homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » AS: Job Search Support Thread (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  44  45  46 

Source: (consider it) Thread: AS: Job Search Support Thread
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So the job I reallyreally wanted kept me waiting and hanging on for SIX BLOODY WEEKS - and then gave it to someone else (also screwing the recruitment agency, as far as I can tell)

Was [Waterworks] a couple of days ago, now [Mad]

And I have to start all over again...

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mine just did the same, just when I thought it was in the bag. Bad reference from SIX YEARS AGO (and untrue, forsooth) strikes again....

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I didn't get the job I wanted, either, though it was less traumatic than Lamb Chopped or ladyinred.
However, the lady at the wool shop may have an interesting idea about producing craft packages for schools.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have a job starting tomorrow [Yipee]

One of the boys from church has found me a secretarial job in his company (they make cartoons)

The money's going to be CRAP for the first couple of months, but there'll be a raise after that if they like me (which of course they will, because I'm going to go out of my way to make them like me... can't possibly afford to stay on the minimum wage for long)

Not the amazingest job ever, but nonetheless it's gainful employment, so I'm pretty happy

Red x

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Red!
Posts: 2614 | From: Midlands | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Brilliant, ladyinred!

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Prayers for my son and heir (hah!) who has decided on teaching and has an interview on Thursday.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congrats to LinR and prayers for SS's offspring.

The recruitment agencies are driving me absolutely crackers at the moment - I've had a total lack of communication/feedback on a couple of second interviews I attended a week ago. I presume I didn't get either of the jobs but it would be nice if someone actually returned my calls or replied to my emails. They're quick enough to hound me every 5 mins when they want to put my CV forward for an utterly unsuitable job [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 544 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosus:
Congrats to LinR and prayers for SS's offspring.

The recruitment agencies are driving me absolutely crackers at the moment - I've had a total lack of communication/feedback on a couple of second interviews I attended a week ago. I presume I didn't get either of the jobs but it would be nice if someone actually returned my calls or replied to my emails. They're quick enough to hound me every 5 mins when they want to put my CV forward for an utterly unsuitable job [Roll Eyes]

Agencies are part of the useless third of the planet! [Mad] - short answer is that they are unlikely to ever give you feedback, and I think they only put people forward (however small the chances of them getting the job) because they have to put a certain number of people forward. [Eek!]

Quick Update for me, - I am currently working in a long term temp job in the NHS [Help] . I have an interview tommorrow which would be nice to get (dont want to raise my hopes up), as it is a 15 min commute, 35 hours per week which would give me 90 minutes a day that I currently dont have due to travelling etc.

The only issue is that it is in the colllege I trained at over 10 years ago, and some of the lecturers will remember me (for positive things!)

Posts: 536 | From: Inside M25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

- Posted      Profile for EnglishRose     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's a confession to make you laugh. The job situation and working 7-day weeks, amongst many other things, has been causing quite a bit of stress lately. I knew that the pressure was building up but I didn't realise just how bad things were until I glanced down at my feet just now. Somehow I've managed to get through the entire morning without noticing that I'm wearing odd shoes. Yes, really. In my defence one is black and the other is very dark navy. But they've got different heels and different toes. How on earth could I have not noticed when I left for work [Ultra confused] I think someone might be trying to tell me something.......
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I picked up a form for Christmas work at WH Smiths today.
I'm not going to do what I did last year. The form asked "What is your greatest achievement?" and I answered, quite truthfully, "Learning to swordfight."

I think I'll find another greatest achievement this year - like knitting, maybe.

--------------------

Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Perhaps you should say your greatest achievement is learning to read ...

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am in that awkward time of "waiting to hear", however I have just had a message from home that the company are trying to get hold of me.

I am hoping that this is for the "offer" rather than "dont ever darken our doors again" [brick wall] .

Hate waiting, wanting to be able to have a leaving date for this one, but at least I have some kind of work, which I am grateful for.
[Votive]

--------------------
"I'm so English, I am probably descended from a Cricket Bat and a cup of tea".

James May - 20th Century

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmith1974/

Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

Unintentional Double Post

I GOT THE JOB!

