homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another two rejection letters for interviews this morning, but also an interview letter- woo yay!

Come tuesday 11.55, I'll be on the serious panic mode.

At least it's progress though.

I hope you get the job Mirrizin.
Good luck everyone.

Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] for lir, mirrizin and catrine... If you can only get out of the trough of applying, things get better. Or so I'm told...

My God, but it's so f*cking depressing.

I've lost count of the number of forms I've filled in online. Even the ones that allow you to upload your CV still ask you to fill in all the same details that are on the CV.

Then there are the supporting letters. "Why do you want to work in this field?" What's a polite way of saying, "I don't, but I need some money until I find a job I do want?"

The company responsible for this area can't/won't process my application to join the supply pool until I have (i) a new CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) Enhanced Disclosure - even though my last one is only thirteen months old and (ii) registered with the GTC (General Teaching Council). The latter is not necessary in Independent Schools, so I've never done it.

Now I have to register with the GTC (£33 and six weeks min.) and get a new CRB check (£36 and - wait for it - an eight week backlog!

In order to do either of these things, I have to send away various personal documents in their original form - just when I need to send them all away to have my address changed - or I have to send photocopies certified by a school to show they have seen the originals. Right. My school's closed for good, all the other schools are closed for at least another three weeks - always assuming any of them will be kind enough to help out by verifying my documents and there's no reason why they should.

So, current school doesn't count because it doesn't exist any more. Three week wait for another school who may help, 8+ week wait for CRB / GTC results, at least three weeks for the agency to process my application. I might (only might) be eligible for supply teaching in time for the Christmas holidays.

Meanwhile, back to the online forms (assuming I can keep using the net, because I'm now unemployed and on the verge of bankruptcy, so I can't pay the bill for much longer...)

>Do you have QTS?< Yes

>What is your QTS certificate number?< [Confused] Don't have one. All I have is my degree certificate - "Special degree of Bachelor of Arts with Joint Honours... blah blah blah... with Qualified Teacher Status"

>If you don't have one, we need to see your original degree certificate.< OK, but I need to send that to the GTC and the website won't let me continue with my application unless I put in the QTS certificate number that I don't have. "Please call .... for assistance..."

>Have you completed an induction year?< Yes.

>What is the number of your Induction Certificate?< [Confused] Don't have one. Official Induction Courses in the maintained sector didn't exist, let alone an overlap between the maintained and independent sectors. My Headmaster wrote a report on me, sent it to someone somewhere and sent me a nice letter telling me he hated me and thought I was crap, but had no choice but to accept my passing the probationary year because I had fulfilled the criteria. And heaven knows where that letter is now. (Possibly stuffed up said HM's *rse if my wishes were granted...) Hmmm. Website won't let me continue without certificate number. "Please call .... for assistance..."

And don't even get me started on trying to claim benefits. Apparently, trying to register with Supply Agencies doesn't count as "actively seeking work" and one must be "actively seeking work" to claim the benefits to which I am "entitled".

Paying full whack into the system for twenty years doesn't allow me to claim back the pittance they're prepared to give out. Oh, and my new house is too expensive for them to pay the rent. "You may need to think about downsizing." I'm downsizing from three-bedrooms with ¼ acre garden and boarding house attached to two bedroom and tiny garden. In this town, I can't downsize much further (in terms of money paid in rent at least) because (i) there aren't many places cheaper and (b) when they are cheaper, they won't accept Canis cani. So what do I do? Perhaps next time, I shall take the dog with me and leave him in jobcentreplus(their grammar). "There, now I can move somewhere cheaper and you can have the dog put down and pay my rent." [Mad]

One really can understand people giving up hope, because what's the point of trying to carry on? It's all well and good to think about the job "you will get", but what's the point if one has starved or been forced onto the streets before one gets it?

