homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Ordinariate Blues (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Ordinariate Blues
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it because Benedict XVI has got a completely unrealistic view of anglo-catholicism (or at least the sort of anglo-catholics who want to join him)? He thinks that they are all into Choral Evensong and stately cathedral-type worship, when most of them are much happier with the straightforward Roman rite and breviary, modelling themselves on a (probably equally unrealistic view of) the Catholic Church as lived and practised in the Vatican. In other words, they are probably only too keen to get rid of any vestige of 'Anglican patrimony'.

[response to Bishop's Finger on the previous page]

[ 08. September 2012, 18:44: Message edited by: Angloid ]

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fifi
Shipmate
# 8151

- Posted      Profile for Fifi   Email Fifi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I just don't see the point of the Ordinariate.

The point is in the name. Anglicanorum coetibus. Groups of Anglicans. A methodology whereby a priest and a number of his people can convert as a group, staying together. The theory is that it makes a scary journey a whole lot less intimidating. Seems like a good wheeze to me (even if I'm put off a little more every time Fr RPP holds forth here and elsewhere! [Smile] )
Posts: 591 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose that it comes from an intermediate position - that Anglicanism has strayed from the true Faith, but that this doesn't mean that it is to be discarded as 'Pants filled with Poo' (thanks for the image, BF!)

Rather that the culture of the Church of England includes things which could enrich Roman Catholicism if incorporated into it. I'm inclined to see it as a rather nice idea, although I suspect it will always be a bit of a fringe concept.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fifi:
quote:

The point is in the name. Anglicanorum coetibus. Groups of Anglicans. A methodology whereby a priest and a number of his people can convert as a group, staying together.
Yup, this.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arrietty:
quote:
Originally posted by chiltern_hundred:
Well, Ordinariate life may be a bit humdrum at the moment, but three Ordinariate ordinands are starting their studies in Oxford at the end of September.

Fascinating - as I understand it, the initial training to be a Catholic priest involves 7 years at a seminary.

Are these people who were in orders in the C of E who are receiving some kind of top up training before being re-ordained in the Catholic Church, or is the Ordinariate acting as a separate Church with its own selection procedures, training and orders?

Top up, yes. A friend of mine, in his late 70s, had to do canon law, which he found very difficult. But he is an excellent pastor and did it for the sake of his former parishioners.

If all the ordinariate were like him, I might consider joining.

[ 08. September 2012, 18:54: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maureen Lash:
Though it is barely relevant to the matter of the failed Ordinariate experiment, Leo's remark about Darke in F is quite the stupidest comment I've read on this thread, and a sure indication that once Christian Orthodoxy has been abandoned every other kind of sense goes out of the window with it.

I may have been somewhat intemperate in remarks about Darke in F but i did say i enjoyed singing it - as treble, alto and bass, in my youth.

However, the Anglican melodrama that is evident in Darke, Wood, Oldroyd et al is very much of its time.

What endures is Taverner, Palestrina, Guerro, John of Portugal, Lobo etc.

If you are going to join the 'true church', use its best music (with a bit of Anglican chant for the psalms!).

[ 08. September 2012, 18:58: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The point is in the name. Anglicanorum coetibus. Groups of Anglicans. A methodology whereby a priest and a number of his people can convert as a group, staying together. The theory is that it makes a scary journey a whole lot less intimidating. Seems like a good wheeze to me (even if I'm put off a little more every time Fr RPP holds forth here and elsewhere! [Smile] )
I find that quite helpful in understanding the purpose of the Ordinariate, as I sort of felt like Bishop's Finger about it.

So, once everyone has moved together is the aim eventually to make the 'Anglican' bit of the 'Anglican coetibus' a redundancy? And do the ex-Anglicans eventually move into a fuller physical assimilation (if you see what I mean!) with ordinary Catholics? No need for different liturgies, or specific categories of Catholics as in 'ex-Anglican Catholics' worshipping together as a separate entity?

Or does the Vatican foresee that there will always be Anglican groups continually wishing to convert over as groups, to Catholicism in this fashion, for whatever future reasons there may be? And that this new way of receiving new members is the way to do it?

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rugbyplayingpriest:
The real tragedy is those I see who couldn't/wouldn't join for whatever reason and who I also know would be so very much happier here. Put crudely we belong here and dont in the C of E.

At some point you are going to wake up and recognise insulting people does not win them to your point of view.

And as for this "whatever reason" nonsense. You are intelligent enough to be fully aware of the reasons. You just don't like or agree with them. Understand that people thought about it and came to a different conclusion from you. They (in their estimation) would not be "very much happier."

