page, and you are all negative on government spending for disaster relief and rescue. "People should take proper precautions and not expect other people to bail them out," you said. We're going to respect your words and not force a rescue on you that goes against your deeply-held beliefs. You built that. Bye now!

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
I'm more likely to go with:

Hey! Mister! You stuck on the roof! We looked at your Facebook page, and you are all negative on government spending for disaster relief and rescue. "People should take proper precautions and not expect other people to bail them out," you said. We're going to respect your words and not force a rescue on you that goes against your deeply-held beliefs. You built that. Bye now!

For an extended riff on this theme, read "We're All In This Together," By A Republican Standing In Four Feet Of Floodwater. A sample:

quote:
A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take it all away - that's what Ronald Reagan said, and it's true. But having a government big enough to buy some rescue helicopters wouldn't be so bad, would it?

--------------------

malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

To be fair, Romney only claims that federal disaster relief is "immoral". His long-form answer seems to be in favor of turning over such efforts to the private sector.
In other words, turning it into primarily a money-making opportunity for his rich friends. Which is immoral.

--------------------
God = love.

Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
... His long-form answer seems to be in favor of turning over such efforts to the private sector. ...

My standard response to that is that if the private sector could do it at profit, they would already be doing it. And they do, in a limited fashion: insurance companies provide a form of "disaster relief" to their customers. But what happens when the damage is to joint or public properties, such as infrastructure, or when the damage is so widespread that there will be significant delays and risks until repairs can be made? Think about trying to get an insurance policy for e.g. the Golden Gate Bridge, and putting in a claim, and trying to get it rebuilt ...

The fact that there are NO private, for-profit equivalents to the Red Cross or the Salvation Army should be a pretty clear indicator that there isn't a business model for disaster relief.

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
As for the size of the USA government, the Republicans seem to want a government so small that the only place it will fit is between a woman's legs.

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
In other words, turning it into primarily a money-making opportunity for his rich friends. Which is immoral.

Not immoral to Mitt, that's the problem. [Waterworks]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

quote:
Originally posted by Soror Magna:
As for the size of the USA government, the Republicans seem to want a government so small that the only place it will fit is between a woman's legs.

This is definitely one for the quotes file, Great Sister!
[Overused]

--------------------
God = love.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder if any of Mitt's attitude toward disasters has anything to do with his church? Mormons are very big on being prepared for all sorts of stuff. NOT excusing what he said.

Soror Magna, awesome comment!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have to admit these even-handed bloggers take a bit of the fun out of the whole deal...

As much of New York is suffering hurricane-related blackouts, the 538 magic-bullshit-spewing machine could not be reached for comment.

quote:
In sum, this data indicates this election remains very close on the surface, but the political environment and the composition of the likely electorate favor Governor Romney. These factors come into play with our “vote election model” – which takes into account variables like vote intensity, voters who say they are definite in their vote, and demographics like age and education. In that snapshot of today’s vote model, Mitt Romney leads Barack Obama by five-points – 52% to 47%. While that gap can certainly be closed by the ground game of the Democrats, reports from the field would indicate that not to be the case, and Mitt Romney may well be heading to a decisive victory.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can someone enlighten non-Americans as to what a 538 magic bullshit spewing machine is?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
ken: Can someone enlighten non-Americans as to what a 538 magic bullshit spewing machine is?
FiveThirtyEight, a political prediction blog by Nate Silver.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Perhaps I should have mentioned that this blog is posted on the site of the New York Times, and that you're required to pay after reading 10 posts or so. However, the predictions are freely visible.)

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Romney heading for a decisive victory? Somebody please tell me that this is Repugly bull-shit, please.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Can someone enlighten non-Americans as to what a 538 magic bullshit spewing machine is?

Nate Silver is an American statistician who made a name for himself as a baseball statistician. Prior to the 2008 election, he began to apply many of the principles he used in baseball statistics to the presidential and senate elections. These evebntually took the form of a blog, which he called 538 -- the number of electors in the electoral college. The upshot was that he correctly predicted the outcome of the presidential election in 49 of the 50 states (all but Indiana) and the District of Columbia, as well as the outcomes of all Senate races that year. In 2010, he correctly predicted the outcome of 34 of the 37 senate races.

