homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Dawkins Theistic Probability Scale (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Dawkins Theistic Probability Scale
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Betts:
I think the only reason for the "Dawkins' Scale" is to compile statistics in order to pour scorn on people of Faith. Instead of giving him the answers he wants, why don't we turn it back on him - why? What is he trying to prove? Is he hoping to use his findings to remove privilidges for religious people and promote his secular (anti-religeous) agenda?

Yes, every single thing Dawkins says or does must have some terrible ulterior motive, no doubt related to bringing about an Atheist New World Order and sending all the Theist Sheeple to concentration camps. [Roll Eyes]

He's describing belief in slightly more detail that "I believe" or "I don't believe" - that's it. But if it bothers you so much, you can read all about it near the beginning of The God Delusion. If you can pick the book up without it burning you.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It matters like hell to me, which is perhaps why I ask it of myself.

eta - answer to Angloid.

[ 26. September 2012, 16:01: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mind the scale so much as I do my not being able to explain myself very well... Dawkins, poor fellow, at least helps us by causing us to think once in a while...

ETA: thread's moving fast, Answered to Aumbry way back there...

[ 26. September 2012, 16:03: Message edited by: TomOfTarsus ]

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
I know philosophers differ about this (and I'm not one either), but it has been said that 'God exists' is a meaningless expression whether one believes in God or not.

I tend to be fairly ignostic myself, but I don't have any difficulty answering the question based on the concepts of God I'm familiar with. I'd have thought on a board like this there would be a general consensus about what we mean by "God", even if it's rather tricky to pin down in watertight legalese.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
Of course, these are some of the ideas which Prof. Dawkins has brushed aside, as he has a rather hubristic sense that as a scientist, he should be able to dispose of a few philosophical arguments in double quick time.

This. He has the same flaw that Carl Sagan had: he is a brilliant scientist who thinks he is a brilliant, and yet he is actually a mediocre, philosopher.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Inger
Shipmate
# 15285

- Posted      Profile for Inger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aumbry:
The scale is meaningless because the word God is not defined. As Dawkins is a keen Darwinian is he using God as shorthand for creator? But does the creator have to be a god?

I don't see any need for Dawkins to define the word 'god'. But I'm surprised that no contributor here seems to have considered it necessary to define their own understanding of what sort of god they believe in.

If I have to answer I would want to specify as follows:

Some unimaginable, unknowable force, way beyond human understanding: I would say I'm somewhere between 4 and 5.

A particular named god: somewhere between 6 and 7.

In other words, since I can't explain how the universe came about, I obviously must consider the possibility of a creator of some kind. But I find it pretty impossible to believe that such a creator is even remotely similar to any personal god.

Posts: 332 | From: Newcastle, UK | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
quote:
I think the only reason for the "Dawkins' Scale" is to compile statistics in order to pour scorn on people of Faith. Instead of giving him the answers he wants, why don't we turn it back on him - why? What is he trying to prove? Is he hoping to use his findings to remove privilidges for religious people and promote his secular (anti-religeous) agenda?

Yes, every single thing Dawkins says or does must have some terrible ulterior motive, no doubt related to bringing about an Atheist New World Order and sending all the Theist Sheeple to concentration camps. [Roll Eyes]

He's describing belief in slightly more detail that "I believe" or "I don't believe" - that's it. But if it bothers you so much, you can read all about it near the beginning of The God Delusion. If you can pick the book up without it burning you.

Well, it's in that book that you see the full glory of Dawkins' confusion between naturalistic science and philosophy.

He keeps using terms such as 'complexity', 'probability', 'hypothesis', which presumably he is using in a naturalistic or scientific sense, and then he applies them to God.

Hang on. If we take the scientific hypothesis idea - such hypotheses are framed against a background of methodological naturalism. Well, if they are not, perhaps he needs to specify what background he is using.

But how can you offer to investigate God against such a background, since God is usually described (outside Mormonism), as something non-natural, supernatural, trans-natural, immaterial, or whatever.

So it seems to me, he is asking, 'Given naturalism, how likely is God?' Or if you like, 'Given materialism, how likely is the immaterial?'

This just seems very mixed up.

And I think he is confused about probability, which I suspect he is muddling up with credulity.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
[QUOTE]You could be anywhere on the scale. It's asking what I thought was a very simple question - "how sure are you that God actually is real?". To put it in terms Puddleglum might understand, "yes, that's very noble, and I get your point, but how sure are you that Aslan is real, and how much do you just hope he is because a world with him in it seems better than one without him in it?"