You may gather that I'm feeling a bit down at the mo, having spent the morning online and achieved precisely nothing. I guess that's what "support threads" are about; by golly I need to vent, but please don't let it put off those of you who have lights in the tunnel. There's hope. Sometimes it's just difficult to see the glimmers of hope amidst the profusion of darkness. I'm sure they're there though. Keep seeking.

Corpus.
[ [Waterworks] is the closest one gets to a "losing hope" smiley.]

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bittersweet
Shipmate
# 10483

- Posted      Profile for Bittersweet   Author's homepage   Email Bittersweet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Corpus - nonsense, the GTC is not a 6 week minimum for registering - we often have them done within 10 working days! Choosing August, when all the new NQTs register doesn't help, but we have enough people maligning us out there without someone reasonable like you getting the wrong idea!
Posts: 237 | From: Here and Now | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
"Why do you want to work in this field?" What's a polite way of saying, "I don't, but I need some money until I find a job I do want?"

Seeking experience of the state sector?

If the job is in a place you don't live in at the moment, then you want to move there for personal reasons (which need not be formally disclosed)

quote:

at least three weeks for the agency to process my application.

Not if they are interested in making a profit there won't be. There really is a shortage of teachers. And seeing some of the idiots who get jobs as supply teachers, I'm sure loads of schools would be only too glad to get you.

quote:

Apparently, trying to register with Supply Agencies doesn't count as "actively seeking work" and one must be "actively seeking work" to claim the benefits to which I am "entitled".

Then "actively seek work".

If its as hard to find jobs in your area as you imply that it is, you won't be offered one in a hurry so you will get the benefits without having to do any more work. If it isn't and you are then at least you can pay your Internet bill and carry on telling us all about morning coats.

If you get offered a job you don't want you can walk out of it the day the supply agency finds you a teaching job. Which they almost certainly will. And in the incredibly unlikely chancve that you get offered a job and find you like it, than everyones a winner.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ken has replied with much more practical advice, but try to keep positive Corpus. Red tape is such a b*tch, the education system is full of it (universities, schools the lot). Some of it is justified and some of it complete crap to cover backs and obscure ones at that.

In addition, going into a jobcentreplus is probably one of the most soul destroying experiences, although, I acknowledge that it must be pretty tough for the staff sometimes too.

Here's hoping tomorrow brings better things for you. [Votive]

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My sympathies, CC. That sounds positively dreadful, and a far cry worse than sending resumes and cover letters through craigslist and careerbuilder. All of this digital speaking into the void makes me think of that quote (can't remember whose originally):
quote:
"I Exist!" man cries out to the universe.
"That," replied the universe, "does not create in me a sense of obligation."

Eh, had an interview yesterday that felt pretty good. I think I gave him the impression that I was capable and eager even though I was somewhat short on experience.

Today's interview didn't feel so hot. The interviewing attorney seemed to be going for maximum intimidation with minimum time expended, so I got mildly flustered and didn't really say very much. If I get a callback on this one I'll be surprised, though on the other hand if he always treats his employees like that I'm not sure I'd want to work for him anyway.

Another interview tomorrow for an HR drone position, which leaves me wondering about CC's question of how one answers the "why do you want to work here" question without being too honest (aka - I'm just looking for a job so I can tell my next interviewer that I'm not currently unemployed).

It'd be easier if I could just give up hope, say screw it, and become a permanent house husband, or just bite the bullet and enter law school having no experience at all in law. But then, I really want to know what I'm doing before I jump into doing it, if you catch my drift.

Ah well, at least I'm getting interviews. I suppose there's some blessing in that and I suppose it means I'm employable to somebody.

[Votive] to all, particularly Corpus Cani and Catrine

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mirrizin:
Another interview tomorrow for an HR drone position, which leaves me wondering about CC's question of how one answers the "why do you want to work here" question without being too honest (aka - I'm just looking for a job so I can tell my next interviewer that I'm not currently unemployed).

