homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: New Frontiers new apostolic spheres (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: New Frontiers new apostolic spheres
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

- Posted      Profile for CSL1   Email CSL1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The problem in this case was that someone came along to catechesis with no intention of becoming Orthodox - he just wanted a debate about the merits of baptist theology verses the merits of Orthodoxy.[/QB]
That's just bad form. Sounds like the type I've occasionally run across: On a Mission, itching for confrontation, oft full of themselves, martyr complex, etc. Usually get over themselves by middle age.
CSL1
Shipmate
# 17168

- Posted      Profile for CSL1   Email CSL1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arminian:
As yet I have not heard back from New Frontiers on how much Terry Virgo is paid. (Nor Mark Driscoll from contacting Mars Hill either).

So I'm supposed to turn up at their churches, empty ten percent of my wages into their coffers and not have a clue how much goes into their wages, because they are so anointed that to even dare to ask the question is a sign of rebelliousness?

I can think of no other walk of life where this level of trust is demanded. Personally I think Christians should stop being naive. Transparent accounts or no donations. I do not believe God told them to make their salary top secret.

I'm an attorney by trade, now teach law at a university, have also taught accounting. In principle, these churches are asking their member-"shareholders" to invest assets without making disclosures essential to the investment decision. While not technically illegal, in my opinion it's unethical--and, of course, they have fools for shareholders!

At the New Frontiers church I attended, at first we had checks and balances. A young man working through an MBA and a middle aged fellow who was a CPA (same as Brit Chartered Accountant) and CFO of a non-profit for his day job were in charge of finances.

But then the Head Elder jettisoned them and took over. This was never announced to the church, it wasn't even revealed in the elder's meetings. He also discontinued support of the church's missionary-seminarian, whom he had promised from the pulpit in an elaborate Sending Out Ceremony the church would support throughout his academic career--again, never announced, never discussed even in elder's meetings. As an elder, I only found out when the very young "Yes Man" elder let it slip in a private conversation.

There were evidently only three people who knew of this changing of the guard and withdrawal of support prior to the Yes Man's slip of the tongue: Head Elder, his right hand man on the elder's team (whom I called The Enforcer because of his fierce loyalty to head elder and his huge muscles), and young Yes Man. The rest of the elder team, all half dozen of us, were kept completely in the dark (perhaps we were only there for show to "prove" the checks and balances).

At this church, if you revealed something they wanted kept secret, Head Elder would sometimes tell you you'd be "Serving Satan" by so doing, so I can only imagine he did everything he could to hush the outsted financial team and the defunded seminarian. I know it took some time for them to finally confess in private what had happened. When I confronted Head Elder and The Enforcer with what I'd discovered, they were furious: "WHO told you that?"

What bothered me was not so much that they would go back on a public promise of financial support and oust the original financial team, but that they'd do it, then do everything possible to conceal it while continuing to solicit donations each week. If they'd only revealed everything, people could have made informed decisions.

Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

- Posted      Profile for Arminian   Email Arminian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got this back from New Frontiers. Asked for Terry Virgo's salary. Got this ! (No reply from Mars Hill yet).

Thanks for your email to Newfrontiers. I'm afraid I do not have the information you request. Leaders in Newfrontiers churches are employed by their churches and as such we don't hold salary information. Due to our data protection policy I'm not sure I would be able to divulge such information even if I had it.

Many thanks,
xxxxxx xxxxxxxxx

Posts: 157 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Undiscovered Country
Shipmate
# 4811

- Posted      Profile for The Undiscovered Country   Email The Undiscovered Country   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just come rather late to this thread. Sorry, haven't been here for a long time! A number of NewFrontiers churches tie leaders' salaries to teachers' salaries within schools.

I'll have a read through the rest of this thread later today!

--------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man adapts the world to himself. Therefore all hope of progress rests with the unreasonable man.

Posts: 1216 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome back! It's been a long time!

quote:
Originally posted by The Undiscovered Country:
A number of NewFrontiers churches tie leaders' salaries to teachers' salaries within schools.

This information is in fact already here, buried back on about page 4, here. Enjoy your read [Big Grin]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drewthealexander
Shipmate
# 16660

- Posted      Profile for Drewthealexander     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see that the admirable David Devenish has launched his 'new' apostolic sphere with a branded identity and a conference in 2013.