I am, in all honesty, amazed how many people are expressing difficulty with that question. I can understand not thinking it's the most important question, but surely it's one we all ponder? Isn't it?

Okay, if I must try to fit myself into the scheme, today I'm 1.5. Two days ago I was probably a 3. Two weeks ago I was at 5. I'm all over the place. Sometimes even in the course of one day It might be much easier to be at 6 or 7 all the time. I also wonder if God believes in me

Dawkins' scheme is crisp and comforting to the intellect but fails with emotions and life experiences. IMHO.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
aumbry
Shipmate
# 436

- Posted      Profile for aumbry         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The scale is meaningless because the word God is not defined. As Dawkins is a keen Darwinian is he using God as shorthand for creator? But does the creator have to be a god?

He's talking about a God. Any God. As opposed to gods, in general, not existing at all.

Now are you going to tell me why you mangled my name to include "Backstabber" in the caravans thread?

Merely a malapropism - don't take it personally.
Posts: 3869 | From: Quedlinburg | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'd have thought on a board like this there would be a general consensus about what we mean by "God", even if it's rather tricky to pin down in watertight legalese.

As I said, I'm not a philosopher. But as I understand it, the problem is not with definitions of 'God', but the word 'exist'. A thing can exist, a person can exist, a supernatural being can exist. But God is existence itself; God does not 'exist'.

But my brain hurts.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a 1 on the existence of God, and a 2 on the existence of the Christian God.

I indeed know that God exists, since this can and has been proven by philosophical argument beyond reasonable doubt (in my judgement). Whereas my still fairly firm belief in the Christian God is a rather complicated and personal matter, which I can "reason out" only to a certain degree.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a further point about probability - in 'The God Delusion', Prof Dawkins makes this point:

'My name for the statistical demonstration that God almost certainly does not exist is the Ultimate Boeing 747 Gambit'. (p. 137, Black Swan).

Thus, Prof Dawkins himself cites statistics in his definition of improbability.

As far as I can see, he does not demonstrate this, and I think there are good reasons, as I outlined above, that God is not a natural phenomenon, and therefore cannot be computed as a probable or improbable naturalistic outcome.

I think therefore that there is an equivocation on the words 'probable' and 'improbable.

--------------------

the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been reading this academic paper (pdf) about church leaders who no longer believe what-their-parishioners-think-they-believe. There is an interesting overlap with this concept of a continuum between belief and unbelief.

I suppose my question is about the point at which unbelief become untenable - particularly for clergy/leaders.

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

He's talking about a God. Any God. As opposed to gods, in general, not existing at all.

Now are you going to tell me why you mangled my name to include "Backstabber" in the caravans thread?

Merely a malapropism - don't take it personally.
Thanks. I can be a little sensitive over some of the things that made me leave last time.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks. I can be a little sensitive over some of the things that made me leave last time.

Don't go, Karl. It's good to have you back!

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I think there's more truth in that statement than you'd like to believe, even though you've tried your damnest to make it sound as potty as you can.
quote:
No, I don't think so. I have a pretty good idea where your friend is coming from, so I'll find more profitable things to read.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Grokesx
Shipmate
# 17221

- Posted      Profile for Grokesx   Email Grokesx   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
@ quetzalcoatl

Regarding the probability thing - surely there's a significant strand in Christian Apologetics - the Evidentialist variety - that uses this approach. Throwing out a scientific(ish), empirical form of reasoning in the sphere of religion means you're disregarding a long line back from Richard Swinburne through to Joseph Butler by way of William Paley and many more.

--------------------
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong. H. L. Mencken

Posts: 373 | From: Derby, UK | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm interested in the 1s. I just can't imagine never thinking "this really could just be a load of cobblers I'm emotionally attached to because it seems better than a godless universe with oblivion at the end of life."

quote:
My question again to the 1s is - why are you so certain - I genuinely want to know, because if God is real then I'd like to know it for certain myself. Years of agnostic Christianity weigh heavily, but I cannot, from where I stand, see an intellectually honest alternative.
I'm a 1, but I suspect that we're coming from such different places that I'm not sure how I could explain it. I personally find G-d terrifying, not comforting, so it's difficult to identify with the feeling that maybe it's all so much wish-fulfillment that I'm emotionally attached to. I do, however, understand what people are getting at by saying that the terms of the question/scale are all wrong - I'm as sure that G-d exists as I am that reality exists and I'm not just a brain in a vat or fuel for the matrix.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
marzipan
Shipmate
# 9442

- Posted      Profile for marzipan   Author's homepage   Email marzipan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God: 2 to 2.5
Reality: 5

--------------------
formerly cheesymarzipan.
Now containing 50% less cheese

Posts: 917 | From: nowhere in particular | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
I do, however, understand what people are getting at by saying that the terms of the question/scale are all wrong - I'm as sure that G-d exists as I am that reality exists and I'm not just a brain in a vat or fuel for the matrix.