The New York Times ended up buying his blog and bringing him on to their payroll. 538 can now be found here. His analytic algorithms are based on numerous polls as well as on economic, historical, demographic and other factors.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

I'm not from the US but I'm interested in its politics, and I'm an avid reader of 538.

Nate Silver makes an explicit distinction between his blog posts and his statistical predictions: he personally has a Democratic lean, but he tries to avoid a partisan bias in his predictive model.

In fact, his blog posts had a much stronger Democratic bias in the 2008 race. In those days he gave vivid accounts of the work of Democratic volunteers, and I remember him describing how he sat on the pavement and wept after seeing black people voting while singing freedom songs. If anything, his blog posts have decidedly become more balanced since he joined NYT.

Whether he succeeded in avoiding a partisan lean in his statistical model, I guess we could discuss about this a long time but to me the relevance of these discussions is limited. I mean, we'll know the answer in a week's time.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
(Perhaps I should have mentioned that this blog is posted on the site of the New York Times, and that you're required to pay after reading 10 posts or so. However, the predictions are freely visible.)

The New York Times' ridiculous paywall allows you to view ten articles per (calendar) month. Repeatedly viewing the same article (say, FiveThirtyEight's front page) only counts as one view, regardless of how often you go there or whether it's been updated since your last view. Clicking through to read any of the individual posts (like this one about swing state polling) counts as an additional "article" towards your ten monthly free views.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Romney heading for a decisive victory? Somebody please tell me that this is Repugly bull-shit, please.

Well, statistical bullshit at least. The post linked to by moron is a typical way such things are usually spun. First, take a single poll that seems at least a little favorable to your preferred outcome, then 'tweak' their assumptions about the likely electorate. This is sometimes legitimate, but oftentimes it's not. A favorite among Republican-leaning pundits this time around is assuming things like the turnout and composition of the electorate in the 2012 election is going to be closer to the 2010 mid-terms than the 2008 presidential election (i.e. fewer young voters, fewer black voters, etc.)

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This thread is hopeless; I'm not getting my daily, 'Don't worry, Obama has a slight but solid lead in the important states' fix.

Instead, I'm getting 'Romney has an increasing lead', which I suspect is Repugly propaguglyanda.

Somebody, help.

Yes, thank you, thank you, thank you, shantih shantih shantih.

You are all that I could wish for, Mr/Ms Croesus.

[ 30. October 2012, 14:00: Message edited by: quetzalcoatl ]

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
This thread is hopeless; I'm not getting my daily, 'Don't worry, Obama has a slight but solid lead in the important states' fix.

Instead, I'm getting 'Romney has an increasing lead', which I suspect is Repugly propaguglyanda.

Well, a more accurate way to put it might be "Romney has narrowed the gap between him and Obama, but appears to have stalled."

A decent sanity check is the electoral-vote.com website, which simply aggregates state-level polls and projects the results onto an electoral college map. It doesn't make forecasts. It's more akin to what Nate Silver refers to as a "nowcast". (i.e. if the election were held today, how would it turn out?)

The key bit of info for me is contained in this graph showing electoral vote count over time. What's notable for me is the fact that Mitt Romney has never had more (or even as many) electoral votes as Barack Obama. This is true even if you exclude states where the polling is a statistical tie (i.e. the candidates are within ~5 percentage points of each other). Now as they say, past performance is no guarantee of future outcomes, but we're a week out from Election Day and Romney needs to move an awful lot of voters in Virginia and Ohio for the math to work out in his favor.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

Having ran out of every other argument, Romney's campaign is reduced to a content-free bandwagon message. "Things are trending toward us; come trend along."

"We have momentum" is hardly a reason to vote for anybody. That they are latching onto this as a selling point shows the utter intellectual bankruptcy of their campaign.

--------------------

Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
For those Americans in the path of Hurricane Sandy, just remember that Mitt Romney believes federal disaster relief is "immoral".