This is what really bugs me. The hypocrisy of it. Most people apply for jobs more because they need the money than anything - not many people wake up in the morning and think "What I really want to do with my life is be a filing clerk" - yet you're obliged to go through the pretence that money is absolutely the last thing on your mind.

But I suppose if we were all honest in interviews it would go something like this:

"Good morning Ms Sprite. Can you tell us why you applied for the job?"

"Yes, I had a friend who did temporary work here and she said she worked for some really attractive man who for once wasn't married or gay. Also, I hear your staff canteen has some interesting meals at very reasonable prices and there is a staff microwave."

"Absolutely. But what about the job?"

"Well, it sounds very boring to be honest, but I'm tempted by the fact that it doesn't sound too onerous and I'll probably be able to get away with an extra long lunch hour every day and some free biros with the company name on."

"That sounds fine. Do you have any questions for us?"

"Yes, it says in the job description you supply free tea and coffee to staff, is the coffee filter coffee or would I need to bring my own?"

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

I'm first reserve candidate for the interviewed job on Tuesday, so it's woo but not quite yay. The waiting continues for another week......

...Another no interview letter today too. Grrrrrr

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You get responses from companies that decide not to interview you? [Eek!] Never happens to me...only time I hear anything is when they want to schedule. And then you only get a follow-up if they decide to hire or do a second (or third) interview. If you're not on their "A" list, all you get is silence. I can understand the reasons, but it's still irritating.

[VENT]Speaking of irritation, had another interview today with a staffing firm. The interview was for an internal position (basically an HR Drone), but I'm now in their system of working stiffs as well. Things went fine until they showed me this somewhat complicated document and basically said "you have 15 minutes to recreate precisely this form using Word." Well, I got about 2/3 of the thing roughly exact, another small bit "close enough for gov't work" as the saying goes, and didn't even get to try to do the last bit.

I'm sure at least someone they're interviewing is a Word Wizard. The most annoying thing is that most of this stuff, I'm sure, can be learned in a matter of minutes; it's just that nobody usually ever bothers to make columns with that degree of obsessive precision.[/VENT]

Ah well, back to the old drawing board, as they say [Disappointed]

[Votive]

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

quote:
You get responses from companies that decide not to interview you?

Aye, it's commonplace over here. Either that or the grapevine knows that I'll be ringing them to find out whether I have an interview or not.

[Votive] for all the hunters...

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:
quote:

Aye, it's commonplace over here. Either that or the grapevine knows that I'll be ringing them to find out whether I have an interview or not.
And either your uncle is in The Lodge, or your brother-in-law knows a fella works there, or his mother's cousin was my father's aunt, or they both went to Methody, or sure he comes from round Clogher or - Norn Irland's not the place it used to be.

[ 17. August 2006, 20:57: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Manda
Shipmate
# 6028

- Posted      Profile for Manda   Email Manda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know it was a while back, but thanks Quinine for the advice. It's such a relief to be done with training contract application forms and I had two letters arrive the other day asking me to interview [Big Grin] , which is twice what I got last year. Hopefully I won't totally screw up, but I now have to figure out how to stand out from a roomful of equally capable people :S, and if I don't get a training contract then work out what Career Plan B will be [Help]

--------------------
'Hypnotically fabulous AND twinkly' - The Lad Himself

Posts: 1137 | From: Back in little old Wiltshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
quote:

....or sure he comes from round Clogher or - Norn Irland's not the place it used to be.
I'm largely applying for research jobs in universities of which there are only 2 in NI, with 3 hr departments so I'm sure they know me by now. (Although the most recent post wasn't in a Uni)

I used to live in Clogher till I was 14 years old. I'm sure it's responsible for some personality trait...

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:

[Votive] for all the hunters...

It's quite rare here now. Most places say something like "if you haven't heard from us within X weeks of applying, please assume you haven't been shortlisted for interview."