And as for Anglicanorum Coetibus being a
quote:
A methodology whereby a priest and a number of his people can convert as a group, staying together.
being a reason for the Ordinariate all I can say is it seems to be a crap reason as it ignores the huge amount of pain and division such conversions engender to those who do not "stay together."

Lastly, please can we stop describing the re-ordaining of more priests to the Roman Catholic church as a sign of growth. It is taking Christians out of one church and putting them in another, there is an uncharitable term for it.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
At the risk of being taken to task.......

......is it just me, or do others see the Ordinariate (at least in the UK) as a complete and nonsensical waste of time and effort?

Surely, if the C of E is Pants filled with Poo, and Rome is the only True Church, then why not do (as several of our congo have done - with some honesty and integrity, ISTM) and simply join the mainstream Roman Catholic Church?

Or am I missing something obvious and fundamental to the continuance of the True Faith?

[Confused]

I'm not being snarky - I just don't see the point of the Ordinariate.

Ian J.

I think that the answer would be that you are missing something relevant, that Catholicism's continuance is not bound to a particular rite or use. I will let folks in England speak from their experience, but in Canada we are accustomed to: a) a general division between anglophone and francophone RCs (many dioceses have anglo and franco vicariates-general, and dedicated auxiliary bishops for each group), b) a second division with ethnic and heritage language parishes (within half an hour's walk, I can attend RC services in Latin, German, Croatian, Italian, Portuguese, Tagalog, Malayalam and Polish), and c) several sui juris churches with their own hierarchies (in Ottawa alone, Latin, Ukrainian, Slovak, Melkite, Maronite, Coptic, Malankarese). Renfrew, Ontario (pop. 4500), boasts three RC parishes, French, English, and Polish.

So when someone says, go to a mainstream RC church, the answer can easily be: Which one? In this context, Anglican-use parishes are no problem. If there's a population that wants that, it seems to be fine by Benedict, and the local hierarchies appear to be supportive.

Then again, anglo-papalism never caught on here, and the Ordinariate crowd are largely those who left on account of OWP and the new services book in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and would generally qualify as Prayerbook Catholic.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:

Then again, anglo-papalism never caught on here, and the Ordinariate crowd are largely those who left on account of OWP and the new services book in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and would generally qualify as Prayerbook Catholic.

That's why there is a huge pond difference here. American and Canadian anglo-catholics seem equally at home with the 'anglo-' as well as the 'catholic' elements in their make-up. On this side of the pond, while there are 'traditional' as well as 'affirming' catholics who are happily Anglican, there was also a strong anglo-papalist element who have always been embarrassed by the 'anglo-' . It baffles me that many of these people have not joined the ordinariate, but also why those who did, couldn't just have jumped in at the deep end as Bishop's Finger suggested.

--------------------

Shire Dweller
Shipmate
# 16631

- Posted      Profile for Shire Dweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the perspective of someone who is neither pro or anti the Ordinariate:

I totally respect any Christian of any denomination that feels called to go to the local RC Church and follow the rightly rigorous process of conversion – such as these are merely following their conscience

But I speculate that many potential (but not yet) Anglican converts to the Ordinariate still have a number of Stumbling blocks for their conscience. Three of which could be:

We are The Parish TM
Anglican parishes of all stripes are used to being The Parish in that area where the 'hatches, matches and dispatches' of being CofE presents numerous easy outreach and community link opportunities. To go from a sense of being The Parish to being just another congregation (even if the self-proclaimed only correct one) will be a bit of a shock.

Church Organisation
Anglo-Catholics appear to use the relatively democratic organisation of the CofE to the full to get their particular perspective heard and understood.
But the RCC doesn't do Democracy.... This presents its own strengths and weaknesses for the RCC – but the point is, when you become a Catholic one of the things to accept is that authority is vested in the hierarchy and you wont have the influence you used to have.

Church Buildings
Parishes are not able to take their Church buildings with them – The clincher I understand is that the Catholic Hierarchy in England and Wales clearly stated “we are not in the business of acquiring property”.
I speculate that many interested parishes are not put off by CofE statements that Church buildings cannot be “converted” but that the RCC doesn't want them.

I don't hold these views as set in stone though – just speculating.

--------------------
Right around the Wrekin

Posts: 77 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:
quote:

I find that quite helpful in understanding the purpose of the Ordinariate, as I sort of felt like Bishop's Finger about it.

So, once everyone has moved together is the aim eventually to make the 'Anglican' bit of the 'Anglican coetibus' a redundancy? And do the ex-Anglicans eventually move into a fuller physical assimilation (if you see what I mean!) with ordinary Catholics? No need for different liturgies, or specific categories of Catholics as in 'ex-Anglican Catholics' worshipping together as a separate entity?

