homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: A 2012 US election thread (Page 73)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  70  71  72  73 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: A 2012 US election thread
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Lots of people on the right seem to think the election was "stolen" -- by voter fraud or vote-counting fraud, or whatever. Which is a grand case of projection since all the fraud discovered over the course of the last year has been perpetrated by Republicans.

People were voting while fraudulently claiming to be white males. In fact, some of them were so brazen about it they didn't even bother to claim to be white males and voted anyway.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Justinian
Shipmate
# 5357

- Posted      Profile for Justinian   Email Justinian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
E.g. "Well the ballot didn't work...", ellipsis in the original, harkening back to somebody's quip (Bachmann?) about using the bullet if the ballot didn't work.

I'm boggling slightly here. Not at the sentiment but that Bachmann would be riffing off one of Malcolm X's most famous speeches.

--------------------
My real name consists of just four letters, but in billions of combinations.

Eudaimonaic Laughter - my blog.

Posts: 3926 | From: The Sea Coast of Bohemia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe it wasn't Bachmann. I do know she made some quip about "second amendment solutions" to problems not amenable to the ballot. Which is in the same ballpark.

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Paul Ryan blames the loss on the high turnout of "urban" voters. Presumably the same people who listen to "urban" radio stations. Wonder what they look like?

In another article, he was quoted as denying that they lost on the issues... it's just that "urban" thing, I guess.

Because urban voters don't vote based on issues. (Who owns those urban radio stations? Rupert "more conservative than thou" Murdoch, perhaps?)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Alogon wrote:

quote:
Asians, of course, are a diverse group. The author notes that Korean-Americans do tend to vote Republican, but didn't speculate as to why. Comments from readers noted that he neglected to consider religion in his analysis. A political party comprising people who treat non-Christians as traitors is not going to appeal to a minority comprising non-Christians. Of Asian-Americans, Koreans are the most likely to be Christians.

Interestingly, though, in Korea itself, the most conservative regions are the Gyeongsang provinces in the southeast, which have also been the most historically Buddhist.

This led to a bit of tension a while back, when Lee Myung Bak, a devout protestant from North Gyeongsang, became president under the conservative party banner, but then began to alienate Buddhists with a series of symbolic gestures and (minor and never realized) policy proposals that seemed to denigrate Buddhism. As of 2011, the two sides appear to have reached a degree of reconciliation.

Whether all this would mimic itself among the diaspora, I don't know. I do know that, in left-leaning South Jeolla, where I live, there was widespread dislike of Bush, regardless of religious affiliation, and equally widespread enthusiasm for Obama before and after the '08 election(Obamamania seems to have cooled the last few years, but there's nowhere near the resentment that was felt toward Bush).

[ 14. November 2012, 14:31: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hm. It looks like Romney acutally lost ground among Mormons, compared to 2004. (No figures for 2008)

Not that huge a shift, until you consider which religious group we're talking about, ie. generally conservative, and the same faith as Romney's. Two factors which should have combined to at least keep the GOP treading water in the demographic.

I'd speculate that Romney's rep(in some circles) as a New England liberal might have hurt him, but then, Obama improved the Democratic tally among Mormons by the same number of percentage points that Romeny lost.

[ 14. November 2012, 15:36: Message edited by: Stetson ]

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
I'd speculate that Romney's rep(in some circles) as a New England liberal might have hurt him, but then, Obama improved the Democratic tally among Mormons by the same number of percentage points that Romeny lost.

But since this is based on exit polls that doesn't necessarily mean that the same guys were switching sides. It could simply mean that the Romney-voting-mormons were disillusioned and stayed home, but the Obama-voting-mormons came out in force.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Some estimates say by 2024 Texas will be a swing state. Not many years after that it will be solid blue.

Might even be quicker than that - if we assume that Spanish-speaking Texans overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:

But since this is based on exit polls that doesn't necessarily mean that the same guys were switching sides. It could simply mean that the Romney-voting-mormons were disillusioned and stayed home, but the Obama-voting-mormons came out in force.
That's true.
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Maybe it wasn't Bachmann. I do know she made some quip about "second amendment solutions" to problems not amenable to the ballot. Which is in the same ballpark.

It was Sharron Angle, who ran against Harry Reid for Senate in 2010.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

It was Sharron Angle, who ran against Harry Reid for Senate in 2010.
Thanks! [Smile]

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Some estimates say by 2024 Texas will be a swing state. Not many years after that it will be solid blue.