So you can never be entirely sure whether your application's even been received (unless you ring up/email them of course, but either way the onus is now on you, not them, to get in touch). It's a cost-saving measure - like not paying travel expenses to interviews any more, very few people seem to do that now.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Apparently we used to in England, before Thatcher. But it all changed after 1979. Around 1981/82 I made, I think, around 80-100 job applications, and got perhaps two replies. Or maybe it was only one. There must have been at least one because I got a job. It was so much an employer's market that they didn't need to be polite to applicants any more.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, things have got so depressing here that I've decided to sup with the Devil. Or, to put it another way, I've registered with one of those online database thingys used by agencies.

I have had quite a good response to my CV - interviews with two agencies today, one on Monday and one on Tuesday. I've had some really, really bad experiences with agencies in the past and am v. skeptical that this activity will lead to anything. The interview at lunchtime was a waste of time. I'd applied for a position and been invited in to discuss it, only to be told that they knew when they received my CV that I was totally unsuitable for that role but would I consider working for a Search and Selection agency? No, I wouldn't!!! If that's what I wanted, I'd have applied for that type of job. Why call me in to discuss the original job when they had no intention of doing that? I wish they'd been honest on the phone and said 'we won't consider you for x but we'd like you to talk about y instead'. What a waste of time!

Posts: 544 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Quinine
Shipmate
# 1668

- Posted      Profile for Quinine   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Manda:
I know it was a while back, but thanks Quinine for the advice. It's such a relief to be done with training contract application forms and I had two letters arrive the other day asking me to interview [Big Grin] , which is twice what I got last year. Hopefully I won't totally screw up, but I now have to figure out how to stand out from a roomful of equally capable people :S, and if I don't get a training contract then work out what Career Plan B will be [Help]

You're welcome. Well done on getting the interviews.

Do as much research as you can about the firms before interview but don't worry too much - half the battle is just appearing friendly, intelligent and someone you wouldn't mind working with. Lawyers are a conservative lot on the whole.

Good luck.

Mirrizin - if earning enough to hold body and soul together isn't an urgent concern, have you considered voluntary work in the legal field? In the UK we have Citizen's Advice Bureaux and (in major cities) Law Centres where people can get free legal advice (usually on debt, housing and such-like) where advisors are trained (and are often non-lawyers) and work on a voluntary basis. In the US there is an organisation called Streetlaw which has various projects going on - I haven't examined it in great detail but it looks quite interesting.

As for myself, I have finally got round to doing a 'skills-based CV' for a legal publishing vacancy and I have an expression of interest 4 days after e-mailing it. This is rather cheering. Whether or not it comes to anything, I feel less stuck in a rut.

As for the duck-counting, more at a later date, I hope.

Best wishes to all (I don't have time to post much but I'm checking in regularly),

Q.

Posts: 252 | From: In a fen | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My Headmonster sent out brief details of those of us still searching for new jobs to all the schools in this district of the ISC. Had a call this morning from a school with a job to fill at short notice - the man they appointed had a heart attack and died. [Votive]

They're taking up references on Monday and I'm going to see them on Thursday. Not ideal (50 miles away and I've just signed the lease on the new house! [Frown] ) but it's a job. Fingers crossed.

Corpus

--------------------

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All the best CC - thinking of you ...
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

That sounds promising - wishing you all the very best for Thursday, and keep us posted!

Even if you don't get the job, an interview is still an interview and it's good for morale after writing a spate of unsuccessful application letters.

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck Corpus
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
STILL waiting for my second interview. Why does this whole flipping city have to shut down in the summer?

frustrated, frustrated, frustrated [Waterworks]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone else getting bored of talking about themselves and their career over and over again. Honestly, if I have to give a quick summary of my career and aspirations once more, I think I might just scream!
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

I've got to the point where I'm absolutely sick of filling in application forms with exactly the same stuff over and over again.

Of course you can't lie on them or vary them in any way, the facts are what they are, but it's just so damn monotonous filling in the same answers to the same questions all the time. You get tempted either to make up something or else to snarl at an indifferent universe, "I told you that already".