Or does the Vatican foresee that there will always be Anglican groups continually wishing to convert over as groups, to Catholicism in this fashion, for whatever future reasons there may be? And that this new way of receiving new members is the way to do it?

You are missing the point completely. There is no need for (and it contradicts the entire point of the Ordinariates) "fuller physical assimilation". These people are fully Catholic. They just happen to have a distinctive liturgical and spiritual tradition, a permanent home for which has been established under the terms of Anglicanorum coetibus.

Protestants really have a bizarre notion that the Catholic Church is monolithically Novus Ordo Roman Rite. [Confused]

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

Posts: 647 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by CL:

Protestants really have a bizarre notion that the Catholic Church is monolithically Novus Ordo Roman Rite. [Confused]

I don't think so. But the majority of (English) ordinariate clergy were using that rite before their 'conversion', so why do they need a special Anglican-flavoured bit of the Catholic Church?

Though it would be interesting to discover if they have become more Anglican, not less, since becoming Catholics.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Though it would be interesting to discover if they have become more Anglican, not less, since becoming Catholics.

This.

My understanding at present is that despite all the talk of Anglican Patrimony the irony of Ordinariate members is they never used Common Worship (or BCP) favouring the Roman Rite and now they HAVE to use the Missal.

Patrimony I see no Patrimony.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

--------------------

Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Australian Ordinariates appear to be all but invisible. I think they may have a slightly stronger TAC flavour than in the UK. As far as I am aware no one of any significance went across.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
But the majority of (English) ordinariate clergy were using that rite before their 'conversion', so why do they need a special Anglican-flavoured bit of the Catholic Church?

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
My understanding at present is that despite all the talk of Anglican Patrimony the irony of Ordinariate members is they never used Common Worship (or BCP) favouring the Roman Rite and now they HAVE to use the Missal.

[Confused] I've been doing a bit of googling trying to get some concrete idea of what the Anglican patrimony is in this context, and it is like trying to plait mist.

I understand the point of groups of people joining the RCC as groups, thanks Fifi, but I still don't see why all the effort and expense of setting up Ordinariates was necessary.

quote:
Augustine the Aleut says it just happens in Canada within the existing structures:
I think that the answer would be that you are missing something relevant, that Catholicism's continuance is not bound to a particular rite or use. I will let folks in England speak from their experience, but in Canada we are accustomed to: a) a general division between anglophone and francophone RCs (many dioceses have anglo and franco vicariates-general, and dedicated auxiliary bishops for each group), b) a second division with ethnic and heritage language parishes (within half an hour's walk, I can attend RC services in Latin, German, Croatian, Italian, Portuguese, Tagalog, Malayalam and Polish), and c) several sui juris churches with their own hierarchies (in Ottawa alone, Latin, Ukrainian, Slovak, Melkite, Maronite, Coptic, Malankarese). Renfrew, Ontario (pop. 4500), boasts three RC parishes, French, English, and Polish.

So when someone says, go to a mainstream RC church, the answer can easily be: Which one? In this context, Anglican-use parishes are no problem. If there's a population that wants that, it seems to be fine by Benedict, and the local hierarchies appear to be supportive.

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Posts: 600 | From: Cloud Cuckoo Land | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would wonder whether, from a purely psychological standpoint, the saying "It is better to travel hopefully than to have arrived" may be relevant to the Ordinariates and the folk who have gone into them. It is much different to be a dissenter within one's former ecclesial community than to be simply a new kid and initiate within the larger, more hierarchically structured Latin Rite Catholic Church into which these folk have now been "absorbed". I would submit that this transition from dogged dissenter to minority initiate - suddenly relieved of an axe to grind - involves a major change not so much in identity as such but rather of the investment of psychological energy. After initial elation, some sense of deflation and directionlessness would hardly be surprising. The evolution, survival or demise of groups within the original "Continuing" secessions from North American Anglicanism during the late 1970s might be instructive in foreseeing different scenarios for how Ordinariate parishes will survive,adapt, thrive or wither.