That doesn't mean the scale's wrong; it just means that you're a 1 on it, as you correctly identified.

--------------------

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

Because I cannot discover any effective reason to believe that “supernature” and/or god(s) exists – but am aware that my being unable to discern something does not mean that it does not exist.

Of course, if it does exist and doesn’t/can’t interact with “the natural world” it is irrelevant and might as well not exist.

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid
As I said, I'm not a philosopher. But as I understand it, the problem is not with definitions of 'God', but the word 'exist'. A thing can exist, a person can exist, a supernatural being can exist. But God is existence itself; God does not 'exist'.

Are you suggesting that 'existence' can exist by itself, independently of any thing, person or supernatural being? If so, I find that inconceivable. What could bare existence possibly be like?

'Existence' is essential to anything which is real, and cannot be an accidental property. Therefore God's existence is part of his essence.

The only way that God's existence is not essential is if 'God' includes the mere 'idea of God', which can exist independently of the reality to which it refers.

This however raises an interesting question in both ontology and epistemology. Can certain ideas only exist if they reflect the reality to which they refer? In other words, if God did not actually exist, could we ever conceive of such a being? Why did such an idea ever enter the human mind (or should I say, brain) within a godless universe?

Of course, the philosophical naturalist will concoct some kind of convoluted explanation that tries to construct God as a projection of various relationships and desires among homo whatevers in the great scheme of evolution. This, of course, is pure speculation, for which there is not the slightest scrap of historical and documentary evidence.

But, as I intimated in an earlier post on this thread, nature is restricted in the kinds of ideas that it can generate (if it is capable of generating any ideas at all), due to the fact that ideas have to arise for a utilitarian reason. Ideas cannot be divorced from the process of natural selection, if that is seen as the only means of human development. Natural selection is, of course, entirely utilitarian. It seems remarkably strange and implausible (and therefore highly improbable) that a grand machine (which is what the closed system of nature is within a godless universe) could produce components that are unhappy with being entirely part of that machine. These components somehow develop ideas - which must have originated deterministically from the machine - that make them feel that there is more to their being than the factors which brought them into being. Such dissatisfaction with the way things are suggests the influence of something from outside the machine. But why would a reality (the closed system of nature) cause effects (certain ideas in the human brain) that bear no relation whatsoever to any characteristic of that reality? Such a possibility is clearly a contradiction, and I suggest that naturalists tend to explain this by question begging: "these ideas have come into being, so that shows that nature had a way of doing it."

It is far more plausible and probable that the idea of God actually reflects an objective reality that has influenced the human mind. (In fact, I would suggest that merely "influenced" is rather a weak term in this context.)

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Grokesx:
@ quetzalcoatl

Regarding the probability thing - surely there's a significant strand in Christian Apologetics - the Evidentialist variety - that uses this approach. Throwing out a scientific(ish), empirical form of reasoning in the sphere of religion means you're disregarding a long line back from Richard Swinburne through to Joseph Butler by way of William Paley and many more.

So you think that a naturalistic 'theory of God' is possible? Well, obviously it is - it's called Mormonism. But the standard Christian view has been that God is 'without body, parts, or passions'.

--------------------

windsofchange
Shipmate
# 13000

- Posted      Profile for windsofchange   Author's homepage   Email windsofchange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been on every point in that scale at one time or another, including within the past 24 hours.

--------------------
"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on." (owner of Coney Island Freak Show, upon learning someone outbid him for a 5-legged puppy)

Posts: 153 | From: Reseda, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:
The question is whether God is part of reality, not whether reality exists.

As Angloid has said previously, God is reality. God is not part of reality.
And you're STILL begging the question! If God exists, then he is reality. If he doesn't, then he isn't. You cannot use your conclusion "God is reality" to answer the question "Does God exist?"
I reverse the statements. If reality exists, then God exists. Reality could not exist without God.

I can't conceive how it could.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:
The question is whether God is part of reality, not whether reality exists.

As Angloid has said previously, God is reality. God is not part of reality.
Isn't that Pantheism? You're doing well Evensong - that's two heresies in one week! [Big Grin] (the other was Nestorianism)
No sweetcheeks, that's not pantheism. It would be if God is only reality.