Might even be quicker than that - if we assume that Spanish-speaking Texans overwhelmingly vote Democrat.
I wouldn't count on that happening. Spanish-speaking Texans liked George W. Bush okay in 2000, before 9/11 made him derail his plans for immigration reform. The Republican party will have a much harder time recovering in California, where Latinos still haven't forgiven them for the racism of the Proposition 187 campaign in 1994, than in holding onto Texas, where they've historically been more sensible.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When people start talking about Hispanic/Latinos voting Republican I wonder what they think the Republicans offer to people of color in the US? No one really buys that they are the party of 'values' or 'family' which is supposedly why Hispanic/Latinos will be drawn to them. They cut education funding, push for English only laws, want to build electrified fences to fry women and children, allow openly racist and jingoistic constituents to spread hate and lies, support laws that discriminate against citizens who have been here since before Guadalupe Hidlago and are so ignorant that they can't be arsed to tell a Puerto Rican from a Coloradan cause they speak Spanish (which they call a gutter langauge). Yes, Texas will go blue, like Colorado, California and Nevada and Florida. Arizona will too in a generation. Hispanic/Latinos aren"t just a mindless mass of people to be traded by the parties, increasingly, Hispanic/Latinos are flexing political muscles and our numbers mean we will demand a share of leadership and will create a place in the party on our own terms.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
The Republican party will have a much harder time recovering in California, where Latinos still haven't forgiven them for the racism of the Proposition 187 campaign in 1994, than in holding onto Texas, where they've historically been more sensible.

Perhaps you haven't met Rick Perry.

--------------------

art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rick Perry stood up for the Texas version of the DREAM act and has been quoted as saying, "To punish these young Texans for their parents’ actions is not what America has always been about". Can't disagree with that.

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:
Rick Perry stood up for the Texas version of the DREAM act and has been quoted as saying, "To punish these young Texans for their parents’ actions is not what America has always been about". Can't disagree with that.

To quote blogger Brad DeLong, President Obama has "pursued Ronald Reagan's (second term) foreign policy, George H.W. Bush's spending policy, Bill Clinton's tax policy, Rick Perry's immigration policy, the Squam Lake Group's financial regulatory policy, John McCain's climate-change policy, George W. Bush's countercyclical fiscal policy, Richard Nixon's environmental policy, and Mitt Romney's health-care policy", which is clearly proof that this is the most radical and uncompromising administration in American history.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
quote:
Originally posted by art dunce:

To quote blogger Brad DeLong, President Obama has "pursued Ronald Reagan's (second term) foreign policy, George H.W. Bush's spending policy, Bill Clinton's tax policy, Rick Perry's immigration policy, the Squam Lake Group's financial regulatory policy, John McCain's climate-change policy, George W. Bush's countercyclical fiscal policy, Richard Nixon's environmental policy, and Mitt Romney's health-care policy", which is clearly proof that this is the most radical and uncompromising administration in American history.
Yes, but he's his own man on the issue of gay marriage. [Biased]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently Romney is now "explaining" to his donors that Obama won the election by giving financial gifts to minorities and using those "gifts" to turn out the vote. Jindal realizes which way the wind is blowing as well as telling the truth in rejecting this blame tactic by Romney: Jindal blasts Romney claim

Which side of the GOP will win the battle for the party?

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I read Brad DeLong's blog and Niteowl's post just after posting in another thread the following observation.

"The duty of an opposition is to oppose, but not to be stupid about it".

Implacable, polarising, opposition is particularly stupid given the demographics of the support for Obama. It really is stubbornly stupid not to see that. It seems likely to insure that the support for Democrats amongst the current young will continue as they get older. And it will further strengthen the sense of alienation ethnic minorities feel about the GOP.

The seven last words of any organisation are "we've never done it this way before". That's always a danger for any organisation whose conservative instincts are operating against its long term prospects.

It really ought to be soul-searching time for the GOP, not the old instinctive "business as usual".

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Niteowl:
Apparently Romney is now "explaining" to his donors that Obama won the election by giving financial gifts to minorities and using those "gifts" to turn out the vote. Jindal realizes which way the wind is blowing as well as telling the truth in rejecting this blame tactic by Romney: Jindal blasts Romney claim
Which side of the GOP will win the battle for the party?

So lemme see if I have this straight:

Romney-the-billionaire is claiming Obama bought the presidency?

Forgive me, but that's *cough* rich. I'm happier than ever this guy is nowhere near any red phones. He's delusional.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It just seems weird to complain that your opponent had policies which appealed to people. How the hell else are you supposed to campaign for office? By offering philosophical arguments as to the meaning of life, or the likelihood of aliens landing?

Sour grapes, I suppose. They did it better than us, bastards, cos we're the rich ones, who dole out 'gifts'.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
It just seems weird to complain that your opponent had policies which appealed to people.

Indeed. The idea that people were "bought off" with health care reform is particularly special.