[ 09. September 2012, 11:40: Message edited by: Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras ]

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

I'm certain sure that your understanding is incorrect. Whilst the majority appear to have used the Roman Missal for Eucharistic liturgy before swimming the Tiber, the hymnody was (and remains) noticeable different from that used in vanilla Catholic parishes, as does the use of choral music. The public celebration of the office, with or without choral music, is also very distinct. What preaching I have heard in Ordinariate churches is certainly different from my experience of Catholicism more widely: longer sermons drawing on a different hinterland of spiritual writers. The rites in the soon to be published Customary seem to this Catholic to have a distinctly Anglican feel, whilst the provision for the role of lay people in the governance of the at all levels is certainly different from the Roman norm. Whether that constitutes a distinctive patrimony and one that is 'Anglican', perhaps I'm not the best one to judge. It has, however, clearly enriched the Catholic Church in England - more particularly Southern England - albeit that it still early days.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four questions:-

1. Does this mean that the Ordinariate has PCCs?
2. Does it have many lay people?
3. If the style of choral music really is 'the distinctive feature', is this enough to sustain an identity? And will it mean the Ordinariate
will be forever frozen in the musical styles of 2012 rather as some of the presbyterian break away groups are frozen in the style of 1670?
4. Do Ordinariate parishes use modern music, of the sort fairly popular in less extreme Anglo-Catholic parishes? Or are they actually musically stuck in 1952?

Some may regard this as a tangent, and others may be surprised to hear this, but over the years, I've encountered quite a lot of seepage in the opposite direction, including priests. Although I agree with +London on use in his diocese of the Novus Ordo, would an alternative be to authorise it under stringent restraints, to provide a reverse ordinariate.

Only former Catholic clergy, and possibly female former lay Catholics who had been subsequently been ordained as Anglicans would be permitted to celebrate. The Novus Ordo would have to be altered slightly to be compatible with an Anglo-Catholic understanding of the Eucharist and to sound less like a literal translation of Latin - e.g. by reverting to 'cup' and not 'chalice'. It would have its own songbook, with specifically Catholic 1970s guitar music. Graham Kendrick and the Gettys would be forbidden. Would there be any demand for such a thing?

By the way, before anyone thinks I'm expressing my own prejudices, I like the Gettys' music a lot, and quite a lot of Kendrick as long as there isn't too much of it.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Thyme. My point was that, with our existing situation, an ordinariate is not a big deal, especially as it is located in an existing Catholic church. In Canada, much more energy has gone into the erection of the new Chaldean Catholic diocese as this adds a (I think) sixth church in addition to the Latins (the mainstream RCs, in the minds of many).

As Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras suggests, most of their energy is likely going into adjusting to their new situation. Unlike England, where most ordinariati are from official Anglicanism, the North Americans are coming in from a mess (literally and figuratively) of continuing churches, sometimes characterized as an alphabet soup brewed in a snakepit, and a settling-in process will likely take a while. After a few years on a roller coaster, learning to breathe normally takes time.

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CL:
You are missing the point completely. There is no need for (and it contradicts the entire point of the Ordinariates) "fuller physical assimilation". These people are fully Catholic. They just happen to have a distinctive liturgical and spiritual tradition, a permanent home for which has been established under the terms of Anglicanorum coetibus.

Well, gee, thanks for answering my genuine questions. [Paranoid] Personally, I think it's bizarre that my questions should be considered bizarre!

I also find it bizarre (though not necessarily in a bad way) that one Church communion should apparently create a virtual enclave to make it possible for entire groups and ordained priests of another Church communion to convert to that first Church's communion but apparently still maintaining some fundamental essence of the second Church's communion, which was presumably not essential to the first Church Communion!

Presumably there must also be some kind of future envisaged for such an enclave, so it seems reasonable to wonder how that works. Especially if the current creation was in response to particular current events. And to also wonder what the implications are for those ex-Anglicans who became Catholics with their group, rather than individually, worshipping together in their particular way.

I appreciate that there is more than one way to be a Roman Catholic liturgically, I really do. I'm just curious about how an ordinariate of this nature works in practice, and in the long-term. I may be a Protestant and a very happily committed Anglican with not the least inclination to move elsewhere; but I think it's okay to know as much about this phenomenon as possible, isn't it?

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Four answers:-
quote:
1. Does this mean that the Ordinariate has PCCs?
The functions of the Finance Committees and Pastoral Councils can be very similar.

quote:
2. Does it have many lay people?
I think not.

quote:
3. If the style of choral music really is 'the distinctive feature', is this enough to sustain an identity? And will it mean the Ordinariate
will be forever frozen in the musical styles of 2012 rather as some of the presbyterian break away groups are frozen in the style of 1670?

I didn't say 'the distinctive feature'. I listed it among a number of other things that seemed to me to be distinctive.

quote:
4. Do Ordinariate parishes use modern music, of the sort fairly popular in less extreme Anglo-Catholic parishes? Or are they actually musically stuck in 1952?
They don't seem musically stuck anywhere to me.

quote:
Some may regard this as a tangent, and others may be surprised to hear this, but over the years, I've encountered quite a lot of seepage in the opposite direction, including priests. Although I agree with +London on use in his diocese of the Novus Ordo, would an alternative be to authorise it under stringent restraints, to provide a reverse ordinariate.