A conspiracy theorist may attach some significance to this conference being held on the Stoneleigh show ground, home for many years of the premier Newfrontiers annual corporate event. I'm personally more inclined to see this as a practical proposition for what is hoped to be an event for 4000 delegates.

Perhaps some clarity around other regional spheres will begin to emerge on the back of this move.

Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

- Posted      Profile for Arminian   Email Arminian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not another conference. Boy to these people love conferences. Do the leaders actually do much other than fly around the world attending conferences ?

Seems a nice jolly to me. Big salary, little or no accountability to the congregation, and frequent trips abroad to listen to the party line.

Of course they all have to have the official charismatic smiley face picture. Give me a grumpy but genuine git any day !

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If there's any chance of a decent salary to go with that grumpy but genuine git position, where do I send my CV?

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies for double-post, just followed the link. "Continue to press into all that God has promised ...". Fox ache, what an overblown euphemism for "Plod on with life doing the same old same old".

I'n not sure I could cope with a life that was constantly so full of joyous excitement I had a permanent shit-eating grin welded to my face.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

quote:
I'n not sure I could cope with a life that was constantly so full of joyous excitement I had a permanent shit-eating grin welded to my face.
[Killing me]

Absolutely. I joked with my wife that the endless church banners showing glowing ecstatic people were very discriminatory towards grumpy middle aged men, and lacked diversity.

Far better to drop the mask and be honest. Much less stressful than the pressure outfits like NF can put on people. I'm glad I left. Oh bugger - they just made me smile !

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my NF days I once noticed (I can't for the life of me remember how) that the head of an ecstatic blonde had been photoshopped onto the body of some other worshipper in quite a prominent ad for Stoneleigh. I asked somebody about it but the reason was not forthcoming.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:

Has gone in the Quotes File...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

Ooo. My ego is appropriately stroked.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Looks like those in the ranks are not sure whether this is a "breakup" or "the family growing up and leaving home". But apparently there is no longer any event attended by all these leaders. Read more here: The Emperor's New Frontiers.

[ 12. September 2012, 11:38: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So; New Apostolic Sphere = Patriarchate

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Haydee
Shipmate
# 14734

- Posted      Profile for Haydee   Email Haydee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting that none of the life group would know who the 'sphere leaders' are. So much for accountability...
Mark Betts

Ship's Navigation Light
# 17074

- Posted      Profile for Mark Betts   Email Mark Betts   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
So; New Apostolic Sphere = Patriarchate

Where did that come from? I briefly skimmed through the (very boring) article, but I couldn't see anything like that.

--------------------
"We are not some casual and meaningless product of evolution. Each of us is the result of a thought of God. Each of us is willed, each of us is loved, each of us is necessary."

Posts: 2080 | From: Leicester | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a joke, Mark.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Truman White
Shipmate
# 17290

- Posted      Profile for Truman White         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Looks like those in the ranks are not sure whether this is a "breakup" or "the family growing up and leaving home". But apparently there is no longer any event attended by all these leaders. Read more here: The Emperor's New Frontiers.

Interesting that leaders will develop their own "doctrinal distinctives." Virgo's an interesting character. Depending who you talk to he's either Papa Terry head of the NF Mafia or the Blessed Virgo full of grace. Have to see how his sons and grandsons turn out.
Arminian
Shipmate
# 16607

Does this new structure lead to more accountability or less ?

It looks confused to me. Maybe its supposed to be. I just wish they'd go away. I'm still in recovery from their crappy and abusive theology.

Our local NF minister is continually traveling to NF overseas thousands of miles away to see his 'apostle'. Must be costing a fortune. Of course the congregation didn't get a say in it or the appointment of the 'apostle'. They're just supposed to 'submit to the vision' and shut up.

The Undiscovered Country
Shipmate
# 4811

- Posted      Profile for The Undiscovered Country   Email The Undiscovered Country   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An explanation of what the new apostolic spheres mean in practice can be found at; http://www.christcentralchurches.org/ in the item labelled 'Jeremy Simpkins-Christ Central'.

(Incidentally the 2nd David Devenish preach-God's plan to change the world part 2' also has a really interesting exposition on how Christians should inter-act with arts and culture .)

--------------------
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world. The unreasonable man adapts the world to himself. Therefore all hope of progress rests with the unreasonable man.

Posts: 1216 | From: Belfast | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016