I suppose one could frame any form of government action that involves spending taxes as "buying off" the plebs. A really honest campaign would eschew such populist tactics and promise to do nothing for anyone.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
the president courted voters by offering policies - some of them this election year - that appealed to key constituencies.
So Romney wasn't trying to do this ? If so, I think I spot the flaw in his election campaign.

quote:
You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told you're now going to get free health care, particularly if you don't have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity, I mean, this is huge
Or maybe it the access to secure healthcare in perpetuity - rather than just if you don't piss off your boss and get fired - that is 'huge'.

Plus had he not noticed that just over a third of US households - never mind individual earners - earn less than that.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You guys are willfully obtuse. When you throw money at the Makers, you are being a real American. When you offer a leg up to the Help, you are undermining the American way of life by pandering. It ain't that complicated...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

But.. but... but...

Yes, sir, sorry sir.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
You guys are willfully obtuse. When you throw money at the Makers, you are being a real American. When you offer a leg up to the Help, you are undermining the American way of life by pandering. It ain't that complicated...

--Tom Clune

As we say in the UK - tax the poor, to help the rich. It's natural law, ain't it?

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:

--Tom Clune

As we say in the UK - tax the poor, to help the rich. It's natural law, ain't it?
Of course, the real problem with helping the Help is that they are grateful. The rich expect to be pandered to, and are thus unaffected politically by such largesse. But the great unwashed are easily manipulated by shiny objects, which clearly only serves to undermine the purity of the electoral process.

Rich people understand that it is the politicians who should be bought -- a basic point of politics that the hoi polloi are simply unable to grasp. It's shameful that such low-lifes were ever given the vote, a mistake that Republicans have worked tirelessly to undermine through such things as voter suppression and ID laws -- not that they get any credit for these displays of civic-mindedness.

--Tom Clune

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

Yes, I sometimes read some of the right-wing Catholic blogs, partly just to spite myself I suppose, and I think they find democracy a bit smelly really, and not really in conformity with natural law.

Natural law has led inexorably and logically to capitalism, which is not a way of getting effing rich, and ripping people off, but an efficient way of harnessing nature's riches. So there you have it. It's a towering edifice of logic and rationality and unconscious greed.

--------------------

Crœsos
Shipmate
# 238

- Posted      Profile for Crœsos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Florida's Governor Rick "any resemblance to Superman villian Lex Luthor is purely coincidental" Scott has ordered a review of Florida's voting procedures in response to the long wait times at polling places on election day. Given that Florida's executive branch (of which Governor Scott is the head) cut early voting days nearly in half and reduced the number of hours during which early voting could happen, I'm guessing this search for the cause of voting delays is necessary only because either there are no mirrors in the Florida governor's mansion or Governor Scott casts no reflection.

--------------------
Humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 10706 | From: Sardis, Lydia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
Originally posted by Crœsos:
Florida's Governor Rick "any resemblance to Superman villian Lex Luthor is purely coincidental" Scott has ordered a review of Florida's voting procedures in response to the long wait times at polling places on election day. Given that Florida's executive branch (of which Governor Scott is the head) cut early voting days nearly in half and reduced the number of hours during which early voting could happen, I'm guessing this search for the cause of voting delays is necessary only because either there are no mirrors in the Florida governor's mansion or Governor Scott casts no reflection.

And my guess is that they'll discover that the reason for the long lines was all the voter fraud in "urban areas..." [Big Grin]

--Tom Clune

--------------------

John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No, no. It's because all those urban citizens wanted to vote! Shame on them.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gov Scott (who, incidentally looks a lot like the CEO in Dilbert) seems to be reading the writing on the wall--he's still deeply unpopular, saw his state go to Obama, retain Nelson as senator, saw the FL House delegation add Dems rather than Republicans and had the FL House speaker-in-waiting get defeated--and is rethinking things.
In addition to the voting review, he's also now changing his tune about refusing any participation by the state in ACA.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
No, no. It's because all those urban citizens wanted to vote! Shame on them.

There was a US sit-com in the...90s(?) called "Grace Under Fire". In one ep, Grace is having to deal with a sexist boss, and has to cave in on something. Then she says, "but we're never, EVER, giving back the vote!"

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hear Fox News have predicted a landslide win for Mitt Romney in the Corby By-Election.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And balaam's post is a conclusive sign that this thread should now, finally, be closed! Please feel free to start up other threads on related, post election subjects.

"And as the sun sets on the American way of life (WASP version anyway), as the Obama percentage lead creeps up towards 3% as the count approaches its end, as three-quarters of a million Americans express the wish to secede from the Union, as various GOP supporters and loyalists give signs that they still don't know their asses from their elbows ...(bias is normal, remember)"

So we say farewell until the next time.

Thanks to all for the collective ride.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  70  71  72  73 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016