Only former Catholic clergy, and possibly female former lay Catholics who had been subsequently been ordained as Anglicans would be permitted to celebrate. The Novus Ordo would have to be altered slightly to be compatible with an Anglo-Catholic understanding of the Eucharist and to sound less like a literal translation of Latin - e.g. by reverting to 'cup' and not 'chalice'. It would have its own songbook, with specifically Catholic 1970s guitar music. Graham Kendrick and the Gettys would be forbidden. Would there be any demand for such a thing?

By the way, before anyone thinks I'm expressing my own prejudices, I like the Gettys' music a lot, and quite a lot of Kendrick as long as there isn't too much of it.

I have a list of those who might be delighted to avail themselves of your kind offer. I have a slightly longer list of those who I might be delighted to send you. I know many Anglicans were delighted to see the back of a number of those who joined the Ordinariate: it cuts both ways.

--------------------

Fifi
Shipmate
# 8151

- Posted      Profile for Fifi   Email Fifi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trisagion:
I have a list of those who might be delighted to avail themselves of your kind offer. I have a slightly longer list of those who I might be delighted to send you. I know many Anglicans were delighted to see the back of a number of those who joined the Ordinariate: it cuts both ways.

[Overused]
Posts: 591 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

- Posted      Profile for Thyme     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@Augustine the Aleut - I don't understand any of it, and I think I will stop trying. My understanding or lack of it won't make any difference so I'm probably better off doing my knitting. Someone here has a sig about being bewildered in a much more informed way than before which is how I feel. [Smile]

--------------------
The Church in its own bubble has become, at best the guardian of the value system of the nation’s grandparents, and at worst a den of religious anoraks defined by defensiveness, esoteric logic and discrimination. Bishop of Buckingham's blog

Solly
Shipmate
# 11919

- Posted      Profile for Solly     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
They just happen to have a distinctive liturgical and spiritual tradition, a permanent home for which has been established under the terms of Anglicanorum coetibus
But do they have a 'distinctive liturgical and spiritual tradition'? I always regarded myself as an Anglo-Catholic until I went to Mass at S Bartholomew's in Brighton: it was like watching Three Little Maids From School from The Mikado. I was transfixed - and bored because I like to participate in the Mass. That is not my dls tradition although I surmise it is RPP's. I shouldn't think it appeals to many RC's either - unless they have a passion for light opera. If all ACs defected to the Ordinariate they would not take a shared dls tradition with them. [Confused]
Posts: 70 | From: Sussex UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

@Solly, you don't know RPP in IRL, do you? He's about as far from Three Little Maids as you could imagine. Your post seems characteristic of the Anglican responses to the Ordinariate on these boards: based largely on conjecture and larded with plenty of bad grace. I suspect RPP might turn up at some time to give his own perspective but until then it's worth noting that the extreme GIN and lace brigade did not, in the main, join the Ordinariate

[ 09. September 2012, 18:55: Message edited by: Trisagion ]

--------------------

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trisagion, it's not too late to take 'em. Please? Just make us an offer...
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by Thyme:
@Augustine the Aleut - I don't understand any of it, and I think I will stop trying. My understanding or lack of it won't make any difference so I'm probably better off doing my knitting. Someone here has a sig about being bewildered in a much more informed way than before which is how I feel. [Smile]

@Thyme-- I am sorry if I contributed to the confusion-- I was trying to illustrate that there was no Romish Borg to which all must be assimilated, and that the Ordinariate was an option which respected a certain particular tradition. Trying to do so in a brief few lines likely didn't help.

However, there are better ways to deal with a Sunday afternoon or evening than think of the Ordinariate. I have just spent a cheerful hour assisting a friend selling odd organic vegetables and I feel quite fulfilled. There was no mention of the Ordinariate, although I did a quick reference to the Nativity of Our Lady.

@Trisagion- do note that there are different Anglican responses to the Ordinariate. Solly is one, I may be another.

Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

quote:
@Trisagion- do note that there are different Anglican responses to the Ordinariate. Solly is one, I may be another.

Indeed, but if this thread is anything to go by you appear to be a minority of one.

--------------------

MarsmanTJ
Shipmate
# 8689

- Posted      Profile for MarsmanTJ   Email MarsmanTJ   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Fortunately I was not drinking anything when I read those first two sentences, otherwise I would be shopping for a new keyboard... I know the feeling!