There were two posts, one which was part-time (which I didn't really want) and the other is a PA role (Not administrator, secretary, general dogsbody) but a proper PA with the title as such.

I am likely to start in two weeks! YAY!

I dont have any tips for those still looking, as I felt the interview didnt go as well as I thought! (I was talking about disability discrimination and equal opportunities, and I didnt think I told them waht they wanted to hear!). I also think that there was some "unofficial referencing" going on as it was the college I studied catering at, and some of the lecturers are still teaching.

[Big Grin] [Help]

--------------------

James May - 20th Century

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
After an informal interview and look round the school eldest son has been invited back to observe pending a formal interview in November! If that works out he starts in January but he and all of are very encouraged as the school gets to make the decision for himself.

Keep the prayers coming, they're woking well so far. Thank you.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

- Posted      Profile for Catrine     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Congratulations Agent Smith! Hope it all goes well for you in your new job.
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

Congratulations Agent Smith! So glad that things have finally worked out for you. Hope you're going to celebrate in true SoF style.... [Big Grin]
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been off sick for 10 months now, and I am hoping to get back into employment. My sick note runs out on 10th Oct ish i think, so I am starting to look out for jobs. I've found one I want, but I think it is going to be difficult to get anyone to trust me. This is a nice job, part time, not critical. Please pray - I need to get back into work!

Jenn

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck with it Jenn, I hope it works out for you.
AnnaF
Shipmate
# 10606

- Posted      Profile for AnnaF   Email AnnaF   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I had a job interview yesterday for something I really, really want to do. The interview had some good moments and some not so good moments - I have no idea which way they're going to decide, but it would be nice to think that if anyone had a spare bit of prayer or luck going they might send it this way.
Posts: 53 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Thirteenth Duke
Shipmate
# 11216

- Posted      Profile for The Thirteenth Duke   Email The Thirteenth Duke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Had a good one recently...
Applied for job, had receipt acknowledgement which said they would let me know either way. Then it all went quiet. I contacted them asking what was happening and was told, "Oh, you were one of three shortlisted and we have filled the post." To which I replied, "How can you interview me if you don't let me know?" ie I was not contacted at all for interview.

Hmmm...

--------------------
Me, with my reputation? What were they thinking?

Posts: 54 | From: I can't remember...on my country estate somewhere | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Freelance Monotheist
Shipmate
# 8990

- Posted      Profile for Freelance Monotheist   Email Freelance Monotheist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've got one week left of my trial month, please pray I'm kept on, as there have been a couple of minor glitches recently, so I'm hoping the fact that Little Boy and I get on brilliantly and that he's making lots of progress in English already outweigh them and that I stay... I really want to, but am expecting the worst, hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised! Bosses keep talikng about getting a long term travel card and various future events, but I'm still not sure they want me... Must stay confident and positive!

--------------------
Denial: a very effective coping mechanism

Posts: 1239 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The job I want isn't part time enough, it seems. I feel very sad about this. I hope something else comes up at some point.
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

Had one very good interview yesterday & have been called back for a second round next week.

V. strange experience today though. Turned up at a company for a 1230 interview. Waited 5 minutes and then the receptionist came over to tell me that xxx couldn't see me after all. I explained that I had an interview with xxx and asked who I'd be seeing instead, only to be told that they were expecting me at 1200 and wouldn't see me as I was late. Luckily I always carry written confirmation with me so I showed the receptionist my letter proving that I was expected at 1230. Still no joy. No-one would see me or even come out to explain what was going on. So I left.

The agency consultant who put me forward for the job double-checked the files and my interview was definitely scheduled for 1230. She'd even spoken to the employer 15 minutes beforehand. Something odd's definitely going on. I suspect that the employer interviewed someone else at 1130 and decided to give them the job without even seeing me. I'm furious. I had to take time off work, spent time preparing and getting psyched up etc, and they didn't even have the courtesy to tell me face-to-face what had happened. I HATE job hunting [Mad]

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Whilst I'm sure it is little consolation given that you have wasted your time today, at least you find out about the inner politics of the company now, rather than when you have been hired by them.

Good luck with the continued hunt [Votive]

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Curiosus

1) Bill the bastards for wasting your time. At their rates.

2) Do you really want to work for a firm like that?