I'm currently in the state of mind where I get as far as buying papers for the job section but feel too jaded to open them and look at them, and they get thrown away unread a week later when they're out of date. This isn't helping.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amen, Amen, Ay--Ay---MEN.

What I hate are the people who request your resume and THEN expect you to fill out exactly the same information on their stupid proprietary form ALL OVER AGAIN--and of course, the form never has sufficient room for anybody with handwriting bigger than 4 pt. print.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
On my job, I suspect that I am told to make applicants do that because at least part of the application form is tied into stuff the Federal government wants to find out about my company's hiring practices.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

Interview this morning, offered the job and accepted. Nearly as much money as I was getting before, but without it being a resident post. [Big Grin]

Where's the sigh of relief smiley? Thanks for all your prayers and kind words.

[Votive] for those still seeking.

Corpus

--------------------

fabula rasa
Shipmate
# 11436

- Posted      Profile for fabula rasa   Email fabula rasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Corpus, I've been following this thread and am really pleased for you. I hope it works out well.

And [Votive] for all those dealing with job issues, whether they post here or not.

Posts: 465 | From: scepter'd isle | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Corpus!! [Yipee]
Bittersweet
Shipmate
# 10483

- Posted      Profile for Bittersweet   Author's homepage   Email Bittersweet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Corpus - I'm glad it seems to have worked out for you!
Posts: 237 | From: Here and Now | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations, Corpus!

Was the big grin because it's non residential or because it's a job?

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

quote:
Originally posted by Ann:
Was the big grin because it's non residential or because it's a job?

Hmmmm... [Confused] Need to ponder...

It's going to be so weird commuting (petrol costs and huge waste of time [Frown] ) but having evenings and weekends to myself will be just as weird, though maybe more pleasant. [Smile] Well, maybe for a while... [Big Grin]

Thanks everyone.
Cc

--------------------

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Congratulations Corpus! [Yipee]
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
FINALLY have a second interview tomorrow [Yipee]

for the job i reallyreallyreally want...

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck ladyinred.
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats Corpus

[Votive] to all still looking. I know close to home how frustrating the process can be.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Speaking of the devil...

Thanks for the advice Quinine, I'll look into it.

Don't think I landed any of the jobs recently referred to, including the HR drone one (though one did email me back). Did get the joy of telling a lady regarding a commisson-only sales racket that I wasn't interested, as I intend to attend law school either next fall or soon after (depending on work situation). Also got an interview tomorrow for a part-time data entry position. Not exciting, but at this point I'll take what I can get.

Congratulations, CC!

[Votive]

--------------------

Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

Thanks again chums - meetings all day tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday. [Eek!] SBs return Wednesday then it's in at the deep end...

Good luck to all those on the verge and continued [Votive] for those still looking.

It's the second time I've been made redundant in twenty years of teaching, so it was a painful reminder of just how soul destroying it is to be unable to find work. (I can at least count my blessings - when the school closed our "new" security manager was made redundant for the twelfth time in twenty years. [Frown] ) It's a long and lonely road, but the thoughts and prayers of one's friends are a great comfort.

Thanks to you all,
Corpus

--------------------

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Corpus!

And my continued [Votive] for all searching. God bless. [Votive]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

CC - congratulations! Am thrilled that things have finally worked out for you.

LiR - good luck with the i/v. Will keep fingers crossed that things work out for you.

sparkly_h
Shipmate
# 7997

- Posted      Profile for sparkly_h   Email sparkly_h   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi all,

Much sympathy for all your situations! I'm feeling particularly rubbish about job hunting at the moment. I've just finished my degree which qualifies me to be a Speech and language therapist. I know what you're thinking "Well they're crying out for speech therapists - she should have no problems getting a job" (apologies if that is not what you're thinking, it is however what everybody says to me about my situation). The thing is in spite of there being a hideous shortage of SLTs leading to long waiting lists and much distress for clients and their families, nobody can afford to hire newly qualifieds. Or nearly nobody. There are few adverts and even fewer (e.g. none) in the area I live.