I must admit that a couple of local fairly well-connected lay catholics who I am fairly close to said that they were worried that many joining the Ordinariate were 'exactly the kind of people we don't want' (that is, people on the CofE mental second list...) and I'll admit, I can understand their fears.

Interestingly, they discovered to their pleasure that many of the Ordinariate folk they met were genuinely enthusiastic about becoming Catholic and they are delighted that they've joined the CC. The rest, well lets just say that one of them said that his 'fears were fully justified', but he suspects that dealing with the Catholic hierarchy will be enough to send them scuttling back to being Anglican.

Now I know the plural of anecdote isn't data, but my suspicion (based on what I hear) is that many of the Ordinariate are busy being Catholic and enjoying the fact that many of their friends are with them, and they don't have to deal with the (IMO) horribly bland Catholic music found at your average NO mass. The music alone is enough that I would never attend any Catholic parish in these parts....

I also suspect the malcontents have got the blues, but were the kind of people that would've got the blues, and will church-hop while loudly denouncing the Ordinariate and making loud, mostly spurious comments with a tiny grain of truth and the christian media will jump all over it as 'evidence that sheep-stealing doesn't work' (when the Ordinariate is nothing of the kind) when the reality is that malcontents are malcontents and you really shouldn't listen to them.

[ 09. September 2012, 19:59: Message edited by: MarsmanTJ ]

Thyme
Shipmate
# 12360

@Augustine the Aleut: thanks

--------------------

Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
quote:

Indeed, but if this thread is anything to go by you appear to be a minority of one.
Forum posters (what a friend calls thread-bunnies) are their own demographic and perhaps not entirely representative of a wider population. I am not unfamiliar with the sentiment of being in a minority, and take satisfaction in knowing that, while my detractors are off at chain restaurants, my table features tomates farcies légčres and a half-bottle of Montsant.
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not an Anglican, but I spent 5 years in a CofE boarding school and my father is very active in his local parish. So I have been to *alot* of Anglican services of various kinds.

There is definitely a distinctive Anglican sub-culture - though when I first went to an English language RC service I was surprised at how similar it seemed.

I understand the going across in groups, as a concept, but I am not sure it is/was wise. One of the things many have struggled with, is how people could say they couldn't be Anglican in conscience - but apparently stayed in place after coming to that realisation. Surely, if you are converted in faith - you convert.

Particularly if the doctrine you are converting to holds you can't experience the fullness of grace in your current location. In other words, I could understand hanging around for extra negotiations if you were converting from Orthodox to RC, or from Methodist to CofE - but not from CofE or Methodist to Orthodox or Roman Catholic, hope that's clear ?

I also don't understand why the RC church couldn't simply have permitted itself to use Wesleyan hymns or nicer organ settings, or what ever aesthetics it liked the look of really.

[ 09. September 2012, 20:46: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rugbyplayingpriest
Shipmate
# 9809

- Posted      Profile for rugbyplayingpriest   Author's homepage   Email rugbyplayingpriest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Three little maids? Err Trisagion is correct that is NOT me! Indeed I am far from normative Anglo- Catholic type...

I think part of the problem on this thread is a massive misconception of what Catholicism is by those not in it. The Anglican brain sees everything in congregationalist terms- what is it like there? But in truth the beauty of the Ordinariate is having moved from the ghetto to the mainstream whilst not abandoning our identity.

Last week Archbishop Peter Smith thanked us for having managed to both remain faithful to the Ordinariate and yet also help the diocese. Unlike the person who asked 'why didn't we become normal Catholics' he 'gets' it- we did! we are part of the normative body and not aside from it. But like the franciscans and Dominicans et al we bring something distinctive to the party.

What and why? Well ponder the reason out patrons are Newman (one who move from and into) and OLW (one who grounds us in a pre-reformation way). Give it 100 years and the current Pope will be hailed a genius. He is seeking to work at unity and again, if you refuse to see the importance of this, you will miss the point

Posts: 130 | From: Kent | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:
quote:

I'd like to know where the 'bad grace' was in my questions.

I was netural, if not hopeful, about the Ordinariate. I didn't see it as an opportunity to off-load embarrassing tat queens or undesirables (whoever they are). Losing fellow Anglicans - even to another part of the Christian Church - is a real form of bereavement in some ways. Though I've always wished Ordinariate members all the best.

I tried to express the questions I've had as clearly as I could. If I offended anyone, I really didn't mean to.