He also said that stopping the rise of the ocean was a ridiculous goal. Would he like to repeat that now? If not, perhaps a PAC somewhere will kindly do it for him.
Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
ken: Can someone enlighten non-Americans as to what a 538 magic bullshit spewing machine is?
FiveThirtyEight, a political prediction blog by Nate Silver.
Oh I know that I've been reading it for a while - seems pretty bog-standard boring to me if a bit optimistic sometimes. Its the magic bullshit spewing machine I want to see! Where is that explained? Can we get blueprints? Or a working model? I want to see it in action! I want to spray my crops with it! And my enemies!

I mean, what the blog actually says is hardly that thrilling. Let me summarise: "Opinion polls make it look as if Obama is probably just going to scrape through in Ohio and Pennsylvania and Virginia, as long as you ignore Gallup, because they are Bad and Naughty and ask different questions on the phone. And a narrow margin in a few big states translates into a big one in the Electoral College cos that is how Electoral Colleges work.". And its been saying it for weeks. Most other news outlets and commentators seem to agree.

Come on! I want to see some magic bullshit! Where are they hiding it? Bring on the Magic Bullshit! We want our Magic Bullshit!

quote:

That might be because half of them have been underwater for the last 36 hours.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Its the magic bullshit spewing machine I want to see! Where is that explained? Can we get blueprints? Or a working model? I want to see it in action! I want to spray my crops with it! And my enemies!

We just asked the local dairy farmer, who stopped by and spewed a load all over our garden. I didn't see anything magical about it, however. Perhaps that's because he didn't have any bulls.
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can anyone explain why such a large proportion of women feel the need to vote Republican?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

Their husbands make them?

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by Horseman Bree:
Can anyone explain why such a large proportion of women feel the need to vote Republican?

There's a certain mindset that's able to tell itself "what they're saying doesn't apply to me". See also: GOProud and Log Cabin Republicans.

--------------------

New Yorker
Shipmate
# 9898

- Posted      Profile for New Yorker   Email New Yorker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Why wouldn't they? I mean the GOP has views and policies on all sorts of issues. Most women that I know are fairly intelligent and make up their own minds on these issues. The smarter ones, naturally, opt to side with the GOP. [Smile]

To say that women, just because they are women, should vote en blanc for one party is sexism at its worst.

Posts: 3193 | From: New York City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by New Yorker:
quote:

Why wouldn't they? I mean the GOP has views and policies on all sorts of issues. Most women that I know are fairly intelligent and make up their own minds on these issues. The smarter ones, naturally, opt to side with the GOP. [Smile]

To say that women, just because they are women, should vote en blanc for one party is sexism at its worst.

Or would be, if that party weren't out to systematically walk back all their rights as women.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
New Yorker: To say that women, just because they are women, should vote en blanc for one party is sexism at its worst.
I don't think that 'I can't understand why a woman would vote for party X' means the same as 'Women shouldn't vote for party X'.

There's a party in the Netherlands that explicitly excludes women from its leadership positions or decision making processes (SGP). I don't understand very well why there are women who vote for this party. But that's not like I'm saying they're not entitled to.

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

En blanc? Does this mean they are supposed to wear white gloves when they vote?

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:

En blanc? Does this mean they are supposed to wear white gloves when they vote?

--Tom Clune

No, it means that the GOP still isn't so sure the Nineteenth Amendment was such a good idea and encourages women to submit ladylike blank ballots rather than doing something unwomanly like expressing a political opinion.

--------------------

Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
New Yorker: To say that women, just because they are women, should vote en blanc for one party is sexism at its worst.
I don't think that 'I can't understand why a woman would vote for party X' means the same as 'Women shouldn't vote for party X'.
Sounds like it to me.

Most women I know see the Republican party platform as more favorable for women. Many women identify strongly with the "family values" aspect of what Republicans stand for.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The latest fivethirtyeight blog also contains results from other state by state polls. The other interesting forecast is that Ohio is by far the most likely of the states to be decisive in determining the overall result.

So again, and not surprisingly, you have this from the Huffington Post and this from Fox.

Who is dancing in the dark? We'll soon find out.

[ 31. October 2012, 15:21: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  54  55  56  57  58  59  60  ...  71  72  73 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016