And no, the other wasn't Nestorianism unless two different natures in one hypostasis is what you call Nestorianism.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
tomsk
Shipmate
# 15370

- Posted      Profile for tomsk   Email tomsk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1, but with fairly frequent does of 5, although fewer than formerly.

What's also interesting is, if we are a 1 or whatever, how we behave (I'd be prone to behaving as if I were a 6, again less so now).

Posts: 372 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EtymologicalEvangelical:

Of course, the philosophical naturalist will concoct some kind of convoluted explanation that tries to construct God as a projection of various relationships and desires among homo whatevers in the great scheme of evolution. This, of course, is pure speculation, for which there is not the slightest scrap of historical and documentary evidence.

Maybe so, but it's also perfectly possible.

[ 27. September 2012, 06:43: Message edited by: Boogie ]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
PerkyEars

slightly distracted
# 9577

- Posted      Profile for PerkyEars   Email PerkyEars   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's a decent scale (although pH would be more fun [Big Grin] ) and works for a starting point for discussion. I'm a 1.1 for the same reason I think Dawkins identifies as 6.9. I'm pretty sure there is a God, but it's possible that my interpretation of reality is seriously wrong. On the other hand I have to have some faith that I can interpret reality accurately to get out of bed in the morning. [Smile]

I agree that belief in God and living your life 'as though' there is a God are very different. For one thing the latter has to do with what kind of God you believe in. Dawkins doesn't seem aware of the many shades of understanding of God's character and how that affects how belief plays out in life. I've met someone who told me with a straight face that he believed in God, that he wasn't going to worship 'that bastard', and that when he met him in heaven he was going to give him a piece of his mind. [Eek!]

Posts: 532 | From: Bristol | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

The trouble is, there are many just-so stories about the origin of religion. Agent detection is currently one of the favourites, but we also get social bonding, the need for the counter-intuitive, consolation over death, fear of the unknown, a by-product of cognitive faculties, a feeling of control over the environment, and so on.

They are quite entertaining, of course, as just-so stories often are.

And some anthropologists such as Scott Atran actually get their hands dirty and study religions in situ, which makes a change from the arm-chair speculations.

None the less, they remind me of the multiverse - which could be construed as a gigantic exercise in God-denial. They mostly also seem to suffer from the genetic fallacy.

--------------------

agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where do you place Clough's "Inclines to think there is a God, Or something very like him."?

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

quote:
quote:
I'd have thought on a board like this there would be a general consensus about what we mean by "God", even if it's rather tricky to pin down in watertight legalese.

But my brain hurts.

But that's tied up with notions of who or what God is. By arguing that God is existence itself, you're positing a pantheist worldview. OTOH, if you regard the word "God" as signifying a loving personal creator and sustainer (or words to that effect), as I suspect everyone here would, this objection just fades away.

But I'm getting sick of arguing about this. For all these quibbles, bizarre conspiracy theories and character assassination of Dawkins, it's a very straightforward question at its heart - how sure are you that there is/isn't a God? We all understand that question, and we all know what we mean by it. If you've never said "I believe God exists" or "I believe in God" or variations on that theme, then quibble away, but I strongly suspect no one on this thread can claim such a thing.

--------------------

the long ranger
Shipmate
# 17109

- Posted      Profile for the long ranger   Email the long ranger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to me that the direction of travel is possibly more important than where you are on the scale at any given moment, because belief and faith and action are different things (to some people).

--------------------
"..into the outer darkness where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth,” “But Rabbi, how can this happen for those who have no teeth?”
"..If some have no teeth, then teeth will be provided.”

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
quote:
quote:

But my brain hurts.

But that's tied up with notions of who or what God is. By arguing that God is existence itself, you're positing a pantheist worldview. OTOH, if you regard the word "God" as signifying a loving personal creator and sustainer (or words to that effect), as I suspect everyone here would, this objection just fades away.

But I'm getting sick of arguing about this. For all these quibbles, bizarre conspiracy theories and character assassination of Dawkins, it's a very straightforward question at its heart - how sure are you that there is/isn't a God? We all understand that question, and we all know what we mean by it. If you've never said "I believe God exists" or "I believe in God" or variations on that theme, then quibble away, but I strongly suspect no one on this thread can claim such a thing.

Not sure if that's a reference to my posts. I intend no character assassination of Prof Dawkins at all. I think he is confused about the relationship between naturalism and theism, so that in TGD he covertly assumes that God is a natural phenomenon.

However, we are all confused about many things, I am sure.