However, apparently, I'm just a Protestant with 'bizarre' ideas, offending sensitive souls with 'bad grace' and 'conjecture' [Paranoid] . Guess that puts me in my place; maybe I'd just better keep my queries about the Catholic Church for my own Catholic friends - lay and clergy.

rugbyplayingpriest
Shipmate
# 9809

- Posted      Profile for rugbyplayingpriest   Author's homepage   Email rugbyplayingpriest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other point worth making regards ecumenism.

Through the Ordinariates Pope Benedict is moving the debate forward. Instead of endless sandwich suppers and watered down services that do not really move things forwards in a meaningful way- the Ordinariate witnesses to what is needed for true unity to occur. What gathers people around an altar is a shared proclamation of truth.

That is not the same as uniformity- hence we retain Anglican customs and patrimony. Diversity is good. But doctrinally we need to come together- hence we all accept the magisterium.

It really is clever. And, in fact, the whole C of E could accept the offer and heal the reformation rift. What stops people is Protestant views. Fine. But no longer can it be claimed that Rome is not opening the door.

All interesting stuff. Not least for a communion struggling/unable to hold even it's own members around one altar. The reason being there is no shared proclamation of truth.

Posts: 130 | From: Kent | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's certainly made Rome's attitude to ecumenism clearer: 'Look, we're perfectly happy for you to keep some of your practices and patrimony. In fact, we think we'd all be enriched by you doing so. All we're asking is that you believe what we believe and accept our authority, and then we can all be one. Simples!'

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

quote:

It really is clever. And, in fact, the whole C of E could accept the offer and heal the reformation rift. What stops people is Protestant views. Fine. But no longer can it be claimed that Rome is not opening the door.

Two points. From the point of view of many Christians, the Reformation(s) were not merely a regrettable incident brought about by a handful of rebellious sons of the Church family who didn't know when to keep their mouths shut; it was essential for the integrity of the work of the Holy Spirit within the universal Body of Christ. The fact that significant sections of the Church worldwide do not see the reformation as a 'rift to be healed' but as something to be circumspectly grateful for, is really a bigger problem for the RCC than for non-Catholics.

Secondly, to paraphrase your post, 'we'd all be happy Roman Catholics by now if it weren't for those pesky Protestants.' Er... what an ecumenically progressive attitude. Except, of course, it's not.

Yes, the Pope is holding the door open. The door to his own Church and his own authority. Fair enough. It wouldn't make a lick of sense for him to do anything else. But while it may seem inexplicable or sinfully ignorant, nevertheless, at least some of those of us who do not seek to put ourselves under the particular authority of the RCC are very happy with that situation and believe ourselves to be in a better place, every bit as much as those who do go to Rome. We can even live with the idea that our Catholic brethren may consider us deluded and doctrinally inferior, for being so.

Though it's probably too much to expect us to be grateful for your attempting to point this out to us at every opportunity! Albeit so ecumenically, of course. [Big Grin]

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
From the point of view of many Christians, the Reformation(s) were not merely a regrettable incident brought about by a handful of rebellious sons of the Church family who didn't know when to keep their mouths shut; it was essential for the integrity of the work of the Holy Spirit within the universal Body of Christ. The fact that significant sections of the Church worldwide do not see the reformation as a 'rift to be healed' but as something to be circumspectly grateful for, is really a bigger problem for the RCC than for non-Catholics.

I agree with most of your post, Anselmina. But there is no contradiction between welcoming the insights of the Reformation and acknowledging (in the circumstances) its necessity, and yet regretting the division that it brought about. Of course it is a rift to be healed, just not at the cost of principles on either side. I get worried when some Protestants appear unconcerned about disunity.

--------------------

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would call the reformation a regrettable necessity, and the schism that resulted as regrettable but unnecessary. A little humility from the Pope as to the problems within the church and a little magnaminity towards those who had pointed them out would have healed a lot of wounds. Saying "my way or the highway" isn't ecumenism.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

- Posted      Profile for CL     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
It's certainly made Rome's attitude to ecumenism clearer: 'Look, we're perfectly happy for you to keep some of your practices and patrimony. In fact, we think we'd all be enriched by you doing so. All we're asking is that you believe what we believe and accept our authority, and then we can all be one. Simples!'

Essentially yes. Rome has finally realised that ecumenism should be on a highest common denominator basis, not a lowest.

--------------------
"Even if Catholics faithful to Tradition are reduced to a handful, they are the ones who are the true Church of Jesus Christ." - Athanasius of Alexandria

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Anglican brain sees everything in congregationalist terms...

Is this statement like a bad punch line to the joke that starts out, "When they were handing out brains..."?