3) Good luck [Votive] you only want one job after all [Big Grin]

[edit: x-posted with Catrine]

[ 21. September 2006, 13:44: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

AnnaF
Shipmate
# 10606

- Posted      Profile for AnnaF   Email AnnaF   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! I got the job and just have to negotiate a start date now. [Yipee]

Best of luck to all still searching through the uncertainty. [Votive]

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Congratulations Anna.

I've just found a great job, in a great location, but I can't do the interview date. Grrrr! Will have to phone tomorrow to check whether there are any other options.

The Artisan
Shipmate
# 4277

- Posted      Profile for The Artisan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hope it's OK for me to join this thread. I am trying to start a business doing tutoring (Primary plus Maths and Science to GCSE). I have 2 tutees and I am doing some agency temping work but I'm not making enough money to live on (yet!). I have an advert going in 2 local papers this week (at a grand cost of about £125!!!) Please pray that I'll get appropriate responses to make up my tutoring hours as I can't keep living off savings.

--------------------
Sometimes our best intentions do not go
amiss; sometimes we do as we meant to.
The sun will sometimes melt a field of sorrow
that seemed hard frozen: may it happen for you Sheenagh Pugh

Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Agent Smith:
Unintentional Double Post

I GOT THE JOB!

[Big Grin] [Help]

Just saw this. Congratulations. Yay, yay and triple yay. Well done.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck Artisan, let us know how you get on.
AnnaF
Shipmate
# 10606

quote:
Originally posted by Catrine:
Congratulations Anna.

I've just found a great job, in a great location, but I can't do the interview date. Grrrr! Will have to phone tomorrow to check whether there are any other options.

Thanks. [Smile] I hope you manage to sort out a better interview date. You never know, visiting them on a different day away from all the other candidates might be a good thing in helping to make you stand out more.
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

Survived the second round interview and have been called back for the third & final session first thing tomorrow morning. I've now decided that I really, really want this job so prayers would be appreciated.
Stevie Boy Wonder
Shipmate
# 11869

- Posted      Profile for Stevie Boy Wonder   Author's homepage   Email Stevie Boy Wonder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've only just found this thread, otherwise I'd have come here a bit sooner, no doubt.

I'm at a bit of a crossroads at the moment, been in a job since last December but finding it increasingly hard to keep up with the workload and apply myself. I've always thought I couldn't see myself in an office job for the forty-odd years until I can retire, but I'm now wondering if I've gone as far as I can in an office environment.

So, I've got the "what to do now" thing combined with being off work with stress (I've been signed off for two weeks, although there's a bit of confusion as to when those two weeks actually started). I'm not sure what to think and am finding it really hard to hear God in all this. Plus, since I've joined the Ship I've spent a lot of time that would otherwise have been used to sort through some of this stuff, just arsing about on the boards.

I'm off to London for a couple of days to see some wise relatives/fellow Shipmates, hoping God might clear some of the fog in my mind while I'm there. Prayers would be much appreciated. Sorry I've rambled on.

--------------------
Jesus saves. But in the current economic climate, His pension probably won't be enough for eternity...

Also by the same author

Posts: 1599 | From: Wherever I lay my hat, that's my home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck Curiosus!

Stevie boy wonder- I'm sure God has a plan, have a good weekend with your friends and hope that things become clearer for you.

[Votive] praying for employment!

EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

I've done it. I've actually done it. I've finally got a job offer [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] Not only that, it's a jolly good offer with a fantastic firm. It's incredible.

So far the offer's only verbal and subject to references, written contract etc so there's still the potential for things to go horribly wrong (not that I'm deeply suspicious after years of jobhunting.....) But I've actually got an offer and a start date. I'm in shock. I can't get my head around this at all. It doesn't seem real!

Thanks to everyone here for their prayers. It obviously worked. I'm praying for those of you who are still hunting [Votive]

Malin

Shipmate
# 11769

- Posted      Profile for Malin   Email Malin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Overused] Well Done!!!