Your phrase about 'quibbles' surprises me. After all, it is Prof Dawkins who in his letter to his daughter, advised that we should doubt everything, that we should not rely on authority, and that we should use reason and critical thinking to challenge all claims.

I agree with most of this (I don't think we can doubt everything though), and I feel that Prof Dawkins' own views are worthy of some critical investigation.

--------------------

EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

- Posted      Profile for EtymologicalEvangelical   Email EtymologicalEvangelical   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie
quote:

You seem to have ignored the next paragraph in the post you quoted from, where I explain why I think it is not possible.

--------------------
You can argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome': but you neither can nor need argue with a man who says, 'Rice is unwholesome, but I'm not saying this is true'. CS Lewis

Posts: 3625 | From: South Coast of England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But, as I intimated in an earlier post on this thread, nature is restricted in the kinds of ideas that it can generate (if it is capable of generating any ideas at all), due to the fact that ideas have to arise for a utilitarian reason.

No they don't.

quote:
Natural selection is, of course, entirely utilitarian.
No it isn't.

quote:
It seems remarkably strange and implausible (and therefore highly improbable)
Simply because you find something strange or implausible has no bearing on whether it is true or not.

Your reasoning is weak, your premises false, and your conclusions unjustified.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My position is probably more Panentheistic than Pantheistic, but I also have problems trying to define what the verb to exist means when it has as its subject a Being that transcedes the Universe.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:

I indeed know that God exists, since this can and has been proven by philosophical argument beyond reasonable doubt (in my judgement).

Care to share which particular philosophical argument has convinced you?

I'm interested. Seriously.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian
No they don't.
No it isn't.
Simply because you find something strange or implausible has no bearing on whether it is true or not.

I've looked hard, but, alas, I'm afraid I have failed to detect even the smallest smidgeon of evidence or argument to support your assertions.

Generally speaking, in a debate one is required (though it's not compulsory) to make some effort to say why you think as you do.

How about it?

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I also have problems trying to define what the verb to exist means when it has as its subject a Being that transcedes the Universe.

It means "is that Being actually real?" Or to put it another way, "is there a God?"

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian
No they don't.
No it isn't.

I've looked hard, but, alas, I'm afraid I have failed to detect even the smallest smidgeon of evidence or argument to support your assertions.

Generally speaking, in a debate one is required (though it's not compulsory) to make some effort to say why you think as you do.

How about it?

I think Marvin may be pointing out that the statements to which he is responding are themselves unsupported assertions.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:

Coming from the master of treating assertions as truths, I'll take that as a compliment [Smile]

As for evidence, do you really think a peacock's tail is utilitarian?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
I think Marvin may be pointing out that the statements to which he is responding are themselves unsupported assertions.

Indeed.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Thanks. I can be a little sensitive over some of the things that made me leave last time. [/qb]

Mutual.

Although, Karl, I am curious: how have you gotten past your issue of spending too much time thinking/worrying about conversations here? (IIRC paraphrasing that was a concern you had when you left... TIA)

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
EtymologicalEvangelical
Shipmate
# 15091

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider

Such as?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by moron:
quote:
quote:

Mutual.

Although, Karl, I am curious: how have you gotten past your issue of spending too much time thinking/worrying about conversations here? (IIRC paraphrasing that was a concern you had when you left... TIA) [/QB]

I'm trying to avoid the sorts of conversations that will have that effect. If you catch me arguing politics, tap me on the shoulder.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
I also have problems trying to define what the verb to exist means when it has as its subject a Being that transcedes the Universe.

It means "is that Being actually real?" Or to put it another way, "is there a God?"
I'm sorry, but that doesn't help much. It just shifts the question to what the words real or to be might mean when applied to a Being that transcedes the Universe.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

I'm sorry, but that doesn't help much. It just shifts the question to what the words real or to be might mean when applied to a Being that transcedes the Universe.
They mean that there is such a being for them to be applied to.

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

This is even more problematic if instead of 'a Being', one says, 'Being itself'.

Thus, not 'does the being God exist?', but 'does God who is Being itself exist?'

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Karl: Liberal Backslider: They mean that there is such a being for them to be applied to.
You realize that you're using a circular definition here? What you're saying comes down to: "To be means that there is such a being..."

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
Karl: Liberal Backslider: They mean that there is such a being for them to be applied to.
You realize that you're using a circular definition here? What you're saying comes down to: "To be means that there is such a being..."
Maybe, but the problem is that the question seems deliberately obtuse. Is it really difficult to understand the question "is there a God?"

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016