[ 10. September 2012, 17:53: Message edited by: The Silent Acolyte ]

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
CL
Shipmate
# 16145

quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
I would call the reformation a regrettable necessity, and the schism that resulted as regrettable but unnecessary. A little humility from the Pope as to the problems within the church and a little magnaminity towards those who had pointed them out would have healed a lot of wounds. Saying "my way or the highway" isn't ecumenism.

Your history could use some work. Also I believe Chesterton said it best; that while the reformers may have for the most part been right about what was wrong, they were wrong about what was right.

--------------------

Vaticanchic
Shipmate
# 13869

- Posted      Profile for Vaticanchic   Email Vaticanchic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The massive proportion of receptions to the Ordinariate being clergy speaks for itself, and for the nature/purpose of the venture from the AC point of view. I don't think Rome quite understood this, but I could be wrong.

Fair play to the clergy who have instead gone through the existing diocesan systems, risking non-selection.

--------------------
"Sink, Burn or Take Her a Prize"

Posts: 697 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rather suspect we may see two streams of liturgical and parochial life in the Ordinariates world-wide. In the case of parishes that were able to leave with their property - e.g. Mount Calvary, Baltimore - and the well-established and already prospering Anglican Use/Special Pastoral Provision parishes in North America (of which there are VERY few), there may well be vigorous, thriving expressions of Anglican Patrimony (recognising that some but not all of the existing Anglican Use places will join the Ordinariate of the Chair of St Peter -- of two biggish Anglican Use places in Texas, I understand that one has many parishioners who are ineligible for the Ordinariate, not having originally been Episcopalians). In England, where no Ordinariate group will be able to take real property, I'm rather doubtful of the long-term survival of the endeavour, especially given that these groups were mostly all using the authorised RC eucharistic liturgy already -- not so much Anglican Patrimony to preserve anyway, though I appreciate that others here have raised points about aspects of Anglican Patrimony outside the BCP/CW liturgical tradition.

I also imagine that in the USA, some Ordinariate parishes may benefit from the largesse of wealthy benefactors. I somehow doubt that will be so much the case in England and Wales.

As to other places where Ordinariates are being established, e.g. Australia, I've no sense of how successful the ventures will be either preserving Anglican Patrimony or even getting off the ground and surviving.

The attitude of TEC's hierarchy toward en masse Tiber-swimmers seems to be different than the attitude toward schismatic Anglican groups, so there is a better chance of some leave-takers reaching a property settlement or possibly benefiting from redundant church facilities.

Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vaticanchic:
The massive proportion of receptions to the Ordinariate being clergy speaks for itself, and for the nature/purpose of the venture from the AC point of view. I don't think Rome quite understood this, but I could be wrong.

Fair play to the clergy who have instead gone through the existing diocesan systems, risking non-selection.

Almost completely wrong, I'm afraid.

First, "the massive proportion of receptions to the Ordinariate being clergy" makes it sound as if the majority of "ordinariti" are clerics - which is of course ridiculous. But perhaps you didn't mean to imply that.

Secondly, all Anglican clerics seeking admission to Catholic orders risk non-selection, Ordinariate-bound or otherwise. I know very few of the ordiariate crowd, but the one I do personally know who submitted his papers to Rome for consideration has been declined.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
First, "the massive proportion of receptions to the Ordinariate being clergy" makes it sound as if the majority of "ordinariti" are clerics - which is of course ridiculous. But perhaps you didn't mean to imply that.
You know exactly what was meant.

Of course there are more lay conversions than clerical. I would estimate about 100 clergy and 1000 lay. So the proportion of clerical or lay conversions set against the usual proportion of lay to clerical in a parish is way out of kilter. There are proportionally more clerics.

The Ordinariate clergy also has a much higher age profile than the C of E, being mostly pensioners.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

--------------------

Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

quote:
quote:
You know exactly what was meant.
Actually, Pyx_e, I genuinely didn't, and at first read it as suggesting the majority were clerics. Scout's honour. On reflection, I realised that it probably wasn't meant to suggest that (hence my qualification) but I still think it ambiguously phrased. I am not now nor have I ever been an ordinariteeny.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I would estimate about 100 clergy and 1000 lay. So the proportion of clerical or lay conversions set against the usual proportion of lay to clerical in a parish is way out of kilter. There are proportionally more clerics.

The Ordinariate clergy also has a much higher age profile than the C of E, being mostly pensioners.

Fly Safe, Pyx_e

Perhaps SAGA could instead charter a large cruise ship so they could sail around the world ministering to each other.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vaticanchic:
The massive proportion of receptions to the Ordinariate being clergy speaks for itself ...

Actually, it doesn't, at least not to this outsider.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016