I feel like I should be being really proactive but am paralysed by fear that the people I'm proactive with won't want me (does that sound mad?), at least when responding to an advert you know they actually have funding for a post.

People keep on telling me I should enjoy my time until I get an SLT job (it's not like I'm not working, so mercifully finance is not such a pressure)but I just want to get on with the career I've trained for for the last four years. [Frown]

Sorry for the rant.

H.x

Posts: 158 | From: Chichester | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
obble
Shipmate
# 10868

- Posted      Profile for obble   Email obble   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Today was my last day working in the Chaplaincy, so, as of 5.00 this evening, I am now unemployed.

Once I've sorted out moving out of the house which goes with the job,and back to my parents' place, I will now be really stepping up the form-filling!

[Votive] for everyone.

[edited typo - I don't live in a hose!]

[ 31. August 2006, 16:35: Message edited by: obble ]

--------------------
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Posts: 1700 | From: Some other planet | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May I leap into the fray?

Having completely screwed up academically, I now need to find a job to coast me over until next summer, when I can have another shot. The only qualifications I have are GCSEs and my experience is minimal... (a few years voulenteering for London City Mission, which involved cafe work!)

[Help]

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

quote:
Originally posted by eyeliner:
May I leap into the fray?

Good luck with the hunt eyeliner

[Votive] for everyone searching.

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

More interviews, thank you notes. Setting my sights a bit lower now. We'll see if that helps.

[Votive]

--------------------

EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

It's been a strange fortnight. I registered with a job website a couple of weeks ago in sheer desperation at my situation. I really didn't want to have to go down that route for various reasons but it's worked far better than I had anticipated. Seven interviews with agencies last week, which led on to three interviews with potential employers yesterday and two more on Monday. My CV's also been put forward for a number of other promising roles. The phone hasn't stopped ringing. After years of struggling with job application after job application I'm totally astonished that so many people want to talk to me! The roles aren't quite what I'd originally hoped to do but some look reasonably interesting.

Of course, I'm still deeply skeptical about the job hunt - I'm quite convinced that I'll have a whole heap of rejection letters in the near future. But it would be so lovely if something worked out for a change.

Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

Apparently it does help [Eek!] . I just got offered a part time receptionist position with a document company near downtown. $11/hour, 20hrs/week. It's not what I was aiming for, but it's experience, future references, seconday income, and honest work for the time being, and probably into the fairly distant future.

After about 10 months of living off my wife's income, I'm still trying to adjust to the paradigm shift.

[Votive] to all who are still searching.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had an interview with the local Red Cross shop yesterday (for the job of manager). This would be ideal for me - just round the corner, alternate weekends off.

I should know if I've got it early next week.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck with the interview Eigon.
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please may I join in?

Living in France, I've enjoyed being unemployed for a year, while Mr D brings home the bacon by working in London & commuting out here every ten days or so. And then working from home. However, that is getting too onerous for him, as well as the fact that he is getting fed up with the work, & the travelling.

I therefore need to get a job. I am registered with a Language school type place (I'm a trained TEFL teacher) but nothing has come from there yet. I went for what I thought was a chat about a job that I had been offered & had accepted (that's what you get for not speaking French very well!) but discovered that it was in fact an interview for the job - and I didn't get it! I am feeling a bit down & at the same time very unmotivated...

As I say I have enjoyed being unemployed and A Kept Woman and although I know that I need to find something so Mr D doesn't need to keep killing himself working where he's not happy, I can't get excited about it (Sorry, that's a bit unfair on those who are unemployed & not enjoying it.)

I'm also worried that if he does give up, what pittance I might earn won't really keep our heads above water!

I don't really know what support I need from you Lovely People - but I think I need something!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016