--------------------
'Is it a true bird or is it something that exists within a-'
'It's a thing that is,' said Granny sharply. 'Don't go spilling allegory all down your shirt.' Terry Pratchett

Posts: 1901 | From: Norwich | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Nice one Curiosus! [Yipee]
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think I need to look for a new job. My team is being restructured and my post will disappear. My manager has lined up people he wants for the new posts to be created. Redundancy was mentioned. However I was then told there would be no money for redundancy (but they don't know what they will give me to do). I suspect this is game of who holds out longest and they hope I'll leave. I'm quite tough, so I might not! But - I have just been contacted out of the blue about a possible opening in a field which is completely new to me. Since I need to earn enough money to eat, I am definitely interested. Please remember me in your prayers as I go for a first discussion tomorrow.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
EnglishRose
Shipmate
# 4808

Do you have free legal advice with your household insurance? It might be worth checking out the legal position on redundancy so that you have all your facts to hand. The very best thing would be for you to get redundancy and the new job that you're due to discuss tomorrow [Biased]

Good luck.

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Good luck Landlubber, I hope the meeting is positive for you.
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just sent off the application form for a job I really want. I'd just about given up looking for permenant work. There is nothing out there and had resigned myself to lots of temp jobs when here comes a brilliant job, really interesting, good hours. It is too good to be true and knowing my luck someone has been lined up for it and the advertisment is just to comply with employment legislation.

Keeping everything crossed.....

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Landlubber
Shipmate
# 11055

- Posted      Profile for Landlubber   Email Landlubber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Curiosus

Thanks for the idea of using the legal insurance, it would never have occurred to me. (In fact, when all becomes clearer, I do have a Union, so I'll try them.)

Thanks, too, all here for previous advice on CVs because I rewrote mine after lurking here and I'm sure it helped; the interviewer had it in front of him today. They are going to let me know ...

Poppy - Go for it - good luck. Do your preparation so you are ready if they want to see you.

--------------------
They that go down to the sea in ships … reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man

Posts: 383 | From: On dry land | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
StJerome
Shipmate
# 9276

- Posted      Profile for StJerome   Email StJerome   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just got fired today! No notice because I'm a temp! Is that even legal?

Capitalism is so rubbish! [Mad]

My david brent of a boss didn't even tell me to my face!

--------------------
Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto: Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper et in saecula saeculorum. Amen

Posts: 264 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Votive] StJerome

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

That's well harsh St Jerome, get on to your temping agency (I know nothing of employment laws, but it might be a violation of the contract between the agency and the employer)

Poppy good luck with the job.

Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

Unfortunately there is unlikely to be any comeback with an agency and employer. think of agencies as legalised pimps and you get the idea! [Mad] The agency will say something like the "nature of the job changed" rather than saying "your face didnt fit/you knew more than the manager (who was a two faced cow anyway!). I may be wrong but having worked for agencies between jobs I take everything they say with a pinch of salt.

Which is why i prefer contract posts or permanent. It is more difficult to get rid of you on spurious reasons!

Sorry St Jerome, you have been on the nastier side of agencies. I have never had a good agency who was putting me forward for relevant enjoyable jobs! [Votive]

--------------------

James May - 20th Century

Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

ooooo, I've got a job interview for friday week. They also want me to do a stupid assessment centre test (YAWN) for 2.5 hours. I ought to remind them that this is for a part-time research post lasting 6 months. Very little wonder why there is no money for the NHS and other things when government are wasting money on this kind of craic.

Other than that, I'm rather excited (about everything except the assessment centre)- it's been a while since a positive letter came through the post.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by StJerome:
I just got fired today! No notice because I'm a temp! Is that even legal?

According to this site
quote:
employers also have the flexibility to finish temporary work without being liable for unfair dismissal or redundancy pay
Years ago, before I had children, I used agency work to stop the gaps between jobs, but I don't think I was ever employed permanently through an agency - I just used them as a way of not getting too much in debt while I was job hunting and to advise me on sorting out my CVs and interview techniques.

A lot of employers won't use them as they cost a fortune to place someone - at least a month's salary last time I had anything to do with them - and there are enough on-costs involved in employment.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Catrine
Shipmate
# 9811

Went to an assessment centre this morning, was really bricking it, but it went ok. I had to write a report and do a group exercise, and I think it went alright.

I've got the interview on friday.... [Eek!]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  44  45  46 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016